Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bellaitalia

Oct 9, 2006, 8:52 PM
Post #1 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Gear Slings
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ciao ladies,
After attemping (and failing) to rack all my trad gear on my harness on several climbs, I finally broke down and used my friend's gear sling. It drove me nuts the whole climb, since it hung down very low, even when it was tighted as much as possible. So I'm hoping that you could share your wisdom with me....

Do you climb trad with a gear sling? If so, do you have any good recommendations for short women? I'm only 5'1". If not, what's the secret to cramming all that gear on one harness.

Thanks!

Sarah

iamthewallress

Oct 9, 2006, 9:49 PM
Post #2 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gear Slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Metolius gear slings are very long even when fully cinched, and I hate the buckle anyway. I believe that my gear sling was made by Climb High. It was definately some ancient clearance type of thing that I picked up at the Wildnerness Exchange, so I'm not sure that you'd be able to find one of those new anywhere. You could probably ask FISH to sew you one that's more tailored for your size. I liked the length of my Fish sling (with crazy animal-inspired fabric) but it wasn't padded, so I didn't think it was as comfortable as my Climb High sling.

Edit...re: using sling vs. racking on harness. For any climb where you need to fit your butt into the climb, use your back against a wall, or be squished in a corner where reaching the side of your harness will be tricky, the gear sling can make things so much easier. I like racking on my harness for straight in cracks and face climbs. For lower angle climbing where you're bent over, the rack can get in your way more on the sling.

Partner heiko

Oct 10, 2006, 8:34 AM
Post #3 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to add that she was in fact using my Metolius Double D Multi-Loop sling, and it was really useless on her.

kimmyt

Oct 10, 2006, 1:39 PM
Post #4 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't help you here, but I definitely sympathize. When I rack on my harness (which is probably more of a sport harness anyway, with smaller gear loops) I always feel like the weight of gear is going to pull it off me, even when I make sure to have the harness cinched it's tightest up above my hipbones. I rock an oldschool Chouinard shoulder sling, it's not adjustable and is labelled only size M (an old friend gave it to me since it didn't fit her). It is really small, and fits great over my narrow shoulders, but woebetide anyone I climb with who wants to use my sling, because it usually doesn't fit. If you find a gear sling that has loops on it and fits you well, please post the info here because I have been looking for a sling that will allow me to seperate my gear since this one does not have any loops and my gear gets tangled at times.

K.

iamthewallress

Oct 10, 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #5 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kimmy...I thought I'd like a multiloop sling, but I HATED mine after I got it. A single loop, even if it does have drawbacks, lets you swing all of your gear out of the way or into your view for peice selection in one swift heave. Your peices will still tangle on the multiloop.

mountain_racer

Oct 10, 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #6 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just passing through ladies, but, one of my climbing partners is barely 5'3" and she has thought of using the Zodiac Gear Sling. Has anyone other ladies, small of stature tried this? I was concerned about the sternum strap but that might be adjustable.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ct.php?p=1592&list=1

iamthewallress

Oct 10, 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #7 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My sense of that one is that it's too minimal for a wall chest harness, but too jazzed up for a free climbing gear sling.

One of the things that's nice about a single loop shoulder sling is that you can slip it and its cargo off of one shoulder and onto the other while in the middle of a lead...and important thing to do when you need to switch from cramming one side of your body into a corner/feature/chimeny to doing the same with the other.

kimmyt

Oct 11, 2006, 1:39 AM
Post #8 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Kimmy...I thought I'd like a multiloop sling, but I HATED mine after I got it. A single loop, even if it does have drawbacks, lets you swing all of your gear out of the way or into your view for peice selection in one swift heave. Your peices will still tangle on the multiloop.

Yeah, I've thought of that too... I used a friend's multiloop once when we were switching leads and I just found it odd. But I thought maybe that was because it was too big. The thing is, I've got a gear sling, so why spend the money? I guess if someone had posted some fantastic raves on a specific model or something I would have shelled out, but I guess for now what I have suffices.

Also, looked at that picture, and I doubt I'd use it for anything with just a few pitches. It might work, but I'd feel like a doofus in it, no offense to anyone that climbs in it for plain ole multipitch stuff. :)

K.

lhwang

Oct 11, 2006, 2:20 PM
Post #9 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kimmy, not sure what your gear sling is made of but you could probably make your own gear loops out of the tubing for those camelbaks and webbing. That's how I added gear loops to the waist strap of my big pack. Just make sure the loops are secure.

I don't think I'd be able to climb with a single loop. Maybe I just have too much gear.

Partner macherry

Oct 11, 2006, 3:04 PM
Post #10 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm, i just got a metolius gear sling for almost nothing at Rei. haven't had a chance to use it, but the fit seems good. i have a long body.

if i don't like it, i just spent 7 bucks to keep my gear together in my pack

amylovesred

Oct 11, 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #11 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i totally prefer racking on my harness over a gear sling... (but i've only used a sling once, climbing slab, and i didn't like the way everything hung in front of me.)

if your gear doesn't fit -- how many loops do you have on your harness?

my BF racks with ovals and i like his system... on each oval he has 4 cams or 5 nuts or more than 5 hexs or 4 slings etc and i think it works out to about 4 ovals on each gear loop?

crackboy

Oct 11, 2006, 6:23 PM
Post #12 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a wildthings gear sling, it adjusts pretty well, and is decently padded

it might work out, i am not the biggest person out there

crackboy

Oct 11, 2006, 6:23 PM
Post #13 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a wildthings gear sling, it adjusts pretty well, and is decently padded

it might work out, i am not the biggest person out there

valygrl

Oct 11, 2006, 6:48 PM
Post #14 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, I'm 5'2" and have the loopy metolius sling, it buckles up small enough for me if I take it in all the way. You can also pick some stiches out of (or cut) the padded part to make it possible to pull it tighter. I personally like the loops, but I think I might be the only one. I just slide the whole thing back if it gets in my way, and find that less gear slides in front of me than with the nonloopy one.

I always carry too much gear to rack on my harness. :oops:

the_climber

Oct 12, 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #15 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was searching for this article Homemade Double Gearsling with Loops to send the link to a friend, but stumbled on this thread. The design looks like it would be easy to make a single gear sling. So there it is (hope it helps) and I'm off to email it to others.
Ciao

Partner booger

Oct 13, 2006, 8:03 AM
Post #16 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sarah,

I think a big part of (our) problem here is: having a short torso combined with the totally crap-for-trad-women

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/...A280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The harness rides directly on the hips, making a long day with heavy gear painful. And the damn gear 'loops' (tiny triangles) fit like 5 pieces of gear each.

Bottom line - not surprisingly, a sling tends to create the need to sling gear around, front to back - and as many have mentioned, it's total crap if you're short because it's always at your knees or your feet when you're making a move. Not to mention they're total boobie-smashers. I'm just not willing to coordinate my torso for gear while I'm trying to coordinate the rest of me for climbing. I think a new harness is in order - one with bigger gear loops, and one that is comfortable.

Partner heiko

Oct 13, 2006, 10:46 AM
Post #17 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boogah,

gear hanging from your gear loops will always hang lower than from a sling I'd assume... if you choose a harness that doesn't sit on the hips but lower, your Aliens will definitely hang down to your knees.
I agree about swinging around the sling however, it is annoying. Plus, when climbing with a camelbak, the gearsling isn't getting any comfier... (even without b**bs...)

h.

crackrn

Oct 16, 2006, 4:50 AM
Post #18 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I'm not the only one who hates those useless gear loops on my harness! Really wish I had known how annoying they were going to be before I bought it. Oh well.

I have a friend who uses the chest harness and loves it but I think I'd be annoyed at not being able to move gear out of my way if I was in a chimney or if I was off balance.

tavs

Oct 17, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #19 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have just never been able to get used to a gear sling (though I do use one occasionally for chimneys/etc)--just feels like it always moves around when I don't want it to, etc. So, some suggestions for if/when you do want to rack a substantial amount of gear on your harness.....I've never been in the habit of racking multiple cams on one biner (since more often than not I find myself clipping directly into the cam rather than needing to add a draw). But one trick I've learned for desert crack climbing--when carrying multiple cams of the same size, I rack them on top of each other (that is, I clip one into my gear loop, and then the second (or even third) into the first cam)--saves tons of space on the gear loops. I do rack all my stoppers on just two biners. Finally, I try to be more discriminating than I used to be as far as what I carry.

FWIW, I have a BD Momentum harness.

tavs

Oct 17, 2006, 5:19 PM
Post #20 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have just never been able to get used to a gear sling (though I do use one occasionally for chimneys/etc)--just feels like it always moves around when I don't want it to, etc. So, some suggestions for if/when you do want to rack a substantial amount of gear on your harness.....I've never been in the habit of racking multiple cams on one biner (since more often than not I find myself clipping directly into the cam rather than needing to add a draw). But one trick I've learned for desert crack climbing--when carrying multiple cams of the same size, I rack them on top of each other (that is, I clip one into my gear loop, and then the second (or even third) into the first cam)--saves tons of space on the gear loops. I do rack all my stoppers on just two biners. Finally, I try to be more discriminating than I used to be as far as what I carry.

FWIW, I have a BD Momentum harness.

bellaitalia

Oct 20, 2006, 6:55 PM
Post #21 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any suggestions about good comfortable harnesses with large gear loops? Right now, like Booger, I'm climbing in a Petzl Corax, which is definitely not meant for trad climbing.

I'm looking for comfort and room for LOTS OF GEAR!

grampacharlie

Oct 20, 2006, 7:37 PM
Post #22 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Any suggestions about good comfortable harnesses with large gear loops? Right now, like Booger, I'm climbing in a Petzl Corax, which is definitely not meant for trad climbing.

I'm looking for comfort and room for LOTS OF GEAR!

I know that this has been talked about several time in the past few months, both in the ladies' room and in other forums. A quick search should give you more than enough info, but I think the Misty Mountain cadillac was a much talked about option.

anniemarea

Oct 22, 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #23 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree we need a way to climb with gear that works, and harness improvement may just work. Maybe in association with a matching gear sling :wink:
Like another woman above, I use and old Chouinard gear sling, it's so old, but it fits. It's tiny, simple, and light. Sometimes I connect it to my harness by putting a carabiner or sling on my 2nd harness gear loop (either side) and attaching it to the sling in front of all the gear so that the gear can't slide in front of me.
Another thing I do, is wear a small camelbak (longer climbs) and attach gear to the shoulder straps or even the chest strap if I know I am gonna want that piece pronto.
Mostly I just put my slings on my harness and the gear on my sling, and I really try and minimize my gear - which sometimes I regret; but a stash of nuts on my backside can save the day - Ace. :lol:

amylovesred

Nov 3, 2006, 5:33 PM
Post #24 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I connect it to my harness by putting a carabiner or sling on my 2nd harness gear loop (either side) and attaching it to the sling in front of all the gear so that the gear can't slide in front of me.

Super smart! I'm going to try it out next time I'm swinging leads. Could be a real time saver in the change over...

boo

Nov 3, 2006, 6:24 PM
Post #25 of 26 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear a Misty Mountain harness. Prior to that I wore a BD chaos. I liked it alot.

I like a gear sling if it is small enough. An old company Rocktonic made one that I can adjust snug enough.

Aliens....I rack them by the swag and not the webbing. Shortens them in length. I'm a minority in that I don't care for C4s for this reason..they fall too low on my harness and the plastic swag gets caught on stuff.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook