RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

jumpingrock

Nov 14, 2006, 5:04 AM
Post #1 of 6 (541 views)
Shortcut

What I miss.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You know, most people here don't know me. Most don't care. But those who do, know how much this site has meant to me over the past 4 years. Unfortunately, the direction that the site has recently taken has forced me to reconsider.

I know that the owners (ddt, sangrio) think that the main problem is that this new site will just require some getting used to. But it's not that. It's not the features or the navigation that I miss. It's the identity. I came to this site because I could be with people that I relate with. We came to this site because it was made by people we could relate with. It had features that made being a community possible. A little ecosystem separated from the rest of the internet where we could be climbers, when we couldn't be climbers. It allowed us to argue, to debate, to laugh, to cry and occasionally to mourn our own and offer support and love.

And now I come here and what do I see? Do I see the identity that kept me coming back day after day, year after year? No. I see a lifeless, soulless site. Dedicated to nothing but the bottom line. And as long as I see the owners of this site doing nothing but insulting and ridiculing those members who have made rc.com the community it is for far longer than they even knew about it. I can do nothing but mourn this little part of the internet that I called home.

You may think me odd, but I think there are more than a few out there that think this way. Thus I believe it is time to take some time apart. I know that most of us have heard this tired rant before, and likely I will be back. But the soul of this site is gone and that's what I miss.

chossmonkey

Nov 14, 2006, 5:16 AM
Post #2 of 6 (535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] What I miss. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Exactly.

Nice post David.

blondgecko

Nov 14, 2006, 5:28 AM
Post #3 of 6 (522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] What I miss. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well said!

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 14, 2006, 7:16 AM
Post #4 of 6 (505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] What I miss. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Profound.

toejam

Nov 14, 2006, 8:29 AM
Post #5 of 6 (495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrradam] What I miss. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well said. My first visit to the new site, and I'm getting a similar feeling. The color scheme and logo is unattractive and feels sterile. Not as bad as the monkey, but definitely a step down. I wish someone would consider upgrading the old look, like Slashdot did with their recent switch. In particular I liked the old logo, it has a craggy feel to it, the new one is boring to say the least.

I'm not really up on the internal politics of the switch, but one thing that I always liked about RC.com was the moderation. Excellent as far as online forums go, knowledgeable about climbing, and pretty diligent about sticking it to people spreading nonsense. If part of the switch is losing this crew, then that is a bummer. As the original poster noted, some of the replies by the new owners are putting me off as well.

A lot of stuff like the route database don't seem to be working, but I suspect that is temporary as it is brought online. I did think that some of the features of the climbing log are nice, and perhaps there are more I haven't stumbled across yet.

A missing feature that is key for me, and without which I rarely visit a site is the RSS feed.

thomasribiere

Nov 14, 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #6 of 6 (486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [toejam] What I miss. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see why the soul would have gone away. For me, it went away around 1 yr ago.
So I think it's just in your head, and that there's just a time coincidence between your own feelings and the change of site.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook