Premier Sponsor:

g.g.32-82
Deleted

Feb 6, 2004, 6:40 PM
Post #1 of 20 (2691 views)
Shortcut

Suunto Vector
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm thinking of getting this watch. Anyone out there have it/use it/like it? I know it's not climbing gear per se but it could come in handy. Thanks.

scubasnyder

Feb 6, 2004, 6:42 PM
Post #2 of 20 (2691 views)
Shortcut

Re: Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that watch is cool my freind has one, i wouldnt wear it climbing though just in a pack or something.

mustclimb69

Feb 6, 2004, 7:06 PM
Post #3 of 20 (2691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All the sunto models have similar features it is a bot large...but still a great watch
I would get the X6 or the observer

g.g.32-82
Deleted

Feb 6, 2004, 7:10 PM
Post #4 of 20 (2691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the observer is better? why do you think so?

gat

Feb 6, 2004, 8:20 PM
Post #5 of 20 (2691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had one when they first came out. I loved that it stored cumulative gain/loss information as well as average spd of ascent/descent. One drawback was that it kept cutting out on me when temps dipped below freezing. It still tracked data, but I couldn't read the display. After this happened 3 or 4 times in a row I got mad and returned it. Admittedly, I over reacted and wish I would have kept it.

oceannas

Feb 6, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #6 of 20 (2691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a sunto and I like it...it's very useful and encouraging; I mean...when your tired and you think your getting to the summit soon and than you realize that it's just a false summit.....it's very frustrating...so now you look at your watch before and you know approximatly how long you still have to walk! lol Ok ok it's funny but I like it! Seriously, for the temperature prediction is VERY useful...the only big problem is to always have to fix the altitude and everything on your watch over an over...if you want an advise; don't wear it on you when your climbing... the set you put on your watch will stay longer cause your body temperature change the answers.

(sorry for my poor english...I speak french...!)

g.g.32-82
Deleted

Feb 8, 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #7 of 20 (2691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the info

jbarn02

Nov 13, 2006, 3:43 PM
Post #8 of 20 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [g.g.32-82] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BUMP

afreeclimber

Nov 13, 2006, 4:19 PM
Post #9 of 20 (2026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbarn02] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had mine for about four years now. The battery life is good, only had to replace it once. The face and body does scratch easily and the thing is uncomfortable to wear with gloves, so it usually gets clipped to a pack.
The altimeter is very accurate. I've never really relied on the compass function. The alarm is just barely adequate for waking me up and I'm a really light sleeper. Best to clip it near your head in the tent or risk not making your alpine start.

jimdavis

Nov 13, 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #10 of 20 (1983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [afreeclimber] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have one and like it. It gets a lot of flak about the alarm volume....the only time I haven't heard it was in pouring rain when it was on my wrist. I keep it in my little pocket at the top of my sleeping bag, and I always hear it now.

The main reason I got it was for the barometer. The altimeter needs to be calibrated all the time....whenever you drive somewhere new, or after a storm...it gets way off. If you have a map that give you your elevation, then the feature is usefull, without a refrence elevation though, it's of little use.

It has 3 daily alarms, which is nice; baramoter at a glance, and the digital compass is pretty accurate.

When I take it climbing with me, I wear it on my waist loop, with the face in against my body. It's very easy to scratch the face up, but Suunto does have pretty good service.

If your going to be climbing peaks, or climbing in areas with funky weather, it might be worth the money....otherwise, it's just more of a gadget.

Cheers,
Jim

zeroforhire

Nov 15, 2006, 3:35 AM
Post #11 of 20 (1939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [g.g.32-82] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is great... in fact i am selling mine to upgrade. It will need a new batter soon, but other than that it is in great shape. $100 anyone?

jbarn02

Dec 12, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #12 of 20 (1787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeroforhire] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys does anyone own the Yellow Vector? I have one and I love it. I got it mostly because I live in hurricane country and the barometer is good for noting when the weather gets worse but the skys do not show it.

thomasribiere

Dec 12, 2006, 6:33 PM
Post #13 of 20 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [afreeclimber] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

afreeclimber wrote:
I've had mine for about four years now. The battery life is good, only had to replace it once. The face and body does scratch easily and the thing is uncomfortable to wear with gloves, so it usually gets clipped to a pack.
The altimeter is very accurate. I've never really relied on the compass function. The alarm is just barely adequate for waking me up and I'm a really light sleeper. Best to clip it near your head in the tent or risk not making your alpine start.

All what you said. It's a solid but big watch. In France, you can have the battery replaced by Suunto and then Suunto extends the warranty. The blue light is maybe a bit weak.

dylan1

Dec 12, 2006, 7:02 PM
Post #14 of 20 (1761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have 2 Vectors (green and Yellow)> I also have a Observer and received a X9i for my birthday a couple days ago. I use the Vector climbing and hiking. Suunto sells clear plastic lens covers (about $10.00)that I use to keep the face from getting scratched up. I replace the covers about every year.

mythicyeti

Dec 19, 2006, 3:14 AM
Post #15 of 20 (1703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dylan1] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was for a short time a rep for Suunto. The product is solid. For alpine or backcountry usage I "wear" mine on my pack or off a clip on my jacket. That way the temp gauge is more acurate and as someone else mentioned it's more comfortable than on the wrist. Suunto makes a bunch of different watches and they allow retailers to mark them down about 20% so keep an eye out for the discount. mgear, altrec or backcountry often put them on sale.

secretninja

Dec 19, 2006, 3:54 AM
Post #16 of 20 (1695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mythicyeti] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an observer Ti and i love it...more or less bulletproff construction, great batt life, very accurate bari/altimeter too. As mentioned in one of the other posts, the average ascent/descent feature is quite handy as well. Ive never had problems with it in lower temps though.

mojede

Dec 19, 2006, 4:07 AM
Post #17 of 20 (1692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [secretninja] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had the yellow Vector for 4 years now and it still functions great. Hard usage (never on the wrist while climbing) has resulted in the black accent ring popping off and getting lost, losing a screw on the band (check them periodically), and it will collect condensation inside the face (probably too much hot springs time). A suggestion for keeping the face mint would be to use clear packaging tape and razor-knife off the excess. I do this with cell phones and it works well, wish I did it to the Vector after it came out of the box. A good purchase, fun toy, and helpful tool.

jbarn02

Jan 1, 2007, 5:25 AM
Post #18 of 20 (1619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojede] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, it is a very good investment. Anyone have any advice on how to read the barometer the ins manual was not a very big help. This is my first altimeter watch and I have been wanting to get it for a very long time. I have been hiking with a daypack for a while, but have only been climbing for about 2mts.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jan 1, 2007, 7:32 AM
Post #19 of 20 (1600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojede] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so what's the verdict vs the other suunto offerings? Is the observer's ability to do altitude / baromter locks & crystal display worth the $? Any usability differences between them?

I still can't believe that so many of the suunto line lack the basic countdown timer - ever so useful while waiting on food to rehydrate.

jbarn02

Jan 14, 2007, 2:10 AM
Post #20 of 20 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Suunto Vector [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BUMP

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook