Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
granite_grrl fell @ mt nemo (sun july 23) please read
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Partner brent_e

Sep 4, 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #326 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Re: granite_grrl fell @ mt nemo (sun july 23) please read [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

UPDATE as of Sept 3,

Rebecca, as of last night was at home, which Nate posted earlier! She'll likely be posting in person soon (when she gets web access). She's doing great and is on her way!

I don't think i'll post any more updates after this one as there is really no need (i think i've said this before). Maybe in the future when she starts leading above the grades I can climb (as usual) i'll post something. :D But as of now all i can do is thank this community for the support, well wishes, cards, gifts, chocolates, prayers, and just general good spirit that certainly pushed Rebecca onwards in her recovery. It was an absolutely beautiful thing that you people have done and I am happy and proud to be a part of this community.

Thank you all for everything. You have been excellent.

Best regards

Brent Elliott

fenix83

Sep 4, 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #327 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hooooooo-rah!

-F

overlord

Sep 5, 2006, 8:15 AM
Post #328 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://friendsforever.foren-city.de/images/smiles/a084.gifhttp://friendsforever.foren-city.de/images/smiles/a084.gifhttp://friendsforever.foren-city.de/images/smiles/a084.gif

im really glad to hear that.

tb69hikeclimb

Sep 5, 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #329 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D thanks for the update great news, being home is often the best medicine ,good to hear.thanks to Rebecca I now always wear my helmet not just for ice anymore :D (this embarrasses my girlfriend when we go out to eat :lol: ) thanks climb high climb safe

chossmonkey

Sep 7, 2006, 3:54 PM
Post #330 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rebecca is now officially discharged from the hospital. :D

She still has lots of appointments and recovery to go but this is one big step we are SUPER happy to have behind us.

She should be posting up her for herself here soon.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

granite_grrl

Sep 7, 2006, 4:19 PM
Post #331 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
She should be posting up her for herself here soon.

Thank you Mr. Monkey, I guess I'll be back in the world of internet posting, and I've gotta keep ahead of you catching up with your posts. So I'm much happier at home, the hospital was driving me crazy. I still have healing to go, was told to keep the weight of my right leg for another few weeks to make sure everything heals well and doesn't shift.

I do still have the desire to climb. Nathan was good enough to dig out old back issues of climbing mags. Looking at the photos started with butterflies in my stomac, then later the butterflies only happened when I tought of leading again. But looking at the photos of the beautiful cracks my first thought was of leading them, and I still have the desire. Mind you I think i'll start off really slow, and I think I'll avoid any areas with bad or runout gear or big frequent ledges.

When I go back to the fracture clinic again I think I'll ask how long it'll take before its safe to wear a harness again (fractured pelvis.....that's gotta heal well before I don a harness). And maybe I'll be able to play on ice and in the gym this winter.

Partner epoch

Sep 7, 2006, 5:24 PM
Post #332 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Woot!!!!!!!!1

It's great to hear that you are back at home, albiet still wrapped up. Heal well. The seasons will come in due time and you'll be able to enjoy it again.

~J

fenix83

Sep 7, 2006, 6:13 PM
Post #333 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be doing the happy dance if I wasn't supposed to be taking notes during a conference right now... might get me in trouble with the higher-ups.

Great to hear you are healing so well, in body and in soul.

-F

rockguide

Sep 7, 2006, 6:23 PM
Post #334 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome back! :D

Partner abe_ascends

Sep 7, 2006, 6:24 PM
Post #335 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to hear yer back home and healing!! :D :D :D

Partner brent_e

Sep 8, 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #336 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SWEET!

welcome back Rebecca!!! :D

Brent

vegastradguy

Sep 8, 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #337 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

welcome back for sure! glad to hear that you're doing well!

corniaud

Sep 13, 2006, 2:33 PM
Post #338 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome back Rebecca!... :D

titanium_bones

Sep 14, 2006, 6:32 PM
Post #339 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey there,

just wanted to offer some belated solidarity. i'm the guy who fell at buffalo crag, about 3 weeks before you took your tumble at Nemo. I was released 4 days before you got to Hamilton General. When I heard about your accident I hobbled up to check in with you on the sixth floor, -- after my fracture clinic followup -- but you were already gone. Glad to hear you're back home and recovering. Maybe we can meet up in Milton in a year or two for a special gimp climbing trip (though I'm currently operating under a lifetime spousal climbing ban). Or maybe we'll run into each other at the fracture clinic -- we can compare femurs!

congrats on your release. all the best healing wishes,

Matt

svilnit

Sep 14, 2006, 6:53 PM
Post #340 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hey there,

just wanted to offer some belated solidarity. i'm the guy who fell at buffalo crag, about 3 weeks before you took your tumble at Nemo. I was released 4 days before you got to Hamilton General. When I heard about your accident I hobbled up to check in with you on the sixth floor, -- after my fracture clinic followup -- but you were already gone. Glad to hear you're back home and recovering. Maybe we can meet up in Milton in a year or two for a special gimp climbing trip (though I'm currently operating under a lifetime spousal climbing ban). Or maybe we'll run into each other at the fracture clinic -- we can compare femurs!

Matt

Titanium_Bones, that's a fantastic name! Not fantastic that you got hurt, but it gave you a hell of a nickname ;)

Partner the_mitt

Sep 14, 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #341 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(This post was edited by the_mitt on Nov 19, 2006, 9:31 PM)

ter_bee

Sep 16, 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #342 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

welcome back from a total stranger! come see us at the red when you get well.

sniff! yay! sniff!

terbie

ps. hooray too for titanium bones, what with the coolest username ever. maybe get a divorce?

granite_grrl

Sep 19, 2006, 4:44 PM
Post #343 of 354 (68018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hey there,

Matt

Ouch. Right now I'm not too keen on the idea of any of the Milton crags, they've left a bad taste in my mouth. Yeah, I got to play nospital musical chairs...three different hospitals, so its not a suprize that I was already gone when you tried to visit me.

Meeting up at the fracture clinic! Funny. I'm actually schecduled to go back in two more weeks...it'll be my third time there, so you never know, we may run into each other sometime :wink: .

timstich

Sep 20, 2006, 12:36 AM
Post #344 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice to hear your progress. Glad you are recovering well. :D

mountainman

Sep 20, 2006, 1:00 AM
Post #345 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't met you yet, but reading of your accident was shocking and saddening. Hearing of your progress makes me sing praises to the creator of our self healing organism.

However long it takes, love your body. There sure is a lot of love for you out here.

Hope to meet you on the rocks!

titanium_bones

Sep 20, 2006, 3:17 PM
Post #346 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
hey there,

Matt

Ouch. Right now I'm not too keen on the idea of any of the Milton crags, they've left a bad taste in my mouth. Yeah, I got to play nospital musical chairs...three different hospitals, so its not a suprize that I was already gone when you tried to visit me.

Meeting up at the fracture clinic! Funny. I'm actually schecduled to go back in two more weeks...it'll be my third time there, so you never know, we may run into each other sometime :wink: .

fair enough about Milton. I'll look for you at the fracture clinic -- I don't go back for 5 weeks, though. in any case, keep in touch, ping me if you're ever up in toronto, i'd love to trade horror stories (though maybe you're thoroughly sick of the whole thing).

solidarity,
Matt

chossmonkey

Sep 24, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #347 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was laying in bed this morning and realized that yesterday was two months since Rebecca fell. I can't help but be amazed at the recovery she has made so far.

Two months ago yesterday I didn't know if she would ever be able to walk, talk, or even think for herself again. Life was HELL. I was 12 hours away, I new very little about what had happened to her, and over the phone I had to consent to BRAIN SURGERY!!!

Today it would be hard to tell what has happened to her by seeing her hobble by on her crutches. She still has a ways to go before she makes a complete recovery but she is healing well.

Hopefully next week she will finally be able to bear weight on her broken half and start working on walking like a normal person.

mazzystr

Oct 4, 2006, 5:39 AM
Post #348 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Rebecca,
I just came across this thread. I'm so happy that you survived and recovered well from your fall. It really pains me to hear about accidents up there. I cut my trad teeth on the escarpment. I cut my climbing admist a raging thunderstorm teeth on the escarpment too...a couple of times at that, heheh. It was like a second home to me. It has definately brought so much colour to my life hanging out up there.

I took a flight myself at Buffalo Crag three years ago. I flew on a route about 20feet left of Rainy Day Woman...I think it was called Pain Ingot(5.9X). Yes, I climbed an X route when I was a barely a 5.8 trad climber...I was on the wrong route and continued the route because I kept pulling the crux moves and felt good and felt protected. Three pieces pulled. I knew they would so it was no surprise. I just didnt count on falling at that section. The flight was about 35-40ft and left me upside down and about two feet from the ground with my hands on the ground. I tell ya it was a sweet climb and I have to say it was one of the most memorable and best climbing I've ever done (excluding the flight part). It was totally beyond my climbing ability at the time and I really had no business being on it. HOWEVER...I learned more on that 40feet then I have in the numerous routes and trips I've been on including the three months that I just spent in Yosemite. I remember every single move, piece of rock, texture, i remember the smell in the air, the people that were present...everything. I CANT'T remember ever pushing myself so hard... or ever wanting to pull down so hard on routes either before or after.

I understand the bad taste you have about the climbing on the Escarpment. I haven't gone as often as I used to either and I certainly avoided Buffalo Crag knowing that Pain Ingot was there...waiting. This spring I went back to Buffalo Crag for the first time since the accident. I was distraught to see that time hadn't served Pain Ingot well. An essential stance has disappeared and it really looked chossy at the crux area. My feelings were compared to seeing a girlfriend from days past and seeing that she was happy with someone else. It was a really strange feeling like that over a piece of rock but that day is now part of me and I feel much stronger in body and mind having experienced it.

The point of all this is...the escarpment is a special place to all of us in many ways. Theres something special up there. Don't discount the entire area as a chossy exfoliating pile. Don't be afraid of the Escarpment either. Get on Dufte or Helmut's Route or Butterfingers the list of great routes goes on. The love will come back. Rainy Day Woman did it for me...

Speaking of the helmet idea...I think it's an awesome idea. After my fall, I thought of myself like Icarus the greek god with wax wings who flew too close to the sun and had his wings melted fell into the sea. So I drew wings on my helmut. I know another guy who fell and broke both ankles at The Red. He drew the mayan god of war on side and the mayan god of love on the other. I have another buddy who got clunked on the head by a toaster sized rock. His helmut saved his life too. He drew a red bulls eye on the top of his white helmut. Its hilarious in a sadistic way. I good idea for a helmut decor is hard to find. Stickers are soooo passe, heh.

Ug, Sorry for this being so long :)

Climb hard, Climb safe, Climb on
-Chris Callegari

mazzystr

Oct 4, 2006, 5:40 AM
Post #349 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Rebecca,
I just came across this thread. I'm so happy that you survived and recovered well from your fall. It really pains me to hear about accidents up there. I cut my trad teeth on the escarpment. I cut my climbing admist a raging thunderstorm teeth on the escarpment too...a couple of times at that, heheh. It was like a second home to me. It has definately brought so much colour to my life hanging out up there.

I took a flight myself at Buffalo Crag three years ago. I flew on a route about 20feet left of Rainy Day Woman...I think it was called Pain Ingot(5.9X). Yes, I climbed an X route when I was a barely a 5.8 trad climber...I was on the wrong route and continued the route because I kept pulling the crux moves and felt good and felt protected. Three pieces pulled. I knew they would so it was no surprise. I just didnt count on falling at that section. The flight was about 35-40ft and left me upside down and about two feet from the ground with my hands on the ground. I tell ya it was a sweet climb and I have to say it was one of the most memorable and best climbing I've ever done (excluding the flight part). It was totally beyond my climbing ability at the time and I really had no business being on it. HOWEVER...I learned more on that 40feet then I have in the numerous routes and trips I've been on including the three months that I just spent in Yosemite. I remember every single move, piece of rock, texture, i remember the smell in the air, the people that were present...everything. I CANT'T remember ever pushing myself so hard... or ever wanting to pull down so hard on routes either before or after.

I understand the bad taste you have about the climbing on the Escarpment. I haven't gone as often as I used to either and I certainly avoided Buffalo Crag knowing that Pain Ingot was there...waiting. This spring I went back to Buffalo Crag for the first time since the accident. I was distraught to see that time hadn't served Pain Ingot well. An essential stance has disappeared and it really looked chossy at the crux area. My feelings were compared to seeing a girlfriend from days past and seeing that she was happy with someone else. It was a really strange feeling like that over a piece of rock but that day is now part of me and I feel much stronger in body and mind having experienced it.

The point of all this is...the escarpment is a special place to all of us in many ways. Theres something special up there. Don't discount the entire area as a chossy exfoliating pile. Don't be afraid of the Escarpment either. Get on Dufte or Helmut's Route or Butterfingers the list of great routes goes on. The love will come back. Rainy Day Woman did it for me...

Speaking of the helmet idea...I think it's an awesome idea. After my fall, I thought of myself like Icarus the greek god with wax wings who flew too close to the sun and had his wings melted fell into the sea. So I drew wings on my helmut. I know another guy who fell and broke both ankles at The Red. He drew the mayan god of war on side and the mayan god of love on the other. I have another buddy who got clunked on the head by a toaster sized rock. His helmut saved his life too. He drew a red bulls eye on the top of his white helmut. Its hilarious in a sadistic way. I good idea for a helmut decor is hard to find. Stickers are soooo passe, heh.

-Chris Callegari

mazzystr

Oct 4, 2006, 5:40 AM
Post #350 of 354 (68016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Rebecca,

-Chris Callegari

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook