Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

redlegrangerone

Nov 10, 2006, 2:08 AM
Post #26 of 50 (4266 views)
Shortcut

Re: REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well "Bro" I guess I'll be the one to pipe up and defend REI. I will not defend the individual store or the "moron" that was encountered, but I will defend the company as a whole.

I have been employed at REI off and on for over 9 years. REI is number 9 on Fortune's best companies to work for list for a reason. They provide all employees regardless of hours worked with health insurance, flexible schedules, gear discounts, upward mobility and unlimited store to store mobility.

Everyone who works at every REI store is by no means an expert in every field. Every employee has there own area or areas of expertise. In the vast group of outdoor enthusiasts climbers are a very small minority and true mountaineers even smaller. This being said, at every moment there is not a true climbing expert on the clock in every store. You call yourself a climber but your knowledge is probably fairly limited, judging by your profile (no offense). If you were an employee and no expert was on shift then you might be given the phone to field a climbing question. What if you didn't know the answer, like... do you sell Leeper cam hooks. You would most likely say we don’t sell that, and when I described it you might still not understand the specific use. This doesn't make that person an idiot or discredit the company does it? If you have nothing better to do than Make fun of a very influential company that had a huge part in bringing the first climbing equipment to North America than don't shop there and don't waste the time of the employees on the phone.

So did you join the site today just for this?

skinner

Nov 10, 2006, 2:50 AM
Post #27 of 50 (4266 views)
Shortcut

Re: REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK Mr/Mrs REI..

In reply to:
You call yourself a climber but your knowledge is probably fairly limited, judging by your profile

Using the same method of judging a persons knowledge and experience , your knowledge is ziltch (judging from your profile)

You know, I re-read the OP, and didn't see where he bitched about REI's employee benefits, insurance, flexible schedules, gear discounts, upward mobility and unlimited store to store mobility? I'm not sure what this has to do with him getting the gear he wants.

In reply to:
I have been employed at REI off and on for over 9 years.

What you are saying, is that you have absolutely no idea what REI was like in.. say 1975 when I bought my first harness from the Seattle store. Trust me, times have changed, and so had REI, and not for the better as far as the serious climber/mountaineer is concerned.
Mind you, if you are looking for staff discounts on the latest designer urban-ware to strut around in and look cool in, you are working at the right place!

In reply to:
9 on Fortune's best companies to work
uhuh and this has exactly what to do with mountaineering or plastic boots?

anykineclimb

Nov 14, 2006, 9:04 PM
Post #28 of 50 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Red, you find boots yet?

redlegrangerone

Nov 15, 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #29 of 50 (2706 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not yet. I have to find somewhere I can try them on.

porcelainsunset

Nov 18, 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #30 of 50 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlegrangerone] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I am going to stick my neck out here.

I have worked for three different local stores, all three of them stores with at least a good climbing department, one of them has the largest selection in the US. I am by no means a climbing expert, but I would like to think that I live the lifestyle.

I worked at local stores for the exact same reasons that have already been brought up in this thread. Local economy, local enivornment, local people. In short, prioties where they should be. Now I ride my bike to a local grocery store.

Now, I hate REI just as much as the next guy. They use the image of climbing and outdoor recreation to market largely to group of urban yuppies who want to fit in with the outdoor trend, and hell, they do a great job at it too. As a result, climbing is stuffed in the back, staffed by people who have 10 years customer service working at The GAP.

Also, I have no idea how they got ratted so high on Fortunes Best, I know people who have worked there for three years and are still making under $10 an hour, even though they sell product that people trust their lives to. I fucking wash dishes at a grocry store and make that, and I have only been there for a couple of months.

Also, REI's hireing theory is that they can teach product knowledge, but can't teach customer service. Bullshit. I think that they are flat out wrong. There is no way you are going to teach somebody everything they need to know to sell half of that shit, not even to mention climbing gear, unless they already have that knowledge and use it on a regular basis.

BUT...

With all the marks against them, they still do some great things. Just to get hired their, you have to spend your first day on the job doing community serive. They use their money and leverage to lobby on the National Level to defend our envioronment. Recently they helped overturn Bush's forest policy, which brought back Clinton erra conservation on a national level. Many would arguee that this is self serving, because protecting the access to the outdoors protects their maket, but who cares, it's smart, and it helps us out. Also, they give more money and volunteers to local communites that local shops can't even compare with. Shure, the local shops put on events, work with the access fund every once in a while, and do a few other things. But for the most part, the heart just isn't there, especially when it comes to the enviornment. None of the companies I worked for cared much about it when it really came down to it. Yes, REI dose have way more leverage than these smaller compaines do, so they should be expected to do more, much more, and well, I think that they do. Sadly, alot of it goes unseen, but I really think that they have their hearts in the right place. I still think that they should do more than they do, but I think they are doing better than the local shops. Sure this has nothing to do with the OP, and I am certainly not defending thier employee's competence in any way, nor am I saying that REI is a great company doing all they can and we should run out and support them.

BUT...

what I am saying is that the local stores really don't do that much, and REI really isn't that bad. So, don't compare them to Wall Mart, Mayce's, Home Depot, or other awful companies. However, I would recomend taking your climbing needs elsewhere.

So, Fuck Wall Wart, Fuck a whole bunch of other companies, but REI should not be compared to the scum of other corprate giants.

styleboy

Nov 18, 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #31 of 50 (2651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [porcelainsunset] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just curious from anyone here that has worked at REI, what kind of benefits do you get from working there?

redlegrangerone

Nov 18, 2006, 9:26 PM
Post #32 of 50 (2640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styleboy] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually do buy from REI often. I have been using them for almost 20 years. But I used to be able to get what I needed there. I expect to be able to walk into a company that was formed for the benefit of mountaneers and climbers and be able to get that gear.

Sadly, that is no longer true.

quiteatingmysteak

Nov 18, 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #33 of 50 (2637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlegrangerone] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it really baffles me sometimes why people choose the REI or MEC over the local climbing shop. I know some people that work at REI and they are great people! However REI is notorious for not being well rounded. How can you be a climbing expert and not a sleeping bag or tent expert? Where the hell ARE you climbing? And as far as mountaineering goes... just pick up an Alpinist mag. Open to any page and BAM plastic boots.

Climbing has roots everywhere in the outdoor industry... even Sierra Club was originally started as a climbing club (i believe...).

The shop I work at has 5 times the climbing selection of most of the REI's I have seen. We also have 1/5 of the casual wear. The profit REI makes is largely on clothing, so of course that is the best place to go for selection on mountainwear. however, if your buying climbing gear, better go to bill and teds excellent equipment because climbing is something they can offer you that a big corporation cant :)

and as far as REI being the 7th best place to work for... Im thinking they didnt investigate every place in the world. I remember my job as a projectionist to be a bit better, find me a job where you can spend 8 hours a day reading and doing pull ups and you have me sold :)

redlegrangerone

Nov 19, 2006, 1:32 AM
Post #34 of 50 (2612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, I did go to the local shop first. They do not carry what I need.

And I am sorry, but I have not figured out how to try on a picture of a plastic boot in a magazene.

nuglas

Nov 19, 2006, 1:41 AM
Post #35 of 50 (2611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work at REI and this is hurting my hardcore feelings.

porcelainsunset

Nov 19, 2006, 9:43 AM
Post #36 of 50 (2594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nuglas] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I work at REI and this is hurting my hardcore feelings.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

phase_nine

Nov 22, 2006, 6:59 PM
Post #37 of 50 (2560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kellrp] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You call yourself a climber but your knowledge is probably fairly limited, judging by your profile (no offense). If you were an employee and no expert was on shift then you might be given the phone to field a climbing question. What if you didn't know the answer, like... do you sell Leeper cam hooks. You would most likely say we don’t sell that, and when I described it you might still not understand the specific use. This doesn't make that person an idiot or discredit the company does it? If you have nothing better to do than Make fun of a very influential company that had a huge part in bringing the first climbing equipment to North America than don't shop there and don't waste the time of the employees on the phone.

Yep, and with my semi-limited knowledge/experience of climbing, I can bet you 50 fucking dollars that I know more than 90% of the employees that work at any given REI/EMS. I have gone in there a few times before I started working at my current store, and every time, no one hanging around the "climbing" department could answer a question harder than, "Where are your belay devices?" and didn't even know what an ATC guide was.

I have had a few friends getting into climbing who have gone there to get shoes, and all of them have had to go back time and time again because NO ONE FIT THEIR SHOES RIGHT. One friend has gone back 4 fucking times. How hard is it to put a beginning climber in proper shoes? Not too hard, and that's coming from someone pretty new to this. How about, go back to selling North Face down jackets and Prana capris to Audi driving yuppies, you tool.

And yes, REI may have been a huge part in widely distributing climbing equipment, but they are a corporation, and they are a corporation that sold the fuck out. So I will continue to make fun of them, and you for continuing to work there.

And for what its worth, I worked at EMS about 5 years ago, and it was the worst job I ever worked. Hands down. A completely bullshit, corporate, depressing job with nothing but profit in mind. Nothing.

(This post was edited by phase_nine on Nov 22, 2006, 7:02 PM)

nuglas

Nov 24, 2006, 6:14 PM
Post #38 of 50 (2512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phase_nine] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jebus Man,..
I think you may be in need of some retail therapy. REI is a store,.. not an evil empire of "Audi driving Yuppies".. if you would like a broader brush to use when slopping your generalizations around, look to your local hardware store, I'm sure they can help. REI does sell brushes, but their staff are real Assholes.
I think this whole debate sells my point that, often peoples shitty, elitist attitudes are a main part of making really beautiful things turn to crap. I am sure you are a wise man, able to educate the masses in all of the "easy" proceedures involved with outfitting people correctly for outdoor adventures, from rock shoes to crampons, I can tell by your tone, you got that shit licked.
I don't want to excuse retail incompetance, I will agree that if you are asked a question you don't know the answer to, no answer is better than a wrong one. I think you found one of the truly clueless employees of REI, shit happens.
I would submit, that before going to a store to buy, or even parouse gear, you do your own homework, get reviews, tech manuals, advice from a mentor, whatever it takes to educate YOURSELF. Then when you go make a purchace, all you need to ask that A-Hole sales PERSON for is a size, and in your case, a color.
I seem to have fallen into the trap of debating with angry, stone throwing people,.. But c'mon man,.. you gonna shoot your crap and say it's easy to fit climbing shoes?.. REI keeps about fourteen styles of shoes in stock for you to come in and try on in a plethora of sizes,.You know what a plethora is Jefe?
I would say that in your infinate outfitting expertise, you lost sight that footwear is not only the most important piece of gear, but they are notoriously difficult to size and fit correctly, beginner or non, there are literally billions of shapes of feet, and in the end It's your fucking feet in the shoe bro,.. what do you want me to tell you?
DO YOUR HOMEWORK, and the people at the stores, REI or any other won't have to hear your bullshit.
Happy Holidays

(This post was edited by nuglas on Nov 24, 2006, 6:42 PM)

phase_nine

Nov 25, 2006, 4:06 AM
Post #39 of 50 (2475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oops, looks like I offended another "REI Co-op Member." Or maybe you really do work at REI.....

First off, I stated in my last post that I DO have LIMITED knowledge in outdoor retail sales. So, when you talk about my "infinate" (sic) outfitting expertise, you're exaggerating what I said to make your argument more valid. Genius. Pure. Genius.

Now, if I had gone into REI once and had spoken with an idiot, I wouldn't really have a problem. But, when every time I have gone into the store, I speak with an idiot, I have a problem. When every time anyone I know goes into the store and speaks with an idiot, I have a problem. When people come into our store and say they were misdirected or not helped by an idiot at REI, I have a problem. It's not as if I walked in once and decided to hate the place. All I have ever experienced in regards to REI has be incompetence and idiocy.

Whenever I am looking to buy a product , I do almost all my research myself. Whether it is electronics, gear, books, etc. I use all of my available sources to figure out what it is that is best for me. I'm sure a decent amount of people on this site do that as well. But, do you expect John Q. Public to have to spend 3 hours researching what they want, WHEN THERE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SPECIALTY RETAIL STORES FOR THAT EXACT REASON!?!?!?!

I am beginning to think that you really are an employee at REI, with all your talk about 14 pairs of shoes available. I'm sorry, but that is not a good selection of shoes. How about 14 different styles of JUST five.ten shoes? That's selection. But the amount of shoes your store carries is irrelevant when there is NO ONE AROUND WITH ENOUGH KNOWLEDGE TO FUCKING PUT THEM ON SOMEONES FEET!

Yea, if you've done it twice, fitting climbing shoes can be a little tough to fit. But, not as nearly as hard as mountaineering boots or ski boots. All it takes is sitting down with your customer and THEIR FUCKING FEET, more than a few pairs of shoes and taking a little time to figure out what fits best.

I love the 2 shots you tried to take at me there. One being some reference about me needing a specific color of something, which doesn't even make sense. Please get back to me about what you meant with that one. The other asking me if I know what a plethora is, when you are the one with amazing spelling, stellar grammar and a vocabulary that Shakespeare would be proud of. Take a fucking second to think before you talk next time. Idiot.

nuglas

Nov 25, 2006, 9:15 PM
Post #40 of 50 (2444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK,...I'll give you another shot at this man,.. that last post just didn't do it for me.
You are falling far short of establishing credibility here,.. You are shitting on a store's employees at the same time you are volunteering that you are a novice outfitter, at best, and working the floor ina climbing store??? Floor warrior?? please,. Are you reading this with co-workers? If yes, turn to the ones who keep your shops rep solid and thank them for taking up your TR slack while you do all the shit throwing. What do you use an ATC guide for on TR? Do you also keep a daisy on that belt?? Between the legs, right? WTF man,.. just cause your friends are core, don't hold you for shit.
I hoped you would get my jokes in the last post, but you are abit daft there too,.. The plethora bit is from the Chevy Chase classic, "Three Amigos"!!
and as for the color bit, if you don't get it, you are lucky to have limited experience there too. I thought making a gear fashion comment to a guy in Boulder would be like asking Aunt Jemimah about pancakes,... I guess not. Not to slam the area, just you, who doesn't LOVE Colorado.
Now, lets talk shoe selection,.... 14 pr. of 5.10's eh? whatelse does this shop cary? An equal selection of other makes?.. we would quickly approach a "small" shop with a 60-75 style shoe selection!?.. if you tell me where this shop is, I will meet you there tomarrow for a coffee and hooter.
REI carries Evolv, Sportiva, Garmont, Scarpa, 5.10, Mad Rock, Boreal, and Mammut. Can't find the right style or size in the store? Then special order anything you want, have it mailed to the store, for free, try them on and buy any, or none of them. If you do purchase a pair, use them! all you want to,.. then,.. even if your reasons are more full of shit than a phase_nine argument, return them for a full store credit or refund. really, man,.. what small shop is gonna take back four year old shoes blown out and smelling of feet, and accept the reason " didn't meet needs" for the full return price? NONE. if you wanna call bullshit on that, I need to know what store, because that is some crazy policy. But it goes for ANYTHING made by any manufacturer they cary.

The reason REI does this, and has done this for years, is because, anyone who actually uses the life out of their gear knows, nothing goes as planned in the real world of outdoor adventure, and even the seemingly perfect gear, and fit, can eat shit in the backcountry under any number of untold circumstances. So if you do get caught in the shit, and have a tough time with gear you had reviewed, evaluated and trusted, REI won't sit and say, tough shit broseph, you bought it.
The returned items are also stock for their bi-monthly garage sales, where deals are abound on gently used, and damaged goods. I couldn't say when the last time I spent more that 15$ on trail shoes was.
Now how could anyone enter this without adressing the employee competance thing,.. I mean, that is your argument right? Well, I would submit, if you can't sniff out a gear junkie working for a prodeal, from a guy who loves hiking and needs a job, Your bad. Not in the Michael Jackson way.
I'm not saying I want hiker Jim to sell me tri cams, or talk rope, but, ask a silly question get what your dumb ass gets. I think REI will keep their climbing goods on a general blanket basis to keep climbers coming in for the deals they can offer, and the good advice and comraderie that have made them a staple in the outdoor gear trade. If you get to a place where you have any gear questions, cause really, how much do you need for TR. Please I would suggest, asking your co-workers, or, find one of the folks at REI who can help, even if they are not the first person you find in the store, be patient, and good things will come to you.
phase_nine I am sorry for my shitty tone, but you are full of crap.

nuglas

Nov 25, 2006, 9:24 PM
Post #41 of 50 (2442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Advanced apologies for spelling and grammar errors, I drive a beer truck, and climb, I don't teach english.
And just one bit more. Ask Phil Oren if all you need to fit boots, shoes, or hell even fuckin flip flops, is time and some boots.
Back in tha day I worked for a Maryland shop and they sent me to a two day Fit System clinic on the lighter points of boot fitting. I think your boss should consider keeping your dumb ass behind the register.

(This post was edited by nuglas on Nov 25, 2006, 9:32 PM)

quiteatingmysteak

Nov 25, 2006, 9:30 PM
Post #42 of 50 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nuglas, its obvious he has had a bad experience with REI. thats part of business, thats why we have to have good customer service. If i go somewhere 3 times and am not satisfied, going a 4th would be a pretty dumb move. If someplace burns you on something, move on. You cant convince him that its his fault that he had bad service... he knows. he was there : /

REI is a cool store, they carry a lot of sweet stuff, more than a small shop can house. unfortunately, to deliver this to the public, they have to hire more people (there arent enough well rounded outdoorsmen/women looking for an 8dollar and hour job, so you have to pick and choose specialty) and sell the RIGHT stuff (i.e. patagoochi, lots n lots of clothies and good luck finding Fish/Yates :D).

REI didn't "sell out." A lot of people are introduced to the outdoor industry THROUGH REI. they filled a need that didn't exist. I don't think its possible to have a big league, statewide store that sells the same volume that a gear shop outside of joshua tree can. But an REI in florida can.

and yes, if you cant fit a boot from a magazine u totally suck :) tahts what inches to foot converters are for! Wink

nuglas

Nov 25, 2006, 9:49 PM
Post #43 of 50 (2436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

True, I have a tendancy to get roped into this kinda crap,.. usually it's in person though, not internet. I will try to quit eating your steak, but with calm sain points like that last post, it will be hard.
Red, USE the REI return policy for all it's worth, if you need a place to try on your boots, they will order them for you,.. really. It's just so simple. No BS.
The only trouble with the system at REI is the whole forethought thing. It doesn't work if you are climbing tomarrow, so remember ppppppp.!!
We have reached an impass on our employee competance issue, so find a knowledgable gear head, and make some choices. If REI can help, I know they will, they are good people who sell toys for big kids. And in that way, some big kids also work there.
And I forgot to put Montrail on the list of brands they cary.

equada

Nov 26, 2006, 2:58 AM
Post #44 of 50 (2380 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't understand why you would shop at REI anyways. Unless you are stoked on REI brands.
It's true, they stock only what sells. Cheap crap!
Most employees are there for a deal, they could care-less if they make a positive sale. what about
the classes they offer? Do their guides have the
proper qualifications? I don't be leave you can know
everthing in the outdoor industry, but if you work it
you better get to know as much as possible.
It's a great feeling to have customers leave my shop knowing they got great customer service and some knowledge. Because a review turns into a rave.
I have got to say that anyone that walks into my shop looking for a brand or product, I do what I can to accomidate their needs. If I don't have it, I'll get it.
You don't ask REI employees for advice, thats why they have all those "REI GEAR" paphlets all over the store. Employees are there to retreive stock or ring you up at the register.
Sorry REI, but you do suck now.
BRING BACK THE SPECIALTY SHOPS!

squamishdirtbag

Nov 27, 2006, 2:50 AM
Post #45 of 50 (2326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [equada] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why would a yuppie-outdoor-clothing gig sell plastic boots? Ive never been in an REI store and thanks to this thread i never will.

Go to a climbing store!

phase_nine

Nov 27, 2006, 4:15 AM
Post #46 of 50 (2314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squamishdirtbag] REI Does Not Do Mountaineering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I'm gonna skip right to the bottom of the replys and post this. I would like to apologize to people reading here, and to whom my earlier post were directed. I think that a lot of the shit talking, name calling and internet fighting found on RC.com is unnacceptable. I have written a few times speaking my distaste about people talking horribly to each other. I just got sucked into an asshole response to someone here who was mostly just stating an opinion. So, i'm sorry for directing my angry opinions towards someone with such a dickheaded attitude. I'm not really like that in person. Promise.

And I'll actually read and respond to replys in a bit.

quiteatingmysteak

Nov 27, 2006, 4:39 AM
Post #47 of 50 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

phase_nine wrote:
Well, I'm gonna skip right to the bottom of the replys and post this. I would like to apologize to people reading here, and to whom my earlier post were directed. I think that a lot of the shit talking, name calling and internet fighting found on RC.com is unnacceptable. I have written a few times speaking my distaste about people talking horribly to each other. I just got sucked into an asshole response to someone here who was mostly just stating an opinion. So, i'm sorry for directing my angry opinions towards someone with such a dickheaded attitude. I'm not really like that in person. Promise.

And I'll actually read and respond to replys in a bit.

here here! you rock Laugh

styleboy

Nov 27, 2006, 9:19 AM
Post #48 of 50 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who cares, it's the internet. You're not always gonna get what you want.

nuglas

Nov 27, 2006, 3:55 PM
Post #49 of 50 (2286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I must also apologize for the fast crash of my respectful tone here, I don't know you, and it's totally BS for me to get sooo pist. I am sorry Phase_nine. Shop wherever you like, so will I.
We are both here stating opinions, like assholes, we all have em', and they all stink.
Sorry again for being a dick, sometimes I am like that in person. Promise.
You do make it sound like you hadn't posted anything before our exchange though,.. and that's BS. You were the one on here with a "dickhead" attitude, and thats the reason I still kinda find alot about what you are adding here to bee total crap. Sorry again for using a crafty, smart ass tone on ya man,.. I have a gift, as you said "Genius. Pure. Genuis."
This is the internet, if you wanna have a pity party when we get into some debate with evil overtones, I think teletubbies keep discussion boards too!!

(This post was edited by nuglas on Nov 27, 2006, 6:26 PM)

ebonezercabbage

Nov 27, 2006, 4:38 PM
Post #50 of 50 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I shop at REI because they are a lot cheaper than the local stores. But I shop online from the whole catelog of stuff they have, have it delivered to teh store for free and pick it up. Anything I dont like the look of, or doesn't fit, i return on the spot. When i bought my boots I maxed out my credit card to get the perfect size and just returned the rest. They were pissed, but couldn't refuse me cause I already paid.

Also, the local stores are much fewer and for me at least, harder to get to. They are the number one place to go for information about the gear i need tho. I've spent a lot of time talking with the workers in local shops. Actually, of them all, i'd say the Mountaineer in Keene Valley has the greatest staff. They really went out of their way for me a few times and spent several hours with me answering question after question about something i told them from the start i wasn't buying there.

Local shops are great, i wish i had lots of money to get what i need from them. But REI will do.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook