RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

earsen

Aug 3, 2002, 2:33 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

What about my EBs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I can't believe EB is not in this list of favortite shoes. Mind you this is the company that started it all as far as climbing shoes go back in the fifties. Practically all of yellowstone was first sent in these shoes. What's more shocking, many of their shoes are half the price of the shoes in this poll. I just wore the new Cannibals yesterday, which are only $78, and Go* Da!@ them suckers edged on a dime and have some sticky %$# rubber (and for all you sissies who care about looks, aren't to shabby). I won't pay $140 for friggin scarpa, boreal, 5.10, cadillac or porsche shoes. They're all made the same way and I think any of you who vote for these shoes, while they are great, are overpaying for a shoe that has to pay all the top climbers they are sponsoring, so they jack up the profit margin. Would you still pay $140, even $120 if you knew they only cost $5-10 to make? Real climbers don't measure a shoe by the pictures of sharma, graham, keil, rands, whoeva sending in them. So why are all of you?

pogatin

Aug 3, 2002, 11:04 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

What about my EBs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My Friends and I have all climbed in the EB's and for bouldering and hard sport we have easily agreed that they are the worst shoes ever made. They may be good for trad climbing but in my opinion they are the worst shoe for bouldering and sport. sorry

fiend

Aug 3, 2002, 11:36 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I made the poll I just picked the top shoe companies I could think of, I didn't think EBs were really all that popular anymore but I respect their contribution to where modern shoes are now. Honestly, I haven't ever seen them in a store or really seen a climber wearing a pair that wasn't 20 years old.

It's just a poll not meant to be taken too seriously.

cragstar

Aug 4, 2002, 2:50 AM
Post #4 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only places Ive seen EB's for sale is in discount outdoor outlets.

have a pair...I hate em'

The soles started peeling after the first day of climbing.

[ This Message was edited by: cragstar on 2002-08-03 19:51 ]

coconutz

Aug 4, 2002, 3:17 AM
Post #5 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Real climbers don't measure a shoe by the pictures of sharma, graham, keil, rands, whoeva sending in them. So why are all of you?"

Who are those guys. You seem to know, do you keep up with them?

In all reality, if you have some orginal EBs I'd sell the suckers, especally if they are in good condition. I saw a pair of news ones for sale from Chessler Books in Colorado. They were new, unused and in the box for only $250. Not bad
for that money you could buy two pairs of "caddy" shoes huh? Or I guess you could buy them and look at it like buying a '67 mustang. It's and investment. If I saw some one climbing with EBs on I'd think the same thing about a '67 mustang, CLASSIC

marcel

Aug 4, 2002, 3:35 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back in the days when 5.10 (the rating) was considered imposible and Kultur boots were what all cimbers wore I put on a pair of EB's for the first time and was amazed how easy 5.9 was. EB's lead the way along with RB's for a long time, but today I'll stick with my 5.10 shoes or LaSportiva's!

caveclimber

Aug 5, 2002, 12:14 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started climbing in EBs in the gym I first started climbing in and the owner swears by them as a great beginner shoe. He said once I get a little more technical I should try a more softer shoe.. I also have large feet and it did fit very well.

beyond_gravity

Aug 5, 2002, 4:33 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

EB's suck? what are you talking about! there was this guy at squamish that was trying to dyno to a huge jug and stuck it on like his 12th try!

Oh wait, that problem was V1

the_elk

Aug 6, 2002, 5:22 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

earson:
Get off your pedastal man!
Sure those EB's might suit you, but don't go judgin' the rest of us because we prefer something else!
In the five years I've been climbing I've gone through my fair share of shoes. Everyone has a different preference. Crikey, my preferences have changed. I used to hate Scarpa, because it was practically impossible to find my size here. Boreal were my shoe of choice due to price, and size availabilty. Now I swear by my velcro Dominator Scarpa's, for short, delicate face stuff! WHY? Because they suite my foot. But I wear my 5.10 Anasazzi's on multi pitch stuff because they are a more comfy all day fit.
And while we're at it, I am not swayed by those ads in climbing mags with Sharma cranking on a 5.15! Sure I like the big picture of the man, but I am not gonna go and buy a pair of shoes just because a bloke in a picture wears 'em. I wear what suits my feet.
So don't go telling us what to wear, and I won't go judging your choice of shoe.
Elk

duskerhu

Aug 6, 2002, 6:15 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cut earsen some slack people... He's only pushin' the EB's 'cause he sells gear and thats the ONLY brand of shoes he's got.

Besides, only beyond_gravity buys shoes he sees Sharma wearing, he's such a sender. (just yankin ya b_g)

daisuke

Aug 17, 2002, 2:47 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a friend of mine has EBs which he bought in california, I've tried them on and they're rather decent shoes for a beginner, but they're not all that good
he also bought em for like 130 bucks which is no cheaper than your regular 5.10s...
I wouldn't buy them at all, I love my mythos!

D

climbera5

Aug 28, 2002, 9:01 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I learned to climb on EB's 25 years ago and I have cronic corns on my pinky toes thanks to them! It has made fitting into modern bouldering shoes nearly impossible. So I go for fit and comfort.

No doubt though, shoes make a difference on certain routes!

mesomorf

Sep 5, 2002, 3:43 AM
Post #13 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

earson said:

"Practically all of yellowstone was first sent in these shoes [EBs]."

Man, you must be confused about the geography of all those big states out west.

I'm pretty sure you mean Yosemite, not Yellowstone.

Mesomorf

billcoe_

Sep 5, 2002, 4:16 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps the Tetons?

Not Yosemite or Yellowstone was the intended climbing area??? Unless we're talking about the routes up the Yellowstone lodge chimney. Were those not some early Gill B2's? We could ask as he lurks here? Usually over in the history area.

But seriously:
Why not put the EB's on the list? I have a pair of origonal green shoenards from @ 1973 and I did not see those on the list either. Oh wait: now I see it, if you click "see results" I see my shoenards AND your EB's. There they are. In fact they recieved 3.9 percent of the vote and are catagorised as "others."

Now have a nice day......

Bill

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook