Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner kimgraves

Nov 13, 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #1 of 36 (6561 views)
Shortcut

Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Gang,

I went looking for Pete's stuff to make sure it migrated. The posts are there but none of the links work. So unless you know what you're looking for, it's all effectively lost.

Without going into "Pete" let me just say that I feel that this is a serious loss for the aid forum. I don't know what can be done, but thought it important to mention.

Best, Kim

stymingersfink

Nov 13, 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #2 of 36 (6522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimgraves] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for a second there I thought you were speaking of the contentSly

mingleefu

Nov 14, 2006, 1:14 AM
Post #3 of 36 (6473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimgraves] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I mentioned this in my "list of grievances" post, thought to mention PTPP, but decided not to. Because the new hyperlink markup does not use the "=" sign, every previous post having a link in it is obsolete. How will I be able to surf through his 20-image TR's anymore??

rc.com doesn't have to be exactly what is used to be for it to be enjoyable. But it does need to be adherant to some of it's most basic former standards in order to not entirely lose the bulk of its content.

Unless, that is, the new site also meant absolution of sins and the redemption of souls formerly at odds with 'the management'. The cannuck would surely be more than happy to edit all of his posts back into modernity from the antediluvian period when he last posted... Can he appeal for probationary parole? It's been a long time, eh?

yetanotherdave

Nov 14, 2006, 1:36 AM
Post #4 of 36 (6461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mingleefu] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Should we start a poll/petition to get pete allowed back?

His posts on the aid forum were a great resource, and I'm sure he'd have lots more to add now...

Partner pbcowboy77

Nov 14, 2006, 2:11 AM
Post #5 of 36 (6436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yetanotherdave] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you think Pete would come back...

socalclimber

Nov 14, 2006, 2:18 AM
Post #6 of 36 (6430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pbcowboy77] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why would you care? Nothing to worry about.

epic_ed

Nov 14, 2006, 2:46 AM
Post #7 of 36 (6415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Today is the first day of a major transition in the history of this website. A lot of stuff happened successfully, and clearly there are some issues that will need to be addressed. The links are broken universally across the board and the code guys are going to have to decide how best to resolve the problem.

Please be patient while we work to find a solution.

Thanks,

Ed

mingleefu

Nov 14, 2006, 2:47 AM
Post #8 of 36 (6414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(pbcowboy77 wrote): Do you think Pete would come back...

He's a monument to laziness. He'd just as soon talk about his climbing exploits as have new ones. His climbing career is probably entirely recorded on the internet. He's offensive to some, amusing to most, and a genuinely unique character. He'd have to come back! He belongs here, probably more than many of us do.

Truth is, he'll probably show up anywhere he's welcomed, nay, encouraged to appear. PTPP is like The ball players in "Field of Dreams", if you allow it, he will come. Inane antics and big wall crab in tow, he will come.

(This post was edited by mingleefu on Nov 14, 2006, 2:48 AM)

yetanotherdave

Nov 14, 2006, 3:28 AM
Post #9 of 36 (6375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do you think Pete would come back...
If they'll allow it, I'll invite him back...

Partner tattooed_climber

Nov 14, 2006, 4:51 PM
Post #10 of 36 (6305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yetanotherdave] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ya....thats one of the first things i checked, was the "index to ptpp's posts"

fuck, i don't even know why he left, i was alround at the time, i guess i just some how missed it (i didn't know aboot community i guess)

mojavedesertrat

Nov 14, 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #11 of 36 (6233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tattooed_climber] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what did happen, anyway? Why was he given the boot?

atg200

Nov 15, 2006, 4:18 AM
Post #12 of 36 (6183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojavedesertrat] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

more morons taking weeks who shouldn't be there encouraged by pete is exactly what the first 4 pitches of highly traveled trade routes need.

mingleefu

Nov 16, 2006, 6:01 AM
Post #13 of 36 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojavedesertrat] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what did happen, anyway? Why was he given the boot?
That's a can-o-worms, man. I've asked that before and folks zip up the matter quickly. As I understand it, his parting was "voluntary" and he is still respected well enough that noone beats that dead horse too much (and rightly so).

I figured you might appreciate *some* response. Questions of this nature get mostly avoided. The story is out there though. Takes some serious diggin' and siftin' to get through the Bull.

stymingersfink

Nov 17, 2006, 2:54 AM
Post #14 of 36 (6077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Forum_Rules_513.html

See "specific forum policies", paragraph 2. I think that article was written with his history on this site in mind, but that's just my take on the matter.

Lets just say a lot of fucked up things went on, most (but not all) of them of his own creation.

teth

Nov 20, 2006, 8:17 PM
Post #15 of 36 (6002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so he probably broke most, if not all, of the rules mentioned in “Specific Forum Policies”. He seems a bit tamer now from his posts on SupperTopo. Not that he would not still break a lot of these rules now. Just that he probably would not take it so far now.

Anyway, I would love to see him back on this forum. The “Better Way” has evolved in the last few years. He has now broken two brands of adjustable daisies and is due any day now to have a revelation that pulling ones self up the cliff with a 2 to 1 mechanical advantage leads to excessive ware on the daisies.

All joking aside, though, his stuff is a valuable resource, and he is very helpful to new aid climbers. I learned a lot from his stuff, both here and on other forums. I also learned a lot from people who disagreed with him, which makes him doubly valuable to have around.

Teth

stymingersfink

Nov 21, 2006, 4:15 AM
Post #16 of 36 (5935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [teth] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i heard about his first misadventure with adjustable daisies and was not suprised that such things could and do happen.

Probably the one thing i took from his posts (aside from teaching myself how to be a little more creative with img linking within posts which is worthless information now) was the kong adjustable fifi.

The hell of it is, he's mistaken in the concept of hauling himself up the rock with a 2:1, as there is no mechanical advantage to the system as he describes it. It would start as a 1;1, less when you factor in frictional losses. That particular facet of the issue aside, I wouldn't climb harder aid without it.

I will hold in reserve my own personal views on the rest of the matter.Unimpressed

mingleefu

Nov 21, 2006, 8:46 AM
Post #17 of 36 (5902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [teth] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and is due any day now to have a revelation that pulling ones self up the cliff with a 2 to 1 mechanical advantage leads to excessive ware on the daisies.

No kidding? You have a link to that TR? I remember the story about the first one included some comment about how he knew the thing was pretty well worn already anyway. How worn was the second daisy?

Apparently I need to lurk a little more proficiently over there..

roninthorne

Nov 21, 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #18 of 36 (5880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know... they finally kicked Chongo outta Yosemite, too, man.....

Things change...

Dude might have been a "resource", viewed in a very forgiving light, but my own impression, having met him twice at Oozefest, was that he was a self-centered, self-important rude shmuck. Just my opinion.

teth

Nov 21, 2006, 3:18 PM
Post #19 of 36 (5829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What some people don’t get is that being a self-centred, self-important rube shmuck was what made him so great. If he did not crave attention so much he would never have put the effort he did into answering peoples questions and explaining the details of this very complicated style of climbing. The desire to feel important is the motivation that lead to him to writing all this great reference material.

There are some really nice guys in the climbing community. I hear that Ammon is a really nice guy, but how often does he post detailed descriptions on how to aid climb? How often do the other nice people post this stuff. Well, ok, Kate might be an exception, but a lot of the people you would want to hang out with don’t really put the effort into explaining stuff that this self-centred, self-important rube shmuck did.

Teth

frodolf

Nov 21, 2006, 3:30 PM
Post #20 of 36 (5820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Roninthorne, I don't mean to be rude, but didn't you yourself just brake the first of the forum rules? The one about no personal attacks being allowed? He's still a person, and I don't see a reason to smear him here (were he can't reply). That's kind of weak.

I myself havn't met the man, havn't even been to your side of the pool yet, but his posts sure as h#ll tought me alot, and I think that ought to count for something. And also, as far as I've been able to find out, it was his HUMOR that caused the moderators to ban him, not he being selfcentered or not. That he simply had a bit... harder humor than them.

peace

M.

epic_ed

Nov 26, 2006, 7:11 AM
Post #21 of 36 (5709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [frodolf] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

frodolf wrote:
Roninthorne, I don't mean to be rude, but didn't you yourself just brake the first of the forum rules? The one about no personal attacks being allowed? He's still a person, and I don't see a reason to smear him here (were he can't reply). That's kind of weak.

I myself havn't met the man, havn't even been to your side of the pool yet, but his posts sure as h#ll tought me alot, and I think that ought to count for something. And also, as far as I've been able to find out, it was his HUMOR that caused the moderators to ban him, not he being selfcentered or not. That he simply had a bit... harder humor than them.

peace

M.

Nope -- he's not breaking any rules. You have to have a pretty thick skin in this forum, and he was in fact, just expressing his opinion based upon his real life observations. Pete earned whatever reputation he has, and in order to change it, he'll have to work at that, too. For what it's worth I think Pete has taken to heart some of the feedback he's received over the past few years. Regardless -- his post and the info within them will be patched up as quickly as possible.

Ed

(This post was edited by epic_ed on Nov 26, 2006, 7:15 AM)

frodolf

Nov 26, 2006, 9:55 PM
Post #22 of 36 (5640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epic_ed] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I guess you're right Ed. Actually I wrote that to find out a little bit more about where the lines are really drawn.

About it being kind of weak, that I still stand by. Even if it was based on personal excperiences. It's not very nice to write like that about someone who can't answer for himself.

But I'm probably just a thin-skinned idealist, in a reality far, far away... Wink

ammon

Nov 29, 2006, 1:18 AM
Post #23 of 36 (5558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [frodolf] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"I hear that Ammon is a really nice guy, but how often does he post detailed descriptions on how to aid climb?"

Haa ha haa, funny to come over here to see "the new site" and find someone talking about me.

Actually, I used to post detailed descriptions of big wall climbing before Pete was ever a user here. It was not to get attention but it really did make me feel good helping people learn, getting them psyched and inspiring them, as well.

That was five or six years ago. Pete had/has some good qualities in his posts. I stopped posting beta because Pete had the "loudest voice in the room" syndrome. I felt no need to give beta/advice anymore because he obviously liked the questions addressed to him

I'm not bagging on PPTP, just clarifying your statement.

Anyway, it's good to see some of the users I recognize from way back when. Who knows, I might even stick around and give some beta, ha haa haa.

Climb safe and have fun!!!

Cheers, Ammon
http://rocknclimb.com

flamer

Nov 29, 2006, 4:57 AM
Post #24 of 36 (5524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ammon] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ammon wrote:
I stopped posting beta because Pete had the "loudest voice in the room" syndrome. I felt no need to give beta/advice anymore because he obviously liked the questions addressed to him

Classic.

Pete chased off more than one extremely knowledgable person because of his ego.

Climb slow, carry alot of stuff, and I know everything...that was pete's legacy.

josh

Partner holdplease2

Nov 30, 2006, 3:44 AM
Post #25 of 36 (5476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamer] Dr. Piton's Posts are screwed up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ammon:

Please stick around, there is a ton of interest over here, including great questions and folks who are really appreciative of helpful answers. Having you here could really breathe some new life into our forum!

:)

-Kate.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook