Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Seneca camping
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Partner bdplayer

Nov 6, 2006, 4:40 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Seneca camping  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: Seneca_Rocks_Region: The_Panhandle: Seneca_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm finally making the pilgrimage to Seneca, but since I'm doing it on a shoestring, I'm looking for some wilderness camping. Is there any good camping close to the climbing, or am I going to have to "commute?"

Any recommendation for camping up there?

vector

Nov 6, 2006, 5:21 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Re: Seneca camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know where the closest primitive camping is, although I am sure there must be some, but keep in mind that camping there is $5 person at Princess Snowbird (or pay per site at Seneca Shadows--cheaper for a group). That is pretty cheap compared to pay camping is some places. But I can understand if you need to go the free route. Seneca is part of a national forest, so there should be something around there (although there is tons of private land around the crag too).

Good luck!

charley

Nov 6, 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would cost more than the $5 to drive to the wilderness areas. There is a park and ride lot directly across the road from snowbird. I have slept in my van there. If you got up early you could prolly through a tent up in the little strip of woods there. Do your cooking in the picnic area. I have also known ppl to go up the trail to the level spot by the hemlocks and bivy there.
If you take the road towards Franklin, up at the top there is a parking area for 3/4 cars, on the left if heading to franklin. There is a trail that starts there and you can be in the nat. forest woods in five minutes. There are some wilderness pull off camp spots up by spruce knob, too.

tradmanclimbs

Nov 7, 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you sleep in that pulloff right in front of princess snowbird be prepared to share your spot with a tractor trailer.

charley

Nov 7, 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not in front of but the six or eight car lot on the other side of the road.
There are tractor trailers running through there all the time. :lol:

roninthorne

Nov 16, 2006, 6:12 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bdplayer] Seneca camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Camp in Snowbird... the money stays local and you're directly in front of the crag. You could also hike up the touron trail and camp on the shoulder of the N summit, but I wouldn't recommend it... it's a long hike to save 5 bucks.

cruxy

Nov 16, 2006, 6:35 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Seneca camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want primitive camping you can camp at Dolly Sods. it is about a twenty to thirty minute commute, but a beautiful place to camp. It is easy to find, a lot of signs point the way.

watchmego

Nov 16, 2006, 6:44 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yokum's vacationland is directly across the road from seneca. tent camping is $5 per person per night. once on the rock we could see our tent. oh yea, and there is a heated pool inside the main building, just up the road from where we camped. there is a campground behind that building, but we went last weekend and shirley yokum told me that she had to shut off the water there because it started to freeze.

toilets, showers, food next door, gorgeous view (wake up looking at the rock), couldn't ask for anything better.

seneca shadows is closed for the season so no camping there until spring.

deschamps1000

Nov 16, 2006, 6:46 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is free camping about a 10 or 15 minute drive from Seneca, but it is hard to find. Take 33 west from Seneca for about 10 minutes or so. A bridge will go over the road on the left and head into the woods. There is free camping back there, usually used by hunters. Sorry these directions are bad but it is hard to describe! The gear shop should provide better info.

Partner bdplayer

Nov 28, 2006, 5:24 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deschamps1000] Seneca camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for your help. The trip went great, albeit a trifle nippy with a tad of wind. Sly

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook