RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Partner srwings

Nov 22, 2006, 1:33 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1681 views)
Shortcut

Forums
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is RSS available for the forums?

Also, the forums are all the way at the bottom of the RC.com home page and only the 10 latest threads are shown. Is there anyway to personalize the RC
home page so that I can have, say, the forums moved to the top of the page and show more than just 10? Thank you.

--srwings

Partner srwings

Nov 26, 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #2 of 13 (1646 views)
Shortcut

Re: [srwings] Forums [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are any Mods available to comment on my OP?

Partner coldclimb

Nov 26, 2006, 4:10 AM
Post #3 of 13 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

srwings wrote:

I brought this issue up in beta testing, but the new owners shut it down. They would rather have the forum topics at the bottom and de-emphasized.

As for MODS being able to comment, I doubt it. Can't speak up much these days.

ddt

Nov 26, 2006, 5:41 AM
Post #4 of 13 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

srwings wrote:

Also, the forums are all the way at the bottom of the RC.com home page and only the 10 latest threads are shown. Is there anyway to personalize the RC
home page so that I can have, say, the forums moved to the top of the page and show more than just 10? Thank you.

--srwings

Nope srwings, unfortunately we don't currently have these features (RSS, personalization). We've got it down for consideration as potential enhancements in the future.

DDT

Partner srwings

Nov 26, 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #5 of 13 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Forums [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks DDT & Coldplay. I'll look forward to these enhancements at some point in the future.

Any chance we can get the owners to show the last 15 or 20 forum topics instead of just 10?

The forums are the main reason I come to RC so I'm sorry to learn that they are being deemphasized. I have noticed that I spend less time on RC since the migration.

overlord

Nov 26, 2006, 4:36 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can change that (and mostly everything else, like the number of posts per page, text input box size) in the forum settings. just look at the light gray bar at the top of the page. theyre the 5th link from the left, between subscriptionss and search posts.

Partner srwings

Nov 26, 2006, 6:13 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Forums [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you can change that (and mostly everything else, like the number of posts per page, text input box size) in the forum settings. just look at the light gray bar at the top of the page. theyre the 5th link from the left, between subscriptionss and search posts.

That's good news. You're saying I can get this (see attachment) to increase from the 10 most recent forum topics currently displayed on the RC home page to a larger number? Say 20?

(This post was edited by srwings on Nov 26, 2006, 6:16 PM)
Attachments: forum.JPG (28.9 KB)

atpeaceinbozeman

Nov 28, 2006, 6:37 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Forums [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

overlord wrote:

where is that option within the settings?

I can't find a way to increase the list of recently replied to threads on the FP....

Tom

thomasribiere

Nov 28, 2006, 6:46 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atpeaceinbozeman] Forums [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think overlord misinformed you. You can change the number of threads for each forum page, but you cannot change the # of threads appearing on the FP.

shakylegs

Nov 28, 2006, 7:11 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Forums [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
srwings wrote:

--srwings

Nope srwings, unfortunately we don't currently have these features (RSS, personalization). We've got it down for consideration as potential enhancements in the future.

DDT

Would that be because pages read on an RSS feeder do not count as a page view? Hence, less visits recorded? Not to perpetuate that whole Cassandra complex expounded in another thread, but it does lend credence to rrradam's conjecture that you're relying on page visits to boost ad dollars.
Which? Hey, more power to you, as owners. But it would warm the cockles of my second heart if you were to simply come out and say it instead of treating these questions as would an overwrought mother dealing with her 3-year-old boy who's screaming for chocolate at the check-out counter, i.e., "maybe later, bobby, if you're a good boy."

ddt

Dec 2, 2006, 8:02 AM
Post #11 of 13 (1513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shakylegs] Forums [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shakylegs wrote:
Would that be because pages read on an RSS feeder do not count as a page view? Hence, less visits recorded? Not to perpetuate that whole Cassandra complex expounded in another thread, but it does lend credence to rrradam's conjecture that you're relying on page visits to boost ad dollars.
Which? Hey, more power to you, as owners. But it would warm the cockles of my second heart if you were to simply come out and say it instead of treating these questions as would an overwrought mother dealing with her 3-year-old boy who's screaming for chocolate at the check-out counter, i.e., "maybe later, bobby, if you're a good boy."

No shakylegs, we actually believe RSS would be great for the site in many different ways. In fact, we have already started some work on this, however we did not have the money or time to get it done prior to the launch of the new site.

Daniel

reno

Dec 2, 2006, 1:53 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

srwings wrote:

Yeah, sure:

1. I have no fucking idea what an RSS feed is. That anything like the bag of feed I give my horses in the morning?

2. I thought someone had written a little code for FireFox users that would bring the threads to the top. Give me the weekend to search for it, and I'll post it up here, e-mail to you, or send via PM.

Fair?

Partner srwings

Dec 2, 2006, 3:03 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Forums [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds good. Thanks.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook