First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

reno

Oct 23, 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #1 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Man moment
Report this Post
Can't Post

During the move, my old grill.... 10 years old, small, rusted, barely makes a flame... was "relocated" to the trash heap.

Now I get to shop for a new grill. Very manly stuff right here.... grunting, scratching, burping, farting, and comparing specs on grills:

• 624 square inches cooking area
• Three long-wearing stainless steel burners rated at 36,000 BTUs
• Powerful 12,000 BTU cast-iron and brass side burner
• Spit fork rotisserie with motor and rear infrared rotisserie burner rated at 10,000 BTUs

AARRGH!(<-- Tim Allen grunt right there, in case you missed it.)

chanceboarder

Oct 23, 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #2 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Re: Man moment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You need to see a man named Hank, he sells propane and propane accessories. :lol:

blondgecko

Oct 23, 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #3 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
During the move, my old grill.... 10 years old, small, rusted, barely makes a flame... was "relocated" to the trash heap.

Now I get to shop for a new grill. Very manly stuff right here.... grunting, scratching, burping, farting, and comparing specs on grills:

• Spit fork rotisserie with motor and rear infrared rotisserie burner rated at 10,000 BTUs

36,000 BTU/h - that's 38 megajoules per hour, which is...

10.5 kW?????!!!111

WTF are you barbecuing, an ELEPHANT?

chuffer

Oct 23, 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #4 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need to sack up (so to speak) and go with charcoal. Real men don't cook on gas grills. You might as well just use your stove.

reno

Oct 24, 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #5 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
36,000 BTU/h - that's 38 megajoules per hour, which is...

10.5 kW?????!!!111

WTF are you barbecuing, an ELEPHANT?

And I've got three of them!! That's.... what, 108,000 BTU, or 114 megajoules/hour.

c4c

Oct 24, 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #6 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the climbing community needs to come together and help Reno in this time of need. Lets start a collection for his new grill!! Reno where should we send the donations?

zozo

Oct 24, 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #7 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Warning dude: Once you go Rotisserie you will never go back.

atg200

Oct 24, 2006, 5:29 AM
Post #8 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno, we need to have an intervention. propane grills are little different than bolts next to hand cracks. get a charcoal grill, or eat salad and smell like patchouli.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Oct 24, 2006, 5:49 AM
Post #9 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Y'all have a great week - I'm heading over to reno's house!!!

mowz

Oct 24, 2006, 6:00 AM
Post #10 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wood charcoal is best.

climbsomething

Oct 24, 2006, 6:04 AM
Post #11 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reno, mi amor,

Let's barter. Alex can help you shop for a grill (and eat the first side of cow/bison/wooly mammoth that comes offa that monster) if you'll help me find him a suitable cordless circular saw with worm drive (whateverTF that is) for xmas.

The mere vapors of manliness will be enough to impregnate me!

overlord

Oct 24, 2006, 8:17 AM
Post #12 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

while i do prefer wood charcoal, that grill definitely sounds like something that could find its place in my future house back yard :P

is it regular gas or vulcanic stones?

reno

Oct 24, 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #13 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To all of you "Dump the propane, get charcoal" beeotches:

Hate the game, not the player.

Hast thou all forgotten where I live (tinder box central)? Now do y'all really want me to have a large basin of smoldering embers in my backyard every time I decide to have a hot dog?

And besides, convenience is nice. (Yeah, so I'm lazy.... big deal.) :lol:

FYI, we're having a cookout on November 17, if anyone local cares. Bring a covered dish and/or beer.

robbovius

Oct 24, 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #14 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Hast thou all forgotten where I live (tinder box central)? Now do y'all really want me to have a large basin of smoldering embers in my backyard every time I decide to have a hot dog?

FYI, we're having a cookout on November 17, if anyone local cares. Bring a covered dish and/or beer.

Dude, stuff the "Charcoal is King" wankers. I grilled exclusively on charcoal for 20+ years, but finally tired of it, becuase it's a fricken production - like you wrote - "...every time I decide to have a hot dog...".

one afternoon my accross the street neighbor shoved his big two-burner (with covered side burner) grille out to the street with a "FREE" sign on it so I copped it and pushed it over to my place.

I cleaned out the burner feed pipes (spiders) and all the rust and lavarock ash, bought a bag of ceramic briquets ($8) and then cooked on it for a whole summer using the two tanks of fuel he gave me. this past spring I installed a new burner...

it's fricken MINT. and I've only got $33 into it so far. which makes it even MORE MINT.

Partner epoch

Oct 24, 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #15 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Dude, stuff the "Charcoal is King" wankers. I grilled exclusively on charcoal for 20+ years, but finally tired of it, becuase it's a fricken production - like you wrote - "...every time I decide to have a hot dog...".

one afternoon my accross the street neighbor shoved his big two-burner (with covered side burner) grille out to the street with a "FREE" sign on it so I copped it and pushed it over to my place.

I cleaned out the burner feed pipes (spiders) and all the rust and lavarock ash, bought a bag of ceramic briquets ($8) and then cooked on it for a whole summer using the two tanks of fuel he gave me. this past spring I installed a new burner...

it's fricken MINT. and I've only got $33 into it so far. which makes it even MORE MINT.

Dood, where was that on our gunks trip????

wjca

Oct 24, 2006, 1:04 PM
Post #16 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Reno, mi amor,

Let's barter. Alex can help you shop for a grill (and eat the first side of cow/bison/wooly mammoth that comes offa that monster) if you'll help me find him a suitable cordless circular saw with worm drive (whateverTF that is) for xmas.

The mere vapors of manliness will be enough to impregnate me!

I don't think such a thing exists. You can find cordless circular saws or worm drive circular saws, but not cordless worm drive circular saws. Worm drive saws are gonna need more power than a battery can put out. Might want to clarify exactly what he wants. Maybe I'm wrong.

robbovius

Oct 24, 2006, 1:27 PM
Post #17 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

...in my back yard. look, I might not especially mind the MUA death march, but I ain't dragging a two-burner grill up there.

Partner nostalgia

Oct 24, 2006, 1:40 PM
Post #18 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You need to sack up (so to speak) and go with charcoal. Real men don't cook on gas grills. You might as well just use your stove.
W0rd. If I wanted to cook over gas I'd do it in my kitchen. W00t!

And real men don't use briquettes. Briquette users are the sport climbers of the charcoal world.

*duck*

Kidding :) Seriously, only a n00b would use briquettes.

No, really. Use natural lump charcoal. It gets hotter (much!), has no chemical binders and just plain tastes better.

-Joe

reno

Oct 24, 2006, 2:54 PM
Post #19 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
W0rd. If I wanted to cook over gas I'd do it in my kitchen. W00t!

And real men don't use briquettes.

Pfffft.

REAL men are confident enough to have an open flame right next to a tank of propane, and don't need slow smoldering hunks of dead, already-been-burned-once wood.

And who wants the trouble of charcoal, anyway? First, you gotta go to the store, find a bag of charcoal, and make the decision between Kingsford, Matchlight, or the generic white bag/black letters "charcoal." Then you have to wait in line behind some blue haired old hag who is bitching over the 10 cent price difference on her Metamucil, pays exact change after fishing the coins one at a time out of her little coin purse, and finally you get home. Oh, shit, you forgot to get lighter fluid, so you get BACK into your car, drive BACK to the store, pick up a bottle of lighterfluid, then make a mad dash to the register before finding that you're once again stuck behind a little blue haired old hag (hey, are they twins?) and then get home again. Now you get to pull and pull on that one string on the bag that says "To open, pull here" but you never manage to get the bag open so you hunt around in the junk drawer in the kitchen to find a pair of scissors, open the bag, and then pour a measure of coal into the grill.... before you do this, though, you have to dump the ashes from LAST time, and lemme tell you, breathing in charcoal ash is one of life's greatest pleasures; now you pour in the new charcoal, and try to make them into a pile like it says but you can't cause every time you try to place the last piece on top, the whole damn thing falls down; so you finally say "screw it" and just put that last coal back in the bag, look at your black-dust covered hands, open the lighter fluid, squirt a bunch onto your not-quite-a-pile of coals, and reach for the matches. Standing back a few yards, cause you used so much fluid you just KNOW that this flame will rival that of the Burning Man, you strike one match after another, tossing them toward the coals, but they all go out before reaching your not-quite-a-pile, so you move a bit closer, strike one more match, and WHOOMPF! you've got fire. But you can't cook yet, no sir, so you have to wait an hour until the coals are all gray, by which point you're so drunk on beer that you decide to screw it all and just put the damn hot dogs in the microwave.

Yeah, I think I prefer a gas grill.

Partner camhead

Oct 24, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #20 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I mostly just cook with piρon that I scrounge on my own property. But, yeah, gas grills do have their place, especially for home barbequeing.

Right on, reno.

wjca

Oct 24, 2006, 3:31 PM
Post #21 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I grill four or five time a week on average. Much more often than I cook inside at least in the summer. I still grill outside in the winter a couple of times a week. It is much more convenient to fire my gas grill up with the push of a button and in 10 minutes be cooking, than to go through the hassle of getting coals going. Plus, I get a much more consistent temperature range.

I learned an important lesson this season. In prior seasons I only had one tank. When I thought it was low (especially if I was planning doing up some ribs or a tenderloin that takes a while), I'd go and exchange it for a fresh tank (at $18 or so a pop). This year I broke down and bought a second tank for $40 or so. I am repeatedly amazed at how long they actually last. I have been wasting so much propane in the past. Now, I'm able to bleed one tank dry and just switch in the middle of grilling. Totally more economical. The second tank has already paid for itself in one season.

Partner wideguy

Oct 24, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #22 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

His little brother was there. You were too busy eating your MRE's to notice the tasty steak he cooked Saturday :twisted:

atg200

Oct 24, 2006, 4:18 PM
Post #23 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno, like nostalgia says, briquets are for pansies - i pretty much only use them for camping. if you use good natural lump charcoal you get very few ashes, so the cleanup is no big deal. lighter fluid has a noticeable taste, so its much better to use a chimney or a paraffin starter to get your charcoal started. its a bummer not getting to see the lighter fluid startup fireball though.

i get my lump charcoal at lowe's - no blue haired ladies, plus it gives me an excuse to look at router bits and air tools. temperature control is just as easy as gas if you have a good charcoal grill and use lump charcoal, plus it is way better for smoking meat.

has anyone ever used one of the primo ceramic charcoal grills? boy do i want one: http://www.gascoals.net/...bid/870/Default.aspx

Partner epoch

Oct 24, 2006, 4:26 PM
Post #24 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

His little brother was there. You were too busy eating your MRE's to notice the tasty steak he cooked Saturday :twisted:

Actually I do believe that Jake and I were too busy climbing to be there for the steak he cooked Saturday.

wjca

Oct 24, 2006, 4:29 PM
Post #25 of 35 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
reno, like nostalgia says, briquets are for pansies - i pretty much only use them for camping. if you use good natural lump charcoal you get very few ashes, so the cleanup is no big deal. lighter fluid has a noticeable taste, so its much better to use a chimney or a paraffin starter to get your charcoal started. its a bummer not getting to see the lighter fluid startup fireball though.

i get my lump charcoal at lowe's - no blue haired ladies, plus it gives me an excuse to look at router bits and air tools. temperature control is just as easy as gas if you have a good charcoal grill and use lump charcoal, plus it is way better for smoking meat.

has anyone ever used one of the primo ceramic charcoal grills? boy do i want one: http://www.gascoals.net/...bid/870/Default.aspx

Speaking of ceramic grill/smokers, I know of people that swear by the Big Green Egg.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook