RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

roughster

Sep 9, 2002, 10:20 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Access Concerns (Auburn Limestone, CA) - PLEASE READ
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello All,

I have an interesting situation happening with Auburn Limestone. Please read below for more info, but as of now:

CLIMB AT AUBURN LIMESTONE AT RISK

Meaning you may have negative contact with the park officials. I have been climbing at Auburn going on 3 seasons now. Since that time I have had 1 contact with (what I thought at the time since he was in Uniform) was a State Ranger. He walked up to our group, watched a few of us climb and then walked on. This put me in the mindset that climbing was a legitimate activity since he did not say anything about not being able to climb there.

This weekend I talked with a representative of the park and she informed that rock climbing is not allowed in the area despite it being a State Recreation Area.

I was given contact information to several people of which I called. The actual supervisor to Auburn was a VERY nice lady who actually said she wouldn't mind allowing climbing if it is included in the park charter as a recognized use.

However, at this time she said it was not and that the Bureau of Reclamation is actually the federal agency that governs the land. She gave me contact information for the area representative and I placed a call with him (had to leave a message).

So at it stands, climbing at Auburn Limestone may be an illegal activity to could possibly result in some sort of official fine/ticket handed out.

I am holding off complete judgement of the area (whether or not climbing is officially allowed) till I see it in writing (I have the SRA Charter for Auburn being sent to me) as well as talking with the Bureau of Reclamation representative. Hopefully he will call me back sometime today.

If it is indeed not an "allowed" activity, I will get the Access Fund involved as well remain active in fighting for access. The park is redrafting its general usage charter in early 2003 and the Supervisors mind set gives me hope to eventually establishing fully sanctioned climbing on SRA Land (some of the quarry is still operational and is private property).

I will keep people informed. FYI: I have been climbing out there for 3 years and have yet to see any representative other than "Silent Bob" (the person who did not say anything) and a Seasonal Worker who told me I should talk to the SRA about the legality of climbing there.

On the other hand, I have seen numerous other climbing groups, so I will leave the rest up to you if you want to continue climbing there or not.

However, because of this, I am taking down the directions to the area Please PM if you would like more details about climbing here.

[ This Message was edited by: roughster on 2002-09-09 15:24 ]

[ This Message was edited by: roughster on 2002-09-11 13:56 ]

roughster

Sep 11, 2002, 8:52 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Access Concerns (Auburn Limestone, CA) - PLEASE READ [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good News Good News

I just got done talking to the Bureau of Reclamation Area Superintendant and he was also very helpfull concerning the climbing situation at Auburn.

At was his opinion that at this time, climbing is not current "illegal" at Auburn but rather being "discouraged" due to safety concerns (loose rock, spellunking, mine shafts, etc..) that are in the area.

He said part of the Recreational use management plan slated to start in 2003 is to address what form of public access is most appropriate for the area. We, as Sacramento/Bay Area climbers, SHOULD be heavily involved with this process and I will post any further info about thwn the public meetings are supposed to happen.

So the good news is, climbing at Auburn is current a defendable activity since it is not "explicitly addressed" (his words) in the usage plan. I look forward to making one more phone call with Auburn SRA to make sure they are aware of the BoR standpoint before I say access is all go, but things are looking good and I plan to continue my development activities out there

I don't know about you, but I am very excited about the recent news!

Aaron

roughster

Sep 12, 2002, 12:51 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just another heads up, just got off the phone with the Aubrun SRA and she is a little resistant to letting go of "her" interpetation.

Still pretty much an at you own risk activity to climb there. I have a letter drafted to send to both the Auburn Sup and BoR Sup and hope to get a definitive answer soon.

Grrr... just when I though everything was on track back to access

Aaron

glowering

Oct 13, 2002, 9:17 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very cool of you to work on this.

Any public meetings or people to write to post here and I'll try to help.

-Steve

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook