RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

lubby

Nov 6, 2006, 8:27 PM
Post #1 of 4 (419 views)
Shortcut

new softshell - what to get
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looking for some opinons here. I am looking at getting a softshell, mainly for alpine climbing in the Cascades. Currently I would use a Marmot Dry-Clime windshirt with a OR Zealot Packlite shell if it gets too nasty. This works fine for decent days, but I dont find it ideal. The Marmot doesnt stand up to much precip, or cold blustry winds. Maybe it is still a good system, but I am wondering if a softshell will do me better.

In the top runnings are the Arcteryx Sigma AR or Sigma SV (same but with helmet-capable hood), and the Mammut Laser. I know there are a lot of other jackets but these fit me fairly well (I tried a bunch of others and didnt like the fit). Main diff. I see are:

1) Arcteryx gives nice long pit-zips... so I can vent a little or a lot. Given they use windstopper which doesnt breath that well this is probably good. Will the Laser (Scholler) breat enough that I wont need the zips?

2) Mammut hood wont work with Helmet... I see this as not a huge deal, but def. a factor - if I am roped up with a helmet for 5hrs of windy climbing, it might suck to not have a complete enclosure. I would have to use a regular hat under the helmet, which will give coldspots and such. Or I can get the Sigma AR with no hood and rely on a hat (or my OR windstopper Balaclava if its bad). The Sigma SV hat is pretty darn big, but it adjusts well enough that is is not anoying with no helmet.

3) Materials are different. Both seem to block wind well.. .having no experience with either I dont know which will work best.

I am looking for real-life experiences from people who have used softshells of similar materials/features for pros and cons.

Thanks!
Jeremy

sspssp

Nov 6, 2006, 8:46 PM
Post #2 of 4 (419 views)
Shortcut

Re: new softshell - what to get [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Theres been a lot of posts on this subject, if you haven't already searched....

That said, it comes down to tradeoffs. Despite the hype, as you get more waterproof, you get less breathable.

I definitely prefer going with more wind/waterproof and long pit zips for venting. This works great for me. A lot of people don't seem to like pit zips.

I went with Beyond Fleece and got their heavier soft shell with pit zips. Beyond Fleece isn't going to cost any more than Arcteryx and you can customize the fit and the options (with/without hood, with/without pit zips, pockets etc).

Good luck.

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 6, 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #3 of 4 (419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a mammut laser so I'll throw in these thoughts on it:

While being fairly breathable I almost always wish it had pit zips if I'm doing anything strenuous.
    Don't depend on it for much warmth at all, depend on having an insulation layer in all but the mildest weather.
    It isn't highly wind resistant.
    It is very effective at shedding water as I've never had it wet out.
    It is super comfortable and the integrated thumb loops rock.
    The level of design work is excellent, after 2 years of thrashing it, it still looks new.
    The hood is well made for everything except helmet use and is very fine tunable for desired field of vision.

While I like my laser a lot, I think there are better options on the market for my needs. It however may fit yours better than mine.

Partner brent_e

Nov 6, 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #4 of 4 (419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://beyondfleece.com/

try these out. Custom fit, custom components, great company and correspondence with the customer.

They are priced well, too.

i don't know why more people don't get these!

EDIT to add that windstopper is supposedly waterproof as well as windproof (i read this in a magazine - gripped or rock and ice).

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook