RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

wilmingtonrockclimb

Jul 12, 2004, 12:44 AM
Post #1 of 17 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Smelly Shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I bought these used from a demo for 40 bucks. There better then rental shoes, there snug but don't hurt much which I like. However they smell up what ever room their in and airing them out dosen't do anything. O like the shoe I just wish there were something to kill the stench.
And ha ha, If you wanna type burn them they suck.

the_antoon

Jul 12, 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #2 of 17 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Re: Smelly Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there is no cure...period!!!

neomagi

Jul 12, 2004, 1:08 AM
Post #3 of 17 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try febreze, it does wonders, even kills the smell in rental shoes. then just use a normal foot spray to help keep the smell from coming back.

iclimblilrocks

Jul 12, 2004, 9:16 PM
Post #4 of 17 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dont use lysol it doesnt help at all... i think that all climbing shoes reak of stensh

areyoumydude

Jul 12, 2004, 9:43 PM
Post #5 of 17 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use rubbing alcohol deluted with water in a spray bottle. It WILL kill the stink.

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 12, 2004, 9:45 PM
Post #6 of 17 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saturate the insides with Lysol, then allowthem to dry in the shade... Works for me. :wink:

Partner coylec

Jul 12, 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #7 of 17 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

odor eaters.

coylec

powder_dreams

Jul 12, 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #8 of 17 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard that washing shoes in a washer on delicate does them no harm. Anyone tried this?

MC

Partner slacklinejoe

Jul 12, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #9 of 17 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those interested, I finally found a formula that actually does knock out the stink in all of the climbing shoes I've tested it in (so far about 20 pair). It's been very effective. A light spray after each sweaty session and the funk stays gone.

My shoes were pretty bad, I've soaked them in alcohol, it came back after just sitting in my closet. Until now, that was the only thing that had much of an effect on my climbing shoes and leather sandals.

I've tried washing, baking soda, dryer sheets, febreeze, freezing, totally soaking in lysol, leaving a fan on it for a week straight and nothing really helped. Shy of burning the wretched things I decided to do a bit of research.

From what I can tell the biggest reason that our shoes stink (beyond the obvious feet in them) is that cleaners don't absorb into the leather very well, just the surface with open pores. On a hunch I tried something that is a combination of stuff that works as "leather food" to condition leather that had antibacterial/antifungal properties - and success no more funk (and the leather was conditioned to boot).

Before I consider offering it, I want to get some testers of the formula and do a little research study on how effective it is. I'm willing to give the stuff away (spray bottle & enough for several treatments) on the understanding that they'd have to provide feedback on how effective it is for them.

The first ten people who are interested should PM me.
Requirements: your shoes must actually smell, you should have tried other things to get rid of the smell that didn't work and you'll cover shipping cost (should be minimal).

iclimblilrocks

Jul 15, 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #10 of 17 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

does it really get rid of the smell?? my shoes stink so bad that I almost dont want to put them in the car with me.. I've tried lysol, and other methods of getting rid of the smell but nothing works! I havent tried alcohal and water yet. I might give that a try...

Partner slacklinejoe

Jul 15, 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #11 of 17 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does it really work? Well so far it's worked to at least drastically reduce it in every pair we've tested so far. Most it's completely eliminated it, but it took several applications (even while climbing in between applications) before it was completely gone.

I've still got a few spots left for freebies for testing - if you want to give it a try it won't cost but like $4.50 max for shipping and I even throw in a good quality resusable spray bottle with it. It works wonders on leather sandals too.

kklingman

Dec 3, 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #12 of 17 (4718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Smelly Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been looking through these threads and i've tried a number of the supposed remedies for getting the stink out and none have worked. i tried using that odor eaters spray powder, no good. i also used some dish detergent, with a toothbrush and a little water. it got rid of some of the smell, but not all. i can still smell the stink just by holding the shoe out in front of me. any other ideas? is that product you're mentioning available for purchase yet? i'd like to get my hands on some.

cintune

Dec 3, 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #13 of 17 (4699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kklingman] Smelly Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fill them with baking soda, put them in a paper bag and then put the bag in the freezer for 2 or 3 days. This totally works.

kklingman

Dec 4, 2006, 5:27 AM
Post #14 of 17 (4652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cintune] Smelly Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone ever try Paxton's Climbing Cleaner? It's supposed to be specifically for cleaning climbing shoes. I just found the website. www.paxtoniscool.com. i'm thinking of getting some. anyone have this and if so how does it work for you?

bill413

Dec 4, 2006, 2:37 PM
Post #15 of 17 (4631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kklingman] Smelly Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just remember - once you do get the odor reduced or eliminated, let them dry thorougly after each use. That means don't throw them in your pack - let them air out on the outside.

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 4, 2006, 3:01 PM
Post #16 of 17 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Smelly Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Since somone resurrected this thread and I got a few more PMs I figured I might as well mention that I decided not to persue the deoderant spray. Too many other companies jumped into the market just before us so we figured we'd best stick to slacklines.

My best suggestions after all of the research we did into the topic:
* The stuff from Paxton
* A high quality leather cleaner (only on real leather shoes)
* The cat urine microbial treatment from the pet store

I never found anything good for synthetic shoes other than religious air drying after use.

The formula we were working with simply wasn't easily available to purchase so we nix'ed the whole project. The closest chemical to what we were using is available at: JVS Solutions It's Glyco-Mist.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Dec 4, 2006, 4:13 PM)

schveety

Dec 4, 2006, 4:05 PM
Post #17 of 17 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wilmingtonrockclimb] Smelly Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have yet to try this method, but I have friends that swear by it: use 1/8th teaspoon of boric acid (apparently you can buy the powder in pharmacies) and sprinkle it in your shoe and let it soak in and dry...... boric acid does kill insects - so perhaps it will work on the creatures growing in your shoe

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook