Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Joshua Tree, 3 Month Trip - Info Required
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

nigelp

Jun 7, 2006, 7:38 AM
Post #1 of 7 (3949 views)
Shortcut

Joshua Tree, 3 Month Trip - Info Required  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I coming over from the UK to climb at JTree for 3 months from October to December this year.

Could anyone suggest where I might stay? I'm happy to camp for 3 months but I understand that camping in the Park is limited to 14 days per person between October and May.

Is there camping nearby outside of the Park?

Do I need a car?

How can I find people to climb with? I guess if I'm camping at Hidden Valley it should be easy, but if I'm outside the Park maybe I could turn up at Hidden Valley each morning and find someone.

I lead at 5.7 / 5.8 and I'm happy seconding up to 5.11. If anyone would like to meet up with me during this time then please get in touch.

Any other information would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

esoteric1

Jun 8, 2006, 2:11 AM
Post #2 of 7 (3949 views)
Shortcut

Re: Joshua Tree, 3 Month Trip - Info Required [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you hang out in hidden valley you shouldnt have problems finding a crew to go climb with...you will have to get creative concerning the camping situation though....the best advice is not to be seen...the rangers do a walk through to collect license plate numbers in the morning.
avoid them.
you can do it without a car, and that might be easier to deal with depending on how social you are...
mark

hess

Sep 11, 2006, 6:02 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

esoteric is shelling out good beta. If you don't have a car avoiding the license plate troll is much easier, just keep low (no neon colored tights) and you should be able to fly. If you do have a car you can camp at a number of places just outside the park without worrying.... in Jtree ask someone to give you directions to 'the pit', it's basically an empty lot with an outhouse and dumpster, or south of the park just past the entrance sign on one of the many dirt roads (this is far from the climbing but if you're hiking down there it can be useful) either way thoug you need to drive back in to the park to climb which can be a major drag and expensive. Good luck and have a great trip! You might want to check out this video to get a good idea of what the park has to offer in the way of hikes and climbing areas... www.cragcam.com/JTNPmain.html

Have a sweet trip!

chanceboarder

Sep 11, 2006, 6:50 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I wouldn't stay in the park if you're gonna be here for 3 months. That's a long time to be dodging rangers around camp. "The Pit" or Climbers Ranch as mentioned above would be a good place to stay. You'll need a car though, that's a long walk into the park.

Have fun.

Jason

jcrew

Sep 11, 2006, 7:02 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

these guys have pretty much nailed it down. without a car, you should be good.

but without a car, you need to run a bit light. and camping for 3 months with the bare minimum can kinda suck. if you are going to be in J-Tree for 3 months, be prepared to suffer a bit. it's not all sun and fun. it can and will be cold and windy at some points, with snow. riding out a wind storm in a bivy sack pretty much sucks!!!!! sometimes kickin back in the back of a volvo wagon can be total luxury.

chinogil

Sep 11, 2006, 8:35 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You Should go one or too weeks to Yosemite,You have lot of time.
And In Joshua. You don't have problems for stay in the park, but its big and you have to pick a ride to move around.

Have Fun.

Jorge Gil.

davidji

Sep 11, 2006, 8:48 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds like you haven't been to JT before.

Over 4000 developed climbs, including lots of interesting ones, but nearly all the climbs are short. Some people love extended stays there. It wouldn't be my choice though.

There are many climbing areas that you could visit during this time if you had a car and were willing to drive around California & maybe a bit into neighboring states. You could visit Yosemite Valley, Red Rocks, Owens River Gorge, various southern Sierra destinations, and more.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook