Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Good video with BASIC climbing techniques?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

tchiker

Sep 2, 2006, 5:36 PM
Post #1 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Good video with BASIC climbing techniques?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I'm mainly a hiker but would like to learn some basic climbing techniques to make "scrambling" a little easier and safer. Does anyone know a good instructional video/DVD that teaches really basic techniques?

I don't mind if it has some more advanced Class 4 techniques too and those would be fun to learn, but I'm mainly after something that will mainly help me with Class 3 terrain. Thanks...

[EDIT note: I changed "bouldering" above to "scrambling" because I was clearly misusuing the term "bouldering"...thanks for the correction]

djoseph

Sep 2, 2006, 5:54 PM
Post #2 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Re: Good video with BASIC climbing techniques? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi, I'm mainly a hiker but would like to learn some basic climbing techniques to make bouldering a little easier and safer. Does anyone know a good instructional video/DVD that teaches really basic techniques? I don't mind if it has some more advanced Class 4 techniques too and those would be fun to learn, but I'm mainly after something that will mainly help me with Class 3 terrain. Thanks...

Hi Tchiker. To clarify some language issues:

- "Bouldering" refers to class-5 equivalent climbing, without ropes. The "easiest" (V0) bouldering problems are usually equivalent to a 5.10 YDS scale route.
- If you're looking for tips on scrambling over class3/class4 terrain, it might be best to check a hikers' site.

Good luck,
Dan

tchiker

Sep 2, 2006, 6:00 PM
Post #3 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok thanks for the correction and I apologize for the innaccurate use of language, but I'm not looking for scrambing "tips", but a video that shows basic climbing techniques...as I said if it also shows more advanced techniques as well, that is fine too.

I just think I could learn some better scrambing techniques froms such a video, and I may even decide to try some real "climbing" at some point as well. But I'm a total beginner, so the most basic instructional video would be the best and all new to me.

djoseph

Sep 2, 2006, 6:09 PM
Post #4 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi -- again, there's little if any overlap (IMO) between third-class scrambling and fifth-class climbing.

However, I'll happily put in a plug for our friend Doug's "Self Coached Climber," which contains (I believe) a DVD of videos:

http://www.amazon.com/.../0811733394?v=glance

Might be fun to read/watch, even if you're just thinking about climbing.

Dan

tchiker

Sep 2, 2006, 8:58 PM
Post #5 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about fourth class climbing? Or does that not exist as some suggest?

redlegrangerone

Sep 3, 2006, 4:02 PM
Post #6 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The dvd in The Self Coached Climber is very good.

timm

Sep 3, 2006, 4:16 PM
Post #7 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What about fourth class climbing? Or does that not exist as some suggest?

4th class climbing does exist. It is mainly just scrambling (using your hands for balance) where experienced climbers would not use a rope but a fall would be dangerous/deadly. You will encounter it in mountaineering and alpine climbing. I would not call it "bouldering" as you did in your original post. I think your usage of term "bouldering" may be confusing people.

What exactly are your objectives ??

Tim

tchiker

Sep 3, 2006, 5:08 PM
Post #8 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, my objectives are to learn some techniques that will make it safer and easier to climb over rocks when I go hiking. For instance, I want to try the Mountaineer's Route up Mount Whitney and I'm going to do some hiking (not pure climbing) at Joshua Tree in January and I figure some basic rock climbing skills would be helpful.

I was even thinking I could even get some rope and basic tools if I learned enough about climbing and wanted to incorporate that into some of my hiking...that would allow me to feel more comfortable with more challenging hikes that involved a bit of climbing. Who knows...maybe I would get more into the climbing aspect of it if I tried it a bit more.

timm

Sep 3, 2006, 5:25 PM
Post #9 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tchiker, thanks for the clarification.

The climbing techniques that you would use are going to be the same for class 3, 4, and 5 climbing. The only differences whether ropes are involved for safety and difficulty of the moves.

The previously mentioned DVD is fine for learning climbing moves and techniques. Make sure you practice in a safe environment.

Another option is take a introductory climbing class with a qualified guide. Sorry for for the shameless plug but I guide/teach in the Eastern Sierra as well as Joshua Tree so I may be available. I can also recommend other guides that guide Mt Whitney. PM for more info if interested.

Tim

tchiker

Sep 3, 2006, 5:32 PM
Post #10 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok thanks...I always thought that climbing that used ropes was very different than without ropes, but perhaps this isn't the case. I guess I will try to get one of the books (perhaps that one with the DVD) and learn what I can.

I see there are some climbling classes here in Atlanta, so perhaps I'll check those out, even though they may be overkill to some extent. I've never had great upper body strength (can't do many pullups), so I don't think I'd be great at climbing, but maybe I could do well enough to get by if I learned some techniques.

timm

Sep 3, 2006, 5:35 PM
Post #11 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For your class 3 and 4 climbing you are interested in doing, there is very little need for upper body strength. You will be climbing mostly thru footwork and your legs. Even most class 5 climbing doesn't require lots of upper body strength. Only the harder routes and overhanding routes require lots of upper body strength.

Don't let your preceived "lack" of strength deter you from taking a class. Good technique will take you further than pure strength.

leapinlizard

Sep 3, 2006, 5:41 PM
Post #12 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok thanks...I always thought that climbing that used ropes was very different than without ropes, but perhaps this isn't the case. I guess I will try to get one of the books (perhaps that one with the DVD) and learn what I can.

I see there are some climbling classes here in Atlanta, so perhaps I'll check those out, even though they may be overkill to some extent. I've never had great upper body strength (can't do many pullups), so I don't think I'd be great at climbing, but maybe I could do well enough to get by if I learned some techniques.

Believe it or not, most climbs are based on foot placement and not as much on upper body strength. Granted there are many that require both, but I think if you took a class say at granite mountain, you may be surprised. I would highly recommend that you take a day long class from someone that knows what they are doing. It will give you a much better, and safer idea of what you need to know.

tchiker

Sep 3, 2006, 5:45 PM
Post #13 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I will take a class here in Atlanta at some point in the future. But it seems like it teaches on a "climbing wall" and I don't know how similar that would be to scrambling over rocks. But I'm sure I could learn some cool things from a beginner class.

That is encouraging if upper body strength is not that critical to the kind of climbing I want to do. I really just want to learn some basic techniques as I usually don't know what to do when climbing up some rocks, like at Joshua Tree. I mean I managed to get up them, but I wish I knew a safer/easier way if there is one.

The climbing down part is actually much more difficult for me. I was thinking that maybe I could use some kind of rope for that in some really dicey situations if I learned a bit more about climbing techniques.

timm

Sep 3, 2006, 5:53 PM
Post #14 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You will be able to learn alot about basic climbing technique even on an indoor wall. Just remember that when climbing outside that the holds aren't marked with colored tape :-)

Climbing down always seems harder than climbing up but with better climbing technique you will develop more confidence to downclimb. This is a skill that is easy and fun to practice on an indoor wall.

Climbing in Joshua Tree is mostly about footwork and friction between your shoes and the rock.

tchiker

Sep 3, 2006, 6:00 PM
Post #15 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just found some encouraging information that a park near me where I go hike (Sawnee Mountain Preserve) has had some rock climbing instruction in the past, but I dont' think they have a regular schedule of it. It'd be great if I could take a class there though.

It seems like the main phase of the park that will offer the climbing instruction hasn't opened yet though, but maybe they still have periodic classes.

http://www.forsythco.com/DeptPage.asp?DeptID=40&PageID=491

I guess you are right that beginner practicing is probably better at an indoor wall where there is little to no risk of serious injury.

I was reading about a hike up Mount Russell in the High Sierra and it seemed like it had a good bit of exposed Class 3 and 4 climbing. It'd be great if I learned enough (and had enough experience) where I'd feel comfortable enough to attempt such a climb. But I'm not counting on that, and right now I'll just try to learn a bit to make my Joshua Tree trip a bit safer and more fun.

tchiker

Sep 3, 2006, 6:08 PM
Post #16 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent, I just found this on the Sawnee Mountain calendar page

http://www.sawneemountain.org/calendar.html

"
Rock Climbing 101

This Saturday 5-hour class focuses on the basics of safe climbing while teaching good habits for future climbing adventures. The fundamentals of knot tying, equipment usage and belay skills will be covered early to allow plenty of time for rock climbing. Climbing techniques will be addressed throughout the day to help and challenge participant's personal climbing skills. Participants should bring water and a lunch. The program is open to adults and children 12 and older.
"

That sounds perfect for me and I'm definitely going to try to take the class, even though the $60 fee is kind of steep. I think it will be worth it though. (They even have a tree climbing class which is $200, but I doubt I'll need that skill).

I think I will get a book/video first and study that and then maybe take the indoor class (just $37) and then do the outdoor thing....should be a good start.

hess

Sep 11, 2006, 5:07 PM
Post #17 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey tchiker,

This video doesn't cover technique but if you're going to Joshua to hike it covers the full gamut from class 1 to 4 (there's also a section devoted to class 5 if you decide to give it a try). http://www.cragcam.com/JTNPmain.html might be useful...

tchiker

Sep 24, 2006, 3:46 AM
Post #18 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks I bought the DVD you referred to and it has actually been helpful in planning my trip, as well as being somewhat entertaining.

jt512

Sep 24, 2006, 4:47 AM
Post #19 of 19 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The dvd in The Self Coached Climber is very good.

Yeah, the 3rd class exercises in that video will really be useful. The section on palming alone will completely transform your 3rd class scrambling. Be sure to check out the section at the end where Chris Lindner demonstrates world-class tactics for 3rd-classing some of his ground-breaking efforts.

Jay

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook