RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

lady_moses

Nov 14, 2006, 8:15 AM
Post #1 of 16 (1536 views)
Shortcut

Would like to get into climbing....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My husband and I have been tossing around the idea of trying out rock climbing for a few months now. I have been reading everything I possibly can on the internet and I think the best way for us to get started would be to take some outdoor classes. Neither of us have any experience whatsoever. I found a place called High Plains Outdoor out of Laramie,Wy that has a wide assortment of classes. During the classes they also take the students out to Vedauwoo which is apparently a great place to climb from what I've read. Anyway...I was wondering if anyone had any experience with High Plains Outdoor and had some feedback about how good they are.

Partner macherry

Nov 14, 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #2 of 16 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lady_moses] Would like to get into climbing.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you might want make an inquiry in the mountain states partner's forum.

Partner alexmac

Nov 15, 2006, 3:27 PM
Post #3 of 16 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are many places that take people out in "intro to rock climbing" and having a guided approach is the right course if you have zero knowledge.

What you should expect?

Gear wise, they should gear you up completely. IN that they will take care of helmet, harness and setup of ropes, etc.

Most expect you to bring your own food and water, though some do bring lunch. Do not expect a water source nearby , but ask the company.

Price ranges can vary, given in canadian dollars , ranging from 75 dollars to 250. Remember to state your new to climbing a good guide will know some very good begnneer walls.

Alternative aproach
An indoor gym, 30 bucks for a lesson on belaying, gear rental and a day of climbing. I'd expect to last 1 hr of climbing though if you "pump out".

Never worry about being good when you start. Just enjoy the experience.

DustOff

Nov 18, 2006, 6:37 AM
Post #4 of 16 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexmac] Would like to get into climbing.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im also interested in rock climbing. It started at basic training. I have some knowledge of the gear but kinda stuck on the rope... If someone could please tell me what to look for...

thulani

Nov 19, 2006, 9:11 PM
Post #5 of 16 (1345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plese do it now. Do not hesitate. I took far too many years to start climbing. You may have a problem in that you will probably partner up with you husband who knows as much as you do. I was forced by circumstance to go out with people far more experienced than me, which resulted in me learning from them stuff I would never have known otherwise. I didn't take any classes or courses I just arrived one night at the local mountain club meet and said I want to climb. Three weeks later I took a nice swing across a slab on a trad climb (I did eventually make it to the top though). I now schedule my life around when I can go climbing again.

I think it's probably a good idea to go for outdoor classes, outdoors is far more satisfying. Also join the local mountain club. You'll find cheap beer and lots of other climbers, usually they go on regular meets so you can join them and get first hand experience. Do it now, send that email sign up and don't look back. And don't forget the mountain club.

lady_moses

Nov 20, 2006, 3:29 AM
Post #6 of 16 (1334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thulani] Would like to get into climbing.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How do I find out where a local mountain club would be? I've never even heard of one. My husband and I started climbing at an indoor wall yesterday. It's only a few minutes from our house so I figured it would be a good way to start getting myself in shape for climbing outside. I had a blast! I love it already even though I'm in terrible shape.

Partner alexmac

Nov 20, 2006, 3:59 AM
Post #7 of 16 (1332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How do I find out where a local mountain club would be? I've never even heard of one. My husband and I started climbing at an indoor wall yesterday. It's only a few minutes from our house so I figured it would be a good way to start getting myself in shape for climbing outside. I had a blast! I love it already even though I'm in terrible shape.

The "routes" database has climbing links to the local area as well as routes to climb, try there first.

thulani

Nov 23, 2006, 12:00 PM
Post #8 of 16 (1248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had a mad week. My advice is ask the people at the gym, if they're worth their salt they know about the local mountain club. Down here in africa the artifcial walls seem to be populated mostly with people who climb outdoors regularly and are members of one of the mountain clubs. If there's big rocks in the area I don't see why there wouldn't be a local mountain club. But the post about checking the website is a good one I think. It took me a good few months to track down the club here.

lady_moses

Nov 28, 2006, 4:35 AM
Post #9 of 16 (1161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only problem about asking people at the gym is....there haven't been any people at the gym since we started going. We've been going to a gym on an Air Force Base so it's not like the general public has access to it. The woman who gave us our belay class is in charge of the whole gym(rock wall,batting cages,dance studio,boxing ring,laser tag,etc) so she doesn't exactly have a ton of time to talk. We live about 30 minutes from Vedauwoo which seems to be a pretty big climbing area from what I understand. But so far I haven't come across anyone else who climbs. Any other ideas?

thulani

Nov 28, 2006, 9:04 PM
Post #10 of 16 (1132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Um. Well. My advice. Track down someone from that area. Since you're in america I'm sure someone on this forum is a regular there - PM them and ask if there is a club or something in the area. Pity about the lack of other climbers at your climbing gym, I find having other climbers around is good for motivation and technique (not climbing at all for the next 6 weeks since I fractured my foot tho). Anyway from down here on the Southern tip of the Dark continent its hard for me to say. Maybe just post a "looking for climbers from Vedauwoo" post in general. Thats all I got I'm afraid. I hate being grounded. BTW 30 min is nothing the nearest real rocks to me are almost an hours drive.

lady_moses

Nov 29, 2006, 2:27 AM
Post #11 of 16 (1113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well...thanks for taking the time to respond! I can use any advice I can get right now.

sraja

Dec 5, 2006, 3:11 AM
Post #12 of 16 (1041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, shoot me for asking a question that has probably been asked several times before. Smile

I learnt skydiving this summer / fall and now with winter here, I need another high adrenaline sport to keep me alive. Rock climbing seems perfect. The problem is how and where do I start? I scanned through some of the earlier posts and I can't quite grasp this concept of a partner. I mean isn't there a school where I go to and watch people climb and then get an instructor to teach me and progress through levels. I apologize for being such a dumb ass but thanks in advance for taking your time to educate me.

acollins

Dec 5, 2006, 3:27 AM
Post #13 of 16 (1036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sraja] Would like to get into climbing.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sraja wrote:
Ok, shoot me for asking a question that has probably been asked several times before. Smile

I learnt skydiving this summer / fall and now with winter here, I need another high adrenaline sport to keep me alive. Rock climbing seems perfect. The problem is how and where do I start? I scanned through some of the earlier posts and I can't quite grasp this concept of a partner. I mean isn't there a school where I go to and watch people climb and then get an instructor to teach me and progress through levels. I apologize for being such a dumb ass but thanks in advance for taking your time to educate me.

if you can learn no other way buy this book
Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills
http://www.amazon.com/.../002-5795770-7117633
its like $13.50 at amazon and is worth its weight in gold. I had to learn everything I know about climbing from books and this is the best beginner book I have. I'm not saying learn to climb from a book because its always helpful to have hands on instruction but if you can't this is the next best thing.
I also skydive and if you can learn to skydive you can learn to safely climb with this book.
Anthony

sraja

Dec 5, 2006, 5:31 AM
Post #14 of 16 (1026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acollins] Would like to get into climbing.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks a lot. Found that book to be quite interesting from the preview amazon provides. Where can I go for hands on instruction in the Illinois region or nearby?

acollins

Dec 5, 2006, 5:44 AM
Post #15 of 16 (1025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

can't help you there but that is a great book.
Anthony

playouts1de

Dec 7, 2006, 7:47 AM
Post #16 of 16 (993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you wander your way through the routs section to the place you live, usualy there will be local gyms listed. The will have lessons there, and partners. A climbing partner can be one of the best things about climbing, awesome way to stay motivated. Having someone who can learn your nuances is cool too (ie help you be as comfortable on the rock as possable from rope management to talking you through a crux and everything inbetween). My partners rock. Invest in one, they should sell them at the gym too ; )

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook