Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Competition Climbing:
24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell. What a great time. I'm sleepy.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

buddha_monkee

Sep 19, 2006, 7:01 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2626 views)
Shortcut

24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell. What a great time. I'm sleepy.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm surprised there isnt a thread up for this yet. But maybe everyone is still recovering. I know I am. We did the 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell comp this past weekend at Horseshoe Canyon ranch. It was a great time.

I was able to stay up the full 24 hours of the comp (noon Sat till noon Sun). And I climbed at least one route per hour. I thought the night would be the worst part, but it was actually the most fun. Lots of people up, hanging out and visiting. Slamming Red Bulls. People sending great climbs in the dark with only a headlamp.

The rainy weather held off till right about 12:30 Sunday afternoon, so we were fortunate in that regard. Lots of great prizes given away. The event was well-organized and it sounds like the event raised a bunch of money for the access fund. I'll definitely be back next year. I think I'll need a year to recover.

Anyone out there with stories from the comp??

jer

Sep 19, 2006, 8:49 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Re: 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell. What a great time. I'm sle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy cow! How fun was that!??

Funner than playing tackle horseshoes on top of castleton.

It was much more fun as a social event than competitive- all through the night people were hootin and hollerin and keeping each other awake and company.

Everyone shared hung draws, took turns, shared Red Bull and beta like it there was an endless supply.

Can't wait for next year.... may have to renew my "vows".

My favorite part of the event was the empowerment of others going all out!

I met a guy who had only been climbing for 3 months. I met people who had never even been to the ranch. I met people who had their first lead the week prior. I met people who have been climbing in arkansas for 30 years.
Every time I saw an exhausted climber tie in for another one after 20 hours of climbing, it empowered me to tie in for another myself.

Robo, congrats on 30 pitches!

jer

berkly

Sep 20, 2006, 7:58 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Re: 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell. What a great time. I'm sle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What a great weekend!! The format for the comp is so unique and special. That is the most Ive climbed in a 24 hour period ever. Us okies already have an appreciation thread over on the wichita mountain board.

One of the best feelings was the energy provided by others throughout the night. You didnt realize how much energy they provided until you were alone again in the dark.

Looking forward to next year!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook