Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

squamishdirtbag

Nov 8, 2006, 4:00 AM
Post #1 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Disturbing climbing/walking video
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Watch this movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shVdIhOC7ok&mode=related&search=

I am planning on spending at summer at yosemite should i expect too see that everywhere?

blouderk2

Nov 8, 2006, 4:08 AM
Post #2 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Re: Disturbing climbing/walking video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yosemite is a very crowded place. I mean it is one of the most beautiful places in the world, so of course everyone else wants to share the experience. You can get away from the people though, you just have to pick and choose your climbing spots.

leezerdgirl

Nov 8, 2006, 4:30 AM
Post #3 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's disturbing about that? That's the top of the hiking trail up Half Dome. The cables are there to help folks up the last, steepest slabby bit. No, you won't see that everywhere, although some of the popular climbing routes often have multiple parties on them and maybe one or two stacked up at the bottom.

Haven't ever been there this late in the season though, not sure what the traffic is like. Did a hit and run on Royal Arches last month though. Drove through the night, took a quick catnap in the parking lot (until we were moved on by the hyper-vigilant rangers) and started out at 6 AM. We were the first party there, clean shot to the top. :)

leezerdgirl

Nov 8, 2006, 4:37 AM
Post #4 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, just re-read the OP. Summer in Yosemite Valley is hot hot HOT. Climbs in the shade and up in Tuolumne Meadows where it is cooler WILL be crowded, esp. on weekends when the locals come day tripping.

If you can take the heat and sun, the route selection in the valley improves. If not, get an early start for multi-pitch. You can also often find clear routes on peaks and domes in the PM in Tuolumne but I don't recommend it. Tuolumne has frequent afternoon lightning storms which can come out of the clear blue sky and set your hair on end.

I'm speaking of regular trad. Don't know nothin' bout those big wall / aid bad boys.

squamishdirtbag

Nov 8, 2006, 4:40 AM
Post #5 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im aware that yosemite can be crowded. Crowds are not disturbing, but ugly structures on quality granite is (seriously whens the escalator gonna be ready). Im disturbed that your undisturbed.

leezerdgirl

Nov 8, 2006, 4:50 AM
Post #6 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The cables are there to keep gumby pedestrians from killing themselves because they misjudge the slab and / or their own abilities. If you think the cables are unsightly, consider the alternative of bloodstains all over Half Dome, a sky filled with the noise of YOSAR (Yosemite Search and Rescue) helicopters. You wouldn't believe the amount of effort that goes into rescuing scared, stranded, and sometimes injured tourists from even the bottom of the smaller slabby domes.

Anyway, the cables are removeable and I don't believe they are there year-round.

squamishdirtbag

Nov 8, 2006, 5:06 AM
Post #7 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A pedestrian shouldn't 'climb' mountains, thats for us.

Partner coldclimb

Nov 8, 2006, 5:46 AM
Post #8 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Im aware that yosemite can be crowded. Crowds are not disturbing, but ugly structures on quality granite is (seriously whens the escalator gonna be ready). Im disturbed that your undisturbed.

I'll admit I had trouble with my own elitism myself when visiting the valley this summer. The paved hiking trails, the roads PACKED with thousands upon thousands of tourons, the heavily implied anti-climber attitude of the rangers, the apathy of the well-fed wildlife, the tourons who FEED the wildlife, the kids and their music, the expensive and required pay campgrounds, the middle-aged wives yelling at us about parking spaces, the hordes of climbers on the popular routes, and yes, the fifty-some people who were on top of half dome when we summited.

But MAN, if you can somehow get past that elitism, Yosemite has some AWESOME climbing! It is tough though, if you're looking for a wilderness experience. Just go expecting good climbing in an almost urban setting and you'll be fine. :) The rock is incredible.

shimanilami

Nov 8, 2006, 6:22 AM
Post #9 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's like that on every single climb, dude. One time, I freed the Nose and had to pull like 50 people off of the cables at the Changing Corners pitch, just to finish the route before lunch. I felt a little bad, but those posers were like ... total posers.

My recommendation is to take a quick walk out to the Incredible Hulk. You may run into some crowds, but there are lots of different ladders to climb on that wall.

davidji

Nov 8, 2006, 7:21 AM
Post #10 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's like that on every single climb, dude. One time, I freed the Nose and had to pull like 50 people off of the cables at the Changing Corners pitch, just to finish the route before lunch. I felt a little bad, but those posers were like ... total posers.
One trophy just isn't enough.

davidji

Nov 8, 2006, 7:40 AM
Post #11 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Watch this movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shVdIhOC7ok&mode=related&search=

I am planning on spending at summer at yosemite should i expect too see that everywhere?
One via ferrata section inside Yosemite bothers you? Don't y'all have them up there too (1 in Whistler anyway)?

Climbers use that as the descent from Half Dome, and you don't need to worry about the crowds. When there's slow traffic between the cables (often slow because of scared hikers), climbers travel on the outside.

The cable route has been there since 1919, and predates much of an interest in technical rock climbing. It's given countless hikers an opportunity to summit Half Dome. It's still not easy for 'em. They hike 25km or so roundtrip, and gain over 1.4km elevation.

So it's a lot different then for example a Gondola in Squamish--not that I'm taking sides on that.

leezerdgirl

Nov 8, 2006, 7:15 PM
Post #12 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trophy, davidji.

bustloose

Nov 8, 2006, 7:22 PM
Post #13 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

you, are a first rate fucking idiot. i hate eliteist climbers. go play in the shallow end where you belong.

zeke_sf

Nov 8, 2006, 8:42 PM
Post #14 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Im disturbed that your undisturbed.

what are you, the world's bleeding heart? do you break into kitchen decor stores and free all the granite countertops into the wilds?

you could climb for a lifetime in yosemite without needing to see that structure if you wanted. come down and chop it, sanctimonious wad.

leezerdgirl

Nov 8, 2006, 8:54 PM
Post #15 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look, no need to pummel the guy to pulp for having an opinion. I don't think there should be cables like that all over the national park peaks either.

*shrug* Like so many things in climbing, it's a fuzzy line. In this case I happen to agree with it because so many people would get hurt or die attempting the summit if the cables weren't there. The domes are famous for suckering people in who think they can go up, or just go up a little way, but then can't continue safely and can't back off either. The slabs look so innocent, but can be so cruel.

fitzontherocks

Nov 8, 2006, 9:02 PM
Post #16 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You want disturbing? Try this Yos video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EO8-VAiB_E&mode=related&search=

al_piner

Nov 8, 2006, 9:02 PM
Post #17 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Maybe you got somethin' against aid climbers also ????

I would bet my balls that you've taken an elevator ride or two in your life... eh " climber boy "

... or taken a car when you could have walked

... or are you a manly man who swims and flaps his freakin' arms because boats and planes are for sissy tourists !

fitzontherocks

Nov 8, 2006, 9:03 PM
Post #18 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bonin_in_the_boneyard

Nov 8, 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #19 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...do you break into kitchen decor stores and free all the granite countertops into the wilds?

That's the hardest I've laughed all week :lol:

curtis_g

Nov 8, 2006, 11:48 PM
Post #20 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

thats only disturbing because they took a considerable amount of footage at Yosemite, 100% of which was in camp.

squamishdirtbag

Nov 9, 2006, 1:39 AM
Post #21 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Maybe you got somethin' against aid climbers also ????

I would bet my balls that you've taken an elevator ride or two in your life... eh " climber boy "

... or taken a car when you could have walked

... or are you a manly man who swims and flaps his freakin' arms because boats and planes are for sissy tourists !

What makes you think I got beef with aid climbing?? And
mass transportation, and artificiality in the mountains are way different things.
(ok the frickin cables are detachable thats a bit better)

tanner

Nov 9, 2006, 2:35 AM
Post #22 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its good that they make some of the high places on earth accessible to normal people. Even if it means bolting a ladder or two into the rock.

The fact is, if more people get a chance to experience places like half dome, more perceived "value" is given. If a place is valued it gets protected and appreciated. This has a trickle down effect into smaller crags and wild places, as people return home from there experience in Yosemite they gain a greater appreciation for the rocks and hills in there own back yard. In our society anything without "value" is paved, cut down, killed, built upon turned into counter tops etc. to make it valuable$$$

Further more, all those over dressed "posers" in fancy gear are the bread and butter of most outdoor stores and equipment manufactures. So if you like your sponsorships, pro-deals, R&D and discount racks go hug your local poser because they Have $$ and they pay full price!!!

(That and you can buy their lightly used last years color gear at you local gear swap really Cheep)

IF you didn't read this: All you need to know is bolting ladders to clean granite slabs is a good thing and posers are the most valuable of all people.

tanner

Nov 9, 2006, 2:38 AM
Post #23 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its good that they make some of the high places on earth accessible to normal people. Even if it means bolting a ladder or two into the rock.

The fact is, if more people get a chance to experience places like half dome, more perceived "value" is given. If a place is valued it gets protected and appreciated. This has a trickle down effect into smaller crags and wild places, as people return home from there experience in Yosemite they gain a greater appreciation for the rocks and hills in there own back yard. In our society anything without "value" is paved, cut down, killed, built upon turned into counter tops etc. to make it valuable$$$

Further more, all those over dressed "posers" in fancy gear are the bread and butter of most outdoor stores and equipment manufactures. So if you like your sponsorships, pro-deals, R&D and discount racks go hug your local poser because they Have $$ and they pay full price!!!

(That and you can buy their lightly used last years color gear at you local gear swap really Cheep)

IF you didn't read this: All you need to know is bolting ladders to clean granite slabs is a good thing and posers are the most valuable of all people.

tanner

Nov 9, 2006, 2:43 AM
Post #24 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tanner

Nov 9, 2006, 2:44 AM
Post #25 of 31 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook