RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

aarong

Dec 4, 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Best hammer for hand drilling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Replacing my current hammer and I'm looking at the BD hammer or Omega hammer. Any others?

This is primarily for hand drilling bolts - 3/8" in granite. Currently I use this mean looking finger-smasher hammer that is in no way climbing related - I forget how I acquired it, it works but it's a little big. Also have an old smaller chouinard hammer - I use it for smaller jobs.

Please reply only if you have experience hand-drilling bolts. Thanks.

strider

Dec 5, 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aarong] Best hammer for hand drilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For an education on the finer points of hammers used in climbing, check these 3 links and read the threads. The poster named deuce4 is John Middendorf, founder of A5 and quite knowledgable in climbing hardware design. There are also quite a few of qualified individuals discussing good hammer design. Hopefully through this you can decide for yourself which hammer you like the best. You are going to have to wade through a bunch of crap, but it will pay off with you being able to make the most informaed decision regarding a new hammer purchase.

-n

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=65904

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=66596&tn=0

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=151177&tn=0

roninthorne

Dec 5, 2006, 1:23 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had to laugh at the description of your hammer... it brought back memories of repetitively injouring myself while hand drilling a line out near Queen Creek, years ago. The hammer was and still is an ash-handled 2 pound monster that my grandfather had used as a stonemason back in the days of the Civilian Conservation Corps.

Since then, that leviathon has retired to be replaced by a 1.25 lb Estwing masonry hammer. It ain't the newest thing on the market, and no climbing company made a penny from it. But it works, it's small and still packs enough of a punch to do the job in quartzite sandstone or granite.

I'm no Middendorf, but I have drilled a number of boltholes by hand, from stance, and have been in construction for the last couple of decades, and then some. I know a thing or two about hammers, and in the end it's what works for you.

strider

Dec 5, 2006, 8:01 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Best hammer for hand drilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have drilled more than a few holes myself. I own a BD Yose hammer myself. But it is uaually about what "works" for you but some times it should "be about what "works best" for you.

The purpose of the info from Middendorf, et al was that there you will find out what the most important aspects of a wall hammer are and you will get more bang for your buck.

That 2 lb beast from your grandfather "worked" for you but was it the best solution? Just trying to point the guy in the right direction.

-n

roninthorne

Dec 5, 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [strider] Best hammer for hand drilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No offense meant or taken, bro... just assuring the man that I had actually hand-drilled, and that I knew what worked when it came to hammers... what "works", and what "works best". For me, the solution wasn't a hammer created by a climbing company.

unabonger

Dec 5, 2006, 11:54 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Best hammer for hand drilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hilti?

catbird_seat

Dec 5, 2006, 5:57 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder if anyone has tried a titanium hammer. I believe that they are significanly lighter than steel hammers, yet deliver a blow of equal magnitude. The only ones I am aware of are carpenters hammers and all have a long handle and a claw.

trenchdigger

Dec 5, 2006, 6:03 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [catbird_seat] Best hammer for hand drilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

catbird_seat wrote:
I wonder if anyone has tried a titanium hammer. I believe that they are significanly lighter than steel hammers, yet deliver a blow of equal magnitude. The only ones I am aware of are carpenters hammers and all have a long handle and a claw.

Interesting, but this would kind of defy the laws of physics... Lighter, maybe, but you need mass to get significant impact. Unfortunately I don't have any additional feedback on the subject as I have no experience drilling on lead.

catbird_seat

Dec 5, 2006, 6:07 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Best hammer for hand drilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
catbird_seat wrote:

Interesting, but this would kind of defy the laws of physics... Lighter, maybe, but you need mass to get significant impact. Unfortunately I don't have any additional feedback on the subject as I have no experience drilling on lead.
No, it does not defy the laws of physics. The kinetic energy of a hammer blow is never imparted 100% to the object it strikes. Some of the energy goes into vibration of the handle, etc. What you want is an completely elastic collision. Titanium happens to be more efficient than steel. A lighter tool also can be swung faster so that the kinetic energy is equivalent.

codhands

Dec 5, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OOOOHHHHH YEAHHHHHH!!!!!
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...81-largest_76115.jpg

(This post was edited by codhands on Dec 5, 2006, 6:23 PM)

trenchdigger

Dec 5, 2006, 6:50 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [catbird_seat] Best hammer for hand drilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

catbird_seat wrote:
No, it does not defy the laws of physics. The kinetic energy of a hammer blow is never imparted 100% to the object it strikes. Some of the energy goes into vibration of the handle, etc. What you want is an completely elastic collision. Titanium happens to be more efficient than steel. A lighter tool also can be swung faster so that the kinetic energy is equivalent.
True energy is lost to vibration, but the vibration loss should be more closely related to the handle design (shape and material) than solely the head material.

And yes, a small amount of impact is lost due to deformation. But how is Ti more "efficient" if Ti has a much lower modulus of elasticity than steel. Some higher end Ti hammers even have steel striking surfaces, though I'd presume more for durability than anything.

Ti makes the head lighter and maybe easier to pound in a bunch of nails. But when your goal is to chisel a 3/8" round hole in granite, I'd argue that a heavier hammer is going to make the job easier. To a point, of course, with the limiting factor being your endurance while swinging the hammer. I would guess most people would be most efficient with a hammer in the 1-2 lb range.

catbird_seat

Dec 5, 2006, 7:01 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Best hammer for hand drilling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no idea whether Ti is better for drilling holes. All I know is that Ti hammers drive nails way better than steel ones.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook