RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

playouts1de

Dec 6, 2006, 8:09 AM
Post #1 of 14 (760 views)
Shortcut

La Sportiva Katana
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone with experiance in these shoes? I just picked up a pair....whew...and the tears are still present. They hurt. Going to ride it out, but I just wanted to know what other people think of this shoe? Note, I do NOT subscribe to the better shoe=higher grade mantra, but I do understand the need to knuckle and keep it tight for more technical routes.

So, whos worn the shoe?

daniel_c

Dec 6, 2006, 8:46 AM
Post #2 of 14 (754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [playouts1de] La Sportiva Katana [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought these shoes this summer and my impression is quite positive overall. I had some pain at the beginning (first 10-15 climbing days), but now it's gone. Edging is very good in my opinion, as well as heel-hooking, but I'm NO expert with tons of experience with different shoes.

On the downside, the rubber is wearing off very quickly. But I'll resole for next season.

Overall, I think my impressions pretty much reflect what most other people were thinking (see the gear review). My next shoe will be the Anasazi Lace-up, to vary a bit. But I would go for the Katana anytime again.

Partner heiko

Dec 6, 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #3 of 14 (738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if they fit you, these are among the best shoes around. would never want anything else. most ppl I know have converted to them.

alpine_chris

Dec 6, 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #4 of 14 (735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just can support what the others wrote. The Katana is a really good shoe. The sole wears down a bit fast, but all in all a great shoe.

wilson

Dec 6, 2006, 3:06 PM
Post #5 of 14 (691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpine_chris] La Sportiva Katana [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

decent shoe. i bought them on sale and hoped they would be as good as my muiras as they are supposedly built on the same last. this is, however, not the case. the katana does not allow for aggressive focus on the toe, which in my mind stands out as the primo feature of the muiras. other than that the shoe is great for heelhooking, edging, etc.. but i'd suggest the muiras if you have a hankering for the steep climbing.

tw

seric

Dec 6, 2006, 3:32 PM
Post #6 of 14 (682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm wearing my second pair. They are painful at first, then ease up for great edging and hooking, and are better than many other shoes i've worn.

In addition to what was said, they are not optimal to use in cracks or in pure friction slab.

wings

Dec 6, 2006, 3:44 PM
Post #7 of 14 (673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the shoe fits, wear it.

I've gone through maybe a half dozen pairs of Katanas (plus resoles), and for a long time they were my favourite shoes. Good edging, mediocre heel hooking (my heels did not fit properly, but it was the best I could find), mediocre durability (I've had more than one pair have problems with the sole peeling off).

I now wear the Evolv Defy. Similar rand (from what I could tell), but softer fabric so a bit more form fitting.

- Seyil

Dec 6, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #8 of 14 (650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wings] La Sportiva Katana [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my first pair of serious shoes was a pair of Katanas, and I freakin love em. They have gone through one resole already. Also if they hurt right off just from being tight that's pretty normal with Sportivas. Since they make their shoes out of actual leather and not synthetics they stretch out quite a bit, which produces this great custom fit, just makes breaking in a b*tch. But basically, Katanas rule, they're good at everything.

(This post was edited by Points on Dec 6, 2006, 4:16 PM)

duppyc

Dec 6, 2006, 4:18 PM
Post #9 of 14 (646 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpine_chris] La Sportiva Katana [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought and used my first pair yesterday, I really enjoyed the experience. Also, I am impressed with the sizing of this brand, seems to be consistent among their different models. However, anyone know where a homie can get a pair for less than $100??

acherry

Dec 6, 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #10 of 14 (629 views)
Shortcut

Re: [duppyc] La Sportiva Katana [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I LOVE mine. I've been in my wns Katanas for about 1yr. They did need to be resoled sooner than my big sturdy clunkers... but they're worth it. I get pressure points on both big toes ... and because its caused by the rand it hasn't improve an ounce since I got them. This I also dont mind because they perform so well. I just have really really low volume feet so they are kinda short on me for how wide they feel.

hirvimaki

Dec 6, 2006, 5:05 PM
Post #11 of 14 (619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acherry] La Sportiva Katana [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just switched from Chilis to Kats (and went down another 2 sizes) and they do have horrible pressure points on my big toes. They hurt, but perform very well. We'll see how they hold out.

Partner brent_e

Dec 6, 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #12 of 14 (586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that shoe stretched a bit and conforms really really well for my feet. I just LOVE IT. No rough spots inside and they have held up. Good rubber, too. just terrific.

Brent

caughtinside

Dec 6, 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #13 of 14 (582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hirvimaki] La Sportiva Katana [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The katanas are my favorite shoe of the about 8 or so that I've owned, I've tried on more than that. Favorite because they fit my foot better than anything else, and have held their fit. And by fit, I mean they fit nearly perfectly. They do NOT hurt, and my foot does NOT move in them. I don't believe in sizing so tight your feet hurt.

That said, I try to take them off every pitch.

They are a leather shoe, but they have a synthetically lined forefoot, so don't expect much stretch there. If your feet hurt bad now, they will likely continue to hurt.

Someone said they weren't the best for slab or crack climbing. I'd disagree. They're my favorite slab and crack shoes. However, the front buckle of the velcro on both shoes is getting worn from stuffing them in cracks. but that's an easy fix at any shoe repair shop.

Favorite shoes. its all about the fit.

akclimbergrl

Dec 7, 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #14 of 14 (571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have these shoes. Not my favorite pair but I have a weird foot. They deffinatly killed my foot at the beginning but they strech out A LOT. You'll get used to them.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook