RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climberman15

Dec 18, 2006, 3:03 AM
Post #1 of 17 (1134 views)
Shortcut

Crossing into Mexico on Dec 26
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be driving across the border into Mexico at about noon on Dec. 26. Which bourder crossing should I use. I have heard that the one in town can take a long time at peak hours. Should I go around or use the crossing in town? Thanks

Partner camhead

Dec 18, 2006, 3:20 AM
Post #2 of 17 (1122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climberman15] Crossing into Mexico on Dec 26 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

usually, the crossing into Mexico doesn't take long. It's coming back into the US that has all the lines. Either way, if you want a more casual experience, cross at Columbia, about 12 miled upstream from Laredo.

climberman15

Dec 19, 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #3 of 17 (1052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Crossing into Mexico on Dec 26 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK I think I will do that. Thanks

climbingaggie03

Dec 23, 2006, 4:02 PM
Post #4 of 17 (1015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm getting ready to cross over the border to go to potrero too, but I'm not quite sure what all we need to get our car across. I found a website (http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/driveborder.html)

that says all we need to drive our car across is
In reply to:
# Valid proof of citizenship (passport or birth certificate).
# The appropiate immigration form (tourist card).
# The valid vehicle registration certificate, or a document, such as the original title that certifies the legal ownership of the vehicle. It must be in the driver's name.
# The leasing contract (if the vehicle is leased or rented) which must be in the name of the person importing the car. If the vehicle belongs to a company, present the document that certifies the employee works for the company.
# A valid driver's license, issued outside Mexico.
# An international credit card, also issued outside Mexico (American Express, Diner's Club, Mastercard or Visa), in the name of the driver of the vehicle

and it says that mexican insurance isn't mandatory. Can anybody who has crossed the border tell me if this info is right?

rockgoat

Dec 23, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #5 of 17 (1010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Crossing into Mexico on Dec 26 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Starting Jan you will need a passport to get back into the USA.

dilligaf

Dec 23, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #6 of 17 (1003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Crossing into Mexico on Dec 26 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All that looks right.

Quick breakdown:

1.birth certificate or passport

2.drivers license

3.letter from your lien holder with approval to take the car down there
(they have never asked me for this, but its a long drive to have to turn back)

4.Copy of vehicle registration
(can be the renewal form that your new sticker or tag came on, make sure your name is on it and your VIN matches it)

5.Credit Card

6.Tourist Visa

To make it easy on you, make a copy of all your documents, they want to keep a photo copy of everything, they only charge $2, but it will take a while...usually a line.

If you go to the Columbia crossing, go inside, find the bathrooms on the right, right past them is a small hallway, go through to get to the Immigration office to get your Visa.

Then with your copies of everything (DL, registration, birth certificate or passport) and your new visa, go back to main room where you entered and get in line at the long glass window to get your car sticker. (On left side of the building.)

If they give you a problem about insurance, they sell it now inside the Columbia border crossing building.

Driving Beta in TX:

Going south on I-35 -- Exit 39...last stop for Gas. There is a Loves Gas station. Its always busy.

Then head south again, take exit 25 or 24 for the Columbia crossing. There will be a sign.

There is a $2 toll before you get to the Rio Grand bridge(which is another $2). This toll that you need to pay before you get to the Bridge, it closes early, usually around 10pm. There is a 20 to 30 minute detour around, not sure which roads to take, but you can get around it.

I think thats most of everything, you can PM me if you have any other questions.

Phillip

fancyclaps

Dec 23, 2006, 5:11 PM
Post #7 of 17 (993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockgoat] Crossing into Mexico on Dec 26 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you are wrong, after looking around a little bit here is what I found.

In reply to:
"Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries."

That is from the U.S. Department of State website you can find it here:
http://travel.state.gov/...bpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Partner camhead

Dec 23, 2006, 8:58 PM
Post #8 of 17 (962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fancyclaps] Crossing into Mexico on Dec 26 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mexican insurance is not required by the Mexican federal government, and is not necessary for crossing. However, most Mexican states require it, even if they don't check for it. If you get in an accident without insurance, you will probably get fucked.

Good Potrero beta: Sanborn's Insurance in Laredo will sell policies one day at a time, so you can just buy it for the day you drive down, and back, rather than for the entire Potrero trip, which does not require driving every day.

climberman15

Dec 23, 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #9 of 17 (943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How does this credit card thing work? Do they charge when you cross and refund when you return or just take the number and charge if the car does not return? When all is said and done will anything be charged to my card for crossing the boarder? assuming I do everything right.

ozoneclimber

Dec 23, 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #10 of 17 (942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use the Macallan Renosa crossing

climberman15

Dec 23, 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #11 of 17 (941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ozoneclimber] Crossing into Mexico on Dec 26 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ozoneclimber wrote:
Use the Macallan Renosa crossing

WHY???

ozoneclimber

Dec 23, 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #12 of 17 (935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry I was running out of time at the Internet cafe, I'm in Mallorca right now. That crossing is the one that I've always used and it goes fast both ways.

-Bobby

dilligaf

Dec 24, 2006, 2:52 PM
Post #13 of 17 (900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The credit card:

They charge you for Mexican Vehicle Registration, anywhere between $20 to $30, can't remember exact price. There isn't a refund when you come back, that is just how you pay for the sticker.

I keep the sticker on my truck till it expires, that way i can make weekend trips down there. So they do not charge you anything else for your vehicle if you don't turn in the sticker. But, it is best to return the stiker when you leave, unless you know you are going back soon and your sticker will still be good.

They only give you a car pass for as long as your visa is good for. So if you get a free - 7 day visa or pay $20 for a 180 day visa, the car sticker for that same amount of time will be the same price.

P

dilligaf

Dec 24, 2006, 2:56 PM
Post #14 of 17 (897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ozoneclimber] Crossing into Mexico on Dec 26 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mallorca adds over 100 miles to the trip. Maybe you should try the Columbia crossing.
Its always quick here as well. Even when it appears busy, I have never spent more that 30 minutes there at a time, thats for all the paper work, visa and car registration.

climberman15

Dec 24, 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #15 of 17 (851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dilligaf] Crossing into Mexico on Dec 26 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard they would charge however much the car is worth if the sticker was not returned to the same border crossing. A way to make sure your car leaves mexico. This is what I have heard. So far it sounds like it is wrong. Is there any truth to it? Thanks.

dilligaf

Dec 26, 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #16 of 17 (813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not that i or anyone I know have encountered. I have had a sticker expire, then try to take a different car across the border. They shot me down, had to go get the car and have them cancel the registration, (they have to look at the car) then I got to register the new one. If they charge you, they will only charge you the tax on the car (based on what it is worth). Don't worry about this, it will take a very long time for them to do this. I think you are over worrying about that aspect. just get your documents in order, get copies. be prepared to charge up to $30 to your credit card for your car registration, and up to $20 or so for a 180 day visa. Then just go, you'll be fine, have fun on your trip. just bring your car back and be sure that you cancel the registration when you get back or before you get rid of the car.

Wish I was able to get back down there. Enjoy yourself, its a Celebration.

climberman15

Dec 26, 2006, 1:58 AM
Post #17 of 17 (797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dilligaf] Crossing into Mexico on Dec 26 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys for all your input. I have all my papers together and am ready to go. It is about 8:00 P.M. now and I am heading toward the border at 1:50 A.M. It is a 10 hour drive so I won't get there for awhile. I have some more packing and a few hours of sleep to get before I leave. Thanks again. I hope you all had a great christmas.

(This post was edited by climberman15 on Dec 26, 2006, 2:00 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook