RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

rocklobster

Sep 9, 2002, 6:54 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1516 views)
Shortcut

best way to get started
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Im here in western NC and have a desire to learn to aid climb does anyone have some words of wisdom as to the best plan of action. Equip. must haves etc.

Partner jammer

Sep 9, 2002, 7:06 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1516 views)
Shortcut

best way to get started [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MUST HAVE ... experienced leader/instructor!

twrock

Sep 10, 2002, 12:36 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't like to be the "devil's advocate" too often, but I do think we use the "get trained by someone who really knows" a little strongly.

I know of a number climbers participating in all aspects of the sport who never learned directly from someone more experienced than them. They didn't have that option, so they simply did it on their own and became the ones "in-the-know." I do agree that if you can find a really good mentor you will reap huge benefits. But it simply isn't always possible.

There is a large amount of information out there on how to aid climb. Some of it is "old school" or "tradtional aid climbing technology" or even "the better way." But you can learn a ton by reading, watching videos, and simply going out and giving it a try. Understanding "why" one method is superior to another is more beneficial than simply doing it the way you learned from some master climber. Increasing the range of your options is always a good idea.

I will tentatively agree with handjammer and say that if you can find a good mentor, go for it. But even if you do, also spend a huge amount of time reviewing the postings in this forum. Buy or check out from the library anything you can on the topic. Watch Don Reid's Aid Climbing video. Go out with a patient friend to belay you and "clean aid" some easy lines at your local crag. If you can't find a partner, learn how to self-belay on toprope and practice that way. As you progress, you can learn how to lead solo as well.

I don't know if you fit this pattern, but a lot of people "want it now" and really aren't willing to put in the hard work to get it. Have you spent hours reading the "how to" threads in this forum? There is alread a ton of information here. Devour everything you can find and you will be more knowledgable for it.

Just my $0.02.

rickoldskool

Sep 10, 2002, 7:05 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading is good to get the "basic" Idea, but until you go out on the rock and do it some of it doesn't make sense. The problem with teaching yourself is, surviving your mistakes till you figure it all out. I know many self taught climbers including myself, but I might be dead by now if I hadn't, at some point, learned from other people.
Main thing; do you know how to use your gear correctly? Do you know rope systems and their limitationss? Intimate knowledge of anchors? Be sure you have EXPERIENCE an KNOWLEDGE of your equipment before you decide to embark on a wall carrier.

brisboy

Sep 11, 2002, 2:34 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you got the gear go out and practise on top rope try all sorts of things avoid good placements and try weird hook moves or tiny lille rps etc etc

or go ou to one of the crags and find someone who is a expericed aider and try to get some lessons with them or go on a small trip or something

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook