Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
Plastic, It's been grand, but I'm leaving you.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

andypro

Aug 27, 2006, 4:26 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Plastic, It's been grand, but I'm leaving you.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I always read everyone saying "get leathers blah blah blah" ad nauseum, and always thought to myself "screw dat. I likes me plastics"...well...I'm pulling my "soft" boot wearin foot outta my mouth now.

I spent a little while wearing my new Vasque Super Alpinistas around today...I'm speechless. They're so comfortable, so flexible in all the right ways and rigid in all the right ways...easy to walk in...and did I mention comfortable? I started with invernos, and then went to Asolo AFS Guidas. Now these...

Ok, so they're really not a leather. They're a composite with a plasticish lower section (exoframe I think they call it) and a kevlar/leather upper...but I'm takin it one step at a time :wink:

I cant wait till it gets cold. I dont think I'm ever going to wear plastic boots again.

pindrvr75

Aug 27, 2006, 5:03 AM
Post #2 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Re: Plastic, It's been grand, but I'm leaving you. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A quick question(s) on the inner liner. Can it be removed and replaced when it gets worn like the plastics, or does the entire boot have to be replaced? What was the sizing like compared to US sizes?

tallnik

Aug 27, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's go swing some sticks in N. Quebec at -30F and let's see if you'll want your plastics then! If not, then these fit the ticket nicely don't they?

Nik

Partner brent_e

Sep 11, 2006, 6:36 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yup, they're sweet booties!!!

The one nit pick i with them is that crud gets between the plastic that holds the laces and the boot. Washes out ok, though.

Brent

andypro

Sep 11, 2006, 7:38 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoa..I forgot I posted this. I should go through my old posts and see which ones I should respond to more often...

In reply to:
yup, they're sweet booties!!!

The one nit pick i with them is that crud gets between the plastic that holds the laces and the boot. Washes out ok, though.

Brent

I actually had a feeling something like that might happen. I assumed it couldn't be that bad, though, because all the rave reviews the boots get would have mentioned it if it was a serious problem. Only time will tell, I suppose.

As for the uber cold....That's another thing that time will tell in. I dont normally get cold feet. When I worked at the airport refuelling jetliners one season the temps were regularly in the negatives with windchills at -30 to -40, and tha'ts without standing behind a prop plane (That was hell frozen over stuff, lemme tell ya!). If worse comes to worse, I'll just have to get a new pair of plastics (oh darn...why wont my gearwhore self say no to that?! :twisted: ).

Partner brent_e

Sep 11, 2006, 9:56 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I actually had a feeling something like that might happen. I assumed it couldn't be that bad, though, because all the rave reviews the boots get would have mentioned it if it was a serious problem. Only time will tell, I suppose.

i had to grovel through a bit of pine needles and stuff - just snow and you won't have a problem.

In reply to:
As for the uber cold....That's another thing that time will tell in. I dont normally get cold feet. When I worked at the airport refuelling jetliners one season the temps were regularly in the negatives with windchills at -30 to -40, and tha'ts without standing behind a prop plane (That was hell frozen over stuff, lemme tell ya!). If worse comes to worse, I'll just have to get a new pair of plastics (oh darn...why wont my gearwhore self say no to that?! :twisted: ).

your boots probably weren't as tight when you were refueling. But yeah, gear whoring is not that bad!

:lol:

where are you climbing in new york??? I'm just a hop skip and jump across the border from you.

Brent

andypro

Sep 11, 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Technically the pickins are slim here. It's not that bad though. Mostly Zoar Valley, which is a bit south of here. There are a couple places that come in regularly (the "valley" itself is pretty long) and lots of other flows if your willing to explore a bit. nothing really big, but sometimes interesting.

There are other places too that arent very specific in nature. There are some quarries, creeks, and whatnot that will freeze occasionally.

I'm gonna have to re-explore this season as I've been out of the loop for the last two years (broken feet and family issues). I've alwqays wondered about S. Ontario though. I've heard through the grapevine that there wasn't very much that was legally climbable, but after crossing a number of posts on here it seems like you guys arent as bad off as I previously thought.

Partner brent_e

Sep 11, 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Technically the pickins are slim here. It's not that bad though. Mostly Zoar Valley, which is a bit south of here. There are a couple places that come in regularly (the "valley" itself is pretty long) and lots of other flows if your willing to explore a bit. nothing really big, but sometimes interesting.

There are other places too that arent very specific in nature. There are some quarries, creeks, and whatnot that will freeze occasionally.

I'm gonna have to re-explore this season as I've been out of the loop for the last two years (broken feet and family issues). I've alwqays wondered about S. Ontario though. I've heard through the grapevine that there wasn't very much that was legally climbable, but after crossing a number of posts on here it seems like you guys arent as bad off as I previously thought.

so you have found zoar valley, eh? I have seen pictures and have a friend that has climbed there. There looks to be some nice lines!

good about the random stuff. That's mostly what we have heard. But, legally, there is almost no climbing down here that you can do (with a couple exceptions). Tiffany Falls is legal, i think. Other than that I don't know. There are a lot of small stuff. Decew falls (illegal), the tews (which is large but i dont' know if it forms), Devils punchbowl (illegal i think), Niagara gorge (fecking awesome formations but...HIGHLY illegal - you'd probably get shot on the american side where the amazing ice is), Swaze Falls (illegal)....the list goes on. There is a lot of stuff in hamilton and st catherines area (like rockway and balls falls - illegal).

and i've rambled on. If you want to try and climb this winter I might be able to take you out. PM me about more details.

Best

Brent

andypro

Sep 12, 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds fun. Once I get the cobwebs worked out I'll give ya a hollar. Mebby once I get the seasons better lines pinned down around here, I can take you cannuks for a tour. Like a trade :lol:

Partner brent_e

Sep 12, 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a slim chance that I'll be in Zoar with a friend at some point this winter. Maybe we can meet up some day!

Brent

tallnik

Sep 13, 2006, 2:24 AM
Post #11 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Andypro,

I climb regularly at poke-o and in the dacks in general. Ever make it out that way? Good ice there. There's some good stuff up here in QC as well. Gringalet at Pinnacle, Pomme D'Or in Charlevoix, and some local stuff around MTL that goes to two pitches. Oh yeah, I spend some time in Smuggler's Notch too! That's probably my favorite place.

Cheers,
Nik

Partner brent_e

Sep 13, 2006, 2:29 AM
Post #12 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Andypro,

I climb regularly at poke-o and in the dacks in general. Ever make it out that way? Good ice there. There's some good stuff up here in QC as well. Gringalet at Pinnacle, Pomme D'Or in Charlevoix, and some local stuff around MTL that goes to two pitches. Oh yeah, I spend some time in Smuggler's Notch too! That's probably my favorite place.

Cheers,
Nik

Hi Nik,
have you had a chance to do Chouinards?

I don't know if i'll get a chance to get down there but i'd like to try that.

Brent

andypro

Sep 13, 2006, 4:25 AM
Post #13 of 13 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Andypro,

Cheers,
Nik

Havn't done any ice out that way as of yet. Not for lack of want, though. Just for lack of chance. My sister has decided she wants to be the uber partner, though, so we're gonna be doin alot more travelling and tripping. I've seen some of the stuff up there and it looks like a grand ole time. I've also heard some horror stories of your weather :shock: But that only adds to the fun, eh? :wink:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook