RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

dmullen86

Dec 5, 2006, 8:23 PM
Post #1 of 17 (1036 views)
Shortcut

My Montrail shoe died.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My Montrail Cruiser bit the dust yesterday. The leather upper inexplicably broke.

Right now, I think I'm going to ask for a different shoe if I get a refund. I tried on quite a few, and had it narrowed down to these ones"

Montrail Method- only $10 more than what I paid for the Cruiser; I'm a beginner, though.

Montrail Magnet- really comfortable, but $30 more.

La Sportiva Mythos- Also comfortable, but I thought that it was the least responsive of the pack.

So, what do you guys think? I'm fairly new to rock climbing, and would like as much input as possible.

Furthermore, has anyone else had this trouble with the discontinued Montrail shoes? It could just be me and a flaw in the leather, but I'm really leery towards buying another pair of Cruisers.

Thanks!

playouts1de

Dec 5, 2006, 8:49 PM
Post #2 of 17 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dmullen86] My Montrail shoe died. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a pair of Indexes fall a little short. The velcro quit working and I didnt like the rubber all that much, however, the fit was GREAT! Montrail has offered to fix them on warranty, so I am pretty happy.

In MY Humble Opinion:

The shoes you have selected are a little more advanced than the shoe you started with. I think the magnet has a down turned toe, which could mean a thinner last and a lot more discomfort for a type of climbing that you may not even be ready for. It is the lace up version of the Wasabi if you want more information. As for the method, its a slipper which could also mean a really thin last. These shoes could be great if your feet are ready for that kind of strengthening.

I really cant stand Montrails descriptions of their shoes on the site, just for informations sake.

The Mythos is almost a household name as far as shoes are concerned. Very comfortable and very durable. One thing to note however is that the leather in these shoes is very stretchy and you could gain in the upwards of two sizes by the time theyre done stretching, so buy really tight. Im only a partial advocate of pain=gain in climbing shoes, and it doesnt apply with this shoe, but buy it as tight as you can get in it because it WILL stretch like mad.

Funny that you post this, I am returning my indexes in today for repair and just bought Sportiva Katana's. Test run is tonight!

You might look into the orbit if you have access to Montrail shoes. Its a knuckled shoe, but a comfortable one to start with, its the lace up version of the Index, which more than solves the problem I experienced with the velcro.

Good Luck!

mosler

Dec 5, 2006, 8:51 PM
Post #3 of 17 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the same thing happen to my Cruiser. The leather tore near the front, next to the first lace hole, and just got bigger. I think it happened when I jammed a crack and twisted, causing it to rip. Oh well, gave it to my friend and I think he took it to a shoe repair store and had it stitched.

Partner j_ung

Dec 5, 2006, 8:52 PM
Post #4 of 17 (1006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I'd advise against the Method right now. Go with the Magnet or Mythos.

dmullen86

Dec 5, 2006, 9:08 PM
Post #5 of 17 (990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] My Montrail shoe died. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah. . . the biggest advantage to the Method is that it's the cheapest of the bunch. Cool

I figure I can adjust if need be. My feet are fairly tough, but I had a hard time walking in the Methods. The downturn on the Magnet really didn't bother me.

dlintz

Dec 5, 2006, 9:23 PM
Post #6 of 17 (974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know 2 people who had the leather literally tear near the front of the shoe. It happened to one of them in the first hour of wearing. Both had bought the Gymbo model.

d.

overit

Dec 5, 2006, 9:49 PM
Post #7 of 17 (956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Montrail got bought by Columbia and fired their reps. Boycott Montrail!!

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 6, 2006, 3:54 PM
Post #8 of 17 (900 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overit] My Montrail shoe died. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

overit wrote:

Uhm, that might be a bit premature. I had to return a set of my Montrail goretex trail running shoes a month ago (zipper broke) and they set me up with an upgrade since the model was no longer available. It's not like Columbia is *that* bad they just offer a lot of cheap crap, but also have some semi-decent more expensive stuff.

If you decide to go with the Mythos (which I have & do like a lot) still return the Montrails, have them warrantied and then resell them as new on Ebay to help pay for the difference.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Dec 6, 2006, 3:55 PM)

boombewm

Dec 6, 2006, 4:07 PM
Post #9 of 17 (892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] My Montrail shoe died. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone owned a pair of Montrail shoes that didn't break? I bought some Splitters about 2 years ago. I had 3 replaced in a the first year due to the upper ripping out, Those little lace loops breaking, pull tabs busting. And every shoe had some wicked delamination, and I don't think I was climbing that bad. And my first pair of Hardrocks I had to return within a week due to heel collapsing everytime i would step.

I really like the customer service though, they have always replaced faulty products from everyone that i've heard that has had problems. And my new(er) pair of Hardrock wides are amazing.

Partner alexmac

Dec 6, 2006, 4:34 PM
Post #10 of 17 (872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mosler] My Montrail shoe died. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mosler wrote:
I had the same thing happen to my Cruiser. The leather tore near the front, next to the first lace hole, and just got bigger. I think it happened when I jammed a crack and twisted, causing it to rip. Oh well, gave it to my friend and I think he took it to a shoe repair store and had it stitched.

Montrails, quality has gone down hill, much like north face has really tanked. Thats climbing , hiking and other shoes, don't even bother, with any of them for shoe products.

Partner alexmac

Dec 6, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #11 of 17 (870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] My Montrail shoe died. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I think I'd advise against the Method right now. Go with the Magnet or Mythos.

I do not know why, but I hated the mythos just to look at it, damn ugly shoe; BUT, at the climb I wear them all day totally solid shoe.

noell

Dec 6, 2006, 4:44 PM
Post #12 of 17 (865 views)
Shortcut

Re:My Montrail shoe died. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going to just copy and paste an email I sent to a Montrail rep about my shoes in February of this year. Names are going to be taken out. And just FYI - I have since worn LA Sportiva shoes (which our local rep had sent to me in several sizes to try on, amazing service, and the rubber on my Testasorsa's - that have been worn since I tossed the Montrails in February - has held up remarkably!!!)

""""From: "Noell Seagle" <noellseagle@hotmail.com>
To: xxx@msn.com
Subject: To (Montrail Rep)-
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:54:39 -0500

Hey xxx, it's Noell, blondish climbing chic that frequents the NRG. I have a question for you, or rather, a story of sorts, and just wanted to get some feedback from a Montrail rep.

My story:

I have worn the Montrail Zealot for over a year, ever since a friend told me that they were a great aggressive shoe for people with narrow feet. And indeed, they fit awesome! I've had several pair over the past year and a half, and have worn them at Maple Canyon, during my NRG/Red River road trip this fall, and bouldering at Rocktown. LRC and Lilly at the Obed this winter. I plan to take them with me out west this summer, to Wyoming, Utah and Colorado. They've done great in all places and I hope continue to do so!

Here is my concern. I tend to toe in alot, don't use alot of heal hooks. The toes on ALL of my shoes wear through in a really odd way - the rubber peels, kinda like an onion. In fact, one pair peeled down so that I can see the fabric under the rubber! It makes toeing in and trusting the shoes really difficult as they start to wear in this way.

Is this a common issue? I understand that rubber will wear, but the way in which they are wearing is what is concerning to me, and how quickly the rubber starts to peel. For instance, the pair I am wearing now aren't that old, and have only gotten 2-3 days of wear (outside only) on average per week. The rest of the shoe is in fantastic shape, looks almost new. But the toes... they are a-peelin'! I've had several people comment, and ask me about them.

I apologize for the ramble, but I wanted to get some feedback from a Montrail rep, and to let you know about my experience with the shoe.

Thanks!
Noell """""

""""
Noell,

We have seen some of this on the very first production run of the zealot two years ago. All runs since have been done differently and fixes the problem. If they do this and they are still semi new, then i would send them in to montrail and see what the warranty people say. Chances are they may replace them but that is their call. I would try the wasabi, the new velcrow slipper, fits narrow feet with memory foam over your toes, footbed and heel...
Check them out.
Cheers,
Rep """"

Okay. So... the question of the rubber wasn't addressed because I said that the shoes continue to peel, EVEN on my NEW shoes. And I was told to get a new shoe, a new kind of shoe, when I wasn't even sold on the shoe I had.

I didn't like the performance of the Montrail rubber. I haven't tried any of their newer shoes (Magnets, etc.) because Sportiva really sold me on their shoes and that rubber has performed SO well I don't have to look anywhere else.

So in the end, My Montrail Shoe"s" died, and I moved on and bought Sportiva. And I haven't looked back since. LOVE my Sportiva shoes!

clausti

Dec 6, 2006, 4:57 PM
Post #13 of 17 (856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

overit wrote:

that's actually not true. or, it is not totally true. The only montrail rep i know is still a montrail rep since the switch and has been one for a while.

the magnets do not have a down turned toe. they are a stiff, flat laceup that is superb for face climbing.

OP, if you are a beginner climber, i would strongly advise against the methods unless pretty much the only thing you do is climb overhanging boulders. i cant walk in mine either.

the wasabi on the other hand, are a more flexible shoe, synthetic uppers, the new run has way better velcro then last year when they first came out. i'm on my third pair. i liked the zealots, and i like the wasabis even better. haha, i even crack climbed in them a bunch this summer. yay for using the shoe for its intended purpose? or not?

organic

Dec 6, 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #14 of 17 (829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everyone I know who climbs in Montrail shoes receives them for free or a discount heh.

I have tried Montrail shoes and have come to only one conclusion...

5.10.4.lyfe!

masonjar

Dec 7, 2006, 3:08 AM
Post #15 of 17 (799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

over the past few years, montrail has had a few problems with their rubber delaming around the toe. They have fixed this problem. I currently own three different pairs of montrail shoes, the Magnet, Wasabi, and the approach shoe CTC. I LOVE THEM ALL!!!!
As for the pick of shoe, I have experience that whatever fits you best is your best bet!!!
hope this helps!!!

overit

Dec 7, 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #16 of 17 (772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] My Montrail shoe died. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Montrail did in fact fire their reps and gave the accounts to the Sorel reps also owned by Columbia at least in the Rocky Mountain territory.
Sportivas rule anyway!

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 7, 2006, 6:18 PM
Post #17 of 17 (744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

overit wrote:
Montrail did in fact fire their reps and gave the accounts to the Sorel reps also owned by Columbia at least in the Rocky Mountain territory.

Some of you guys are hammering on them about this, but I really don't understand why.

From a business perspective did you actually expect them to keep all of the columbia reps + all of the montrail reps and just cut their losses? Sure, it sucks if you or somone you knew lost their job b/c of it, but it happens all of the time.

Columbia runs their business differently and their reps are already trained on those methods, so they probably needed to let most of the montrail reps go except for a few of the best performing ones.

Frankly, I've had good customer support from both companies so I'm not too worried about that side of things. Now on the other hand, if Montrails product quality starts slipping (even more) due to the aquisition, that's an entirely different story.

In reality climbing shoe quality wise I like Evolv a little better than La Sportiva, but the difference isn't much. I've not climbed in any montrails other than rentals so I can't really judge them on that front, but I do own several pairs of Montrail and Columbia hiking / running shoes and I do like them all.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook