First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

pinktricam

Sep 6, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #1 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

I feel like a turd...
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in the backyard late yesterday afternoon when I came across a most beautiful and interesting creature perched on a bush:

http://images.enature.com/...lies_l/BU0655_1l.jpg

It's a Shaus Swallowtail (Papilio aristodemus ponceanus). I'd never seen a butterfly like this before. I was fascinated and was inspired right then and there to start a collection. You know, like one of those framed pieces with the scientific classification written neatly below each perfectly preserved specimen. I got a wide mouthed jar and a net and bagged it without any problem and to keep it from fluttering and tearing itself up in the confined space I dropped in a laquer thinner soaked cotton ball. It was dead in minutes.

Here's the problem: I just looked it up on the Internet and came to find out that it's on the freakin' endangered species list. Bummer. It made me sick to my stomach. I'm generally very conscientious when it comes to conservation issues.

The creature is usually limited to the Upper Keys. I'm thinking Ernesto must've blown her up towards us here (95 miles north of Miami)! Poor thing...to survive the hurricane only to be done in by my enthusiasm and ignorance. Ah well, she'll still look good prettily framed on my wall.

shakylegs

Sep 6, 2006, 3:44 PM
Post #2 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Re: I feel like a turd... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you a lepidopterist?
Shit happens, let it go.
Now, were you to tell me that you ate Chilean sea bass on the weekend, I'd have a problem with that. (Because that would mean less for me.)

Partner macherry

Sep 6, 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #3 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've never understood the need to 'bag and tag' wildlife to appreciate it.

take a photo next time ptc and frame it

dingus

Sep 6, 2006, 3:50 PM
Post #4 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah that would make me feel like shit too. But I do hope this nips your animal collection urge in the bud. I think its out of place in today's world.

DMT

pinktricam

Sep 6, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #5 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Are you a lepidopterist?
No, merely a dilettante.

In reply to:
Now, were you to tell me that you ate Chilean sea bass on the weekend, I'd have a problem with that. (Because that would mean less for me.)
Ahhh, my favorite ceviche!

Partner epoch

Sep 6, 2006, 4:18 PM
Post #6 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Murderer....................

Partner tattooed_climber

Sep 6, 2006, 4:24 PM
Post #7 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i've never understood the need to 'bag and tag' wildlife to appreciate it.

take a photo next time ptc and frame it

word

hunting for food is one thing, for sport or collection is fucking reTARDed

"NOTHING SAYS I LOVE NATURE MORE THAN KILLING IT"

i'm sure your god will forgive you

wjca

Sep 6, 2006, 4:24 PM
Post #8 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was in the backyard late yesterday afternoon when I came across a most beautiful and interesting creature perched on a bush:

http://images.enature.com/...lies_l/BU0655_1l.jpg

It's a Shaus Swallowtail (Papilio aristodemus ponceanus). I'd never seen a butterfly like this before. I was fascinated and was inspired right then and there to start a collection. You know, like one of those framed pieces with the scientific classification written neatly below each perfectly preserved specimen. I got a wide mouthed jar and a net and bagged it without any problem and to keep it from fluttering and tearing itself up in the confined space I dropped in a laquer thinner soaked cotton ball. It was dead in minutes.

Here's the problem: I just looked it up on the Internet and came to find out that it's on the freakin' endangered species list. Bummer. It made me sick to my stomach. I'm generally very conscientious when it comes to conservation issues.

The creature is usually limited to the Upper Keys. I'm thinking Ernesto must've blown her up towards us here (95 miles north of Miami)! Poor thing...to survive the hurricane only to be done in by my enthusiasm and ignorance. Ah well, she'll still look good prettily framed on my wall.

So not only have you selfishly destroyed something of beauty that your God put on this planet (not for your personal amusement and joy by the way), you have admitted on a world wide forum to violating the Endangered Species Act. The way I read it (Section 11), you owe Uncle Sam $500. Way to go, ass.

http://www.fws.gov/Endangered/esaall.pdf

Partner taualum23

Sep 6, 2006, 4:44 PM
Post #9 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah,
Pinky, my first visit in months, and I see you've chosen a new target. Good call. It will be easier to eliminate butterflies than gays.

Hope all is well with the rest of you,
Josh

zozo

Sep 6, 2006, 4:49 PM
Post #10 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a dream.....

It goes like this.....

An alien species makes it's way to earth. Florida to be exact, and see's an interesting specimen of a over-abundant form of life walking down the street, PTC to be exact.

The aliens decide to start a collection so they pick him him up and drop him in a vat of varnish. He's gone in minuets.

robbovius

Sep 6, 2006, 5:05 PM
Post #11 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as a child, I once played "batter up!" with a canoe paddle, and a hapless green crab. another time, I threw a toad up in the air as high as I could, just to see what kind of noise it would make when it landed...I still cringe and feel remorse at the memory. makes no difference though...

...I'LL SEE YOU IN HELL, PINKY :twisted:

traddad

Sep 6, 2006, 5:12 PM
Post #12 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm from the Fish and Wildlife Service....and I'm here to help.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/...225px-RigidCuffs.jpg

madriver

Sep 6, 2006, 5:14 PM
Post #13 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Jeffery Dahmer started out this way....

love always
MaD 8^)

devils_advocate

Sep 6, 2006, 6:08 PM
Post #14 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...and to keep it from fluttering and tearing itself up in the confined space I dropped in a laquer thinner soaked cotton ball. It was dead in minutes.

... I'm generally very conscientious when it comes to conservation issues.

So do you have some sort of formula you use to decide when you should be conscientious of life and when you should kill something so that you may keep it as a trophy?

If you're still having trouble getting over this, just reassure yourself that it was a gay butterfly and deserved to die.

pinktricam

Sep 6, 2006, 6:32 PM
Post #15 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
...and to keep it from fluttering and tearing itself up in the confined space I dropped in a laquer thinner soaked cotton ball. It was dead in minutes.

... I'm generally very conscientious when it comes to conservation issues.

So do you have some sort of formula you use to decide when you should be conscientious of life and when you should kill something so that you may keep it as a trophy?
It's a collection, not a 'trophy', and no, there's no formula...it was a regrettably impulsive act, but now that I'm on a roll I'd also like to add these:

The Viceroy
http://www.richard-seaman.com/...eroyInDaisyPatch.jpg

The Monarch
http://www.richard-seaman.com/...chOnYellowFlower.jpg

The Buckeye
http://www.richard-seaman.com/...flyWingsExtended.jpg

...and the Luna (which is technically a moth)
http://pbskids.org/...1085_discovery_f.jpg

shakylegs

Sep 6, 2006, 6:48 PM
Post #16 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

...and the Luna (which is technically a moth)

So is the viceroy, which, ahem, evolved to mimic the Monarch.

pinktricam

Sep 6, 2006, 9:02 PM
Post #17 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you certainly seem to know your lepidopterology. Tell me, are there other species of moths that have, ahem, developed mimicry through pre-existing genetic variables? I seem to remember something about light/dark moths and tree bark.

shakylegs

Sep 6, 2006, 9:07 PM
Post #18 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, never really studied mimicry.
I do know, however, that the scales from the wings of hundreds of moths (research) can cause major problems if they get in your lungs.

madriver

Sep 6, 2006, 9:20 PM
Post #19 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shakylegs wrote:

In reply to:
I do know, however, that the scales from the wings of hundreds of moths (research) can cause major problems if they get in your lungs.

...smokin moth wings is just wrong....

Partner bear829

Sep 6, 2006, 9:23 PM
Post #20 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
shakylegs wrote:

In reply to:

...smokin moth wings is just wrong....

But its just so cool to smoke moth wings. Its like doing Toad, man, you just can't stop. :lol:

madriver

Sep 6, 2006, 9:33 PM
Post #21 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

honestly though ...your title envokes the image of the older brother in "Weird Science" when he gets turned into a pile of shit....

wjca

Sep 6, 2006, 9:48 PM
Post #22 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
honestly though ...your title envokes the image of the older brother in "Weird Science" when he gets turned into a pile of s---....

"Wyatt, I'm sorry for being such a ... shit to you all these years."

clausti

Sep 6, 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #23 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, you certainly seem to know your lepidopterology. Tell me, are there other species of moths that have, ahem, developed mimicry through pre-existing genetic variables? I seem to remember something about light/dark moths and tree bark.

i'm sorry, what was it you called the process by which an organism is able to be physically dissimilar to its progentors though the range of genetic variation? was that descent by modification?

you are thinking of the peppered moth. the moth comes in two main phenotypes [physically/visually distinguishable types, and different from genotype because phenotypes can hide reccessive genes in "carriers"]: white with dark speckles and predominantly grey. prior to the industrial revolution, the predominant phenotype was white with speckles. the moths' day resting place is in forests, which had lighter barked trees before pollution became a serious issue. then the industrial revolution happened, and the trees themselves darkened. light moths stand out more against darker trees. if you stand out more, you are likely to get eaten by a bird. if you get eaten by a bird, you are not likely to reproduce. if you do not reproduce, your genes are not passed. on the other hand, if you do *not* get eaten by a bird, and you do reproduce, your genes are passed. so even if your genes were rarer in previos generations, if moths with genes like you get eaten less, you guys will have more moths in the next generation, and in that generation the allelic frequencies will change.

when the clean air laws started being inacted, the trees lightened again. the white with speckles phenotype is once again more common.

pinktricam

Sep 6, 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #24 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, that's it, that's the example I was thinking about!

Pre-existing genetic variables...a truly amazing design by The Master, eh!?!

Imagine, if you will, at one time there were only two moths, or was it two butterflies with hundreds, if not thousands of these genetic variables contained within their DNA. Now we have literally hundreds of subspecies, each developed for its own unique environment and I have to come along and kill one of the more rare ones. Stupid land developers... stupid hurricane winds...stupid collection impulse.

jacobg

Sep 7, 2006, 12:36 AM
Post #25 of 57 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sux for the butterfly... atleast you got it though! it'll be good to sac chicks, just show it to them and tell them you killed an endangered butterfly.. they will be all over you in minutes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook