RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

slowhand

Aug 17, 2006, 3:53 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Climbing vacation
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering where is the best place to go on a climbing vacation? Im not ready for any big walls yet ( just about to start getting into trad ). I was thinking about Railay cause its all sport from what I hear and the beach is supposed to be amazing.

greengoblin

Aug 17, 2006, 4:13 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing vacation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never been, but I think you heard right.

nosipo

Oct 19, 2006, 2:00 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2274 views)
Shortcut

A month to climb but where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thailand's great. you should go but now I am planning another sport climbing vacation for a whole month December-January. I am coming from the U.S. and feel like U.S. climbing is too cold...

i've already considered Potrero Chico but don't have a driveable car to get there.

i considered cayman, but for a month?

europe seems a little cold...and am going to australia next year, so that's out.

Does anyone have some great suggestions about where I could climb, anywhere in the world...for a month in the winter?

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Partner booger

Oct 20, 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^

Morocco
S. Africa
Mallorca
Sardignia

paolo75

Oct 20, 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was wondering where is the best place to go on a climbing vacation? Im not ready for any big walls yet ( just about to start getting into trad ). I was thinking about Railay cause its all sport from what I hear and the beach is supposed to be amazing.

it is but it's not the place you wanna be if your interest is only about climbing. Sometimes it's wet and it's really hot. For climbing you have to wake up quite early in the morning, untill the sun hits the rocks then either change place or relax at the beach, then climbing again at night.
Here in Europe, for fall, I'll suggest south Spain, Croatia, Italy, south France. If you need some beta do not hesitate to ask!
ciao.
P.

nosipo

Oct 26, 2006, 2:39 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THANKS! Really appreciate it!

Paolo75, I may have to take you up on your beta offer.

paolo75

Oct 26, 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
THANKS! Really appreciate it!

Paolo75, I may have to take you up on your beta offer.

ciao!
I guess you are looking for Sport climbs, right?
Italy
North: winter is not the best time of the year....but two places can be really good: Arco (in the area of Trento, north of the Lake Garda) and Finale Ligure (North-West Italy, region Liguria). both places are mild in winter, they have massive choices for sport climbs, the towns are really nice and the food is great.
Center: Sperlonga and Gaeta (area of Rome, between Rome and Naples), wonderful south oriented crags, some direct on the beach, some right above the sea, some more in the mainland;
South and Islands: Sardinia and Sicily. Sardinia probably have the greatest concentration of climbs in the world...rocks everywhere, great for winter or middle seasons, same as Sicily but with less choices.

for these areas you can find some more detailed beta on the web, all of them has their own guide books.

Greece: Kalymnos and Crete. Never been there but both are really famous. K. is becoming a huge climbing destination, Crete is less explored, but a guide book just came out.

Croatia: Istria peninsula and Paklenica: simply awesome...Istria has a lot of crags (Osp, Dvijgrad, Crni Kal, Ljmski Kanal above all) and Paklenica is a limestone temple...here, as well, more specific beta are on the Net and guide books are available.

France: the area around Nice (La tourbie, Gorbio, Peillon) and Marseille (Calanques). Here, as well as Sardinia, Finale and Paklenica, in winter the wind can be a problem....

SOuth Spain: Murcia and Costa Blanca. El Chorro. Famous and gorgeous limestone areas!

I hope you can find it helpful, if you need some websites links and you don't find them contact me!
ciao
P.

microbarn

Oct 26, 2006, 2:01 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks a ton for writing that out!

I enjoy hearing about places like this even though I may not be able to go there this year or the next.

paolo75

Oct 26, 2006, 2:18 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thanks a ton for writing that out!

I enjoy hearing about places like this even though I may not be able to go there this year or the next.

no worries. I love writing about places I love. :wink:

yankeebama

Oct 31, 2006, 4:22 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anybody have any thought on Patagonia....can anything be done in a few days....I only have 9 days off and my wife will probably only let me climb for about 2 of them.
thanks for any help

for Dec 9-17

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook