Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

nevenneve

Dec 11, 2006, 2:06 PM
Post #26 of 33 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mcgivney_nh] Staying warm at belays? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Eating in a system that allows the food to be digested before the chill of inactivity sets in. Reason being that your stomach requires a good deal of blood while digesting. It also helps to systematically flex/wiggle/rub your extremities as the situation allows.(Not the midriff appendage, great place to warm a hand if you can reign in warm thoughts that take away from your concentration.) Another partially useful trick is to get your body used to the cold. Florida to a low elevation cold weather climb for example.

azrockclimber

Dec 11, 2006, 3:55 PM
Post #27 of 33 (1083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Staying warm at belays? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
a trick I picked up from friends when you think it might be a little chilly is to bring a fleece balaclava.

It's small, it's light, and you get a huge bang for your buck heatwise. covers neck, face, and head. you can push the face part down so you can communicate, or pull it up to cover your mouth.

nice!

If you search you can probably find a windproof balaclava. (nylon windproof outerlayer) I know Patagonia used to make one. Not sure if they are still around. Great!!!

Partner climbinginchico

Dec 12, 2006, 8:05 AM
Post #28 of 33 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [azrockclimber] Staying warm at belays? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

azrockclimber wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
a trick I picked up from friends when you think it might be a little chilly is to bring a fleece balaclava.

It's small, it's light, and you get a huge bang for your buck heatwise. covers neck, face, and head. you can push the face part down so you can communicate, or pull it up to cover your mouth.

nice!

If you search you can probably find a windproof balaclava. (nylon windproof outerlayer) I know Patagonia used to make one. Not sure if they are still around. Great!!!

OR makes them. I love mine, though it's bulky for climbing.

Partner cracklover

Dec 12, 2006, 8:24 AM
Post #29 of 33 (1066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinginchico] Staying warm at belays? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Plenty of good clothing suggestions. Best one is the belay jacket. On the few times I've been lucky enough that my partner has brought one, I've considered myself truly blessed. This year I'm buying one - hear that world - I'm returning the good karma!

For those times when you screwed up - thought the sun was going to stay out, and instead the clouds moved in and the wind picked up, I find that deep knee bends work pretty well.

GO

moof

Dec 12, 2006, 7:03 PM
Post #30 of 33 (1040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Staying warm at belays? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wasabi Peas. Make sure you are not short on water first. They'll warm you up from the inside.

pastprime

Dec 13, 2006, 7:08 PM
Post #31 of 33 (1018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chill41] Staying warm at belays? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A few tips:
Stuff almost anything non metallic under whatever outer insulating layer you do have; a map, food bag, whatever. Criss cross some slings over your shoulders, or, surprizingly warm, coil an extra rope crisscross over your shoulders and under the opposite arms, under an outer layer of clothing to trap the dead air.
Shrugging your shoulders, shaking your hands and feet warm more than you'd expect, especially shrugging your shoulders.
Make sure the area around your neck is sealed off so any warm air you do have stays trapped and can't rise out and be lost.
Cover your face so you are breathing pre warmed air, and the air you are exhaling is warming your skin.
Cover your neck. Pull your hat down low so it covers more of your forehead and ears and temples
Put anything you can think of under you, and between you and the cold rock so your heat isn't being conducted away.
Add a few of these things together and it can make quite a difference.

(This post was edited by pastprime on Dec 13, 2006, 7:12 PM)

r_is4runout

Dec 13, 2006, 7:35 PM
Post #32 of 33 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pastprime] Staying warm at belays? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

eat something

Partner kimgraves

Dec 14, 2006, 3:32 PM
Post #33 of 33 (974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chill41] Staying warm at belays? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Windproofs are REALLY important because they keep your warmth from being carried away. I wear windproofs (pants and jacket with a hood) over light insulation to start. During the aerobic approach I can take off the windproof and stay cool enough not to sweat. I was luckily enough to get a Patagonia R1 Hoody before they ran out of stock (na, na!) , so I always have a hat with me. If you're not so lucky, then a windproof balaclava is lightweight and easily carried in your jacket pocket. If you're not carrying a belay jacket (WHAT you're not carrying a belay jacket???!!!) then doing isometrics is more effective than jumping jacks, push-ups, etc because the latter allows "the chimney effect" to vent the warmth you're producing. Isometrics work just as well and keep the warmth inside. Don't forget belay gloves. You should be using them anyway for a hard catch, but in cool weather they really make a difference keeping your hands warm.

The Cilogear packs I carry have a belay pad as part of their suspension. Sitting or standing on these pads really helps to insulate you from the cold cold ground.

Finally eat and hydrate enough. You won't stay warm if you're not fueled.

Best, Kim

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook