RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

supercraker

Sep 13, 2002, 9:54 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1579 views)
Shortcut

gri gri rigged for soloing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any websites show/explain how to rig the grigri for soloing. I currently use it unaltered and havn't taken any inverted dives, but better safe right. Oh yea, nice pic on the highline Ammon.

genlock

Sep 28, 2002, 6:29 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1579 views)
Shortcut

gri gri rigged for soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a look at this page..

http://ulrichprinz.com/alpin/equipment/selfmade/#grigri

found that one the other day.. wotrh it!

- Genlock

apollodorus

Sep 28, 2002, 7:45 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing about soloing on the Gri-Gri is that as you get higher, the weight of the rope will want to pull it back through and hang below you. Since you have back-up knots on the rope ahead of you, they'll keep the rope from sliding all the way down, but you'll still have alot of slack below.

Dr. Piton's solution is to use 7 or 8mm loops to tie prusik (klemheist) knots to rebelay the rope about every fifty feet, or wherever the rope will rub against an edge as you jug it to clean. You clip the prusik to a group of equalized bomber pieces that are good against both upward and downward pulls. Pull all the slack out of the rope going down to the lower belay.

Using the prusik to rebelay the rope is not a bad idea if you are climbing with a second, either. If the rope goes over an edge, rebelaying there will keep it from rubbing when it gets jugged.

psirro

Sep 28, 2002, 9:48 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

can i see a pic. of this plz?

taxexile

Sep 30, 2002, 8:28 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tom
Can you explain why you need to use equalised pro that can take multi-directional force? I've used this method a bit and always assumed that the piece needs only to be able to take downward force.

I assume that for upward force to come into play you would need to whip onto a higher piece and for rope stretch to make the prusik apply upward pull on the re-belayed piece.

I thought the basic idea was to use a long-enough sling on the prusik to prevent this from happening?

Does this all make sense?

As an aside, I found this method really useful recently on a pitch where the bottom anchor was two inverted cams. I prusik re-belayed on the first bomber piece above the anchor so that I could put upward tension the anchor. This stopped the cam slings from flopping around and risking cross-loading on the power point locker.

Duncan

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook