Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

galt

Dec 21, 2006, 5:49 PM
Post #26 of 47 (1568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I went to school in Florida and yea, we are all of the above. How many people do you know can climb at Horsepens for a week, drive 9 hours, sleep 4, then go surfing the next day? True, we were limited to gym climbing, but we made do with what we had and enjoyed every second of it. Of my friends who climbed in Florida one was a semi-pro Kite Surfer and two of em' were avid surfers and all of us took trips (as often as possible) to get to real rock.
I started climbing to enjoy the outdoors and, last time I checked, surfing, kite surfing, hang glider, competition kite flyer (?)... all took place outside. The venue is different, the end is the exact same.

dbrayack

Dec 21, 2006, 5:51 PM
Post #27 of 47 (1567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [galt] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

galt wrote:
I went to school in Florida and yea, we are all of the above. How many people do you know can climb at Horsepens for a week, drive 9 hours, sleep 4, then go surfing the next day? True, we were limited to gym climbing, but we made do with what we had and enjoyed every second of it. Of my friends who climbed in Florida one was a semi-pro Kite Surfer and two of em' were avid surfers and all of us took trips (as often as possible) to get to real rock.
I started climbing to enjoy the outdoors and, last time I checked, surfing, kite surfing, hang glider, competition kite flyer (?)... all took place outside. The venue is different, the end is the exact same.

As per the last paragraph, thats my point, why drive so far to climb when you can do all of the mentioned above, I'm sure they're just as fullfilling as climbing?

ebonezercabbage

Dec 21, 2006, 6:04 PM
Post #28 of 47 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live at sea level.....but i drive 10-15 hours to get into the high mountains. I've tried all sorts of other hobbies...they fall short. Im not a big believer in fate, but id say, once you do it and fall in love, you can't go back. I climbed once, i was a climber forever. I will climb until my knees waste away and my fingers fall off....even then i'd give it a go with my teeth.

plus then i could get a cool nickname: STUBBY

(This post was edited by ebonezercabbage on Dec 21, 2006, 6:05 PM)

the_alpine

Dec 21, 2006, 6:18 PM
Post #29 of 47 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebonezercabbage] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Florida = pimpin' basecamp!

snoangel

Dec 21, 2006, 6:38 PM
Post #30 of 47 (1545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_alpine] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_alpine wrote:
... I personally love wakeboarding, skating, surfing, biking, and hot fuckin chicks in bikinis. Oh ya, then there's climbing. Maybe I'll take it serious one day and move to a more climber friendly location instead of constantly traveling... or maybe not.

Funny that you get all of that in SoCal PLUS climbing on real rock. But that's fine by me, it's too populated out here already. I think more climbers should move to Florida. Tongue

galt

Dec 21, 2006, 6:44 PM
Post #31 of 47 (1542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dbrayack, totally depends on the person. I lived in Germany and Washington before moving to Florida. My skiing/climbing obviously went on hold and I took up other outdoor activities while in school, but I never got into surfing or kite boarding like I did my other pursuits. It was in my blood & it didn't go anywhere.
It did, however, provide me with activities to enjoy with friends in the outdoors.

Partner oldsalt

Dec 21, 2006, 7:02 PM
Post #32 of 47 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack wrote:
... thats my point, why drive so far to climb when you can do all of the mentioned above, I'm sure they're just as fullfilling as climbing?

I grew up in Indialantic (in Central Florida), two blocks from the ocean. Naturally, I surfed every day with any waves, year around. I went to the University of Hawaii and attended a few classes when not at Ala Moana, Pupukea, Chun's Reef, Makaha, or Sandy Beach.

Now, at age 57, I live closer to the rock gym than I do to the beach. I can't get up on a board due to arthritis in my right hip. The waves in Jacksonville suck!

All that said, I have driven to a crag in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, or North Carolina 38 times in the past 37 months. I know when I get there that the rock will be running 85 to 600 feet and glassy.

I leave no trace, share belay stations well, and my partner and I don't mind the cost to do all of these things.

To answer the OP, "I am committed to my job and my community. The weather is fabulous outside of the truly rare hurricanes, and I must climb to live a complete life. It's the price I pay."

rome2282

Dec 21, 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #33 of 47 (1496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I traveled from Michigan to Kentucky to go caving because we have no (real) cave systems here. While down there, I was introduced to climbing. Then realized we have nothing to climb here either, just gyms. Luckily, everyone carpools to the Red on the weekends. So to answer your questions, we got hooked and can’t give it up for the other things in life. Unsure

chazc

Dec 22, 2006, 2:19 AM
Post #34 of 47 (1471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rome2282] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ill tell you what sucks is living an hour from New River Gorge and then going to college in West Palm Beach, FL

Partner alexmac

Dec 22, 2006, 4:47 AM
Post #35 of 47 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chazc] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chazc wrote:
Ill tell you what sucks is living an hour from New River Gorge and then going to college in West Palm Beach, FL

Picking on Florida is not really fair, its like a Tball insult fight (geb bush, hanging chads, etc).

It must be tough having the passion for climbing and living in Florida, we should respect their passion and endurance (having to wait for decent climbs).

zeke_sf

Dec 22, 2006, 6:17 AM
Post #36 of 47 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexmac] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, let's give endurance its propers.

I want to be the local somewhere one of these days. as it is, I am surrounded by only adequate climbing until I drive a couple of hours.

Ophelia25

May 9, 2007, 6:45 PM
Post #37 of 47 (1362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometime people forget that where you live is not solely based on the activities that you participate in for recreation. If climbing is your living, then it would be pretty silly to live in FL. Some climbers are here because of work, some because of family, there are as many other reason to live here as there are climbers living here.

Most of my friends say the gym is for practice till they can get to a climb. The way I see it, having to travel just adds to the adventure. Yes it would be great if there were somewhere more than a 9 foot rock face by some isolated beach, but that should stop anyone from climbing or dissuade anyone from living in what is essentially a wonderful place.

Tania

May 9, 2007, 9:42 PM
Post #38 of 47 (1290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I must defend the Florida climbers because I am one myslef. (I might have actually met you in Kentucky)
I grew up in CA so I fell in love with mountains and outdoors there. Was a little disapointed with Florida, tried surfing and I SUCK. Not to say I am any good at climbing but I am definitly better than the first day I tried it! I drove to The Red last year, not only was it long but I had to miss a week of school. It was totally worth it. I am addicted to climbing. Cant wait to graduate next year So I can move and make it a full time habit Smile. Moving is definitly in my plans.

.........haha competitive kite flying? Heres another one I never understood: Bird watching

dashclimber306

May 9, 2007, 9:44 PM
Post #39 of 47 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ophelia25] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got started climbing in a gym in FL before i moved to NC. Tons of people climb indoors now, its like a different sport. I know some people climbing way hard who live <1hr from rock but climb indoors a lot more. Personally I dont get it but whatever, keeps crags less crowded.

Tania

May 9, 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #40 of 47 (1270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chazc] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chazc wrote:
haha-I feel your pain-im a Davie/Orlandian. But at least we have the beach.

endercore

May 9, 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #41 of 47 (1265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dashclimber306] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

who even builds a gym less than an hour from rock?

sbaclimber

May 9, 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #42 of 47 (1254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [endercore] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

endercore wrote:
People who wish to provide a service for....
1) climbers who don't like to climb in the rain
2) climbers who don't like to climb in the snow
3) climbers who don't like to climb in the cold
4) climbers who don't like to climb in the dark
5) beginners who would like to learn in a controlled environment, at a reasonable cost
6) gym rats, who wouldn't know a real rock if it hit them in the head

We have rock less than 20mins away, and the 2 gyms in town are doing just fine. Tongue

richardvg03

May 10, 2007, 1:01 AM
Post #43 of 47 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebonezercabbage] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ebonezercabbage wrote:
I will climb until my knees waste away and my fingers fall off....even then i'd give it a go with my teeth.
\

I have a torn acl and mcl and I still climb HAHAHA

the_alpine

May 10, 2007, 1:09 AM
Post #44 of 47 (1219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [endercore] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

endercore wrote:

Me!! Check out http://www.verticalventures.com

stymingersfink

May 10, 2007, 1:31 AM
Post #45 of 47 (1205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_alpine] Florida Climbers...WHY? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_alpine wrote:
You assume that climbers you meet from FL aren't any of these? I personally love wakeboarding, skating, surfing, biking, and fuckin hot chicks in bikinis. Oh ya, then there's climbing. Maybe I'll take it serious one day and move to a more climber friendly location instead of constantly traveling... or maybe not.
i mis-quoted you, i din't think you'd mind though.

I mean, what's a little traveling? I'm 14 hrs from The Valley if I drive Wink

nodecaf

May 10, 2007, 1:37 AM
Post #46 of 47 (1198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack wrote:
Why not be a surfer, or a hang glider, a cyclist....I mean really.

Bike riding in FL ain't all that great either -- other than the fact it's warm in winter. Too hot to ride in the summer and --oh yeah-- probably the highest rate of bike/car crashes in the US.

I was down there for a race a few years ago and on a training ride I got whacked by a big ass pickup with NRA stickers all over the back. 12 years of riding in NY and no close calls; three days in FL and I got zapped. Go figure.

superbum

May 10, 2007, 2:54 AM
Post #47 of 47 (1171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatare ya talking about? I was just at Disneyworld and I got to climb Mt. Everest! All I had to pay was admission and wait about 30 min!

Florida SUCKS.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook