Oct 31, 2006, 9:41 PM
Post #126 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Re: The End of Faith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

As I said before... Religious beliefs are prevelant for many reasons:
-Easier to understand than current levels of science (Can you refute this?)
-Gives people hope (Poor, Wronged, Meek, Downtrodden will triumph.)
-Afterlife (We humans fear death, and want to be imortal.)
-Arogant (We want to think we are above everything else on the planet, and universe for that matter.)
-Empowerment (Gives people an "unasailable" excuse to kill, steal from, judge, bully, punish, 'educate' other groups of people... We compete for resources, and what better excuse to get rid of the competition?).

Those are just the ones off the top of my head... They are valid excuses today, just as they have been for melenia, and thus they are valid and potent reasons for its existance today.

Think about it for a second, and you will see that generally the mose devout believers of any faith are the one that have the hardest lives... Religion/faith gives them hope, and the courage to 'endure' their lives... The poor, the uneducated, the peasants, the victims of social injustice... Just these groups make up the bulk of the worlds "faithful", as it gives them hope, and allows them to endure... And in many cases, it also keeps them docile. Why ???

Conversely... Generally speaking, those with power, higher education, afluence tend to be less devout in their beliefs. Why ???

(For those who are smart and affluent yet devout, please look up the definition of generally before flying into a rant and discounting what I'm saying.)

Now as for explaining this in terms of Dawinism or Natural Selection...

The obvious would be that "the poor, the uneducated, the peasants, the victims of social injustice" are easily the vast majority of the world's population, and tend to be more prolific at producing offspring... Thus there are vastly more probable 'believers' being born than not. This can be said to fit the process of natural selection... More offspring born that are faithful, equals a population of more faithful. Think about it... Can anyone disagree with this statement ???

Lets face it: Affluencey begets afluencey, and poverty begets poverty, generally speaking.

Although I personally view natural selection as a process regarding "physical traits" not emotional or metaphysical ones, so I will say that its really apples and oranges trying to make religion fit that process.

This is this is part of what I was getting at. The most likely explanation is that religious belief has an adaptive function. It can create group cohesion, calm anxiety about death and uncertainty, give a sense of meaning, etc., etc. The most obvious solution is that religious beliefs are based in human need.

To put religion against science: is it really so obvious that science is a such a more adaptive activity for the human species? Science has given us the atom bombs, germ warfare, experimentation on human beings, global warming. It easily adapts to purposes which don't seem to be in the best interests of the human species. For example, how much scientific research goes into arms development and how much scientific research goes into curing diseases in countries where life expectancy is less than 50 years? Well, beats me. But I imagine there's no comparison. Or consider how easily science adapted to Nazism, Stalinsim etc. These regimes had no problem finding scientists to carry out genocide.

From the point of view of evolutionary theory I have a hard time imagining a criteria for truth which doesn't include adaptability. Which is perhaps why people like Dawkins are so shrill about trying to demonstrate the nonadaptibilty of religious belief. To someone like an evolutionary biologist, aknowleging that religious belief has an adaptive function is on par with saying it's true.

At any rate, and by total coincidence, just today I read a review of Dennett's book (the one fracture mentioned) written by Francisco J. Ayala http://www.faculty.uci.edu/....cfm?faculty_id=2134, which basically predicts Denentt''s book will not promote constructive dialogue (which is apparently is it's purpose).

Ah ha: the power of google and the internet. The review I read is on a pay to read site, but here's an abridged version and some comment:

http://www.beliefnet.com/...?discussionID=531127

blondgecko

Oct 31, 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #127 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is this is part of what I was getting at. The most likely explanation is that religious belief has an adaptive function. It can create group cohesion, calm anxiety about death and uncertainty, give a sense of meaning, etc., etc. The most obvious solution is that religious beliefs are based in human need.

It can also create fear and hatred of outsiders, wasting of time and resources in pointless rituals, subjugation of women, ostracision (or worse) of anyone "different", ... well, you get the point.

In reply to:
To put religion against science: is it really so obvious that science is a such a more adaptive activity for the human species? Science has given us the atom bombs, germ warfare, experimentation on human beings, global warming.

It has also increased our expected lifespan from around 40 to the 80's, turned a number of deadly diseases into mere inconveniences, and given you the clothes you wear, the clean water you drink, the ... well, you get the point.

In reply to:
It easily adapts to purposes which don't seem to be in the best interests of the human species. For example, how much scientific research goes into arms development and how much scientific research goes into curing diseases in countries where life expectancy is less than 50 years? Well, beats me. But I imagine there's no comparison. Or consider how easily science adapted to Nazism, Stalinsim etc. These regimes had no problem finding scientists to carry out genocide.

Do you seriously consider this the fault of science??? If so, you're even more stupid than I gave you credit for.

In reply to:
From the point of view of evolutionary theory I have a hard time imagining a criteria for truth which doesn't include adaptability. Which is perhaps why people like Dawkins are so shrill about trying to demonstrate the nonadaptibilty of religious belief.

See my post above for Dawkins' position.

In reply to:
To someone like an evolutionary biologist, aknowleging that religious belief has an adaptive function is on par with saying it's true.

:wtf: Because something makes somebody happy, it must be true? Oh boy, you really are that stupid.

:roll:

fracture

Oct 31, 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #128 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

There is no apparent contradiction between the idea of truth and the idea of Darwinian evolution. So I really have no idea what you are trying to ask me about---perhaps you can illustrate where you think the contradiction is, assuming you think there is one...

I must say that you sometimes sound more like a Platonist than Plato. "The idea of truth". "The idea of Darwinian evolution". As if these things existed apart in some realm, independent of the way the concepts might be used by you, me or anyone else.

I don't understand what sounds Platonist there---I was using "idea" there in a way completely consistent with common language usage.

And as I believe I said earlier: I don't think there was any such thing as "ideas" in the universe prior to the evolution of minds. If that sounds Platonist, I don't know what to tell you.

In reply to:
But I don't understand how bits on a hard drive could possibly be true or false.

It depends on their interpretation. Information is more than just its physical representation---there has to be something capable of reading and interpreting it.

If bits on a drive are treated as a claim by something (a human mind, a software program, or whatever), it can meaningful to discuss whether it is a true claim. If not, then not. Same thing for vibrating air, text written on paper, etc. There's nothing magical about this.

In reply to:
The ability to predict in a precise way can certainly be adaptive. As can other things. Is this part of your criteria for truth? A claim must correctly predict something?

Correct predictions help; so does consistency with other things that are considered "true" (on whatever grounds---observation, deduction, whatever).

In reply to:
I was referring to the claims in the actual post. And I guess I was baiting a bit. But I honestly would like to see a more constructive dialouge in these threads.

It's almost impossible to have a coherent discussion about anything without first assuming that "truth" is a meaningful concept. (Aside from John's claim that having coherent arguments is not important, I think he and I are mostly on the same page about this.)

In reply to:
In reply to:
I can't help you distinguish "true believers" from false ones. I don't even really know what that is supposed to mean. Presumably there is no person who only believes things which are true....

By a true believer I simply meant someone who believed the truth about some particular belief. The false believer is simply someone who holds the opposite belief.

But there isn't always an "opposite" belief.

In reply to:
(e.g. suppose we consider the religious-style belief that there is a God who deals out justice to human beings).

So what's the opposite of that? There's not any God? There's not a good reason to believe there's a God? There's actually three Gods, named Larry, Curly, and Moe? There's a God, but he deals out pain and suffering instead of Justice? That the proposition "there is a God" is neither true nor false---it's simply incoherent, because no one seems to be able to precisely explain what the word "God" is supposed to mean?

Anyway, I still don't really understand what this has to do with anything.

fracture

Oct 31, 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #129 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To put religion against science: is it really so obvious that science is a such a more adaptive activity for the human species?

Who cares?

Whether something is good or bad, or true or false, has nothing to do with whether it is adaptive for you to do it or believe it. The birth control pill is one of the greatest human inventions ever, and it is pretty obviously not beneficial for reproductive success...

Perhaps this is part of why you're so confused: my question to John wasn't about how his spiritual beliefs could be adaptive (or anything like that). It was about how his belief about the reality of this spiritual nonsense could be compatible with a universe in which organisms are gradually designed by a process of natural selection. Basically---how can a non-magical organism evolve to do something magical?

(Of course, John claims his claims aren't supernatural, but his plain refusal to describe them in naturalistic terms and his constant insistence that you cannot consider them in the same way you'd consider a scientific claim indicates that he's simply mistaken.)

In reply to:
From the point of view of evolutionary theory I have a hard time imagining a criteria for truth which doesn't include adaptability.

You really need to go read something about evolutionary theory (and its philosophical implications)....

In reply to:
To someone like an evolutionary biologist, aknowleging that religious belief has an adaptive function is on par with saying it's true.

Nope. Actually, almost the opposite, I'd say.

jt512

Nov 1, 2006, 1:27 AM
Post #130 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my question to John wasn't about how his spiritual beliefs could be adaptive (or anything like that). It was about how his belief about the reality of this spiritual nonsense could be compatible with a universe in which organisms are gradually designed by a process of natural selection. Basically---how can a non-magical organism evolve to do something magical?

(Of course, John claims his claims aren't supernatural, but his plain refusal to describe them in naturalistic terms and his constant insistence that you cannot consider them in the same way you'd consider a scientific claim indicates that he's simply mistaken.)

I think what John has been saying is that the only way to know whether his claims about direct perception (or whatever he has termed it) are true is to experiment yourself with meditation, and to see if you experience the phenomenon he describes. If that is the case, then your repeated requests for objective evidence are futile. None can exist.

You've also asked John to explain how direct perception could have evolved; but, if I understand John correctly, it is not that we have evolved to experience direct perception, but rather, we have evolved not to. That is, what has evolved is an elaborate thought process that tends to interfere with our innate ability to perceive directly. Every author I've read on this subject has said the same thing: that you experience direct perceptions only when you learn to quiet the constant inner dialogue of thought.

Now, I'm skeptical about the whole thing, but enough smart people claim to have had this type of experience that I'm open-minded to the possibility that it is real.

[Coincidentally, as I was reading this thread this afternoon at a coffee shop in Pasadena, at the next table, three famous Caltech guys (two of whom I recognized from TV or book jacket pictures, but can't put names to), one with a copy of the End of Faith, were discussing this very topic. It was a strange feeling to be reading this discussion while overhearing bits of essentially the same conversation among some famous scientists.]

Jay

fracture

Nov 1, 2006, 2:44 AM
Post #131 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
my question to John wasn't about how his spiritual beliefs could be adaptive (or anything like that). It was about how his belief about the reality of this spiritual nonsense could be compatible with a universe in which organisms are gradually designed by a process of natural selection. Basically---how can a non-magical organism evolve to do something magical?

I think what John has been saying is that the only way to know whether his claims about direct perception (or whatever he has termed it) are true is to experiment yourself with meditation, and to see if you experience the phenomenon he describes. If that is the case, then your repeated requests for objective evidence are futile. None can exist.

Yes, that is absolutely what he's saying. The problems I have with it are i) he refuses to specify what the phenomena he's talking about are, beyond some essentially meaningless clichés like "being totally present", ii) he is claiming he isn't actually making any claims and that his position therefore should be immune to counter-argument, and iii) if one is going to take this tactic seriously, you essentially have to allow its use to argue any other proposition---if people disagree, you can just declare they haven't had the experience.

Let me illustrate by analogy.

The God of the Old Testament exists. I know, because of direct personal experience. This isn't a belief or some dogmatic mumbo jumbo, it's actual knowledge---I've experienced it. It's as real as gravity or getting burned by a hot stove. You can't understand or even really consider what I'm telling you with the tools of rational argument and debate, and I'm not shitting you, why would I? But if you put in the work you can experience this, too. If you don't, you'll never really understand what it's like.

Substitute Flying Spaghetti Monster, Zeus, ESP, communication with the dead, or anything else you'd like.

In reply to:
You've also asked John to explain how direct perception could have evolved; but, if I understand John correctly, it is not that we have evolved to experience direct perception, but rather, we have evolved not to. That is, what has evolved is an elaborate thought process that tends to interfere with our innate ability to perceive directly.

I don't really think this is what John has said at all. (At least, not using evolutionary language.)

But, if we do have an "innate ability to perceive directly"---whatever that actually means---whether obstructed or not, it has to have evolved. It has to have either been some sort of accidental bi-product of useful adaptations, or it has to have been an adaptation itself.

This means it can't be something magical---it, at least in principle, has to be something a machine could to do. This same thing causes problems for those who want to take dualist doctrines of consciousness seriously: the idea of a magical separation between Mind and Matter makes less than no sense if we also want to say that minds and consciousness are a product of Darwinian natural selection.

In reply to:
Every author I've read on this subject has said the same thing: that you experience direct perceptions only when you learn to quiet the constant inner dialogue of thought.

I don't believe in the "constant inner dialogue of thought". Or at least, I don't believe I experience it as I've read it described (which, by the way, I'm curious what authors you're thinking of---I'm only really aware of this as a doctrine of pop self-help guru type stuff).

But introspection is very unreliable as a means of philosophical investigation about the nature of consciousness. (This was discussed some in a thread a while back, IIRC.)

In reply to:
Now, I'm skeptical about the whole thing, but enough smart people claim to have had this type of experience that I'm open-minded to the possibility that it is real.

Yeah---I don't claim to know for certain that it isn't real. But I don't really think that's a very important issue---I can see no good reason to believe it is real, so I'll go ahead and assume it isn't. There's a whole lot of smart people who believe in God, too. But as you mentioned earlier in this thread, the burden of proof is on those who believe.

jt512

Nov 1, 2006, 3:46 AM
Post #132 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Yes, that is absolutely what he's saying. The problems I have with it are...ii) he is claiming he isn't actually making any claims and that his position therefore should be immune to counter-argument

Well, obviously, he is making a claim; but if he doesn't realize he is, that shouldn't matter if what you are interested in is finding out the truth of the proposition, rather than in winning an argument about it.

In reply to:
iii) if one is going to take this tactic seriously, you essentially have to allow its use to argue any other proposition---if people disagree, you can just declare they haven't had the experience.

The God of the Old Testament exists. I know, because of direct personal experience...

Sure, but God is implausible, whereas the idea that that there is a quality of perception unobstructed by thought, is not.

In reply to:
In reply to:
You've also asked John to explain how direct perception could have evolved; but, if I understand John correctly, it is not that we have evolved to experience direct perception, but rather, we have evolved not to. That is, what has evolved is an elaborate thought process that tends to interfere with our innate ability to perceive directly.

I don't really think this is what John has said at all. (At least, not using evolutionary language.)

I agree that that is not what John has said. Rather, I think that that is what John should have said and, possibly, what he might have said if he were more scientifically oriented.

In reply to:
But, if we do have an "innate ability to perceive directly"---whatever that actually means---whether obstructed or not, it has to have evolved. It has to have either been some sort of accidental bi-product of useful adaptations, or it has to have been an adaptation itself.

I think you are missing the simplicity of the proposition. Direct perception, is (I think) supposedly the simple the thing; it's all the thinking we do that is the more advanced evolutionary development. The labels that our brains put on things interfere with what our perception of those things would be without the labels. Once we've labeled something, we have trouble perceiving the thing directly--as it really is; rather, we tend to perceive an image that we have associated with the label. As a very simplistic example: you see a friend, "Bob," whom you haven't seen in 10 years, and his values have changed in some way over this time period. But, it takes you weeks of conversation to realize it. Why? Because you had an (unreasonable) expectation based on an image you had of him. Ten years later, you weren't "seeing" the real person, but rather, were stuck in the 10-year-old image your brain had created of him.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Every author I've read on this subject has said the same thing: that you experience direct perceptions only when you learn to quiet the constant inner dialogue of thought.

I don't believe in the "constant inner dialogue of thought".

I think that it is quite easy to see that it exists. Simply, sit quietly with your eyes close for a few minutes and observe your thoughts. Is your mind quiet? No, you're constantly having thoughts. The question is, can you stop thinking all the time, and if you can, what's left?

In reply to:
Or at least, I don't believe I experience it as I've read it described (which, by the way, I'm curious what authors you're thinking of---I'm only really aware of this as a doctrine of pop self-help guru type stuff).

J. Krishnamurti comes to mind, though he may not have phrased it using my words exactly.

Jay

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 1, 2006, 3:52 AM
Post #133 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fracture... You do make some good and valid points, but you also overlook when people speak in "general" terms, and discount what they say with extreme examples. I have yet to see you concede that someone with an opposing view even makes a good point, but have only attacked and attempted to discredit opposing views or the opposers themselves. Problem is... You think you are the most logical person in this thread, and that others just aren't up to your level of rationale. I think you are failing to see that your ability to actually consider an opposing point of view objectively is on par with that of Bill O'Riely, Al Sharpton, or even Pat Robertson.

This is counterproductive to reasonable and rational debate. I for one do not wish to get into a "tit for tat" pissing contest disguised as an intelectual debate for the purpose of sport... I've really lost the patience and desire to engage in the drama of having to win... Call that a "cop out", you are fond of that retort, and it will ensure you get the last word in with me.

You really should consider writing a manifesto, as it appears that you have all the answers... I trust you will not end up in a little hut in the middle of the forest making mail bombs with handmade brass screws, ala another intelectual who took himself way too seriously. :wink:

(Note-The last paragraph was only meant in sarcastic humor. I hope no offense was taken, as it was certainly more inoquous than some of the personal slams levied by you against others within this thread.)

fracture

Nov 1, 2006, 6:34 AM
Post #134 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Yes, that is absolutely what he's saying. The problems I have with it are...ii) he is claiming he isn't actually making any claims and that his position therefore should be immune to counter-argument

Well, obviously, he is making a claim; but if he doesn't realize he is, that shouldn't matter if what you are interested in is finding out the truth of the proposition, rather than in winning an argument about it.

Well, it does matter if you are trying to goad him into providing some sort of a coherent argument so you can actually understand what he's saying. ;)

But as far as finding out the truth of his claim---I don't think the methodology he suggests is a valid way of doing that, in principle.

In reply to:
In reply to:

The God of the Old Testament exists. I know, because of direct personal experience...

Sure, but God is implausible, whereas the idea that that there is a quality of perception unobstructed by thought, is not.

This is just begging the question, though. Plenty of people think God is not implausible. And while you apparently think this "pure perception" stuff is plausible, I just think it is too incoherent to really be taken seriously.

In reply to:
In reply to:

I think you are missing the simplicity of the proposition. Direct perception, is (I think) supposedly the simple the thing; it's all the thinking we do that is the more advanced evolutionary development. The labels that our brains put on things interfere with what our perception of those things would be without the labels.

You are almost saying something specific enough for me to understand it---but don't you think you're already losing the flavor of mystery and spirituality that is so central in John's version?

For example:

In reply to:
Once we've labeled something, we have trouble perceiving the thing directly--as it really is; rather, we tend to perceive an image that we have associated with the label.

This almost seems like something that could even be molded into a testable hypothesis (assuming you can come up with a specific meanings for "labeling" something and perceiving it "directly"). The (presumed) additional claim that somehow meditation can limit this (in a beneficial way) would probably be testable as well.

But, if we got to that point, this would seem to imply that we may not really be discussing John's particular doctrine, which he has already stated is manifestly not "measurable" or testable in a scientific fashion.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I don't believe in the "constant inner dialogue of thought".

I think that it is quite easy to see that it exists. Simply, sit quietly with your eyes close for a few minutes and observe your thoughts. Is your mind quiet? No, you're constantly having thoughts.

This is why introspection is so faulty as a philosophical method for examining consciousness. Introspection can be used as an argument for virtually any philosophy of mind.

Anyway, one obvious problem here is that your experience of your own thoughts when you close your eyes and make an effort to observe them is not necessarily representative of what they are like under other circumstances. Another is that you might simply be wrong---introspective experience is just not as infallible as it seems intuitively (prime examples demonstrating this are things like Benjamin Libet's famous "readiness potential" experiments, or experiments where split brain patients invent novel rationales for behavior that they were asked to do through the other half of the brain, etc).

Anyway: I certainly don't feel like I constantly have internal thoughts in the sense of fully formed English sentences (assuming that's what you mean). It's quite possible, however, that I'm simply wrong. The point is that it's just impossible to determine this on your own, without some sort of third-person scientific investigation. (At issue here is the methodological distinction between autophenomenology and heterophenomenology (to use Dennett's terms).)

In reply to:
J. Krishnamurti comes to mind, though he may not have phrased it using my words exactly.

Well, I think I'm probably just not open-minded enough for this kind of thing---the wikipedia page is enough to discourage me from looking into his "teachings" any further. :)

fracture

Nov 1, 2006, 6:42 AM
Post #135 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
fracture... You do make some good and valid points, but you also overlook when people speak in "general" terms, and discount what they say with extreme examples.

Example?

In reply to:
I have yet to see you concede that someone with an opposing view even makes a good point, but have only attacked and attempted to discredit opposing views or the opposers themselves.

I think you should re-read your post. You are doing precisely what you are accusing me of doing. ;)

yanqui

Nov 1, 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #136 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It (religion) can also create fear and hatred of outsiders, wasting of time and resources in pointless rituals, subjugation of women, ostracision (or worse) of anyone "different", ... well, you get the point.

All those problems can associated to science as well, in so far as it becomes an unreasonably rigid belief system. Here´s a quote from Dennett showing us his fear and hatred of the outsiders:

I think that there are no forces on this planet more dangerous to us all than the fanaticisms of fundamentalism, of all the species: Protestantism, Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism, as well as countless smaller infections. Is there a conflict between science and religion here? There most certainly is. [Daniel C. Dennett, Darwin's Dangerous Idea]

If you want examples of how the scientific community has subjugated (and continues to subjugate) women, I can find those as well.

As far as pointless rituals go, how much of science is really of any practical value to mankind? Having taught basic algebra to 100s of uninterested students, I'm quite tempted to say that forcing them to learn to factor polynomials verges on a "pointless ritual". And I think they would agree. In fact, I could class almost all that went on in my basic university science classes as "pointless rituals". Though I would say I learned something valuable in general physics. And math was interesting to me. Thus, to me factoring polinomiales was not a "pointless ritual". Maybe some religious people would find some meaning in what you class as "pointless rituals"?

In reply to:
It has also increased our expected lifespan from around 40 to the 80's, turned a number of deadly diseases into mere inconveniences, and given you the clothes you wear, the clean water you drink, the ... well, you get the point..

Well my great grandad actually lived to be 95. I hope I'm so lucky.

Interestlingly enough, the biggest leaps and bounds in the average lifespan came when the overall expenditure on science was small compared to GDP (if you want, I can look for facts and figues on this, but I know this is a fact). Now that the overall expenditure on science is much larger, the average life expectancy is hardly growing at all. And trends show that the average life expectancy may actually DECREASE in the future, even though the expenditure on science continues to grow.

Science has certainly helped with a number of diseases. But how many of these diseases occur in poor areas, were people can't afford to pay the high money return that modern science demands?

About this clothes stuff: are you actually suggesting that people didn't have clothes before SCIENCE provided them???? Or water for that matter. Actually, my water comes from a low tech well dug in my own back yard and has almost nothing to do with science, at least if you mean stuff like quantum physics, evolutionary biology or artificial intelligence.

In reply to:
yanqui said: It easily adapts to purposes which don't seem to be in the best interests of the human species. For example, how much scientific research goes into arms development and how much scientific research goes into curing diseases in countries where life expectancy is less than 50 years? Well, beats me. But I imagine there's no comparison. Or consider how easily science adapted to Nazism, Stalinsim etc. These regimes had no problem finding scientists to carry out genocide.

In reply to:
Do you seriously consider this the fault of science??? If so, you're even more stupid than I gave you credit for.

"even more stupid than I gave you credit for". This is an example of enlightened scientific thought? I guess that speaks for itself.

At any rate, the fact that science easliy adapts to evil purposes is a SHORTCOMING of science, so I guess in that sense we may say it is a FAULT of science. It indictes that science is an incomplete belief system in terms of human need.

In reply to:
See my post above for Dawkins' position.

I already know about this.

In reply to:
yanqui said: To someone like an evolutionary biologist, aknowleging that religious belief has an adaptive function is on par with saying it's true.

In reply to:

:wtf: Because something makes somebody happy, it must be true? Oh boy, you really are that stupid.

:roll:

Don't you study some kind of biology or something? Since when do biologists define "adaptivity" as making someone happy? I'm really not in the loop, but is this definition of adaptivity you're using a new trend in biology or something?

Maybe you can enlighten us about the relationship between adaptivity and "truth". I would actually be interested in this. And please be clear and precise.

yanqui

Nov 1, 2006, 1:56 PM
Post #137 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

There is no apparent contradiction between the idea of truth and the idea of Darwinian evolution. So I really have no idea what you are trying to ask me about---perhaps you can illustrate where you think the contradiction is, assuming you think there is one...

I must say that you sometimes sound more like a Platonist than Plato. "The idea of truth". "The idea of Darwinian evolution". As if these things existed apart in some realm, independent of the way the concepts might be used by you, me or anyone else.

I don't understand what sounds Platonist there---I was using "idea" there in a way completely consistent with common language usage.

And as I believe I said earlier: I don't think there was any such thing as "ideas" in the universe prior to the evolution of minds. If that sounds Platonist, I don't know what to tell you.

In reply to:
But I don't understand how bits on a hard drive could possibly be true or false.

It depends on their interpretation. Information is more than just its physical representation---there has to be something capable of reading and interpreting it.

If bits on a drive are treated as a claim by something (a human mind, a software program, or whatever), it can meaningful to discuss whether it is a true claim. If not, then not. Same thing for vibrating air, text written on paper, etc. There's nothing magical about this.

In reply to:
The ability to predict in a precise way can certainly be adaptive. As can other things. Is this part of your criteria for truth? A claim must correctly predict something?

Correct predictions help; so does consistency with other things that are considered "true" (on whatever grounds---observation, deduction, whatever).

In reply to:
I was referring to the claims in the actual post. And I guess I was baiting a bit. But I honestly would like to see a more constructive dialouge in these threads.

It's almost impossible to have a coherent discussion about anything without first assuming that "truth" is a meaningful concept. (Aside from John's claim that having coherent arguments is not important, I think he and I are mostly on the same page about this.)

In reply to:
In reply to:
I can't help you distinguish "true believers" from false ones. I don't even really know what that is supposed to mean. Presumably there is no person who only believes things which are true....

By a true believer I simply meant someone who believed the truth about some particular belief. The false believer is simply someone who holds the opposite belief.

But there isn't always an "opposite" belief.

In reply to:
(e.g. suppose we consider the religious-style belief that there is a God who deals out justice to human beings).

So what's the opposite of that? There's not any God? There's not a good reason to believe there's a God? There's actually three Gods, named Larry, Curly, and Moe? There's a God, but he deals out pain and suffering instead of Justice? That the proposition "there is a God" is neither true nor false---it's simply incoherent, because no one seems to be able to precisely explain what the word "God" is supposed to mean?

Anyway, I still don't really understand what this has to do with anything.

The Platonist stuff is a sort of misunderstanding. Though not entirely. But I feel I understand what you were trying to say a bit better.

I'm still interested in how you think bits on a hard drive can be true or false. If I understand, you seem to say that the truth value of the bit can be defined by a software program. Is this definition arbitrary, or does it have a further objective criteria in terms of whether or not the software carries out the programmed function in terms of it's "belief"? I hope this makes sense, because it's a real question.

I also like when you seem to suggest that "true", as a concept used by human beings, can take on a variety of DISTINCT meanings. That's one reason I think we should probably be careful when we blow off certain beliefs because of the truth value we assign. Especially when those beliefs have a widely accepted prevelence and a proven resiliency. In the context of mathematics, the meaning of true and false is quite clear. Outside of that realm, things become considerably trickier.

As far as the last stuff fracture, about "true believers", it seems to me you're being intentionally vague and argumentative. I was answering a question you asked about what I meant. I am a mathematician. For a mathematician, a proposition is either true or false. There is no middle ground. I think you know that. A proposition is false when "it is not the case that ..." however that might be. In other word, if there is no God that deals out justice. Maybe religious beliefs shouldn't be treated as propositions. That may certainly may be the case. For the sake of illustration, I was trying to use a religious belief as an example.

Here, let me give you an example from mathematics. The belief is: there is a smallest real number in the open interval of real numbers between 0 and 1. What is the opposite, in this case? I think you know the answer and what is true here.

yanqui

Nov 1, 2006, 2:54 PM
Post #138 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
To put religion against science: is it really so obvious that science is a such a more adaptive activity for the human species?

Who cares?

Wait a minute. Are you implying, for example, that if the activity of science were to lead to the extinction of the human species, that doesn't matter? This seems like a strange thing to blow off: "extermination of the human species phhhhh who cares? At least they practiced science, which was the really important thing."

In reply to:
[Whether something is good or bad, or true or false, has nothing to do with whether it is adaptive for you to do it or believe it. The birth control pill is one of the greatest human inventions ever, and it is pretty obviously not beneficial for reproductive success...

Maybe I'm not correctly using the word "adapative". What I meant was something along the lines of "beneficial to the human species", or at least: "promoting the survival of the species". In that case your example of the birth control pill would be something quite adaptive, since it leads to a control of overpopulation, which definitely could endanger the human species.

If you think that "adaptive" in my terms has NOTHING to do with true or false beliefs, that's because you've never raised a small child that you loved. Perhaps your concept of true and false is a bit too slanted to the kinds of things academics put on a curriculum vitae.

When you raise a small child, these are the kind of beliefs you deal with:

1) Don't put that in your mouth or you'll choke
2) Don't run out in front of the car or you'll kill yourself
3) Don't climb up there or you'll fall and break your neck
4) You better eat some good food or you'll end up getting sick
5) Drink your juice/milk it's good for you
6) Don't throw those things at Rafy or you'll poke his eye out.
7) Don't eat that plant, it's posionous
8) Stay away from the snakes, they're posionous

etc, etc, etc ...

The list seems almost infinite, and goes on and on. The truth value of these beliefs is quite clear, even functional. These are an example of what I would call "adaptive beliefs". Their truth is inherent in the adaptivity. In other words, parents/children who ignore these beliefs wind up NOT passing on their genes. Darwin's law at its clearest.

This is why the typical academic example of a belief we can test by observation, e.g. "the flower is red" is so stupid. I NEVER taught my child "the belief" the flower is red. I DID teach her to USE the word red by pointing out to her that such and such a flower was red. And she might have asked me "what color is that flower?", but not because she was confused about her belief, but rather because she'd forgotten what word we use to describe that color. On the other hand, I did teach her the belief that if she eats the red flowers in the garden, they are posionious and she'll get sick.

So now, tell me why you think adaptivity, in the sense I'm using it here, has NOTHING to do with truth?

fracture

Nov 1, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #139 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
It (religion) can also create fear and hatred of outsiders, wasting of time and resources in pointless rituals, subjugation of women, ostracision (or worse) of anyone "different", ... well, you get the point.

All those problems can associated to science as well, in so far as it becomes an unreasonably rigid belief system. Here´s a quote from Dennett showing us his fear and hatred of the outsiders:

I think that there are no forces on this planet more dangerous to us all than the fanaticisms of fundamentalism, of all the species: Protestantism, Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism, as well as countless smaller infections. Is there a conflict between science and religion here? There most certainly is. [Daniel C. Dennett, Darwin's Dangerous Idea]

Where is the fear and hatred in this quote?

In case you haven't actually read the book, this comes from a chapter at the end entitled "in praise of biodiversity" (Dennett is talking about diversity in culture), in which he more of less defends religious traditions as beautiful aspects of human culture which are worth carefully preserving (to the extent that is safe to do so).

Some other things in there that you apparently missed...

"We are wise to respect these traditions. It is, after all, just part of respect for the biosphere."

"[Religions] have inspired many people to lead lives that have added immeasurably to the wonders of our world, and they have inspired many more people to lead lives that were, given their circumstances, more meaningful, less painful, than they otherwise would have been."

"Another thing religions have accomplished [..] is that they have kept Homo sapiens civilized enough, for long enough, for us to have learned how to reflect more systematically and accurately on our position in the universe."

"I love the King James version of the Bible."

"How many of us are caught in that very dilemma, loving the heritage, firmly convinced of its value, yet unable to sustain any conviction at all in its truth?"

I don't think I really agree with him (I don't generally care too much for cultural traditions of any sort, religious or otherwise). But it is an excellent chapter, and it is amazingly ironic how frequently it is quoted to make it look like he is saying the exact opposite of what he's actually saying. (But at least you didn't quote the "cultural zoos" comment. :))

In reply to:
As far as pointless rituals go, how much of science is really of any practical value to mankind?

An ironic thing to ask over the internet. ;)

In reply to:
Science has certainly helped with a number of diseases. But how many of these diseases occur in poor areas, were people can't afford to pay the high money return that modern science demands?

This is a huge problem, but I don't think the problem is science. (Personally, I think a huge part of it is the concept of intellectual property.)

In reply to:
At any rate, the fact that science easliy adapts to evil purposes is a SHORTCOMING of science, so I guess in that sense we may say it is a FAULT of science.

I think it's a shortcoming of human beings.

In reply to:
Maybe you can enlighten us about the relationship between adaptivity and "truth". I would actually be interested in this. And please be clear and precise.

I can't speak for blond, but my answer would be that there is no relationship. (Except in the cases where we're talking about the truth value of claims specifically about adaptivity, but I don't think that's what you meant.)

fracture

Nov 1, 2006, 4:56 PM
Post #140 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm still interested in how you think bits on a hard drive can be true or false. If I understand, you seem to say that the truth value of the bit can be defined by a software program. Is this definition arbitrary, or does it have a further objective criteria in terms of whether or not the software carries out the programmed function in terms of it's "belief"? I hope this makes sense, because it's a real question.

I understand what you're getting at, though I'm not sure if I understand the exact question. Let me try anyway.

It doesn't have anything to do with whether the software program (or human) carries out a desired function, and for that matter the program doesn't have to know whether it is true or not. More importantly, we're talking about a relatively special scenario here---it doesn't make sense to talk about whether a file containing random numbers is "true", but it does make sense to talk about whether a file containing a sentence of formal logic is "true".

In reply to:
I also like when you seem to suggest that "true", as a concept used by human beings, can take on a variety of DISTINCT meanings. That's one reason I think we should probably be careful when we blow off certain beliefs because of the truth value we assign. Especially when those beliefs have a widely accepted prevelence and a proven resiliency. In the context of mathematics, the meaning of true and false is quite clear. Outside of that realm, things become considerably trickier.

I suppose I agree with all of that. But I don't think it makes sense to jump from there to taking implausible supernatural doctrines seriously, or to rejecting the usefulness of argument and rational inquiry as a tool for trying to figure out whether something is true or not.

In reply to:
As far as the last stuff fracture, about "true believers", it seems to me you're being intentionally vague and argumentative. I was answering a question you asked about what I meant. I am a mathematician. For a mathematician, a proposition is either true or false. There is no middle ground. I think you know that. A proposition is false when "it is not the case that ..." however that might be. In other word, if there is no God that deals out justice. Maybe religious beliefs shouldn't be treated as propositions. That may certainly may be the case. For the sake of illustration, I was trying to use a religious belief as an example.

Right. I don't think religious belief (or most claims in natural languages) work the same way. Something that isn't true isn't necessarily false. Sentences can contain a whole host of claims that don't appear at the surface.

There's a reason formal logic hasn't replaced linguistics. :)

In reply to:
Here, let me give you an example from mathematics. The belief is: there is a smallest real number in the open interval of real numbers between 0 and 1. What is the opposite, in this case? I think you know the answer and what is true here.

As an example of how this differs from normal language, we can take the traditional example of a "loaded" question and turn it into a proposition. "You have stopped beating your wife." What's the opposite, in this case? ;)

(As an aside, I don't know the answer on that real number question. Does it maybe depend on whether you are dealing with hyperreals (and infinitesimals)? I'm not much of a math guy, sorry...)

fracture

Nov 1, 2006, 5:15 PM
Post #141 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Who cares?

Wait a minute. Are you implying, for example, that if the activity of science were to lead to the extinction of the human species, that doesn't matter? This seems like a strange thing to blow off: "extermination of the human species phhhhh who cares? At least they practiced science, which was the really important thing."

Well. I guess I'm not too concerned about the long term survival of the species, but I get your point. If science was going to lead to the destruction of all human life in 20 years, that'd kinda suck.

But the point I was trying to make is that if you're arguing whether or not something is true, what the consequences would be if it were true is irrelevant.

In reply to:
In reply to:
[Whether something is good or bad, or true or false, has nothing to do with whether it is adaptive for you to do it or believe it. The birth control pill is one of the greatest human inventions ever, and it is pretty obviously not beneficial for reproductive success...

Maybe I'm not correctly using the word "adapative". What I meant was something along the lines of "beneficial to the human species", or at least: "promoting the survival of the species". In that case your example of the birth control pill would be something quite adaptive, since it leads to a control of overpopulation, which definitely could endanger the human species.

This is not a biologist's version of "adaptive". What you're talking about is group selection, which isn't how evolution works.

"Adaptive" means beneficial to the replication of the genes. (Usually this means an individual organism's reproductive success, but in other interesting cases (kin selection, etc) it's not so simple.)

From this perspective, the birth control pill is definitely not adaptive. Neither is the deliberate choice many modern couples make to not have offspring. But that doesn't mean either of these things aren't beneficial to the species. Or beneficial to the individuals. It's just not beneficial to their genes.

In reply to:

I have trouble considering an imperative sentence as a "belief"....

"Don't put that in your mouth" isn't true or false. It's a command to not to do certain behaviors.

In reply to:
I NEVER taught my child "the belief" the flower is red. I DID teach her to USE the word red by pointing out to her that such and such a flower was red. And she might have asked me "what color is that flower?", but not because she was confused about her belief, but rather because she'd forgotten what word we use to describe that color.

"The color of the flower is 'red'" is a different sentence from "The color of the flower is red". One is a claim about the meaning of words, the other is a claim about the color of flowers.

(This is the use-mention distinction.)

In reply to:
So now, tell me why you think adaptivity, in the sense I'm using it here, has NOTHING to do with truth?

How would you say the truth value of the claim "there is no greatest prime number" is related to adaptivity (in yours or any other sense)?

jt512

Nov 1, 2006, 5:45 PM
Post #142 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

... but God is implausible, whereas the idea that that there is a quality of perception unobstructed by thought, is not.

This is just begging the question, though. Plenty of people think God is not implausible.

People can think what they want. It doesn't alter the mathematical fact that God (as creator of the Universe) is implausible.

In reply to:
And while you apparently think this "pure perception" stuff is plausible, I just think it is too incoherent to really be taken seriously.

I don't think that is a reasonable position to take. The idea that there might be a state or quality of consciousness that you haven't experienced (or at least recognize that you've experienced) is hardly an outlandish claim. Sam Harris states as a fact that such a state exists, and I think he explains its nature using terminology that is easier to understand than Largo's.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Once we've labeled something, we have trouble perceiving the thing directly--as it really is; rather, we tend to perceive an image that we have associated with the label.

This almost seems like something that could even be molded into a testable hypothesis (assuming you can come up with a specific meanings for "labeling" something and perceiving it "directly"). The (presumed) additional claim that somehow meditation can limit this (in a beneficial way) would probably be testable as well.

We are talking about an experience. It doesn't seem a subject matter well suited for scientific testing. Rather, it seems to me, that if you are interested in finding out whether such a state exists (and its attainment desirable), then the obvious way to do it would be to do the meditative work that seems universally acknowledged necessary. What would be the motivation for testing, when you can just go and have a look for yourself.

Jay

fracture

Nov 1, 2006, 6:44 PM
Post #143 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

... but God is implausible, whereas the idea that that there is a quality of perception unobstructed by thought, is not.

This is just begging the question, though. Plenty of people think God is not implausible.

People can think what they want. It doesn't alter the mathematical fact that God (as creator of the Universe) is implausible.

I think God is implausible on philosophical, not mathematical grounds. Though I'm curious what exactly you're thinking of when you say "mathematical fact". (Is this in Harris' book? Or can you point me to something?)

In reply to:
In reply to:
And while you apparently think this "pure perception" stuff is plausible, I just think it is too incoherent to really be taken seriously.

I don't think that is a reasonable position to take. The idea that there might be a state or quality of consciousness that you haven't experienced (or at least recognize that you've experienced) is hardly an outlandish claim.

Yeah, when you put it that way, it doesn't seem outlandish at all. But at least from where I'm sitting, that doesn't really seem like a complete description of the claims John is making. His unexperienced state of consciousness has a distinct mysterious and spiritual flavor. As stated above, yours trivially applies to anyone who hasn't ever gotten drunk, smoked marijuana, had a concussion, had their prefrontal cortex surgically removed, etc.

In reply to:
Sam Harris states as a fact that such a state exists, and I think he explains its nature using terminology that is easier to understand than Largo's.

Perhaps I'll read it at some point.

I found this, and I don't find his arguments there particularly convincing (or particularly similar to John's---Harris even suggests that a scientific hypothesis on this topic could and should be formed).

Anyway, it basically sounds like he is endorsing autophenomenology as a philosophical method without any discussion or argument on the potential drawbacks and fallibility thereof. In that article, the extent of his "argument" (if you can call it that) is that "In fact, such a practice [introspection] constitutes the only rational basis for making detailed (first-person) claims about the nature of human subjectivity."

But perhaps he goes into more detail in his book...?

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

We are talking about an experience. It doesn't seem a subject matter well suited for scientific testing.

It is difficult, yes, but if we really want to understand subjective experience, we have to study it scientifically. Harris apparently believes first-person stuff is a viable method, but even he appears to agree that a scientific approach needs to be taken.

By the way, Dennett has some of his articles on line, if you're interested in reading some of his arguments for heterophenomenology (here and here). (There is perhaps a clearer argument with less responses to specific objections in his book Consciousness Explained, but I don't think it's online.)

In reply to:
Rather, it seems to me, that if you are interested in finding out whether such a state exists (and its attainment desirable), then the obvious way to do it would be to do the meditative work that seems universally acknowledged necessary. What would be the motivation for testing, when you can just go and have a look for yourself.

Well, for one, at least in both John and Harris' version, it's not just "having a look"---it's "work" and can be "terribly difficult to acquire".

But the main point I've been trying to get across here is that "having a look for yourself" is incapable of yielding a real understanding, assuming there is even a specific phenomenon here to try to understand.

Introspection led Descartes to "prove" that God existed, and that his mind lived in a separate magical universe, apart from his body. It leads Sam Harris to conclude what appears to be almost the opposite: "... that the feeling we call 'I'—the sense that there is a thinker giving rise to our thoughts, an experiencer distinct from the mere flow of experience—can disappear when looked for in a rigorous way."

The point is that this is just a fundamentally flawed methodology. It allows you to claim almost whatever you want to claim.

jt512

Nov 1, 2006, 9:04 PM
Post #144 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I think God is implausible on philosophical, not mathematical grounds. Though I'm curious what exactly you're thinking of when you say "mathematical fact".

Maybe "mathematical fact" was over-reaching, but what I was thinking is that there are an infinite number of possible creators of the universe we could hypothesize {Baal, Thor, Flying Spaghetti Monster, superior race from another Universe, the Abrahamic God, ...}. None of these add any explanatory power to a model of the Universe without any of them, and among this set of hypothesized creators, we have no rational reason to think one any more likely than another. Therefore, the simplest assumption would be to assign them all the same probability. And since there are an infinite number of them, the probability of any one of them approaches 1/inf, which is basically 0.

Jay

yanqui

Nov 2, 2006, 8:59 PM
Post #145 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Who cares?

Well. I guess I'm not too concerned about the long term survival of the species, but I get your point. If science was going to lead to the destruction of all human life in 20 years, that'd kinda suck.

But the point I was trying to make is that if you're arguing whether or not something is true, what the consequences would be if it were true is irrelevant.

In reply to:
In reply to:

This is not a biologist's version of "adaptive". What you're talking about is group selection, which isn't how evolution works.

"Adaptive" means beneficial to the replication of the genes. (Usually this means an individual organism's reproductive success, but in other interesting cases (kin selection, etc) it's not so simple.)

From this perspective, the birth control pill is definitely not adaptive. Neither is the deliberate choice many modern couples make to not have offspring. But that doesn't mean either of these things aren't beneficial to the species. Or beneficial to the individuals. It's just not beneficial to their genes.

In reply to:

I have trouble considering an imperative sentence as a "belief"....

"Don't put that in your mouth" isn't true or false. It's a command to not to do certain behaviors.

In reply to:
I NEVER taught my child "the belief" the flower is red. I DID teach her to USE the word red by pointing out to her that such and such a flower was red. And she might have asked me "what color is that flower?", but not because she was confused about her belief, but rather because she'd forgotten what word we use to describe that color.

"The color of the flower is 'red'" is a different sentence from "The color of the flower is red". One is a claim about the meaning of words, the other is a claim about the color of flowers.

(This is the use-mention distinction.)

In reply to:

How would you say the truth value of the claim "there is no greatest prime number" is related to adaptivity (in yours or any other sense)?

Those were good posts and I find myself in agreement all over the place. A few comments, if you please:

1) I had NOT read Dennett and I was only aware of some of the more inflammatory quotes. I'm glad you took the time to lay out his position more clearly.

2) There certainly are intrinsic values of science to most scientists: they find the activity stimulating, interesting rewarding, etc. Perhaps they see beauty in the way they look at nature, or they enjoy the precision and power they feel in their activity. It's clear science has produced many things of practical value for nonscientists. I'm in no way anti-science. But I do think the practical value of science to nonscientists, for what ever reasons, is perhaps somewhat smaller than many pro-science people commonly think .

3) I guess I still don't get this belief stuff modeled on computers. I thought you might be giving some sort of functional definition for the truth evaluation of beliefs, something like where the computer could assign "true" or "false" to a given belief in terms of a particular program and then this assignment could be evaluated in terms of the success of the program in its specified function. That kinda struck me as an interesting idea. But now I don't think you meant this at all. Anyways, don't sweat it.

4) That list of stuff that I say to my daughter carries both an imperative meaning AND a descriptive meaning. Not only do I want her to stop doing something, or to be careful, but I also want her to become aware about the dangers in her environment and about the possible consequences of her actions. Not only do I want her not run out in front of cars, but I also want her to believe that if she runs out in front of cars then she can be killed or injured. I AM trying to impart beliefs, I suppose, or perhaps an awareness of her environment and what can happen. Anyways, I was thinking about going somewhere with this in a subsequent post, but now I think I like the way this discussion is finishing up.

5) My point about all that red flower stuff was that, in contrast to the fact that cars and snakes can be dangerous, my daughter did NOT have to be taught that a flower is or is not red, she only had to be taught the correct way to express her experience of that fact.

6) This doesn't have anything to do with the religion/science divide, but I want to say something about "adaptivity" and "truth" even as those concepts might apply to mathematics. I'm not talking about evolution or adaptivity in the very narrow biological sense you defined above, but in a broader sense for sure.

As far as mathematicians are concerned, truth in mathematics has basically been beyond discussion. Oh sure, there's been a few minor points. Should proof be constructive? Can we use the axiom of choice? But basically, when something is verfied, that's it. Game, match, set. The fat lady sings. This might give the impression that math just sort of lumbers along, building on itself, adding one truth to another. How could evolution or adaptivity play a role in this? Something so final and absolute?

But it's not that way it is at all. New theories and ideas spring up all the time. Sometimes they die away quickly and disappear from existence. But other times they blossom into rich and fruitful areas that seem to reach out and touch the whole of mathematics. This has nothing to do with whether the ideas produce "truth" per se. Dead mathematics was just as true as living mathematics. There doesn't seem to be any one criteria that makes some mathematical concepts and areas of research more adaptable than others. In some cases "the fashionable", or other cultural factors seem to play a role. Though I doubt fashion by itself would result in any long term adaptivity. Historically, practical application has played, what might seem, at first sight, a surprisingly small role. On the other hand, mathematics has always been fairly intimate with theoretical physics. At any rate, I find it quite interesting that mathematics undergoes a process of evolution and that its structure, as something practiced today, has been shaped by strange forces, which at times seem difficult to understand.

If you want, I could give you examples, and I think I will mention one. In some ways, I suppose, axiomatic Euclidean geometry makes the strongest claim to be the origin of the kind of mathematics we practice today. And yet, except perhaps in high school geometry classes, axiomatic Euclidean geometry is a dead area. This is not because there are not new things to prove there. One could sit around and prove pretty little theorems about lines intersecting in circles inside triangles, to the heart's content. And some people actually do this, as a sort of hobby, or a sideline to real research. The point is that axiomatic Euclidean geometry has been totally replaced by three of the most important developments in modern mathematcs:

i) Riemannian geometry, which developed the geometrical basis for Einstein's relativity theory half century before he needed to use it;

ii) Topology, one of the richest ideas developed by modern mathematics and the basis for string theory

iii) Algebraic geometry, the geometrical basis for the recent proof of Fermat's last theorem

And so it goes, that a form of evolution and adaptivity does seem to shape and mold our "truth".

fracture

Nov 3, 2006, 1:46 AM
Post #146 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I think God is implausible on philosophical, not mathematical grounds. Though I'm curious what exactly you're thinking of when you say "mathematical fact".

Maybe "mathematical fact" was over-reaching, but what I was thinking is that there are an infinite number of possible creators of the universe we could hypothesize {Baal, Thor, Flying Spaghetti Monster, superior race from another Universe, the Abrahamic God, ...}. None of these add any explanatory power to a model of the Universe without any of them, and among this set of hypothesized creators, we have no rational reason to think one any more likely than another. Therefore, the simplest assumption would be to assign them all the same probability. And since there are an infinite number of them, the probability of any one of them approaches 1/inf, which is basically 0.

I basically agree, but for some reason I can't quite put my finger on it makes me a little uneasy to bring probability into the argument (though it doesn't surprise me that you would do so :P). The part that's convincing to me is that adding any of those supernatural Gods to the universe doesn't add explanitory power (as you mention). (Although, prior to 1859, it arguably did add explanitory power---I believe there's a Dawkins quote (too lazy to dig it up) to the effect of saying that he couldn't imagine being an atheist before Darwin.)

Back on the Sam Harris thing, by the way: I found this interview, entirely about his beliefs relating to mysticism and meditation. It sounds a lot more reasonable in this version than the other article I linked (in some ways similar to some things I'd expect from Owen Flanagan), and very different from largo's stuff. Interestingly, although he claims to be in favor of first-person scientific investigation, the method he actually alludes to appears to in fact be Dennett's heterophenomenology, where the subject is not treated as infallible about what they are conscious of. (E.g., the relevant question isn't "why does meditation give you a clear understanding of your consciousness", but "why does meditation make it seem to you like you have a clear understanding of your consciousness", or whatever).

Anyway I'm all for scientific investigation of meditation---but, I'd maintain that that sort of investigation is in principle capable of doing far more for a scientific understanding consciousness than meditation itself is. (Which that interview doesn't do anything to reduce my skepticism about in general, by the way.)

Other interesting things that I disagree with: he apparently thinks that the book isn't closed on the question of mind/body dualism, and something about how we don't know enough to say what happens to your consciousness when you die. He also seems to buy into what Dennett calls the "Zombic Hunch" (that philosophical zombies are a coherent concept).

fracture

Nov 3, 2006, 2:37 AM
Post #147 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
2) There certainly are intrinsic values of science to most scientists: they find the activity stimulating, interesting rewarding, etc. Perhaps they see beauty in the way they look at nature, or they enjoy the precision and power they feel in their activity. It's clear science has produced many things of practical value for nonscientists. I'm in no way anti-science. But I do think the practical value of science to nonscientists, for what ever reasons, is perhaps somewhat smaller than many pro-science people commonly think .

It does depend on what "practical value" means, though. In terms of the adaptive, reproductive success thing, I'd say you're almost certainly right. (On balance science may even be bad from that perspective, because of inventions like modern birth control.) In terms of a lot of other things, too, in fact. Many people would probably be just as happy (or happier) living technologically simple lives, subsistence farming, or whatever.

So I guess I probably agree with you.

I'd also mention, though, that I don't think I really care too much about the practical value of science, or really anything else for that matter. I spend many hours each week goofing off on limestone---what's the practical value in that? :)

In reply to:
5) My point about all that red flower stuff was that, in contrast to the fact that cars and snakes can be dangerous, my daughter did NOT have to be taught that a flower is or is not red, she only had to be taught the correct way to express her experience of that fact.

I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean with the color thing. If you are saying that we come equipped (by millions of years of evolution) with a lot of hard-wired tools and knowledge about our environment (or more accurately, about the environment(s) in which we evolved), then I agree. Every human language has words for colors, and barring abnormalities, every human can see in color. So yeah, every human looking at a flower presumably sees it as being a particular color (even if some of them have words to distinguish between shades that others don't).

It seems like maybe you're arguing that when it comes to a flower being red, the actual reality of the flower, or at least an approximation thereof, is indicated by the fact that we evolved to perceive it as being red? I totally agree with that, and yeah, in a special sense, that's a relationship between adaptivity and truth.

But at the same time, that relationship isn't definitive or infallible. Perceiving a particular flower as a bright color (and, say, associating that with learned knowledge about whether it is ok to eat the plant) isn't so much about what is true or real as what is close-enough-to-being-true for survival and reproduction. With the tools of modern science we can actually tell that "color" isn't really a property of things in the world, independent of their observers. What we think of as a red flower probably looks very different to the (tetrachromatic) color vision system of a pigeon than it does to us. The flower appears red to us because it has certain properties of reflecting various wavelengths of light, etc. Another way of putting it: it isn't really meaningful to talk about colors prior to the evolution of color-vision systems---colors didn't really exist in the universe before that.

(Sorry if none of this is related to what you were getting at. And by the way, I think there's actually supposed to be some evidence that fear of snakes doesn't need to be learned for many species of primate (including humans).)

Interesting comments about mathematics. I think I pretty much agree with it all---and by the way, I don't really like the Platonic interpretation of mathematical truth, where a sentence like "2 + 2 = 4" is some sort of reference to a timeless property of the universe. I'd say that "2 + 2 = 4" is more like an invention than a discovery.

thegreytradster

Nov 3, 2006, 3:26 AM
Post #148 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."

"
In reply to:
I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."

In reply to:
"God is subtle but he is not malicious."

In reply to:
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."

In reply to:
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

In reply to:
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
(Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

In reply to:
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."

blondgecko

Nov 3, 2006, 4:09 AM
Post #149 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."

"
In reply to:
I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."

In reply to:
"God is subtle but he is not malicious."

In reply to:
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."

In reply to:
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

In reply to:
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
(Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

In reply to:
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."

You forgot a few:

In reply to:
I am a deeply religious nonbeliever. This is a somewhat new kind of religion.

In reply to:
I have never imputed to Nature a purpose or a goal, or anything that could be understood as anthropomorphic. What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility. This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism.

In reply to:
The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naive.

In reply to:
I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.

In reply to:
A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

In reply to:
The mystical trend of our time, which shows itself particularly in the rampant growth of the so-called Theosophy and Spiritualism, is for me no more than a symptom of weakness and confusion. Since our inner experiences consist of reproductions, and combinations of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body seem to me to be empty and devoid of meaning.

In reply to:
It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

Quite a poet, was Albert.

yanqui

Nov 3, 2006, 4:33 PM
Post #150 of 179 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I didn't refer to Zeno's paradox by name because I try to avoid jargon in these posts--not always successful either. Zeno's, in this case, is actually the Tortoise and Achilles. You'd think that adding up an infinite number of positive distances should give an infinite distance for the sum. But it doesn't – in this case it gives a finite sum--all these distances add up to 1.
You'll never sum this problem by saying, "Suppose I could cover all these infinite number of small distances, how far should I have walked?" You can't "cover" an "infinite number of small distances" because by definition, there's always more. My math is not spectacular but I wonder how Pure Numbers guys handle infinity.

I meant on answering this for some time, but I haven't had a chance till now.

First off, I want to emphasize that I don't know too much about this "real world" stuff. Anyways, I wouldn't want to crowd in on it, since Dawkins has proclaimed that "science is the only way we know to understand the real world". I'm just a math guy. Maybe when we nonscientists talk about our experience, we can refer to the "ordinary world" or perhaps "the world of our experience" and so leave all this "real world" stuff to the scientists. I don't know, for example, if space in "the real world" is "really" infinitely divisble. In the ordinary world though, I do see that scientists have found it indispensible to their theories to use geometries (in some cases developed independently by mathematicians long before the scientific need) where space, indeed, is infinitely divisible.

I think I see in your last post that maybe you understand Zeno's paradox isn't really much of a paradox at all, as far as mathematicians are concerned. Our solution to the paradox may seem fanciful, even whimsical at first, but it led to one of the more powerful ideas in classical mathematics. Mathematicians have no problem summing up an infinite number of values and getting a finite result. In fact, the theory behind this leads to precise approximations for numbers like pi and the values of the classical functions, e.g trig functions (sine, cosine, tangent, etc.), logarithm, exponential, gamma function, etc.

I have to admit, sometimes it seems amazing to me that human beings can think clearly about something like infinity. But it's true, we can. It's making me smile right now.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook