Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

shimanilami

Nov 10, 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #51 of 59 (4440 views)
Shortcut

Re: gear storage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

IMHO

As for hanging it on a peg-board or on a line you can clip stuff too, it sucks because you have to pack and unpack everything each time go climbing. The only real purpose this serves is to display your gear. That's cool if you have OCD, a gear fetish, or are trying to impress someone, I guess ...

The "better" way is what other's have described: keep your trad gear in one box (or bag), your sport stuff in another box, your mountaineering/ice gear in another box, your aid gear in another, etc. (By "better", I mean you can spend more time sleeping and climbing, and less time obsessing with gear.)

I leave my rope, shoes, harness, chalkbag, ATC, headlamp, tape and other essentials in my backpack. If I'm heading to a sport crag, I grab my backpack and the sport box (15 draws, Gri-Gri and slippers). If I'm heading to the Valley, I grab the backpack and trad box. It's easy, simple and efficient.

Ultimately, I suppose it depends on how much time you want to spend fiddling with you gear at your house. I spent a couple of years with a gear fettish, hanging stuff up on a wall and loading my backpack up each time I went out. But I'm over that now and I realize how much time I wasted doing something that had no real benefit.

And that Gear-pack couldn't hold a third of my trad rack.

And Svilnit, you really need to get life.

kovacs69

Nov 10, 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #52 of 59 (4440 views)
Shortcut

Re: gear storage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The gear-pack thing is a good idea but did you happen to notice how much gear they had in it. I had a California Roll I used for about 6 months before it became more trouble than it was worth. I suppose those things would be ok if you were just sport climbing or had a very limited amount of gear.

I currenty store my gear in rubbermaid boxes sorted by climbing style..ie..sport, trad or top rope. Since I use different ropes for each style I just toss the box into the car along with a back pack and away I go. The rubbermaid boxes are also good at keeping varmits out of your stuff if you happen to get a mouse in your house. Mice love to gnaw on your climbing shoes and ropes...trust me I know. Damn mice! The boxes also keep the smell from you shoes in with your gear which can be awful! My shoes usually hang on a hook out in my garage. They smell too bad to keep in the house.

JB

jbarn02

Nov 13, 2006, 4:26 PM
Post #53 of 59 (1272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jerrygarcia] Gear storage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[reply]My gear is split up into 3 crates.

1:trad gear
2:caving vertical gear
3:top rope gear

Go to your local drug store and look out back near the dumpster, they usually have stacks of plastic crates that their stock comes in. They make AWESOME storage containers and they are all stackable

[ This Message was edited by: jerrygarcia on 2002-09-23 07:14 ][/reply]

UH, Those crates/totes that are near the dumpster are ment to be returned to the DC where the store got its deilvery and are not considered trash.

skinner

Nov 14, 2006, 1:33 PM
Post #54 of 59 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [astronerd] Gear storage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys are way too organized, and have way too much spare time. Actually.. I wish I was that organized, but I have too much gear, and it just never seems to happen. I have gear in my living room, dining room, bedroom, laundry room, car, I think there is even some in the bathroom. I have a portaledge hanging from my loft that my son has slept on for 2+ years now, with various amounts of gear hanging from it as well. When it's time to go climbing, I just rattle off a list of what I want packed.
The next morning when I get up, the packs are sitting by the door ready to go.
So get rid of the peg boards and giant Tupperware containers, have and train kids instead! When they're not looking slip some extra weight, rocks, beer, etc. in their pack to increase the training effect. Sly

coolklimber

Nov 15, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #55 of 59 (1221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] Gear storage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't need to sort it individually, when you go and use it, it seems to jumble altogether again. Organize it in the order you take it out of your pack, and put it on.

endercore

Nov 16, 2006, 3:16 AM
Post #56 of 59 (1202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [astronerd] Gear storage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a combination of the pile o crap method and the leave your pack packed method. I have my climbing gear all packed and ready to go so i can just grab the pack and run. my other general camping/backpacking is scattered around the closet because sometimes i use it, other times i dont.

My school also has a bike storage room. This is where I keep my bouldering pad. My buddies and I also keep our kayaks in there to. Just stack them up in the middle of the room and stuff all the paddling gear inside.

sdbum

Nov 17, 2006, 7:03 AM
Post #57 of 59 (1181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [endercore] Gear storage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i took the hangers and cloths out of part of my closet and screwed hooks onto the botom of the hanger pole, from this pole i have 3 hooks. i have a rope, a backpack with chalkbag inside (just waiting for the shoes to get thrown in ) to go bouldering, and a helmit hanging on the 3rd with my hedlamp resting within. on the floor i have a large shoe box with nus and cams in it, another box with quickdraws, and then all my shoes ventalating on the floor with the boxes.

mattyp

Nov 17, 2006, 9:49 AM
Post #58 of 59 (1170 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gear storage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't need to store it! Just leave it all at the crag under a pile of rocks...like a geocache!

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 17, 2006, 3:20 PM
Post #59 of 59 (1147 views)
Shortcut

Gear storage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been using a 55 gallon rubbermade tub w/ wheels (it's filled to the top and doesn't include my ropes). Frankly this method is identical to the pile-o-crap method because it's too big to put into a car, and I have no need to take 90% of that crap on every trip. Really, do I need bolting and zip line gear on a top rope trip?

Instead I picked one of these:
Mountain Smith Modular Hauler Bags
I haven't gotten it all sorted just yet but it seems pretty promising.

- God, I'm such a gear whore.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook