RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner thespider

Dec 8, 2006, 4:36 PM
Post #1 of 25 (2073 views)
Shortcut

Climb Tracking Software
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for some software that will track the climbs that I do. Similar to the route ascent list, but something that is usable offline on my machine and something that looks good.

There are many ways to track climbs, like excel or even an old notebook, but I was looking for something a little more digital and specific.

That way I may be able to avoid the hassle of trying to compile my climbs and not thinking about everything I want to record. Thanks

dbrayack

Dec 8, 2006, 4:52 PM
Post #2 of 25 (2062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thespider] Climb Tracking Software [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an excel spread sheet, its pretty easy to setup. I suggest just doing.

http://www.8a.nu has a good way of keeping track. You can do it on this site too, but those are both "online" shrug, sorry not much help here.

Partner thespider

Dec 8, 2006, 5:00 PM
Post #3 of 25 (2054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] Climb Tracking Software [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm thinking about an excel spreadsheet too. I'm not too sure about all the fields I want though. I'm starting to compile a list of everything that I may want to keep track of. Eventually I would like this in database that I can query. Maybe SQL with PHP front end. Anyway, can you tell me what all you keep track of in your spreadsheet? Or maybe even attach a sample page? Thanks!

dbrayack

Dec 8, 2006, 5:08 PM
Post #4 of 25 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to "do a lot of routes", so what I do is list the climb, the grade, the area (I use 9a, 8a, 10a, 10c etc for sorting purposes).

Also, i have it setup so I keep track of my 5.12 repoints, my 5.11 repoints etc, and I keep a running tally of routes that I've done at the New River Gorge (yay over 400) and at the Red River Gorge (yay over 150.)

I can email it you if you'd like to see it, nothing special. I wouldn't post it though, cause I'd kind of feel like I was "bragging" etc, which is a no no.

-Danno

Partner thespider

Dec 8, 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #5 of 25 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, if you email it, that would be cool, I would like to take a look at it. Thanks

fluxus

Dec 8, 2006, 5:24 PM
Post #6 of 25 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have kept a climbing journal for years, but I agree it would be great to have software to do this. To track asscents by kind and grade and to track training days and activities. There was a product called Klimb I think (maybe its still out there). I down loaded the trial version but didn't like it at all because there were too many assumptions built into the software, for example you couldn't create your own training catagories, so there was no way to use the program to track my training days.

The one thing that gives a written log an advantage is that assuming you still can find it, it will be readable in 5, 10, 15 years. I used word for a while for my log in the early 1990's and that log is now unreadable, where as my hand written log from '95 is still on the bookshelf.

I suppose that I could set up a spread sheet with specific cells for specific activities with simple calculations to tally the type and number of climbs / training activities.

thanks for the idea.

gochubug

Dec 8, 2006, 5:28 PM
Post #7 of 25 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can do it on this site too.
Except for the fact that probably at least
half of your climbs are not in the database here so before you can record them, you have to get them entered and validated, which takes ffoorreevveerr! Tongue

dbrayack

Dec 8, 2006, 5:54 PM
Post #8 of 25 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whats your email man?

You know, a climbing journal is a great way to really focus on your climbing, goals, exercise and remember what the heck you did in the past.

I definitely suggest starting one, I've been keeping a journal for about 4 years now and its great!

rhonius

Dec 8, 2006, 6:00 PM
Post #9 of 25 (2008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gochubug] Climb Tracking Software [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This sounds like a pretty easy thing to throw together into a database. I don't actually have a log of any of the climbs that I have done except for highlighting them in my guide book assuming that I own it or know what route I'm on. Besides the obvious fields: name, rating, area name, date climbed, comments. What else do you keep track of? I think that I could build something quickly that could easily import the data that you have in excel and be expandable over the years. send me an email or PM

AAron

perp

Dec 8, 2006, 6:42 PM
Post #10 of 25 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhonius] Climb Tracking Software [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't tried this myself, but it looks interesting.

http://klimb.com/blog/?p=11#more-11

overlord

Dec 8, 2006, 7:44 PM
Post #11 of 25 (1948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [perp] Climb Tracking Software [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

perp wrote:
I haven't tried this myself, but it looks interesting.

http://klimb.com/blog/?p=11#more-11

i just dled this about 14 days ago. it has some nice features, but i havent had the time to really test it yet (kindof end of the season here and as i dont grade indoor routes its kinda useless).

on a sidenote, i do keep a journal of my hangboard training in an excell spreadsheet. really usefull.

and i was going to make a 'rating' spreadsheet for routes (it would compute the average grade, total difficulty of the day, stuff like that to enable you to see how well the day actually went), but i never really decided on how to make the difficulty difference seem real... just adding +1 for each grade was not even close, and e^grade was a bit excessive. gotta give it some more thought though.

devils_advocate

Dec 8, 2006, 9:39 PM
Post #12 of 25 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fluxus] Climb Tracking Software [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fluxus wrote:
I used word for a while for my log in the early 1990's and that log is now unreadable, where as my hand written log from '95 is still on the bookshelf.

You should still be able to extract that data, it's all just 1's and 0's.. If you need help PM me, hate to think you put all that data together only to no be able to access it.

rome2282

Dec 8, 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #13 of 25 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fluxus] Climb Tracking Software [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fluxus wrote:
I have kept a climbing journal for years, but I agree it would be great to have software to do this. To track asscents by kind and grade and to track training days and activities. There was a product called Klimb I think (maybe its still out there). I down loaded the trial version but didn't like it at all because there were too many assumptions built into the software, for example you couldn't create your own training catagories, so there was no way to use the program to track my training days.

The one thing that gives a written log an advantage is that assuming you still can find it, it will be readable in 5, 10, 15 years. I used word for a while for my log in the early 1990's and that log is now unreadable, where as my hand written log from '95 is still on the bookshelf.

I suppose that I could set up a spread sheet with specific cells for specific activities with simple calculations to tally the type and number of climbs / training activities.

thanks for the idea.

I’ve been thinking along similar lines. After reading your book and Rockprodigy’s ideas, I was wishing there were online tools for: learning about, planning for and tracking different training programs and strategies. I think route tracking is a natural extension of that idea.

If nothing currently exists, I’d be curious on everyone’s ideas. My day job as an IT Project Manager is causing me to debate creating a site or application to accomplish this. Is there a need out there ?

fluxus

Dec 8, 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #14 of 25 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devils_advocate] Climb Tracking Software [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

devils_advocate wrote:
You should still be able to extract that data,

Thanks, this happened earlier this year, I was able to extract the data but it was not easy and I hate to think what would have happened if I had waited one more application version or system softwear upgrade to try it. As it was there was a ton of garbage in the extracted file that I had to go through line by line to delete. It was a reminder to me that frequent back-ups and upgrades of important files are a must.

I would really dig that Kilmb softwear if it was more flexable and allowed us to create our own catagories.

Partner thespider

Dec 9, 2006, 1:33 AM
Post #15 of 25 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rome2282] Climb Tracking Software [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rome2282 wrote:

I’ve been thinking along similar lines. After reading your book and Rockprodigy’s ideas, I was wishing there were online tools for: learning about, planning for and tracking different training programs and strategies. I think route tracking is a natural extension of that idea.

If nothing currently exists, I’d be curious on everyone’s ideas. My day job as an IT Project Manager is causing me to debate creating a site or application to accomplish this. Is there a need out there ?

I think we need an application. I have stated gathering information for a program. Here is what I have so far. I need to revise things, add, delete, etc. As I am in IT support, I think we may have the ability to get together and create something, or at least throw ideas off each other. IMO there is a need for a good application, something like klimb, but better suited to everyones needs.
Attachments: RC Database.pdf (50.8 KB)

jumpingrock

Dec 10, 2006, 1:51 AM
Post #16 of 25 (1821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I program shit for the internet. If you guys draft something up I can throw something together in C# (asp.net 2.0) sometime in the next couple of months. Either web form or win form. Or both. I've thought about this before. I don't do graphics so somebody else would have to deal with layout and other unpleasantries :-)

PS: In my experience with users, they don't like inputing tons of information. So for an application to be useful I'd only consider putting very basic route information (Name, Area, Guide Book, Grade and ascent date/time) and possibly adding some sort of a climbing goals section.

(This post was edited by jumpingrock on Dec 10, 2006, 1:55 AM)

deepplaymedia

Dec 10, 2006, 2:24 AM
Post #17 of 25 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] Climb Tracking Software [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

THECRAG.COM

this has been around for ages, its fantastic. i use it not only for recording ticks but also finding people to take photos of (if i want to shoot a certain location & dont know any of the locals I'll msg them on here) and also for cross checking route info for captions

Partner thespider

Dec 11, 2006, 1:51 PM
Post #18 of 25 (1754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] Climb Tracking Software [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jumpingrock wrote:
I program shit for the internet. If you guys draft something up I can throw something together in C# (asp.net 2.0) sometime in the next couple of months. Either web form or win form. Or both. I've thought about this before. I don't do graphics so somebody else would have to deal with layout and other unpleasantries :-)

PS: In my experience with users, they don't like inputing tons of information. So for an application to be useful I'd only consider putting very basic route information (Name, Area, Guide Book, Grade and ascent date/time) and possibly adding some sort of a climbing goals section.

Thanks for the programming offer jumpingrock. I am hesitant though to recreate the wheel again into another web site. However, there is a concern I have. We would want to be able to export all the data, either tab or comma or something similar. I would hate to have all my climbs online in a site, even if it was cool, and then have the site go down and loose all my data. I would prefer a application rather than online location.

Just my thoughts.

Partner thespider

Dec 11, 2006, 5:20 PM
Post #19 of 25 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's my climbing log in excel. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

I left my climbs in it. Flame-proof suit on!
Attachments: Climbing List.xls (93.5 KB)

serpico

Dec 12, 2006, 4:19 PM
Post #20 of 25 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've just done a worksheet to help track my training. It's designed more for printing out and taking to the wall, than as a computer record. It's still a work in progress and I'll be adding extra sheets to cover additional exercises.
Attachments: Arranworkout.xls (25.5 KB)

dbrayack

Dec 12, 2006, 4:25 PM
Post #21 of 25 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad you have it setup for that 15d ascent :)

Partner thespider

Dec 12, 2006, 4:55 PM
Post #22 of 25 (1662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have updated the list with some pivot tables and a graph, check it out.

I was thinking about going to 5.16d, but I thought you guys could fill that in as you go.

http://rusty.isa-geek.org/ClimbingList.xls

dbrayack

Dec 12, 2006, 5:07 PM
Post #23 of 25 (1654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice man.

So you climbed at Jake Rocks? I climbed there mannnny moons ago.

Partner thespider

Dec 12, 2006, 5:15 PM
Post #24 of 25 (1648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, jakes rock was sweet. Although we didn't climb the reservoir wall because of the traffic, the dam overhang was very cool. I'd like to get back there, but there is so much to climb in PA.

rome2282

Dec 12, 2006, 5:49 PM
Post #25 of 25 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thespider wrote:
rome2282 wrote:

I think we need an application. I have stated gathering information for a program. Here is what I have so far. I need to revise things, add, delete, etc. As I am in IT support, I think we may have the ability to get together and create something, or at least throw ideas off each other. IMO there is a need for a good application, something like klimb, but better suited to everyones needs.

Sounds good to me. I'll PM you after I take a look at your stuff! Anybody else have any ideas? Hopefully we can put something together in our free time....

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook