RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

overlord

Dec 18, 2006, 3:26 PM
Post #1 of 21 (1696 views)
Shortcut

Softshell pants
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

im in the market for some new climbing/mountaineering pants and as i really like my softshell jacket, i wonder what are ppls experiences with these? durability, comfort, stuff like that.

they will be used in winter for approaches and rock climbing, in possibly windy conditions (if youve ever experienced burja/bora/dont really know the english expression you know what i mean) and during summer for hiking/mountaineering (up to 3day trips). no iceclimbing/skiing/winter mountains for me, thank you (i really do hate winter/snow/ice), so i decided against goretex (i dont really need it so im kinda unwilling to pay the extra $ for something i dont need), but im open to alternative suggestions too.

Partner macherry

Dec 18, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #2 of 21 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Softshell pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of mammut schoeller soft shell pants. they are amazing. they are light enough to wear during warmer months, but with a base layer underneath, they work well for snowshoeing and winter sports. they repel moisture. love the stretchy fabric.

chouca

Dec 18, 2006, 4:59 PM
Post #3 of 21 (1633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arc'teryx makes some good lightweight softshell pants. I like the Gamma LT for cool weather alpine rock and the Switchback pants for temps above freezing.

The old Cloudveil Prospector pants and Patagonia Talus pants were even better, both in terms of cut and fabric, but they are no longer made. They lacked zippers and belt buckles and were more comfortable.

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 18, 2006, 5:06 PM
Post #4 of 21 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I find the Mammut Champ pants to be ideal for most of my climbing in all but the hottest times of year. Their water repellancy isn't as good as the Mammut softshell jacket I have, but the comfort and durability are fantastic.

reno

Dec 18, 2006, 5:09 PM
Post #5 of 21 (1624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Softshell pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slacklinejoe wrote:
Personally I find the Mammut Champ pants to be ideal for most of my climbing in all but the hottest times of year.

What he said.

Partner alexmac

Dec 18, 2006, 6:06 PM
Post #6 of 21 (1596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Softshell pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
slacklinejoe wrote:
Personally I find the Mammut Champ pants to be ideal for most of my climbing in all but the hottest times of year.

What he said.

I am curious as to other softshell pants you have both rejected and why.

vegastradguy

Dec 18, 2006, 6:16 PM
Post #7 of 21 (1590 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexmac] Softshell pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cloudveil makes quite a few high quality softshell pants ranging from $100 to $300, depending on which model you get. I have all of them (i'm a cloudveil whore, btw) and love them all.

jp_sucks

Dec 18, 2006, 6:18 PM
Post #8 of 21 (1587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got two pairs of softshell pants and use them for almost everything. My gore-tex pants live in my closet. A lighter weight pair of arc'teryx ones that are ok but nothing special and a pair of the Black Diamond softshell pants that are amazing. I wear these ones 90% of the time in both summer and winter. Arc'Teryx ones aren't very durable but the BD ones are still going strong.

trenchdigger

Dec 18, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #9 of 21 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One word:

Schoeller

I have the REI Mistral pants and really like them. Relatively cheap too as softshells go.

crackboy

Dec 18, 2006, 7:31 PM
Post #10 of 21 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Softshell pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a pair of mammut courmeyer(sp?) pants that i use for winter stuff. just throw ona base layer and i am set. i find them a touch too heavy for me in the warmer months.

i have a pair of moonstone cirque pants( i think) they are very lightweight and great for everythign but winter stuff.

i think the BDV pants from BD are also schoeller but i only really use them for running

boredatwork

Dec 18, 2006, 7:38 PM
Post #11 of 21 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I absolutely love my Mammut Champ pants. Bouldered a couple weeks ago in 20+ degree temps and I felt great. I did wear a light base layer underneath.

sspssp

Dec 18, 2006, 8:58 PM
Post #12 of 21 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Softshell pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
One word:

Schoeller

I have the REI Mistral pants and really like them. Relatively cheap too as softshells go.

I don't understand the love affair with the light weight Schoeller.

I purchased a pair of REI Mistral pants right before going to Indian Creek. I took about a six foot lead fall on the first day and blew the knee out of the Mistral pants. By the end of a three week trip, both knees were blown out and you could see where the seat was going to rip. It wasn't a manufacturing problem (the stitching was holding up). But the material itself was ripping. Since Schoeller is trademarked, the same weight Schoeller from one clothing company should be the same as the next (right?).

The heavy Schoeller (e.g. Schoeller 400) seems to have some promise, but this light weight crap? Do people really climb in it? And it isn't falling apart on them? What am I missing.

My advice on soft shell pants, make sure you buy from a company (patagonia/REI etc) that will offer a 100% gaurentee refund when you have an experience like mine.

(This post was edited by sspssp on Dec 18, 2006, 9:00 PM)

reno

Dec 18, 2006, 9:25 PM
Post #13 of 21 (1515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:
reno wrote:
slacklinejoe wrote:

What he said.

Can't speak for Joe, but my statement is based not upon rejection of others, but of my complete satisfaction with my Mammut Champs.

Found a pair on eBay, won 'em for cheap, and they have performed as well as I could want under various conditions (winter ice, spring and summer alpine, winter camping.) It's not that I've rejected any other pants... just that I haven't needed to buy any other softshell pants, cause these do just fine for what I need.

(BTW, I have different pants for straight forward cragging.)

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 19, 2006, 2:56 AM
Post #14 of 21 (1461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Softshell pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:

I haven't tried out a lot of softshell pants. I didn't find many that I liked the fit on, or they didn't breath enough. Some felt like a sauna just walking around the store, others didn't have the same fredome of movement. Sorry can't remember all of the model names for the ones I didn't buy.

The Mammut Champ pants were a good balance of everything and the cost wasn't unreasonable. They are very stretchy, and have good durability. I've worn them through Joshua Tree, Moab, and our gritty offwidth sandstone in Arkasas, tons of backpacking and even some caving and they are still in good enough shape to wear to work.

My only squak with them is while they repel snow very well, and shed light mists like a well waxed car, a strong downpour will still get your crotch wet, but that's the same with most softshell pants. This is a trade off though as the more water resiliant softshells aren't very breathable.

anykineclimb

Dec 19, 2006, 3:31 AM
Post #15 of 21 (1454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Softshell pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been really happy with my Mammut Castor pant. I also just picked up some BD alpine pants that are MUCH thinner but I like the lower profile fit of them and I can use them for cool/ cold weather rock climbing while the mammuts will be for more winter stuff.

secretninja

Dec 19, 2006, 4:02 AM
Post #16 of 21 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My experiences with soft shell clothing outside in heavy use activities has been fairly poor...i find they snag and tear more than traditional clothing, and are more expensive to boot. They are quite warm and comfy though. Anyone else find thier softshells wear quickly?

Partner alexmac

Dec 19, 2006, 4:07 AM
Post #17 of 21 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Re: [secretninja] Softshell pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks all, and overlord for asking the question in the first place. I found the info very useful

akicebum

Dec 19, 2006, 5:24 AM
Post #18 of 21 (1416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really only use softshell. It is has a stronger weight to durability ratio than hardshell. You can layer underneath for all conditions and in extremely cold windy temp you can layer over the top. In really wet conditions you get much colder than if you are wearing hardshell simply because cold water soaks through rather than having the same warmer sweat underneath your shell. Your soaked any way from the sweat, but you dry faster in softshell, so I think it warmer long term.

Because it wicks water better your feet stay a lot drier as less moisture makes it into your boot. I fancy the lighterweight softshell like the BDV, Switchback, or Guide Light. These same pants make for great alpine rock pants as well.

Good luck, have fun, stay dry and be safe

Partner climbinginchico

Dec 19, 2006, 7:25 AM
Post #19 of 21 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [akicebum] Softshell pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have two pairs of softshell pants.

One is Black Diamond, made with Schoeller Dynamic. These are a super nice breathable layer for all around use, and they breathe well enough that they don't make me overheat.

I just also got some Arc'teryx Gamma MX pants. They rule. I also have a Gamma MX hoody and a Gamma SV jacket too, and I love them all! Polartec Powershield is wonderful material. It breathes wonderfully, and is nice and warm when I want it to be. I've also never gotten wet wearing mine in all but the worst weather.

overlord

Dec 19, 2006, 8:35 AM
Post #20 of 21 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinginchico] Softshell pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slacklinejoe wrote:
alexmac wrote:

I haven't tried out a lot of softshell pants. I didn't find many that I liked the fit on, or they didn't breath enough. Some felt like a sauna just walking around the store, others didn't have the same fredome of movement. Sorry can't remember all of the model names for the ones I didn't buy.

The Mammut Champ pants were a good balance of everything and the cost wasn't unreasonable. They are very stretchy, and have good durability. I've worn them through Joshua Tree, Moab, and our gritty offwidth sandstone in Arkasas, tons of backpacking and even some caving and they are still in good enough shape to wear to work.

My only squak with them is while they repel snow very well, and shed light mists like a well waxed car, a strong downpour will still get your crotch wet, but that's the same with most softshell pants. This is a trade off though as the more water resiliant softshells aren't very breathable.

i guess ill have to look for those in the stores. shouldnt be a problem.

arctex could be a problem though. i dont know if anyone imports it over here.

thanks for the feedback so far and keep it coming.

Rokkaseg

Dec 19, 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #21 of 21 (1366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beyondfleece.com
Their cold fusion pants are the cats pajamas.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook