Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

feanor007

Nov 22, 2006, 9:36 PM
Post #1 of 38 (4804 views)
Shortcut

First DSLR
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so i'm thinking about getting my first DSLR and it's coming down to two cameras, the Nikon d50 and Pentax k100d. most of my friends use nikon, but i already have several old Pentax lenses so i could just get the body for the pentax and save $50-150, but would it be worth it?

also, if any one has an entry-level dslr and was looking to upgrade i'd be interested in buying the old one

chanceboarder

Nov 22, 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #2 of 38 (4800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [feanor007] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Either camera would make a good entry level DSLR in my opinion. If you already have Pentax lenses that are compatible with the K100d then it would probably be cheaper to stick with Pentax. If you're thinking about being able to swap and borrow lenses from your Nikon friends then go Nikon and buy a package (body and lens). I think the biggest thing you should think about with these two cameras is that they are already falling out of the realm of what is starting become the standard 10mp and up family of cameras, even in the low end consumer range. That's not to say that these cameras are not good but with digital you kinda have to think long term.

Will you eventually want to upgrade to a better body with more features and higher resolutions? With digital cameras it seems to be most beneficial and cost efficient for even beginner DSLR users to invest in higher end camera as it will last them longer before the technology has been completely surpassed by something better and newer. I would personally save up some more money and consider looking at the Nikon D80 and the Pentax K10d, both should retail for just under $1000, not that much more money when compared to the $600 price tags of the 2 cameras you're currently considering, and both will have give you a lot of new features that you may eventually benefit from.

Jason

dbrayack

Nov 23, 2006, 1:50 AM
Post #3 of 38 (4762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, I'd suggest what I got for my first, the D70. I've used it to take a lot of the photos on this site, in the mags and in guidebooks.

its a great camera, very versatiles, I've recently upgraded to the D200, but that was just for speed (5 frames per second).

I'd spend the extra cash and get the D70 over the D50. The D50 is kinda not as user friend and pretty much crapola!

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, email me directly

dbrayack@gmail.com

-Danno

up_up_up

Nov 23, 2006, 2:54 AM
Post #4 of 38 (4744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have the d 70 and i love it too! it is deff worth the extra bucks.. and even so if you want multiple images per second... go w. the d200 like he said....

i love the camera's and would recomend it to anyone.... they are big, but so worth it!

cam

Nov 23, 2006, 4:23 AM
Post #5 of 38 (4731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [up_up_up] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How come there's no "add post" button on this "improved" version of the site. I had to click on the "reply" button in the post above me but I'm not replying to that person...lame.

Anyway, Nikon huh? Well, a wise man once told me, "son, sometimes masterbation is fun, it kills time and makes you happy. Sometimes though, masterbation prooves to be more trouble than it's worth and you wind up getting interupted and never get to finish."

I'm not totally sure what he was trying to say but I think it might apply to the OP's queery. I have the answer...don't waste your time with masterbation. Go with Canon.

jonthorpe

Nov 23, 2006, 4:39 AM
Post #6 of 38 (4724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't waste your money with the Pentax.

I say this as a pro photog who has been through the hoops when it came to choosing a system that worked best for me, and that I could grow on. Canon is the best option. More lenses, more accessories, the latest in innovation and has decent support. Nikon is close, but they are always behind on the development curve and dont offer quite the lens selection (still good though and Nikons do get the job done).

Pentax has made some fun cameras in the past, but don't go buying into a system that has no lens support. SURE you have those old K1000 lenses kickin', but what are they worth? not much. Also keep in mind that the old K mounts are not AF (unless KAF). After you invest a few grand in bodies and lenses you will like knowing that the mount and system will be around for awhile, and not end up in the bin like the Kodak and Fuji SLR's of yesterdays past.

Have fun with whatever system you choose. Do your homework and don't let a salesman sell you on a camera hes just trying to get off his shelf.

apoorva

Nov 23, 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #7 of 38 (4707 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonthorpe] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm thinking of going with the pentax k10d. jonthorpe's got a point, but pentax have been around for a while. and with samsung backing them up as well; i expect they'll be around a while longer. with the new pancake lenses amd usm lenses in development, it looks like the system's going to be around a while. Lightweight lenses and weather-sealing for a pretty good price. Looks right for outdoor work.
anyway i wouldn't compare myself to a serious pro, just trying to get there with a few pics in mags and elsewhere. would love to hear other people's opinions on k10d vs. d80 vs d200 vs 30d for a first DSLR.
In reply to:

feanor007

Nov 23, 2006, 8:20 PM
Post #8 of 38 (4684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apoorva] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cool, thanks so much for the comments. i found out i may be able to get a little nicer stuff that i started out thinks so another question nikon d50 and a second lens or a d70 or 80 and only one lens. also what other stuff do i NEED to really ues the camera, ie what size card, extra batterie, etc

guangzhou

Nov 23, 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #9 of 38 (4665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This could quickly turn into a Nokon versus canon thread. Hope you find some worth while anwser.

When I was looking at DSLR, I had to go a physically pick the bodies up. The nikon felt better in my hands and I have had no regrets.

I do agree, save some cash and go with the best possible early. I am currently in the market for a D200.

Something to think about. Once you go one way or the other, you will be buying lenses that match that camera system. Think about what leanses you want and see which brand offer what you want.

Canon and NIkon are definately ahead in the DSLR market. Fugi is doing well too. Pentax is more or less new.

merock

Nov 25, 2006, 5:38 AM
Post #10 of 38 (4629 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cam] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cam wrote:
Anyway, Nikon huh? Well, a wise man once told me, "son, sometimes masterbation is fun, it kills time and makes you happy. Sometimes though, masterbation prooves to be more trouble than it's worth and you wind up getting interupted and never get to finish."

I'm not totally sure what he was trying to say but I think it might apply to the OP's queery. I have the answer...don't waste your time with masterbation. Go with Canon.

This kinda stuff is lame. I shoot Nikon, and love Nikon, because it works for me. I have friends that shoot Canon, and love Canon and that's totally cool too. Brand bashing especially two of the top digital manufactures can only mean that the person doing the bashing has a small penis. Sucks to be you mang.
My recommendation is you buy what you can barely afford, but also make sure that what you get is the best for the price. If you are wanting to get serious about this, I would recommend definitely Canon or Nikon. They are simply leading the digital industry and it seems like it could be a wasteful investment to sink your money somewhere else. If I were you, I would head to a local pro shop and pick a few different cameras in the store and see which works best for you, see what makes the most sense for you as far as functions and design and see which feels better in your hands.
Since you mentioned the D50, I would say try to squeeze out the D80. It's a wonderful camera with some of the newer technology included into it. If price is your concern, then go with the D50. It too is a good camera that takes great images, it's just built a bit cheaper.

dobson

Nov 25, 2006, 6:15 AM
Post #11 of 38 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I shoot canon so I have little bias for or against either pentax or nikon.

Having said that, I would personally go with the pentax system; (provided I wasn't planning on collecting a lot of specialized, high-end glass). The pentax limited-edition lenses are very nice for the price, with a build that is uncommonly nice for a modern lens. Pentax make some great lenses that neither canon or nikon offer equivalents of, (like the 40mm pancake).

The decision will ultimately come down to the camera and system that you are most comfortable with. Remember that the camera is only part of the equation. Compare lenses from both brands, before you make your decision.

cam

Nov 26, 2006, 6:08 AM
Post #12 of 38 (4580 views)
Shortcut

Re: [merock] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I have a small penis...how incredably intuitive of you. As far as brand bashing being lame...yes it is. That's why I base my opinions on FACT. I'm not bashing Nikon or any other brand. I'm simply praising Canon.

Lets take a look into the real world shall we?

Just for shits and giggles, lets count the number of cameras in this image and then count how many of them are Canon. I'll save you the trouble. 79 cameras, 53 obvious big white lenses and how many of the small black lenses are Canon as well? That's minimum 67% Canon.
http://k47.pbase.com/...23.Man100MFinals.jpg

How about this one, its easier to count...33 cameras, 28 are Canon. That's 85% Canon.
http://k41.pbase.com/...6.Man100MFinals2.jpg

Here's a good one...13 lenses, 10 are Canon. That's 76% Canon.
http://k43.pbase.com/.../33066625.Canoe2.jpg

One of my pet peeves is when people get into the Canon vs Nikon bullshit without actually presenting any evidence to back up their opinions. I shoot with Canon because I started with Nikon and outgrew it quickly. Then I did a shit load of research and found that the Canon system puts all others to shame by comparison. The vast majority of PRO PHOTOGRAPHERS are Canon users. Do you suppose there's a reason for that, or is it just a crazy, happy coincidence? Pro's earn their living by their camera. Proof Positive. Why some don't use Canon, is a mystery to me.

Cost really isn't an issue here. All of the manufacturers have entry level models around the same price point. Even "pro-sumer" models share similar price point among manufacturers. So, "buy what you can afford" is pretty useless advice when someone asks for help concerning BRAND.

Let me close by saying this...When you start looking to buy an SLR, you aren't just buying into a name or a look or a market segment. You're buying into a SYSTEM. And dont give me any shit about the best system depends on the individual. If a half-ass system is good enough for you, then by all means go for it.

Just let me know when you switch to Canon. I'll buy you a beer and I won't rub it in.

</RANT>

(This post was edited by cam on Nov 26, 2006, 7:28 AM)

trebork2
Deleted

Nov 26, 2006, 8:47 AM
Post #13 of 38 (4558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I'd just go with the pentax... it doesn't matter what megapixel it is... unless your getting published or making huge prints it truly doesn't matter.

deepplaymedia

Nov 26, 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #14 of 38 (4550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trebork2] First DSLR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dont go the pentax, seriously, canon or nikon are the way. im honestly not going to bother trying to explain myself. its too late and im too stressed. thats just the way it is.

In reply to:
Why some don't use Canon, is a mystery to me.

because some of us- like err me, a good mate of mine you might have heard of him...simon carter, um thousands and thousands and thousands of other photgraphers around the world, HAPPEN TO LIKE, & GET FUCKEN GOOD RESULTS FROM NIKON!
I have used both systems and agree, in some areas canon is a little better- their digi full frame sensors are sweet and they have incredibly sharp digi lenses.
but nikon provides better for MY NEEDS so i choose to use them. and by the way, nikon make white lenses too.

merock

Nov 26, 2006, 4:53 PM
Post #15 of 38 (4534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those three links work about as well as your website and your logic.

cam

Nov 26, 2006, 5:49 PM
Post #16 of 38 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

merock wrote:
Those three links work about as well as your website and your logic.

LaughLaughLaugh

The links work fine when I click on them...maybe you're using the wrong mouse button? Then again, perhaps it's just another charming RC.com "kink".

My website is down because I've moved to a new domain and I'm uploading a new version and new content. I bet you went there to try to find garbage shots to cut me down with, huh? The site will be up by days end, then you can have a grand old time trying to poke holes in me. I'll fix the link in my profile for you, okay.

As for my logic, just because you don't grasp it, doesn't mean its not sound. Let me simplify it for you. You're basically saying "Nikon works for me so you should consider it". I'm saying "Canon works for the majority" so you should consider that." I'm looking at the bigger picture.

Geez, you try to contribute, and people fire back with more insults...typical RC.com.
As for Nikon producing white lenses, I had not heard that before, so it looks like I could be wrong by basing my numbers on white lenses. However, I checked a few Nikon sites, Canada, the US, Mexico, a few European sites and found not one single solitary white lens. A few silver lenses, but no white lenses. So if someone can point me to a Nikon hosted image of a white Nikon lens...I'll eat my words. I know, I'm REALLY beating the horse, but if I'm truly wrong, I want to know. I can admit when I'm wrong. It happened once beforeWink

(This post was edited by cam on Nov 26, 2006, 7:16 PM)

notforclimbing

Nov 26, 2006, 6:09 PM
Post #17 of 38 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just wondering about cold air..cant find anythin about how durable from cold vs..Cause there is no problem for analog slr but i think it is a problem for dslrs.

i will buy an D50 but cold is a big question still..any info?

karlbaba

Nov 26, 2006, 6:33 PM
Post #18 of 38 (4506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go with Nikon over Pentax. Camera companies are dropping like flies these days. Still, check out Canon and Sony's DSLR entries, more bang for your buck and the fact that Canon's XT is so light makes it a good climbing choice even after you've upgraded to a better model down the line.

Canon=light+good low light+cheap+plenty of options down the line
Sony=image stabilization in the camera+cheap+good lenses
Nikon=plenty of options down the line+won't quit business+don't know em that well so I can't go on

Peace

Karl

dobson

Nov 26, 2006, 8:10 PM
Post #19 of 38 (4490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As for Nikon producing white lenses, I had not heard that before, so it looks like I could be wrong by basing my numbers on white lenses. However, I checked a few Nikon sites, Canada, the US, Mexico, a few European sites and found not one single solitary white lens. A few silver lenses, but no white lenses. So if someone can point me to a Nikon hosted image of a white Nikon lens...I'll eat my words.

Your logic is close to correct. But there are a few exceptions, (i think sony is making a white tele, I know somebody is). In the photos you posted, however, the white lenses are canons; but none of the black lenses are canon, (just look for a red ring and you will know).

feanor007

Nov 26, 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #20 of 38 (4474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the info, i have another question, i have largish hands and the canon xt feels small in my hands (as compared to the d50), has anyone else had that problem or is it just somthing you get used to and come to appriciate?

cam

Nov 26, 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #21 of 38 (4467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

feanor007 wrote:
thanks for the info, i have another question, i have largish hands and the canon xt feels small in my hands (as compared to the d50), has anyone else had that problem or is it just somthing you get used to and come to appriciate?

As with anything, you get used to holding a camera of a certain size and smaller SLR's will feel...smaller. You could get used to it over time or you could explore another option.

Give the XT a try with the battery grip attached. It's an extra accessory that holds two batteries and provides a verticle shutter release. It doesn't add a whole lot to the size but may add enough that the camera feels better in your hands. Also, it is important to note that the grip will work with one battery or two for those who like to moan about the added "weight" of a second battery. In terms of shooting time though, it's well worth the extra ounce.

merock

Nov 27, 2006, 1:57 AM
Post #22 of 38 (4447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cam wrote:
I bet you went there to try to find garbage shots to cut me down with, huh?

No....not looking for shots to cut you down with, just trying to see if the person that has diarrhea of the mouth has good work to back it up. At least then I might consider what you were saying to have some validity. Although even if you had me floored with your photography, I still think brand bashing is lame.

cam wrote:
I'm saying "Canon works for the majority" so you should consider that." I'm looking at the bigger picture.

You didn't say (like I did) that you should also consider Canon, you said "Go with Canon".

cam wrote:
So if someone can point me to a Nikon hosted image of a white Nikon lens...I'll eat my words.

I think he's talking about the import version:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/278173.jpg

cam

Nov 27, 2006, 5:21 AM
Post #23 of 38 (4428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

merock wrote:
just trying to see if the person that has diarrhea of the mouth has good work to back it up. At least then I might consider what you were saying to have some validity.

So, if my work blows, then I'm wrong. If it's good, then I'm slightly less that wrong? And you called MY logic into question?

merock wrote:
I still think brand bashing is lame.

As do I. So, I'll say it again...I wasn't bashing. At no point did I say that any brand sucks. I'm just saying that I think one is better than the rest. You know what else is lame? Using the word "lame". Also, the word "Uber". Both are uber lame. I know you didn't use "Uber" at all, but I did take note of your repeated use of the word "lame". You must be a boulderer, no?

cam wrote:
I'm saying "Canon works for the majority" so you should consider that." I'm looking at the bigger picture.

merock wrote:
You didn't say (like I did) that you should also consider Canon, you said "Go with Canon".

*sigh* Well, since we're taking things so literally 'round here these days I'll re-phrase that...I think that Canon should be considered as a viable alternative amonst other, such esteemed choices. There, how's that?

cam wrote:
So if someone can point me to a Nikon hosted image of a white Nikon lens...I'll eat my words.

merock wrote:
I think he's talking about the import version:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/278173.jpg

Well, lookity loo. Words eaten.

It's been nice fishing with you, merock. There's always a biter in every thread. Well, the weekends over. Back to reality.

Laugh

(This post was edited by cam on Nov 27, 2006, 4:59 PM)

deepplaymedia

Nov 27, 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #24 of 38 (4414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a) sorry for m little outburst earlier in the thread, way stressed with magazine dealines at the mo & decided to take it out on a bunch of stinky 'merikins

b) this thread is funny

c) http://nikonimaging.com/...0mmf_4d_if/index.htm

(This post was edited by deepplaymedia on Nov 27, 2006, 11:43 AM)

guangzhou

Nov 27, 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #25 of 38 (4409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cam wrote:
Yes, I have a small penis...how incredably intuitive of you. As far as brand bashing being lame...yes it is. That's why I base my opinions on FACT. I'm not bashing Nikon or any other brand. I'm simply praising Canon.

Lets take a look into the real world shall we?

Just for shits and giggles, lets count the number of cameras in this image and then count how many of them are Canon. I'll save you the trouble. 79 cameras, 53 obvious big white lenses and how many of the small black lenses are Canon as well? That's minimum 67% Canon.
http://k47.pbase.com/...23.Man100MFinals.jpg

How about this one, its easier to count...33 cameras, 28 are Canon. That's 85% Canon.
http://k41.pbase.com/...6.Man100MFinals2.jpg

Here's a good one...13 lenses, 10 are Canon. That's 76% Canon.
http://k43.pbase.com/.../33066625.Canoe2.jpg

One of my pet peeves is when people get into the Canon vs Nikon bullshit without actually presenting any evidence to back up their opinions. I shoot with Canon because I started with Nikon and outgrew it quickly. Then I did a shit load of research and found that the Canon system puts all others to shame by comparison. The vast majority of PRO PHOTOGRAPHERS are Canon users. Do you suppose there's a reason for that, or is it just a crazy, happy coincidence? Pro's earn their living by their camera. Proof Positive. Why some don't use Canon, is a mystery to me.

Cost really isn't an issue here. All of the manufacturers have entry level models around the same price point. Even "pro-sumer" models share similar price point among manufacturers. So, "buy what you can afford" is pretty useless advice when someone asks for help concerning BRAND.

Let me close by saying this...When you start looking to buy an SLR, you aren't just buying into a name or a look or a market segment. You're buying into a SYSTEM. And dont give me any shit about the best system depends on the individual. If a half-ass system is good enough for you, then by all means go for it.

Just let me know when you switch to Canon. I'll buy you a beer and I won't rub it in.

</RANT>

Another white lense for you
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/...e=categoryNavigation

(This post was edited by guangzhou on Nov 27, 2006, 11:57 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook