Premier Sponsor:

organic

Sep 28, 2006, 1:45 AM
Post #1 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

I act different
Report this Post
Can't Post

I play in a soccer men's league every wednesday and sunday. The average age of the teams is around 25-30. I played a little college ball and have two brothers who also played college ball and one who is a professional soccer player for the MLS so I take my football seriously. Well when I am on the soccer field I am totally different then I am in normal life. I yell, scream, taunt people, hit people real hard. How many strikers do you know who receive yellow cards every game? hah. Anyways normally I am one of the most laid back and docile people you will ever meet. I don't avoid confrontation off the pitch but I am such a different person.

Anyone else have something like this in their life? Something that completely changes your personality... like besides a girlfriend... haha

climberterp

Sep 28, 2006, 2:16 AM
Post #2 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Re: I act different [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You've just described my hubby to a T. Rather laid-back, unassuming kind of guy, but a real pain in the ass on the pitch! Yellow cards are pretty frequent, he's broken several ribs and fractured his tibia in rough play, almost gotten into several fights and apparently he has quite the mouth during his games :shock:

Whoda thunkit?

raoulthepoolboy
Deleted

Sep 28, 2006, 2:20 AM
Post #3 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator [In reply to]
Report this Post

mushroomcloud_2

Sep 28, 2006, 2:25 AM
Post #4 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You act differentLY. You are suggesting the description of a verb, i.e., an adverb, to the action verb "act," thus you would need to add the suffix "ly" to your modifier.

Thus "I act differentLY."

What's your take on Apple's tagline Think Different?

climberterp

Sep 28, 2006, 2:30 AM
Post #5 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that it's grammatically incorrect

mushroomcloud_2

Sep 28, 2006, 2:37 AM
Post #6 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just curious. I work in advertising, my colleagues and I have had multiple discussions about their tagline and the grammatical incorrectness. Just wanted to see if anyone else had anything to say about it.

clausti

Sep 28, 2006, 9:32 PM
Post #7 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I play in a soccer men's league every wednesday and sunday. The average age of the teams is around 25-30. I played a little college ball and have two brothers who also played college ball and one who is a professional soccer player for the MLS so I take my football seriously. Well when I am on the soccer field I am totally different then I am in normal life. I yell, scream, taunt people, hit people real hard. How many strikers do you know who receive yellow cards every game? hah. Anyways normally I am one of the most laid back and docile people you will ever meet. I don't avoid confrontation off the pitch but I am such a different person.

Anyone else have something like this in their life? Something that completely changes your personality... like besides a girlfriend... haha

who knew that having your balls grabbed brought out the rough side of you, buddy. :roll:

charley

Sep 28, 2006, 9:55 PM
Post #8 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was just curious. I work in advertising, my colleagues and I have had multiple discussions about their tagline and the grammatical incorrectness. Just wanted to see if anyone else had anything to say about it.

The ad expression, "Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should." was around for a long time.
I don't think it makes much difference in advertising. In fact incorrect gets your attention and isn't that what advertisers want to do. Even if it's stupid?

devils_advocate

Sep 28, 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #9 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Anyone else have something like this in their life? Something that completely changes your personality...
who knew that having your balls grabbed brought out the rough side of you, buddy. :roll:

Hehe... jocks are funny

styndall

Sep 28, 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #10 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

For a prescriptive English grammarian, this is true. However, any descriptive grammar will include statements like "I act different" as acceptable to most native speakers.

Indeed, the pressure for "I act different" lies in the fact that the verb "act," used in this sense, is somewhere between weakly transitive and reflexive, and can thus take a predicate nominative as an object.

organic

Sep 28, 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #11 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

For a prescriptive English grammarian, this is true. However, any descriptive grammar will include statements like "I act different" as acceptable to most native speakers.

Indeed, the pressure for "I act different" lies in the fact that the verb "act," used in this sense, is somewhere between weakly transitive and reflexive, and can thus take a predicate nominative as an object.

Yeah, what he said! In your face!

mushroomcloud_2

Sep 29, 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #12 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The ad expression, "Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should." was around for a long time.
I don't think it makes much difference in advertising. In fact incorrect gets your attention and isn't that what advertisers want to do. Even if it's stupid?

That's pretty much the conclusion that we came to as well.
Sometimes, stupid sells.

squierbypetzl

Sep 29, 2006, 5:35 AM
Post #13 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WhoŽda thunk it?

Hope you were on the clock during your meditations, but really, it couldnŽt have taken that long to figure out that $t00Pid sells...

veganboyjosh

Oct 14, 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #14 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

That's pretty much the conclusion that we came to as well.
Sometimes, stupid sells.

s'cos usually, stupid buys.

chuffer

Oct 15, 2006, 2:11 AM
Post #15 of 15 (585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)