Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sick_climba

Sep 23, 2006, 7:18 PM
Post #26 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Re: Who invented Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Its just a question I keep wondering about...
:idea:
God

ter_bee

Sep 23, 2006, 9:08 PM
Post #27 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
God

hahahahaha. father or son?

whatever happened to that 'what would jesus climb?' thread?

sick_climba

Sep 23, 2006, 9:30 PM
Post #28 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
God

hahahahaha. father or son?

whatever happened to that 'what would jesus climb?' thread?
Well it was either jesus or a dirty hobo... but its hard to tell the differnce with out a halo... which reminds me of a funny storie,
I used to have long semi curly blond hair it was down to mid back. I also have a full beard and i am a " hippie" so i walk around in hemp cloths and such right. Well one day i was walking around decked out " hippie" and 3 guys came up to me and they were like " DUDE you are the reancarnation of jesus christ"
I replied, "No your stoned."
They said "Well a lil but still"... lol crazy hippies

nkane

Sep 23, 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #29 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In 330 BC, Alexander the Great and early aid climbing:

ALL the men who had gained practice in scaling rocks in sieges, banded themselves together to the number of three hundred, and provided themselves with the small iron pegs with which their tents had been fastened to the ground, with the intention of fixing them into the snow, wherever it might be seen to be frozen hard, or into the ground, if it should anywhere exhibit itself free from snow. Tying strong ropes made of flax to these pegs, they advanced in the night towards the most precipitous part of the rock, which was on this account most unguarded; and fixing some of these pegs into the earth, where it made itself visible, and others into the snow where it seemed least likely to crumble, they hoisted themselves up the rock, some in one place and some in another. Thirty of them perished in the ascent; and as they fell into various parts of the snow, not even could their bodies be found for burial. The rest, however, reached the top of the mountain at the approach of dawn; and taking I)ossession of it, they waved linen flags towards the camp of the Macedonians, as Alexander had directed them to do. He now sent a herald with instructions to shout to the sentries of the barbarians to make no further delay, but surrender at once since “the winged men” had been found, and the summits of the mountain were in their possession. At the same time the herald pointed at the soldiers upon the crest of the mountain. The barbarians, being alarmed by the unexpectedness of the sight, and suspecting that the men who were occupying the peaks were more numerous than they really were, and that they were completely armed, surrendered, so frightened did they become at the sight of those few Macedonians. --Arrian

climbingtrash

Sep 23, 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #30 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Mont Aiguille, SOuth of Grenoble in France, has been first climbed on June 1492 by Sir Antoine de Ville with ropes and climbing material. Here are some pictures found on the web. The Mont Aiguille, elev. 2087m has around 40 routes of all difficulties.

http://www.matze.spider-net.de/Fotos/aignord2.jpg

http://cliophoto.clionautes.org/...es/mont-aiguille.jpg
The original route starts left of the crack I believe.

http://images.google.fr/...nne-drome-724869.jpg
:shock: WHOA!!! A little LARGER pic next time, EH. :lol:

duncan_s

Nov 4, 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #31 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Britain it is generally accepted that the birth of modern rock climbing started on the Napes Needle by a chap called Haskett-Smith in 1886. Mounteenering had become popular for a few centries before, but it is the first recorded route that was done because of the line, rather then for the the aim of getting to the summit.

http://www.needlesports.com/why/why.htm

duncan_s

Nov 4, 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #32 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Britain it is generally accepted that the birth of modern rock climbing started on the Napes Needle by a chap called Haskett-Smith in 1886. Mounteenering had become popular for a few centries before, but it is the first recorded route that was done because of the line, rather then for the the aim of getting to the summit.

http://www.needlesports.com/why/why.htm

jgill

Nov 8, 2006, 2:57 AM
Post #33 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mounteenering had become popular for a few centries before, but . . .

Mountaineering became popular in the Alps during the 19th century and was accepted as a sporting activity by the 1850s. Haskett Smith is frequently cited as the father of (British) rock climbing, but the activity was not without precedent at the time; however, photos of the Napes Needle displayed in shop windows, etc. inspired many others in England to take up the sport. 8^)

c4c

Nov 8, 2006, 3:12 AM
Post #34 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1 Samuel 14:1-15 (New Living Translation)
New Living Translation (NLT)
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers.

1 Samuel 14
Jonathan’s Daring Plan
1 One day Jonathan said to his armor bearer, “Come on, let’s go over to where the Philistines have their outpost.” But Jonathan did not tell his father what he was doing.
2 Meanwhile, Saul and his 600 men were camped on the outskirts of Gibeah, around the pomegranate tree at Migron. 3 Among Saul’s men was Ahijah the priest, who was wearing the ephod, the priestly vest. Ahijah was the son of Ichabod’s brother Ahitub, son of Phinehas, son of Eli, the priest of the Lord who had served at Shiloh.

No one realized that Jonathan had left the Israelite camp. 4 To reach the Philistine outpost, Jonathan had to go down between two rocky cliffs that were called Bozez and Seneh. 5 The cliff on the north was in front of Micmash, and the one on the south was in front of Geba. 6 “Let’s go across to the outpost of those pagans,” Jonathan said to his armor bearer. “Perhaps the Lord will help us, for nothing can hinder the Lord. He can win a battle whether he has many warriors or only a few!”

7 “Do what you think is best,” the armor bearer replied. “I’m with you completely, whatever you decide.”

8 “All right then,” Jonathan told him. “We will cross over and let them see us. 9 If they say to us, ‘Stay where you are or we’ll kill you,’ then we will stop and not go up to them. 10 But if they say, ‘Come on up and fight,’ then we will go up. That will be the Lord’s sign that he will help us defeat them.”

11 When the Philistines saw them coming, they shouted, “Look! The Hebrews are crawling out of their holes!” 12 Then the men from the outpost shouted to Jonathan, “Come on up here, and we’ll teach you a lesson!”

“Come on, climb right behind me,” Jonathan said to his armor bearer, “for the Lord will help us defeat them!”

13 So they climbed up using both hands and feet, and the Philistines fell before Jonathan, and his armor bearer killed those who came behind them. 14 They killed some twenty men in all, and their bodies were scattered over about half an acre.

15 Suddenly, panic broke out in the Philistine army, both in the camp and in the field, including even the outposts and raiding parties. And just then an earthquake struck, and everyone was terrified.

Pretty Bold! sometime around 1000 B.C.!

noshoesnoshirt

Nov 8, 2006, 3:18 AM
Post #35 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

me me me me me me me me me

sick_climba

Nov 10, 2006, 8:23 AM
Post #36 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are all wrong... we have two options. God or dirtty hippies, and seeing as how Jesus walked around in sandels with long hair a burly beard drinking wine and preaching about love and peace either way you go its those damn dirty hippies

healyje

Nov 10, 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #37 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I remember reading a Verm story about a baboon that climbed its way into a pickle, had to do a desperate dyno to get out and proceeded to furiously masterbate upon reaching firm ground again.

Maybe your answer is in there somewhere.

DMT

"It's summertime and the living is easy..."

Fuck - Dingus, you bastard - now my palm is gonna itch every time I think I'm getting away with something stupid...

zeke_sf

Nov 10, 2006, 1:18 PM
Post #38 of 44 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe it was Og. Or maybe Thag. One of those two.

ricknie

Nov 23, 2006, 5:23 AM
Post #39 of 44 (5948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgill] Who invented Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Moses?

quiteatingmysteak

Nov 25, 2006, 5:26 PM
Post #40 of 44 (5931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgill] Who invented Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the hand of fatima in mali has remnants of pottery and bamboo tools, as noted by a team that did a first ascent in the older "Africa" climbing mag.

climberslacker

Dec 19, 2006, 1:14 AM
Post #41 of 44 (5873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chipmunk] Who invented Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "chipmunk"][quote] Some say that monkeys can't even climb rock, only trees. I'm pretty sure cavemen needed to climb rock for reasons such as hunting or escaping from wild beasts. Anyways, just something to think about.[/quote][/quote]

If you need any proof of monkeys climbing rock just watch the DWS part of Dosage 3. The monkey are pretty much scaring the guys off the rock.

Partner blazesod

Dec 19, 2006, 3:12 AM
Post #42 of 44 (5857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If memory serves:

There is an ancient civilization near (in?) China who buried their dead in extremely heavy coffins (like solid stone) hundreds of feet up a shear vertical cliff. Archaeologists attempted to study the coffins using modern day climbing techniques and equipment but had to abandon the attempt for safety reasons.

These are possibly the oldest port-a-ledges in existence. I wonder what type of rigging they used to jug up a 1500 Kg coffin 4000 years ago.

Cheers,
Dave :)

miademus

Jan 15, 2007, 8:23 PM
Post #43 of 44 (5771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....wel atleast i am sure about that ninjas climbed, in fact they climbed up huge walls to assasinate commanders in old japanese times/ infact this was more like buildering

jgill

Jan 17, 2007, 2:49 AM
Post #44 of 44 (5752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Greater clarity is achieved if one distinguishes the act of rock climbing from the sport of rock climbing that we enjoy today. There is of course no reasonable answer to the original question, but the history of the sport extends to the present day in an unbroken arc from the last quarter of the 19th century in at least three major regions: England, Elbsandsteingebirge, and the Dolomites. Silly replies notwithstanding Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook