Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Partner tgreene

Aug 26, 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #151 of 194 (33019 views)
Shortcut

Re: CCH Cam Failure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
My first thought when I heard about the recall/failure was how I tried multiple times to stop by CCH in Laramie and get some of my cams looked at and talk to them, possibly pick up some cams. After 3 weeks, I got ahold of someone and his excuse was they were too busy smoking pot (that was summer 2003 and I haven't purchased an Alien since).
Except the recall wasn't in 2003, it was announced on January 12, 2006... What we have here is a 3 year difference between your statement and reality... We also have a very libelous statement that has been made for the sole intent in harming anothers' reputation.

Your statements have also been made with complete anonymity, which to many would show ill intent.

jt512

Aug 26, 2006, 2:12 PM
Post #152 of 194 (33019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
My first thought when I heard about the recall/failure was how I tried multiple times to stop by CCH in Laramie and get some of my cams looked at and talk to them, possibly pick up some cams. After 3 weeks, I got ahold of someone and his excuse was they were too busy smoking pot (that was summer 2003 and I haven't purchased an Alien since).
Except the recall wasn't in 2003, it was announced on January 12, 2006... What we have here is a 3 year difference between your statement and reality... We also have a very libelous statement that has been made for the sole intent in harming anothers' reputation.

Truth is an absolute defense to libel.

Jay

Partner tgreene

Aug 26, 2006, 2:15 PM
Post #153 of 194 (33019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What part of the recall being in the summer is 2003 is true..? :?

dudemanbu

Aug 26, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #154 of 194 (33019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Sorry kids...

OK dad. And by the way, if you think a green Alien and a #1 Ball Nut constitutes "thin :shock:" gear, you need to get out of Arkansas.

I think climbing with Aliens is akin to playing Russian Roulette.

I also completely agree with the statement that these forums should be treated as gossip and critically as such. I vividly remember my 7th grade English teacher telling my class that we need to learn to read and think critically, otherwise the whole world can take advantage of us.

Thats why, IMO, moderation, like that of Mr. Box, and demands to "not cry wolf", like that of Mr. Greene, are just as obnoxious and mind-numbing as the ignorant posts they attempt to address.

HAHHAHAHAH. Trophy for you sir!

dudemanbu

Aug 26, 2006, 3:00 PM
Post #155 of 194 (33019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What part of the recall being in the summer is 2003 is true..? :?

He never said that the recall was in 2003. To paraphrase the OP

When I heard about the recall in 2006, the first thing that came to mind was my experience with CCH in 2003.

Partner tgreene

Aug 26, 2006, 3:05 PM
Post #156 of 194 (33019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Errrr, got it... It was a misread on my part, due to way too much shit going on right now (like as in this very moment - IE: Bachar/Karafa thread.)

dudemanbu

Aug 26, 2006, 3:16 PM
Post #157 of 194 (33019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Errrr, got it... It was a misread on my part, due to way too much s--- going on right now (like as in this very moment - IE: Bachar/Karafa thread.)

Checking that one out myself.

I remember when I first heard about the misdrilled axle holes, as well as their relatively faultless attitude about it. I made a post about how it simply was not good business ethics to not attempt to notify the consumer once they were initially notified. I got chewed out. Hard.

A few months later, the brazing issue was in full swing. The same poor business practices and ethics applied. I kept my mouth shut. I'd already made up my mind about CCH. They acted exactly as I predicted- "not our fault."

Well, technically it wasn't. They didn't braze the cables. They outsourced the work, despite clearly saying on their website that all work was done in house as well as personally inspected. The preceeding statement was obviously a farse.

Finally, Dave saw the light. If he didn't crush this thing he was going to lose his supporters. Maybe he sobered up for a few days. Maybe he started taking his meds. Maybe God himself came to Dave in a dream and told him to get his act together or he was head straight to h-e-doublehockeysticks. Who knows.

CCH did turn their act around. They do now pull test everything they sell. There is little doubt in my mind that anything produced after the recall is as safe as climbing gear can get.

However, the stuff produced before-hand is simply not. I think that's the moral of this thread and incident.

mistertyler

Aug 26, 2006, 3:48 PM
Post #158 of 194 (33019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have anything profound to write, but I did just speak with Dave at CCH and got a quick update from him:

1. He said they contacted the sheriff's office in the area and that they are waiting to hear back from them. (Apparantly the gear in question is being tested.)

2. He's still waiting to be contacted by the party involved in the accident.

3. He mentioned that he's planning on posting an update on this incident as soon as possible (maybe today, and on rc.com).

As has been the case every time I've spoken with him, he was very straightforward and friendly on the phone, and he sounded just as concerned as we all are to obtain the facts of this incident.

Partner tgreene

Aug 26, 2006, 4:29 PM
Post #159 of 194 (33019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As many of you are correctly aware, I've had absolutely zero knowledge or interaction with Aliens or CCH before the 1st of this year.

When all hell broke loose and rumors, accusations and misleading statements began flying, I voluntarily stepped forward in an attempt to keep things on track, rather than appearing like a train wreck.

Over the past several months I have developed a solid report and working relationship w/ CCH, thus when comments begin flying, I'll often be the first to step forth and strongly suggest that we keep to the facts surrounding these incidents.

I have spent a helluva lot of time this past week researching this alleged accident on behalf of CCH, and we've been in constant communication morning, noon & night... Without going into too many details, I can absolutely assure each and every member of the climbing community that this is being taken very seriously, even though no official reports or contacts have yet been made to CCH, nor has any information regarding the allegedly failed cam surfaced. 100% of the information that is known (and still very sketchy at best), we have had to uncover on our own.

As I've stated ad nauseum, in any industry, it is every manufacturers worst nightmare to find out about "alleged" incidents regarding their products, via 3rd party, non-verifiable means... Please keep in mind, that the use of the term "alleged" is because solid, verifiable evidence and proof of such incidents are yet to have surfaced.

We (myself and CCH separately) do know that an accident involving a 20-footer took place as has ultimately been verified by the Cococino County Sheriffs Dept, but absolutely zero specifics other than that have come to light... Again, when something happens that supposedly involves gear from any manufacturer, it's absolutely prudent that they be contacted immediately by someone in the know with full details in regards to who/what/where/when/why/how and most importantly contact information for the "who".

Again (ad nauseum), the information that is currently known, is no more than what has been posted here, except that verification has been confirmed through our (again, myself and CCH separately) own footwork.

- Tim

FWIW: The past week has been very painful and fucked up for me, between this and "the other" tragedy, because I pretty much just care about everyone and always try to look for the best in others and do the best that I'm able in regards to helping anyone and everyone when specific needs arise. To me, supporting CCH in their time of need, is no different than my current fundraising project for Bachar and Acopa during theirs...

Partner ctardi

Aug 27, 2006, 1:44 AM
Post #160 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tgreene - I would just like to point out from earlier, it was not the trigger of the TCU that failed, it was the thumb bar. (Or so the owner said). PM me if you wish to discuss what I think happened.

Partner tgreene

Aug 27, 2006, 1:50 AM
Post #161 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
tgreene - I would just like to point out from earlier, it was not the trigger of the TCU that failed, it was the thumb bar. (Or so the owner said). PM me if you wish to discuss what I think happened.
You are correct... I'm used to single stem cams, so anytime a "bar" is mentioned, I instantly think of it being associated with the trigger.

Partner ctardi

Aug 27, 2006, 2:02 AM
Post #162 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All i've got are U stem cams (other than the 6 friends coming in the mail...) so that raised a flag in my head!

aclove

Aug 27, 2006, 2:55 AM
Post #163 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Your statements have also been made with complete anonymity, which to many would show ill intent.

tgreene, Good job of taking so many swings in such a sort post!
However, I must not be very anonymous to you since you seem to know my intent so well.

Actually, I have no aim to harm CCH. Quite the opposite, I've taken falls from purple to orange on their cams and hope they turn into a solid trustworthy co. and I'll be staying tuned to see if that happens.

So it seems you have forced me to leave my name or something to prove myself. However, I dont really care about that, so I wont give you the satisfaction.

lambone

Aug 27, 2006, 3:49 AM
Post #164 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had many aliens blow on me, all the time.

Well, at least a few times on every wall.

come to think of it...TCU's also...and BD, and WC...yeah I have had pretty much everything blow on me at one time or another.

luckily I was high off the deck, so all I had to do was smoke a cig and go back up and put it in the RIGHT WAY.

If I was right off the deck I probly would have had a couple cams in if possible.

bottom lin, unless the cam is brand new and broken. it is the CLIMBERS own damn fault.

My condolences. :cry:

ridgeclimber

Aug 27, 2006, 3:56 AM
Post #165 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've pretty much stopped following all this shite about CCH. It's not like I expect any cam to hold high factor falls truly reliably. The facts are these:

1. cams are weaker than most other rock protection

and

2. Climbing is friggin dangerous however much you sugar coat it. Still the best sport in the world though.

jt512

Aug 27, 2006, 2:42 PM
Post #166 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have had many aliens blow on me, all the time.

Read much? The placement didn't "blow." The piece broke.

Jay

ridgeclimber

Aug 27, 2006, 3:13 PM
Post #167 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Off topic, but here's an interesting link. If you can wade past the mathetical miasma the guy makes some surprising points. Not saying they are all true, but something to think about next time you make a huge runout on one of your trusty cams.

http://www.amrg.org/...analysis_Attaway.pdf

I don't think he takes into account the effects of a dynamic belay though.

piton

Aug 27, 2006, 3:44 PM
Post #168 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why the lack in details?? you have zero credibility without them.

Also, the new cams ARE being tested.. the cam you are talking about is from '04 why are you attacking CCH's NEW cams for an issue with an OLD cam?

i'd say post up some details or don your flameproof jacket

also, one forum is plenty of coverage for a weak ass story..

nice post jerk off. try keeping your weak ass shut next time. stick to the bouldering forums or spurt forum cause we all know thats where the non real climbers hang out

jt512

Aug 28, 2006, 2:55 AM
Post #169 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've pretty much stopped following all this s--- about CCH. It's not like I expect any cam to hold high factor falls truly reliably. The facts are these:

1. cams are weaker than most other rock protection.

No, actually, cams are plenty strong. A cam should not break in any fall. You don't know what you are talking about.

Jay

ja1484

Aug 28, 2006, 3:11 AM
Post #170 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any cam out there should be more than solid enough to hold together well past the force that would overcome its friction with the rock and tear it out of its placement.

Unless a cam is essentially umbrella chocked, there's no reason for it to blow apart if its placed correctly, regardless of fall factor.

reno

Aug 28, 2006, 4:20 AM
Post #171 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've pretty much stopped following all this s--- about CCH. It's not like I expect any cam to hold high factor falls truly reliably.

Safe to say that you don't carry any cams on your rack, then?

Wanna sell the ones you don't use anymore? I'll pay shipping.

murf

Aug 28, 2006, 4:06 PM
Post #172 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As many of you are correctly aware, I've had absolutely zero knowledge or interaction with Aliens or CCH before the 1st of this year.

Over the past several months I have developed a solid report and working relationship w/ CCH, thus when comments begin flying, I'll often be the first to step forth and strongly suggest that we keep to the facts surrounding these incidents.

I'd like to point out my bolding above for further attention below.

In reply to:
I have spent a helluva lot of time this past week researching this alleged accident on behalf of CCH, and we've been in constant communication morning, noon & night...

So on Aug. 23, when you posted this:
In reply to:
You must have missed the posts about the very recent Metolius and BD failures.

you were actively an employee or contractor of CCH? And given the bolding above, you have been keeping to the facts regarding the Metolious and BD "failures" ( I have to point out here that a trigger malfunction is not a failure )?

In the interest of full disclosure, it would be interesting to note whose money you are taking while spreading disinformation about other manufacturer's.

In reply to:
Sorry kids, but despite your feelings about the way Dave runs things, we can't possibly afford to lose another manufacturer.

You seem more than willing to bash multiple other manufacturers, but won't hear of it when it concerns CCH. Seems odd, does it not?

Murf

ridgeclimber

Aug 28, 2006, 4:08 PM
Post #173 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

You don't know what you are talking about.

Jay

Ha ha, dick thing to say but probably true. But fact is, most other rock pro is rated higher than 15 or 16 kN. You can generate that much force on a top piece, combined weight of fall and belayer on the other side. Would you feel comfortable taking a 150 foot high factor whipper on a cam? Personally I'd consider myself thoroughly fuck ed

bkboyd

Aug 28, 2006, 4:45 PM
Post #174 of 194 (33017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You don't know what you are talking about.

Jay

Ha ha, dick thing to say but probably true. But fact is, most other rock pro is rated higher than 15 or 16 kN. You can generate that much force on a top piece, combined weight of fall and belayer on the other side. Would you feel comfortable taking a 150 foot high factor whipper on a cam? Personally I'd consider myself thoroughly f--- ed

From the Black Diamond site:

#10 hex and #10 stopper rated to 10kn
0.75 camalot rated to 14 kn

From the Metolius site:

larger curved nuts (5-10) rated to 10kn
fat cams sizes 3 to 8 rated to 13.3kn

saxfiend

Aug 28, 2006, 4:54 PM
Post #175 of 194 (32796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Would you feel comfortable taking a 150 foot high factor whipper on a cam? Personally I'd consider myself thoroughly f--- ed
:shock:
I bet I'm not the only one who'd be interested in hearing what kind of pro you've felt "comfortable" on when taking a 150-ft, high-factor fall!

JL

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook