RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

guangzhou

Nov 26, 2006, 9:53 PM
Post #1 of 4 (587 views)
Shortcut

Nikon Lense
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any of you have experience with the AF Zoom Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens

What do you think?

Thanks

drumminmachine62

Nov 26, 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #2 of 4 (576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Nikon Lense [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What will you be using this lens for? Bouldering? Indoor Comp? Roped stuff?
Its an OK lens if you just need a fast lens for general shooting in poor lighting, but its push pull, so you get that nice jackhammer sound of the elements slamming together if your not careful with it. also the front element rotates when you focus, its noisy and that makes working with filters a pain. the lens has effectively been replaced by the AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D ED-IF. so all those problems are fixed, along with almost tripling the price. you might try to rent these lenses if you live in a bigger city that has rental stores, or if you do a google search you can usually get one shipped to you at a weekly rate

merock

Nov 27, 2006, 2:01 AM
Post #3 of 4 (567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Nikon Lense [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a friend that shoots this lens and has two and was going to sell me one. I did some research, read some about it on Ken Rockwell.com and thought what he had to say was pretty much right on. 35-70 is pretty short for a zoom. If you are going to spend money, I'd consider the 50 1.4. It's a full stop faster and if you need to zoom in or out, just take a step forward or backward.

dbrayack

Nov 27, 2006, 3:08 PM
Post #4 of 4 (545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [merock] Nikon Lense [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, I've had a real tough time with the 50, especially when hanging or taking bouldering shots. The 50 is just TOO close most of the time.

If you're looking for a fast lens pack, I'd say get the 35mm F2.0 and 50mm F1.4. It covers the bases quite well and rather inexpensively. If cost is an issue, forget the 50mm F1.4 and get the F1.8, its cheaper (and cost less too).

For bouldering shots, the 35 is generally too close as well. I'm hoping to get a 12-24 (probably Tokina since Nikon costs way tooo much for my amateur photographer budget).

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook