Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

redlegrangerone

Nov 13, 2006, 9:22 PM
Post #26 of 35 (547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Why don't people use route data base? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I already do this at MountainProject.com. The database is much larger there. The one here is just too small to be of much use.

cjsimpso

Nov 13, 2006, 9:56 PM
Post #27 of 35 (540 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlegrangerone] Why don't people use route data base? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As someone who does most of my climbing in New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, I actually don't find MountainProject to be particularly helpful. At least the RDB here has entries for those states, even if they are woefully inadequate. Anyway, I'm going to forge ahead and enter what I can, and continue to suggest that everyone else do the same. Let's get this thing going

feanor007

Nov 13, 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #28 of 35 (529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnr9q] Why don't people use route data base? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seriously, if you want to see THE STANDARD for an online guidebook, check http://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuideV2/, far better than mountian project in my opinion.

redlegrangerone

Nov 13, 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #29 of 35 (527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [feanor007] Why don't people use route data base? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, that is a nice site, but it is easier to do with only one climbing area.

dingus

Nov 13, 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #30 of 35 (511 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by dingus [In reply to]
Report this Post

flamer

Nov 14, 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #31 of 35 (494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Why don't people use route data base? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is your best bet for lines you want alot of info about.....cross reference!!!

Mountainproject.com, RC.com, summitpost...any area specfic sites. Then look at the guide book(s)....

On RC.com look at the people who have climbed it...click on their ascent and see what they had to say...look at the other routes they've done and cross that info in as well......

The best thing to do??? STEP INTO THE UNKNOWN!!!!
You want adventure...go find it.

josh

boltdude

Nov 14, 2006, 7:47 AM
Post #32 of 35 (470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamer] Why don't people use route data base? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with dingus.

I sometimes put new route info in here, but often it's kind of pointless since you'd have to basically write a guidebook to document an entirely new area. I give the info to the "local tribe" members (or not, sometimes things just stay secret...).

On the other hand, new routes that are next to routes documented in current guidebooks are easy to add (since you just say "50 feet right of ___"), and useful for anyone with the current guide. Those are the sort of routes that I've put in here. Not sure if anyone ever looks for or finds that sort of thing. It would be helpful to have some sort of highlighting of routes that are not in the guidebook - I used a "~" before such routes in Owens that I entered a few years back - but a true highlighting would be better (including a highlighting of the wall subsection to show that new routes are contained within).

saxfiend

Nov 14, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #33 of 35 (447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlegrangerone] Why don't people use route data base? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I already do this at MountainProject.com. The database is much larger there. The one here is just too small to be of much use.
That's all well and good if you live out west or in New York. But the MountainProject routes database has no content whatsoever for the south, where I do almost all my climbing.

JL

sangiro

Nov 14, 2006, 6:01 PM
Post #34 of 35 (440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boltdude] Why don't people use route data base? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A little technical note here. We tried to make it as easy as possible to enter data where there are holes in the routes database. Looking at a route, area or section, if a data element is completely empty you'll se a little "Update" link next to the label. Click on that and a field will open on your page (no reloading) where you can update this info. If there's already data in there, you can still update/edit the route by clicking on the "Edit Route" button. That just ensures we retain the old data for comparison.

In the past 24 hrs we've seen more than 300 field update entires done, so a HUGE thank you to the people who are out there helping us improve this. Smile

petsfed

Nov 14, 2006, 6:32 PM
Post #35 of 35 (431 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnr9q] Why don't people use route data base? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think its partially because too many route descriptions are either ripped directly from a guidebook without first hand experience (something they really discourage over at MountainProject), or you get descriptions very similar to yours, which belong firmly in the ascent note category.

When I read a route description, I want to see number of pitches, approximate protection needed (if there's bolts, I want an accurate number, since I hate trying to count them from the ground), and how to find it. If you're feeling really sassy, or there's some route finding problems, a brief description of the climb would be useful. And I know, I can't really trust bolt numbers, as people chop them and add them, but I really don't want to bring a dozen draws for a 3 bolt route (as some granite slabs are wont to have) or find myself having to run out the last 40 feet because I didn't have enough.

Online databases are excellent for filling in the holes in the average printed guidebook. It allows continuous updating as new routes are put up. However, each addition needs to be of the same style and quality as any other guide book entry, otherwise, its useless.

In other words, I don't really care if its the most awesome route in the universe, if you don't tell me how to get to it and what is necessary to do the climb, you may as well not post it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook