RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

beni

Sep 22, 2006, 7:14 PM
Post #1 of 3 (446 views)
Shortcut

CA sport/bouldering 5.7-5.11/V3
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My fiancee and I are taking a road trip down to CA for the first week of October + weekends on either side. We're looking for some good climbing to do...it's basically the whole point of the trip for us. We're planning to go hang out at yosemite for awhile but neither of us can lead trad so we'll do some sightseeing and a little bouldering but that's it there. We've heard good things about Owens River Gorge and will probably spend two to four days there, but we're looking for something else to do while we're there. Also, we're going to be in LA to visit my sister the last weekend, so basically we're driving all the way through California, so climbing areas anywhere in the state are fine.

She climbs 5.7-10a and up to V2, I'm about a grade higher in each and am comfortable sport leading. I am a bit sensitive to exposure though - I've heard there are some ok sport climbs in yosemite but the hike out is really exposed - that kind of thing is probably not going to work for us. Any suggestions?

moditup

Sep 22, 2006, 7:43 PM
Post #2 of 3 (446 views)
Shortcut

Re: CA sport/bouldering 5.7-5.11/V3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm only replying so I get subscribed because I want to know what other people say as well..

However, I was just at Donner Summit (Grouse Slabs) last weekend and there were a fair share of sport routes that looked good (but don't be dumb like us; buy the guide, save a ton of time finding them). However, we got snowed out after doing just one route.

I also know there is some sport and TR at Cosumnes River Gorge (going there October 6th), and also Mount Saint Helena. These are all NorCal, near Sacramento.

There is also bouldering at Lover's Leap, but not too much easy sport, most is 10c/d.

Happy Climbing!

brad

Sep 22, 2006, 7:58 PM
Post #3 of 3 (446 views)
Shortcut

Re: CA sport/bouldering 5.7-5.11/V3 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Clarks Canyon, about an hour North of Bishop is good sport climbing with free primitive camping. While you're in Bishop you could check out the Buttermilks and the Happy/Sad boulders. Owens is definitely worth several days. When you get down to LA you can day trip to Echo Cliffs, just South of Thousand Oaks, or Malibu Creek, and the Holcomb Valley Pinnacles at Big Bear Lake has some good sport climbing with free primitive camping.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook