RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

t_tutone

Oct 1, 2006, 5:18 AM
Post #1 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Beginner Shoe Help: Message 2
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's very difficult to find climbing shoes where I live, so I have to order them via the internet.

If I am a size 11 1/2 in sneakers, what size should I buy the shoes?
Remember, I can always return them if they are not the correct size.

I get conflicting advise from friends and manufacturers that I have called. Some say get it 1 size down, others say 2 or 2 1/2 sizes down. I've even heard three.

Since it will be my first pair of climbing shoes, I am lost.

Can anyone please help???

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

styndall

Oct 1, 2006, 5:21 AM
Post #2 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Re: Beginner Shoe Help: Message 2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on brand and model. I wear a size down in Sportiva Mythos, two sizes down in Katanas, and I wear my street shoe size in the Mad Rock Phoenix.

Order your first pair from someplace with a generous return policy. It's hard to get it right the first time or two.

toejam

Oct 1, 2006, 7:38 AM
Post #3 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would not size them down at all. It will be a while before you notice any benefit from doing so (if ever), and by that time these will be your beater shoes anyway.

I wear my street size in all climbing shoes, and any I have downsized I never wear.

shockabuku

Oct 1, 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't own a pair, so I can't vouch for it first hand, but apparently the people at Acopa are pretty good at helping you size over the phone or internet and I think that they'll do exchanges for free if you get the wrong size (not sure about the last part). They're a relatively new shoe company and they don't have great distribution yet so I think they're fighting for their share of the market. From what I've heard, they're shoes are pretty decent.

http://www.acopausa.com/

djoseph

Oct 2, 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #5 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would not size them down at all. It will be a while before you notice any benefit from doing so (if ever), and by that time these will be your beater shoes anyway. I wear my street size in all climbing shoes, and any I have downsized I never wear.

I completely disagree with this, at least when considering Mythos (which the OP mentioned in his/her other thread, IIRC).

I downsized my Mythos relative to my street shoes by about 2 sizes, and they feel fantastic (perhaps even a bit loose) now, having been broken in over the past year.

To the OP: really no substitute for trying on shoes in-person. At least, that's my experience.

Dan

zakabog

Oct 2, 2006, 1:16 AM
Post #6 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My street shoes are an 11, my climbing shoes are a 12. I don't wear socks with them, they're really tight and when I bought my second pair of shoes for all day use (same size) I got a blister from the fabric on one of the loops in the back because they were real tight. I'm just thinking my street shoes are sized smaller than they are, or when they're tight, they're much more comfortable than when climbing shoes are too tight (or a combination of the two.)

lena_chita

Oct 2, 2006, 2:22 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there no store near you at all?

Then take your sock off. Stand on a piece of paper and draw and outline of your foot. measure the longest line from heel to toe in millimiters and in inches. Write both numbers down.

Go to whatever website you are using for ordering shoes and find their sizing chart. then decide what you wnat based on actual foot length, not the street she number, b/c sizing is very different from one manufacturer to the next, but they all usually list in their conversion chart sizes in millimeters or inches.

What (rental) shoes did you wear when you tried climbing? Can you check what size they were? Tat copuld be a starting point.

if you go with these people:

http://www.mtntools.com/

You can actually fax them the outline of your foot, describe what you are looking for (beginner shoe, snug but not painfully tight), and they will help you find a good fitting shoe for you.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way associated with Mountain tools, but I have ordered shoes from them and was very happy with the service :)

qtm

Oct 2, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't own a pair, so I can't vouch for it first hand, but apparently the people at Acopa are pretty good at helping you size over the phone or internet and I think that they'll do exchanges for free if you get the wrong size (not sure about the last part). They're a relatively new shoe company and they don't have great distribution yet so I think they're fighting for their share of the market. From what I've heard, they're shoes are pretty decent.

http://www.acopausa.com/

I've bought from Acopa. I got street size, which was a half size too big so I sent them back (my dollar) and they shipped me another pair (their dollar). Great shoes.

I think many places are like that, you pay to ship them back (unless they messed up and sent you the wrong item) and they pay shipping back to you.

Don't just order them though, call them up and ask what is the best size. I wear 1/2 down in Acopa, street in Mad Rocks, 1/2 up in FiveTen, 1 down in boreals... it's different for each brand.

qtm

Oct 2, 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there no store near you at all?

Then take your sock off. Stand on a piece of paper and draw and outline of your foot. measure the longest line from heel to toe in millimiters and in inches. Write both numbers down.

Go to whatever website you are using for ordering shoes and find their sizing chart. then decide what you wnat based on actual foot length, not the street she number, b/c sizing is very different from one manufacturer to the next, but they all usually list in their conversion chart sizes in millimeters or inches.

What (rental) shoes did you wear when you tried climbing? Can you check what size they were? Tat copuld be a starting point.

if you go with these people:

http://www.mtntools.com/

You can actually fax them the outline of your foot, describe what you are looking for (beginner shoe, snug but not painfully tight), and they will help you find a good fitting shoe for you.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way associated with Mountain tools, but I have ordered shoes from them and was very happy with the service :)

They've got a really bad online order system. Last time I ordered, they didn't confirm the order for a week, then another week went by before I called and found they hadn't taken action on the order, at which point I cancelled it. I've heard of others having problems with the online ordering as well. If you do order from them, definitely do it over the phone, at least then you have their attention.

overlord

Oct 2, 2006, 3:55 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if youre serious about ordering online, you really should check out evolv. they have excellent customer service (with great sizing beta) and their shoes are really top notch.

sirus2400

Oct 2, 2006, 4:01 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definately check out mountain tools, I ordered from them without a problem, and Im currently living in Japan.

lena_chita

Oct 2, 2006, 5:09 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They got a really bad online order system. Last time I ordered, they didn't confirm the order for a week, then another week went by before I called and found they hadn't taken action on the order, at which point I cancelled it. I've heard of others having problems with the online ordering as well. If you do order from them, definitely do it over the phone, at least then you have their attention.

Wow, that doesn't sound good at all... you had a very different experience that I did.

markc

Oct 2, 2006, 5:55 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can afford it, you may try ordering a few sizes in the shoe you're considering. You'll be able to compare directly, and you won't have to wait if your initial starting point is off. Depending on the company, you'll probably have to pay return shipping.

I just checked, and Zappo's has climbing shoes. They offer free shipping both ways. I've used them for general shoes, and love their service. If I had to go online, I'd try them.

qtm

Oct 2, 2006, 7:04 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
They got a really bad online order system. Last time I ordered, they didn't confirm the order for a week, then another week went by before I called and found they hadn't taken action on the order, at which point I cancelled it. I've heard of others having problems with the online ordering as well. If you do order from them, definitely do it over the phone, at least then you have their attention.

Wow, that doesn't sound good at all... you had a very different experience that I did.

I'm not saying they're a bad retailer, they were nice enough on the phone. Just that their online ordering system needs a revamp and if I need to order from them I'll call or fax with a followup call.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook