First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

sed

Nov 27, 2006, 7:54 PM
Post #26 of 95 (21894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gweaver] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

can we change the title of this post? it's kind of anonymous and insulting. Now that we know who the "person" is.
S

andychasteen

Nov 27, 2006, 8:13 PM
Post #27 of 95 (21866 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sed] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never been drawn to anyone like I was to Jimmy. That guy was always excited about everything in life, especially climbing. His zeal for life, constant smile, and fierce competitive nature made him Jimmy. His death is a huge loss to us all.
Jimmy, you will be deeply missed...........

My prayers are with family and friends.....

slacker

Nov 27, 2006, 8:47 PM
Post #28 of 95 (21825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maracas] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is such a blow to me and anyone who knew Jimmy. Although I only met him a few years ago, I feel like I've lost a life-long friend. The climbing trips we took together were some of the best times of my life. I was so looking forward to going to "The Black" again with him next year. I'll never forget our week there last year. He was a great guy and an excellent climbing partner.

My sincere condolences to family and friends.

Mike Hankins

dbcooper

Nov 27, 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #29 of 95 (21727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maracas] Jimmy Ray Forrester died in Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

we just wanted to let you guys know that we are having a climbers memorial service for jimmy at exposure climbing gym in carrollton texas on sunday december 3rd from 6p.m. to 10p.m. there will the oppurtunity to make donations and there will also be a silent auction in which you will have the chance to bid on many items including ropes, shoes and other gear that have been donated by some of the manufactures. all proceeds will go to jimmy's daughter. there will also be an onsight comp for everyone to enter at a cost of 8.00 per climber. again all proceeds will go directly to jimmy's daughter. there will also be an oppurtunity for people to speak and tell of their memories of jimmy. afterwards there will be food and refreshments here at the gym. again, my deepest condolences to jimmy's family. we all lost a true hero and great person. for information please contact the gym at (972) 732 0307.

charley

Nov 27, 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #30 of 95 (21722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacker] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did not know the man. My sincere condolences to the family and friends. It seems like this year has been hard on our community.

buddha_monkee

Nov 27, 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #31 of 95 (21681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To the family, I'm so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
And the next time I'm on the rock, I'll say a little prayer then, too.

climbin_chick

Nov 27, 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #32 of 95 (21657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chrisc425] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chris,
Words cannot even begin to describe the loss. Jimmy was a great climber and an even better friend. He will be missed so very much. I am blessed by the time we were able to spend together and will try to focus on all the fun times, as hard as that is right now.
I mentioned to nancy when I talked to her on saturday that I would really be grateful if you could get me copies of the pictures you took of Jimmy. Just give me call,

Debi

(This post was edited by climbin_chick on Nov 27, 2006, 11:39 PM)

dfranklin

Nov 27, 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #33 of 95 (21650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [8flood8] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for your response. I am one of Jimmy's other sisters. When you say he fell from one of the first pitches, how far of a fall would that be? I just need some understanding. THank you for your help and concern.

Sincerely,

Dedrea

crazywacky

Nov 27, 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #34 of 95 (21645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My sincerest condolences to all Jimmy's family and friends.

-Scott

jilldworkin

Nov 27, 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #35 of 95 (21640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [buddha_monkee] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to all of you for your kind words about Jimmy. It has been a long and dark weekend but steps are now in progress for Jimmy's return.

We thought you might like an update. Marcus left Dallas today and is going straight to the hospital. Once they have the documentation, Jimmy will be released to the funeral home. When all is completed, he and Marcus will make their last flight together. Jimmy will be at Mount Olivet funeral home in Fort Worth but no arrangements have been finalized as of yet. We will keep you updated as we have more information.

Rylie Faith Forester, Jimmy's 4 1/2 year old daughter, doesn't have any idea what great friends her daddy had.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jimmy's Mom, Dad, Mary, Jill, & Jacob (Jimmy's other sister, sister-by marriage, and nephew)

8flood8

Nov 27, 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #36 of 95 (21637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dfranklin] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dedrea,

I cannot accurately tell you, as i was not party to the discovery.

From what i heard, he was found below the beginning of the ridge and from the condition, it would appear that he fell from very high up.

my estimate would be at least 60-70 meters, but it could be a few hundred. I am very sorry to have so few details. My suggestion would be to try and get into contact with Curt, through Potreroed. Curt is still down there in mexico and i believe that Ed lives there and would be able to get him into contact with you. From what i understood, Curt was there when he was found. Again i offer my prayers and condolences, i am very sad for your loss.

dfranklin

Nov 27, 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #37 of 95 (21630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chrisc425] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am one of Jimmy's other sisters and I would really appreciate these pictures. Thank you for your kind words!

Sincerely,

Dedrea Franklin
dfranklin@ems-isd.net

chanakra

Nov 27, 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #38 of 95 (21623 views)
Shortcut

Re: Jimmy Ray Forrester died in Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh my... My own sadness and sympathy goes out to Jimmy's family. I did not get to know Jimmy, but I can see that he went on, doing something that he obviously loved so much and lived so much doing, and if that were me, I would wish to do the same, when that time came. I pray for closure and information to come forth to the family. I pray for peace for his daughter and family. Certainly he would want this.
In reply to:
Cindi

roc-dude

Nov 28, 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #39 of 95 (21606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jilldworkin] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Please keep us updated on the arrangements. Like myself, I am sure many fellow climbers from around the country would like to come pay their respects.

When I found out this morning I was in shock, Now I just heartbroken. I was just thinking of Jimmy last night and was planning on catching up with him this week.

To the whole family my prayers are with you..

John..

(This post was edited by roc-dude on Nov 28, 2006, 12:21 AM)

stuart71088

Nov 28, 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #40 of 95 (21593 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roc-dude] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If anyone has not seen it yet, Duane Raleigh, the editor of rock and ice, posted an article on the website.
http://www.rockandice.com/pages.php?action=shownewsdetail&newsId=108

ter_bee

Nov 28, 2006, 1:12 AM
Post #41 of 95 (21560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stuart71088] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

this is from the rock & ice article linked above:
In reply to:
Recently, in July, he and another homeboy, Marcus Garcia, climbed five routes in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in three days then drove to the Fisher Towers and ticked off the Titan and Echo Tower. When contacted by this magazine for details about his climbs to include in the news section, the reticent Forester replied, “Naw … you guys can find better news than us.”

isn't it sad? he thought they could find better news than his successes, even though they called him? and now they don't even wait for a new issue...?

sounds like a great guy. the thoughts of a totally irrelevant stranger are with his family, who must be very confused right now. i hope you find your answers.

ps. was it our curt? is he okay?

ClimbinRen

Nov 28, 2006, 1:57 AM
Post #42 of 95 (21515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gweaver] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GWEAVER, I got toknow Jimmy over the past couple of years he took me and friend under his wing a couple of times and we be came quite good friends in the short time I got to know him he was a geat guy and will be missedFrown. I have pictures of our climbing and have no problem sending you copies. I'm so so sorry for your loss

dfranklin

Nov 28, 2006, 2:06 AM
Post #43 of 95 (21499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [8flood8] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you so much for the information!

Sincerely,
Dedrea

alan_ellis

Nov 28, 2006, 2:06 AM
Post #44 of 95 (21499 views)
Shortcut

Re: Jimmy Ray Forrester died in Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I met Jimmy several years ago at my first Quartz gathering when I was a new climber. I never got the privilege to climb with him but spoke with him at several gatherings after that. He was a very impressive individual. Not only was he a great climber, but a genuinely nice person. He always treated everyone with respect, including new climbers, and never hesitated to offer advice or help on any climbing matter. Every time he saw me, he remembered my name and asked me how my climbing was going. I always looked forward to gatherings hoping to see him there.

He will be greatly missed.

Alan

okieterry

Nov 28, 2006, 2:29 AM
Post #45 of 95 (21464 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dfranklin] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have lots of pics of jimmy (i always tended to carry the camera). here's a couple that i have already downloaded onto rc.com. i'll get some better ones up in a couple of days.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._Paradise_36236.html

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ve_Potion_49757.html

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...acklines__36237.html

leinosaur

Nov 28, 2006, 3:12 AM
Post #46 of 95 (21415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alan_ellis] Jimmy Ray Forrester died in Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alan_ellis wrote:
Not only was he a great climber, but a genuinely nice person. He always treated everyone with respect, including new climbers, and never hesitated to offer advice or help on any climbing matter. Every time he saw me, he remembered my name and asked me how my climbing was going.

That's exactly my experience, Alan. I know him mostly second-hand, as a mentor to my good buddy Chris. His writings and the few words we ever shared nevertheless made a strong impression: intensity of a rare kind that both expects and brings out the best in others. Chris has always been on fire after a chance to climb with Jimmy.

I hope to see more of his writing, somehow. From what I can tell, as a chronicler of Wichitas climbing he knows no parallel.

Peace and Strength to his family and close friends.

aja

Nov 28, 2006, 3:41 AM
Post #47 of 95 (21386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [leinosaur] Jimmy Ray Forrester died in Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As I sit here and write this I am regretfully acknowledging what I have prayed and wished for these past days not to be true.

I have lost my best friend, my partner, my hero, my inspiration, my motivation and my heart. He was my pillar to lean on when I wasn't strong enough to stand on my own.

When you met Jimmy, you knew you had a genuine friend, it was that automatic.

I was blessed several years ago to become his friend.

As I stood at the base of a limestone cliff, I looked up and saw this man, putting up a route. There I was with my new shoes and harness...I was a noob. This was my first time outside. My very first words to him were, "can I climb with you?"
He looked down at me and said, "well sure!" With that, "thin lipped grin" you know the one.

I probably should have been a bit intimidated, but not knowing that this man was The Jimmy Forester, "Mr. Wichita Mountains." Later would I learn, I just met the most amazing person, that I would ever know!

A couple years later, we partnered up and climbed in the hot summers of Oklahoma and Texas. During that time, he fondly referred to it as "Summer Lava." Jimmy was never a fair weathered climber nor was he a fair weathered friend. He was there, always, whenever and whatever the need was, even if you were a complete stranger, he greeted you with a smile larger than life, simply because he was!

We were together Tuesday morning, the day before he left. I would like to share with you a message from Jimmy during part of our conversation. I believe that there is something in this message for everyone. He asked me, "do you have room for improvement?" I said, "well yes, yes I do." He said "and I do too, we all have room to improve ourselves, room to improve who we are and what we do and how we treat people and how we can improve the way we love, share and grow."

If you know Jimmy, than you know he is intensely passionate about life, more than anyone I have ever known. He is passionate about his climbing and FOREVER exploring, his beloved "Beta Base" his guides, his stories, his family his daughter Rylie, his mother and father, his beloved brother Joel, ALL of his sisters, his nephew Jacob, his cousins, his aunts and uncles and his partners and friends, animals, reptiles, flowers, cactus's, the list is endless! Jimmy loves life! He is full of it and everyone around him is supported by his breath. But when it came to love, he loves without fear, without inhibition. He loves with his heart completely, crazy, wildly, madly and true. He loves unconditionally and without regret. And that is what he taught me, to love without fear, love with compassion, love with forgiveness!!! Look at your family, friends, loved ones and your children, open your hearts and allow to love and to be loved!

In a recent email that he sent to me, he wrote, "I will always be waiting in the wings for you." Now he waits with wings.

This pain is unimaginable and devastating. I cannot accept it. When I close my eyes, I still see him, smiling and laughing, I see him with his sunkissed blond hair. I hear his voice. I feel him. I know he is safe, but gosh, I miss him!

Please pray for his family, his mother, his sisters, his daughter, his nephew, his dear friends. Jimmy is EVERYTHING to SO many people.

This pain will never go away, this pain will stay deep within my soul.
But what I do have is his love, which I carry in my heart, forever and ever and ever.

Jimmy Ray, I miss you, I love you and I know that your okay and I will see you again.
xoxoXOXOxoxo
aj
Andrea' LaVasseur

For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day-and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

(This post was edited by aja on Dec 7, 2006, 5:23 PM)

jilldworkin

Nov 28, 2006, 5:17 AM
Post #48 of 95 (21311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roc-dude] Person dead in Potrero [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Please keep us updated on the arrangements. Like myself, I am sure many fellow climbers from around the country would like to come pay their respects.

John...and all of Jimmy's other numerous friends here...while we are not able plan specifics yet we do know that we are going to plan a "celebration of life" in Fort Worth and partipate in a memorial service at what we are told is beautiful spot in the Wichitas...I will let all of you know as soon as we have any details because we would love for you to come.

kinz

Nov 28, 2006, 8:52 AM
Post #49 of 95 (21264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aja] Jimmy Ray Forrester died in Potrero Chico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my sincerest condolences go out to jimmy's family. jimmy was a very very special individual and i cant begin to express the impact that jimmy has had on me. his example has been a source of inspiration since i started climbing and will continue to be so. this is a great loss

blue_halcyon

Nov 28, 2006, 2:37 PM
Post #50 of 95 (21209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at EPC from Wednesday through Sunday over the Thanksgiving holiday. It was my understanding Jimmy set out Friday morning to climb "Scariest Ride in the Park." This climb starts at the Suicide Overlook in the Virgin Canyon and climbs the ridge line to the summit of El Toro. This ridge line, as magic ed pointed out already, is x-rated for very good reasons. A lot of rock is loose and, hence, inherently unstable. IMHO, it is totally out of bounds due to the inherent life-threatening danger it imposes. Once a climber hikes up the trail (stair case) in the Virgin Canyon to the Overlook, the Overlook is already ~30 -40 meters off the deck (on the EL Toro side). As another suggested, I seriously doubt Jimmy had on a heavy pack. It's speculated Jimmy, more or less, just begin the climb and then tragedy ensued.

One of the annual epc trash pick-ups was held Saturday afternoon around 2 -2:30 pm and his body was found a short time after. His body was found close to the base of the beginning of the climb, almost 1.5 days later. I seriously doubt he was even a few pitches into the climb. He probably fell anywhere from 50 - 75 meters.

My condolences to his family and friend. I did not know him.

(This post was edited by blue_halcyon on Nov 28, 2006, 3:09 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook