Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rhythm164

May 16, 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #26 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Re: Question for you all [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dude, I think he was making a joke... :roll:

slidell_rocks_rld

May 17, 2006, 1:13 AM
Post #27 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

John, everyone still thinks New Orleans is 80% filled with water they won't listen. N.O has come a very long way. I think your idea is great, as long as you keep it cleaner than ClimbMax :D

P.S. If you do open a gym, still come see us at Slidell Rocks

oh yeah, as a side note, congrats on finishing the ceiling.

May 17, 2006, 1:37 AM
Post #28 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it is a great idea (non-profit or co-op)!

I would be willing to donate once you actually had a plan and non-profit status. There has to be someone in NO that has some expertise in non-profit organizations. Search them out. If you really want to see this happen, invest some time to get it rolling.

People need jobs, which mean people need to spend money. Some money currently being spent in NO is going to leave with the contractors when the work is done (some day). Not all of it, just some. I know becasue my friends have earned good money down there, and now they are back in WA to spend it. Working 6 to 7 days a week 12 hours a day leaves little time to do much else but sleep!

Ken

t-dog
Deleted

May 17, 2006, 3:40 AM
Post #29 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Won't your gym just get destroyed in the next hurricane?

Phazed, shut the hell up!! So does this mean we should not build any more skyscrapers in NYC because they will just be destroyed when the next plane flies into them?

I haven't kept a tally, but I'm gonna venture out and say that the frequency of hurricanes rolling through the NO area is *slightly* higher than that of planes flying into NYC buildings.

Just a guess though, will have to look up the numbers..... :roll: :roll:

coolmn

May 18, 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #30 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cmon now!! obviously since it was built on donations and help o other people all profit would go back into the gym....This is not a plan for me to make money or live on.

coolmn

May 18, 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #31 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rythym. how in gods name do you know what the city needs?? Probably from the news, which is nothing than a bunch of crap!! Your not living here everyday the city is thriving and doing well. its not like we are all here miserable. What the city needs to be done is being done. there is Nothing more that i or you can do about it. TRUST ME!!! and this gym would be helping others as there is absolutly nothing for kids to do. Look this really has nothing to do with politics i asked a simple question, and all i need is a simple answer not a bunch of political mojo from someone who isnt here first hand

gogo

May 18, 2006, 1:56 AM
Post #32 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you'd probably have an easier time working on getting a rec or community center built with a large climbing facility and getting city funding/non-profit status than having it be just a climbing wall.

Just something to think about.

rhythm164

May 18, 2006, 1:59 PM
Post #33 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or maybe the profit should go back out in the form of other donations...

phazed

May 18, 2006, 2:31 PM
Post #34 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Won't your gym just get destroyed in the next hurricane?

Phazed, shut the hell up!! So does this mean we should not build any more skyscrapers in NYC because they will just be destroyed when the next plane flies into them?mapper94

With that kind of logic, maybe you shouldn't be making building decisions at all. :?: :roll:

mowz

May 18, 2006, 9:46 PM
Post #35 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gym = decent idea

Community center such as a YMCA or YWCA = better idea

Joke about hurricane knocking shit down again = hilarious

If the money existed, I would suggest everyone leaving Louisiana and moving up north; Louisiana can then be a tourist attraction that remains closed during the hurrican season.

Another suggestion is to build a retractable dome over Louisiana.

rhythm164

May 19, 2006, 9:08 PM
Post #36 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
rythym. how in gods name do you know what the city needs?? Probably from the news, which is nothing than a bunch of crap!! Your not living here everyday the city is thriving and doing well. its not like we are all here miserable. What the city needs to be done is being done. there is Nothing more that i or you can do about it. TRUST ME!!! and this gym would be helping others as there is absolutly nothing for kids to do. Look this really has nothing to do with politics i asked a simple question, and all i need is a simple answer not a bunch of political mojo from someone who isnt here first hand

Boo fucking hoo. Don't post questions and then not be able to handle when someone plays devils advocate with you. You wanted feedback on an idea, and you got it, and it wasn't all what you wanted to hear and now you're bitching. Unless YOU are the city planner, I doubt YOU know what the city NEEDS either.

secretagent

May 19, 2006, 9:16 PM
Post #37 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

build the gym and ignore the haters, you live there they don't!! :!:

nola_angie

May 19, 2006, 9:51 PM
Post #38 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

J,

Go to the city web site. They should have something up about starting small businesses, including a list of banks that will help give you some start up money. I don't think you can gather enough $$$ thru donations, but you may be able to contact some non for profits that will help take the edge off. Best bet is to put some skin in the game and take out a loan. Keep it simple, tho! Don't wanna borrow big and tank at your age. Well, any age for that matter. If you do this, and need help with marketing, I may be able to help. Got a lot of web designers and marketers in my group of friends (Mel's sis is brilliant at it, and she owes me big time for keeping an eye on Mel all summer long)

I know, with Climb-max gone and you guys all scattered- that was a big reason I *didn't* come back. In many ways, you were all like family to me. Thats why I cooked for you! :wink:

The city would tear its self apart if all people focused on, all day long, 24/7 is rebuilding homes and getting rid of debris. You are right to know people need a place to go, somewhere to do *normal* things...like take a date for a really cool night out, or have your kids B day party (annoying, yes, but necessary).

The more I am away, stuck here in a place I didn't *choose* to live, the more I realize people really just don't get it. And they should be very glad they don't. The only way to get it is to have lost, either physically or metaphorically, your home and every thing that makes a place home. Thats the part of the rebuild that needs attention now. Homes, the physical things are being built. But what about the non-material things that made that place your home?

And please, doll, don't drink the water! I don't trust the EPA report that said it was safe...they said the post 911 air was safe, and had to eat their words a year later. Too many gas stations and mausoleums got flooded out. YUCK.

I miss you. I miss you all more than I can really put to words. If you see anyone, give them hugs for me, tell them I think of them and miss them. And PM me if you want my picadillo recipe, or those meatballs you liked.

sidepull

May 19, 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #39 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Donations
This would be a good idea if you were making a non-profit climbing gym - although I have no idea what that would be like or how you would structure it financially or organizationally (I'm not pooh-poohing the idea, I'm admitting ignorance here).
I also think the ideas of building a more general rec center with climbing as a part of it deserve some credence.
You might also think about collecting donations to renovate a local park and using the money to buy a synthetic boulder.

Co-ops
This is a cool idea. I'd love to hear about people that have actually been involved in a climbing gym co-op - do they really exist?

Loans
If you're really looking to make a nice gym then you're probably going to have to get a loan and make it into a business venture.

Overall, I guess you can get donations for everything. Just yesterday I found a site where people were donating to a guy so that he could possibly take a female british rapper on a date (others have created donations so that they don't kill rabbits). But I doubt you'd be able to cull together enough money to really make a cool gym plus I think some of the concerns are legit regarding using donations to start a for profit venture.

In the end, you haven't really presented a plan at all. It's just kind of a vague idea in which people gave you money so that might make something cool. Be more specific.

peforpeace

Sep 10, 2006, 4:59 PM
Post #40 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, its official, weve all been talking about the same thing...well except for those clowns arguing about planes and hurricanes and shit...

Im, for real, interested in finding investors, builders, buyers, climbers, route setters etc...for a new New Orleans gym. The situation is this: I have started a non-profit with the goal of bringing better recreational programs and facilities to the youth (of all ages) in New Orleans. This can help us in a few ways, but we will still need to take out loans, come up with an ownership plan (a co-operatively owned gym would be fab) and then start the long process of opening and rehabing.
There are lots of big spaces for lease, rent and sale. There are lots of incentives for new business. The greater New Orleans area is too big not to have a climbing gym...
I invite anyone to come and talk about it...email me at Kugler3@msn.com or we can keep the conversation here at Rock Climbing.com
Peace and Positive...and P.S. i didnt mean any harm about the planes and canes thing...after all im from NY and now live in the N'awlins.

cjsimpso

Sep 10, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #41 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you've got a really good idea, and I'm glad to see you bringing it to the community for suggestions. I also think you could help your own cause in this forum by responding to the legitimate concerns and ideas and ignoring the random trolling and negativity.

Beyond that, I think the idea of a non-profit or co-op gym would be perfect. If you encorporate as a non-profit or even better, as a charity, then you'll be elgible for all sorts of government funding, and you'll might be able to get gear companies to help you out as well. This might be a great way for a startup hold company to get some good press, or for one of the big guns to give back. Plus, if you aren't out to make a profit then you can keep prices low, and then just turn any profit you do make and use it to develop playgrounds and parks in the surrounding neighborhood.

And a personal pledge: If you do encorporate as a charity, I will personally organize a comp at my school gym here in central jersey and turn all of the proceeds over to your group.

Good luck

clee03m

Sep 10, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #42 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.sba.gov/la/ seems like a good resource to look into.

foeslts16

Sep 10, 2006, 6:48 PM
Post #43 of 43 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a little tired right now - out climbing all yesterday. So I just want to try to clear things up now. So the general breakdown of this thread goes as follows:

rhythm164 - first puts his head up his a-s-s.

not quite happy with this initial result, rhythm164 proceeds to put foot into a-s-s as well as both arms.

meanwhile (as always) Jung has something well-thought and useful to add.

rest of thread rhythm164 tries to get head and arms out of a-s-s.

rhythm164, I am sure you must be good at something ??? - - So go find it somewhere else.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook