We might come from a convict colony....But we won the Ashes...wooooooo

gritstoner

Dec 22, 2006, 8:32 AM
Post #2 of 15 (708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yak] Attn Pommy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you might have won the ashes, but we get to keep them over here.

i mean we couldnt trust something like the actual ashes to a bunch of criminals now could we. Tongue

in all seriousness, you absolutely pummeled us this year. i was looking forward to a good series after last year, but no england coaching staff got in the way and didnt pick our best bowlers or our best wicket keeper. probably wouldnt have made much difference, but i guess we will never know now.

Partner philbox

Dec 22, 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #3 of 15 (694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gritstoner] Attn Pommy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would love to see the series squared away 5 nil. That would really rub salt into the wound.

How about Shane Warne retiring at the end of the series eh. First Steve Irwin then Brocky and now Warney. Bad news always comes in threes eh.

col

Dec 22, 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #4 of 15 (690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Attn Pommy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, after brocky hit the tree, i had a few people suggest that all out other public figures be put into protective custody...

Partner philbox

Dec 22, 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #5 of 15 (688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [col] Attn Pommy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well we can breathe a sigh of relief now that the threesome hoodoo has been done. Oh yeah, Warney did a threesome didn't he.

kachoong

Dec 22, 2006, 2:01 PM
Post #6 of 15 (682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha haaaaaaaaaaa!! The ashes our ours again!! Last year was a fluke! 5-0 would be great to see!Cool

wjca

Dec 22, 2006, 2:16 PM
Post #7 of 15 (678 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Attn Pommy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This entire post was written in English yet I have no idea wtf you are all talking about. Will a mod please move this to the foreigners forum?

reno

Dec 22, 2006, 2:18 PM
Post #8 of 15 (675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] Attn Pommy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's code-speak for an Al-Gebra terrorist plot, using weapons of math instruction.

Still investigating. Will report back forthwith.

lagr01

Dec 22, 2006, 3:11 PM
Post #9 of 15 (663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] Attn Pommy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the british and the aussies have been fighting for the ashes of some dead guy, the aussies think they got it now, but the brits gave them fake ashes (maybe cigarette ashes) because they are all ex-convicts and wouldn't know the difference.

Partner philbox

Dec 22, 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #10 of 15 (641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lagr01] Attn Pommy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh heh, you poor unedicated aouls. We of course are talking about the gentlemans game of cricket. The ashes are stored in a small wooden urn. The origin of the ashes is part of the rich cultural heritage of the British Empire at its zenith. After the first loss by the pommies of a test cricket series way back when I can't remember but I'm pretty sure it was before the turn of the century (that is last century not the one just gone) the pommies removed the bales from the top of the cricket stumps and they then burnt them to ashes. Ever since the Poms and the Aussies have been fighting over the retention of this little insignificant urn.

Long may the Aussies retain the crown jewel of our sporting prowess over the poms.

Partner j_ung

Dec 23, 2006, 3:27 AM
Post #11 of 15 (629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great... take the worlds most boring sport, baseball, and combine it with a bunch of accented dandies. "I say, muffy, excellent toofage (or some other lame word for something easy to do)."Tongue

Partner philbox

Dec 23, 2006, 5:46 AM
Post #12 of 15 (617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Attn Pommy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I must say Jay that it used to bore me to tears when I was a kid. Still does to a great extent and I only ever watch the highlights and that is only when we are winning. I can't bring myself to sit in front of the TV for five days straight to watch one game. Mind you the way the Aussies are sending the Poms off the field it does have some excitement to it at the mo.

All that "Jolly what oh" stuff and "spiffing chaps" is long gone. Lotsa bully boy sledging going on out there between the Aussies and the Poms. They have to censor the microphone on the filed as it would make your hair curl. The withering looks and the body language couple witht he sledging makes for quite a bit of psychological warfare happening out on the field.

yak

Jan 5, 2007, 1:11 AM
Post #13 of 15 (583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clean Sweep, Clean Sweep...woooooo 5-0

jgloporto

Jan 5, 2007, 8:56 PM
Post #14 of 15 (557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yak] Attn Pommy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can someone explain this to me. How the hell can someone be at bat for three days. I lived in England for a while and was exposed to some of this nonesensicalness (which was actually a nice break from the usual stuff on sports channels over there: darts and snooker). Anyways, I went to a bar one night and this bloke whom the Aussie next to me referred to as a puff was standing there with an oar looking around and swatting at a little bouncing ball and not running. At first I thought it was odd that he was hitting it and not running. So I figured I would down a couple of pints of the dark stuff until this practice starting making sense. The aussie bought a few rounds, we ate a small pie with liver and some other indescernable meat in it and then I went home. Next day, I went back to the pub and the same folks were there and the cricket thing was still on. I assumed it was a three or more game series yet the same bloke/puff was still at bat or whatever you refer to holding the oar as. I don't remember much from the second day because the thing that was on the menu was far worse than the liver and x-meat pie from the prior day and I couldn't eat it. Fortunately Guinness has lots of vitamins. Third day, I am back again, same people, same thing on the tele, same guy still standing near the stick-things, the food was worse than the second day and actually, I think it tried to bite me. I run into my new aussie friend and ask him what the score is. He rattles off an odd sequence of numbers to which I replied "Hmpff." Then I asked who was leading the series. He then informed me that it was the same game from the last two days and that the same bloke/puff is still batting. So my question is, what exactly is wrong with you people and why did God deprive an entire nation of tastebuds.

Partner philbox

Jan 5, 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #15 of 15 (536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] Attn Pommy's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm, "puff" may be poof. Of course that spelling may be in your pronunciation. It is rather common to announce a denoument on the Pommies as Poofy Pommy Bast...s. Poof is pronounced with the double o's being the same pronunciation as good. Poof in this context is not the pejorative given when seeing a homosexual but rather it is similar to a term of endearment given to ones enemy.

On another note, if anyone saw the last days play at the Sydney Cricket Ground one would have witnessed a rather historical spectacle where the losing side gave away the last seven runs to the winning side. A 6 over the fence was presented and then a single was bowled to the winning side. Quite sporting a a gentlemanly way of losing I must say. We were also treated to the losing side offering a guard of honour to the retiring Justin Langer who was in fact about to head into the history books alongside his team mate who both batted their way to become the cricketers who were not out scoring the winning runs of the first whitewash for some 80 odd years and only the second test whitewash in the history of the ashes series competitions between England and Oz.

Although I do not follow cricket I felt compelled as a patriotic Aussie to watch the last days innings. Stirring stuff to see the Poms cop a whitewash flogging in all five tests. Then to see the likes of Warne, Mcgrath and Langer some of the greatest players in crickets history all bowing out of the game was somewhat sad but a momentous occasion nonetheless.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook