RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

boredwolf

Sep 19, 2006, 5:58 PM
Post #1 of 3 (763 views)
Shortcut

Wanted: Trad Mentor
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm living in the Raleigh area, and looking for a trad mentor that I can second for and learn from. I've got double ropes (70m), a single rope (60m), a car, and all my own gear. I can comfortably climb 5.10 and I'm at my limit around 5.11a. PM me if you are interested in teaching.

Partner bri1682

Sep 19, 2006, 6:22 PM
Post #2 of 3 (763 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wanted: Trad Mentor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In both my limited experience and climbing ability, I am in no way qualified to judge other climbers, so dont take the following as criticism. It seems that given your stated climbing ability, you should be leading by now. I was just wondering why? Did you do sport climbing before and now want to switch to Trad?

On a side note, you shouldnt have any trouble finding someone to mentor you. A couple weeks ago, when I made the transition from the gym to outdoor climbing, I got a good response from people willing to help. Some may not be local, but neither is the climbing. There should be people willing to meet you at the crag.

boredwolf

Sep 19, 2006, 7:19 PM
Post #3 of 3 (763 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wanted: Trad Mentor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In the group I generally climb with, I am probably the only one who can afford trad gear. Everything I have learned about climbing has been from climbing classes, books, or people at the crag. I've done numerous sport climbs at my limit (against better judgement), and I just haven't had the time to invest in learning Trad. I'm sure there are people who are content to be 5.12c top-ropers, and never give a second thought to sport climbing. It's a little easier to pick-up sport climbing because of its' simplicity (back-clipping and poor anchor building being the only serious mistakes). For trad, I'd like to have someone who can show me what a good placement is, how pro acts while the rope is moving through the piece, and lots of other stuff that no book can teach you. To sum up: I'd rather not die on my first trad lead.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook