RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

calii22

Oct 10, 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Best places to boulder in the front range
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im kinda haveing a hard time finding fun problems in the front range. Where do you think the best places to boulder in the front range are? Besides horse tooth that one is a little to far. Sweet

rainontin

Oct 11, 2006, 1:24 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best places to boulder in the front range [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It would help if you had said something about where you are located. Horsetooth being too far could mean you live almost anywhere. Clear Creek Canyon has some great stuff, but the better problems are more obscure and hard to find. There are some great problems all throughout the Flatirons, especially in the Satellite boulders. Flagstaff has some good stuff, Morrison is ok, the Millennium Boulder is fantastic...if you are not finding any fun problems on the Front Range you really aren't looking too hard.

asc_climb

Oct 11, 2006, 1:36 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

30 minutes south of horsetooth is carter lake, west of Berthoud Colorado...

calii22

Oct 11, 2006, 3:11 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I guess my location would help ha. Im in golden colorado. I just went to clear creek today cause the weather was nice and crisp and did a couple ok problems scarie as hell landings tho and hard approaches. Morrisons ok but ive already done the majoririty of problems in my range but it is kind of hard to tell which problems are which there. Helicopter and CMJD promblems were awsome. I dont know too many people yet that boulder alot in town so I dont have a spotter really. I was going to check out the flat irons tomarrow I hope its sweet. Do you think the drive would be more worth it to go to carter lake or the flat irons. I think part of the problem is theres so many places to boulder around here that its really hard to find the best rocks to climb cause there so much spread out. Thats the reason I would like to hear from some locals which are the best places. Thanks for your guys feedback.

biggernhell

Oct 11, 2006, 7:31 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You definetly want Carter.

Most of the bouldering in the Flatirons is scattered over a very large area and most all of the landings suck. The only exception to this is the the Satelites and even though they are high quality there still isn't a great quantity of boulders there.

The main area at Carter has a ton of quality problems all in a fairly concentrated area. Its definetly worth the extra drive up from Golden.

If you like granite you should check out Elk Meadows just west of Lyons and the boulderfield just outside of the Lumpy Ridge parkinglot.

hugin

Nov 3, 2006, 8:52 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's this awesome spot just off of 93 right between Boulder and Golden that's great for night climbing ... it's like the rocks have a built-in light source. I think it's called like Rocky Flats or something.

There's a series of guides called something like "Front Range Bouldering", appropriately enough, that are really good. Check those out.

movecrafter

Nov 19, 2006, 4:11 PM
Post #7 of 9 (873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugin] Best places to boulder in the front range [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi.
I've been living in golden for my whole 25 years and I know lots of cool places to boulder that are anywhere from really close to really far. Drop me a line and maybe we could chat by phone and I coud hook you up with some directions to some of the lesser known spots.
Also, Paradise Rock Gym is a good place to hook up with motivated and down-to-earth locals to climb with.

Chuck Fryberger
www.specimenfilm.com
movecrafter@hotmail.com

lokiraven

Nov 20, 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #8 of 9 (846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [calii22] Best places to boulder in the front range [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I found Flagstaff to have some good problems, and I also enjoyed Castlewood Canyon.

krusher4

Nov 20, 2006, 3:57 PM
Post #9 of 9 (826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lokiraven] Best places to boulder in the front range [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are too many to say. You could road trip for a month and hit most spots?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook