First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

collegekid

Dec 27, 2006, 4:03 AM
Post #1 of 43 (1422 views)
Shortcut

marriage--yes or no?
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking about just never getting married. Most people seem to get married at some point, kinda like it's "the thing to do," but it seems like it's pointless if you're just gonna split up eventually (like 50% of marriages). Anybody maintain long-term relationships without getting married?

Not getting married would make life a lot easier if things went south (at least, legally).

Partner tattooed_climber

Dec 27, 2006, 4:07 AM
Post #2 of 43 (1414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [collegekid] marriage--yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

legally>>>what a tool

hummm...i typically skip past the shit (and i do mean shit) you post....but troll or retard are the two thoughts in my head right now....so ya, youre a tool either way

(This post was edited by tattooed_climber on Dec 27, 2006, 4:13 AM)

Partner tattooed_climber

Dec 27, 2006, 4:10 AM
Post #3 of 43 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tattooed_climber] marriage--yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok ok...that was bad of me....calling you a tool (cus you post shit) is an insult to my tool chests full of tools for my truck and to my tool cabinate full of Machinist tools i use to make a living (all clearly useful and important....total opposite from your posts)

what should i refer to you as???

styndall

Dec 27, 2006, 4:40 AM
Post #4 of 43 (1398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tattooed_climber wrote:
legally>>>what a tool

hummm...i typically skip past the shit (and i do mean shit) you post....but troll or retard are the two thoughts in my head right now....so ya, youre a tool either way

What are you even talking about?

timstich

Dec 27, 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #5 of 43 (1396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you need a nice, torrid marriage and divorce before you start getting all jaded about marriage, collegekid. And make sure you have a very expensive wedding. Cool

melekzek

Dec 27, 2006, 5:07 AM
Post #6 of 43 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timstich] marriage--yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

timstich wrote:
I think you need a nice, torrid marriage and divorce before you start getting all jaded about marriage

i do not need to do that, my parents already did this for me Tongue

collegekid

Dec 27, 2006, 5:19 AM
Post #7 of 43 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [melekzek] marriage--yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

melekzek wrote:
timstich wrote:
I think you need a nice, torrid marriage and divorce before you start getting all jaded about marriage

i do not need to do that, my parents already did this for me Tongue

I second that!

collegekid

Dec 27, 2006, 5:24 AM
Post #8 of 43 (1376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tattooed_climber wrote:
ok ok...that was bad of me....calling you a tool (cus you post shit) is an insult to my tool chests full of tools for my truck and to my tool cabinate full of Machinist tools i use to make a living (all clearly useful and important....total opposite from your posts)

what should i refer to you as???

Yeah and the rest of this website is full of so much useful information...Crazy Anyway this is community, you should expect no better. If you can't figure out your own nickname to give me, then you are hopelessly lame.

Partner bear829

Dec 27, 2006, 5:30 AM
Post #9 of 43 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right now, you may think that you don't want to ever get married, but you aren't mature enough to make that kind of decision. You may be a twenty something guy, but inside, you're a scared little twelve year old. Later on, down the road, you might find a girl or guy that you fall hopelessly in love with and don't want to let them go. You only have one life, if you go through it with a lack of gusto, you are going to die even uglier than you already are, alone, and in a puddle of your own poop. Take my advice, just live your life the way you want. Stop asking stupid questions that no one can answer for you. You are the only one that can make decisions for you.

timstich

Dec 27, 2006, 5:35 AM
Post #10 of 43 (1368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bear829] marriage--yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So what if your parents had a bad marriage and got divorced? So did mine. And my first marriage ended...er...is still in the process of ending. In any case, don't ever let yourselves get jaded and sour about these sorts of things. Marriage can be very wonderful and something to cherish. So quit yer whinin' you young whippersnappers and have at it.

(This post was edited by timstich on Dec 27, 2006, 5:36 AM)

Partner wideguy

Dec 27, 2006, 6:28 AM
Post #11 of 43 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

collegekid wrote:
Not getting married would make life a lot easier if things went south (at least, legally).

You're right. And if you're a chicken shit, take the easy way out.

Otherwise, when you find someone who will put up with you, and who you find yourself in love with, sack up and take your chances.

The best shit isn't easy. Never is, never has been, never will be.

GunksMonkey

Dec 27, 2006, 6:52 AM
Post #12 of 43 (1343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll let you know once my divorce is finalized...

bizarrodrinker

Dec 27, 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #13 of 43 (1316 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] marriage--yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
collegekid wrote:

Otherwise, when you find someone who will put up with you, and who you find yourself in love with, sack up and take your chances.

He's got a point.

Plus. You will be hard pressed to find a girl who will sustain a life long relationship without at least living with you and then after a certain amount of time you run into common law marriage (i.e. marriage by default). There's no way around it with women (or men if thats your thing). Deal with it like everyone else unless you want to be single. Which is fine, just another way to go.

bill413

Dec 27, 2006, 1:42 PM
Post #14 of 43 (1310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] marriage--yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:
wideguy wrote:
collegekid wrote:

He's got a point.

Plus. You will be hard pressed to find a girl who will sustain a life long relationship without at least living with you and then after a certain amount of time you run into common law marriage (i.e. marriage by default). There's no way around it with women (or men if thats your thing). Deal with it like everyone else unless you want to be single. Which is fine, just another way to go.
Also....living together without being married creates all sorts of legal hiccups in your life. Things like proving residency, getting insurance. My insurance company won't put domestic partner's vehicles on the same policy - so it's either two seperate insurance policies, or one of us has to own both vehicles in order to get a cheaper rate.
And, if you decide to have kids....things can get even more fun - especially if later on things don't work out.
Just some things to consider in the making of blanket statements.

reno

Dec 27, 2006, 2:28 PM
Post #15 of 43 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] marriage--yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:

Exactly right.

chadnsc

Dec 27, 2006, 2:40 PM
Post #16 of 43 (1297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

college kid

I think you're about 12 so I'll keep this simple for you. You are a fool, that or a bad troll. Either way with your attitude towards relationships and work you should just stay single and never procreate.

robbovius

Dec 27, 2006, 3:15 PM
Post #17 of 43 (1290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bear829 wrote:
You only have one life, if you go through it with a lack of gusto, you are going to die even uglier than you already are, alone, and in a puddle of your own poop.

awesome ;-)

blueeyedclimber

Dec 27, 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #18 of 43 (1276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] marriage--yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marraige itself is not the problem. Marriage is only a legal binding between two people. THese are the problems:

1) Marrying the wrong person or for the wrong reasons.

2) defining marraige for other people.

3) Getting married becasue you are expected to. (see problem 1)

4) Interfering in people's right to marry (see problem 2)

Marriage in itself is not great or horrible. The connection you have mentally, physically, and emotionally to another person is. My first marriage was to the wrong person, but I got a wonderful daughter out of it. My second marraige makes me feel connected on so many levels to another person. I am not going to say that marriage is right for you because it is not that simple. Marriage MIGHT be right for you with the right person. Until you meet that person, you will continue to ask questions about it. Hell, yo may even think that you found the right person, marry her (or him), and then find out he/she wasn't. Or worse, they were the right person, but you were too stupid to realize it.

Josh

Partner j_ung

Dec 27, 2006, 5:36 PM
Post #19 of 43 (1234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

collegekid wrote:
I was thinking about just never getting married. Most people seem to get married at some point, kinda like it's "the thing to do," but it seems like it's pointless if you're just gonna split up eventually (like 50% of marriages). Anybody maintain long-term relationships without getting married?

CK, the only sane thing to do is cross that bridge when you come to it. Asking, "should I marry?" is nowhere near as good a way to make a decision as asking yourself, "should I marry this particular person?"

(This post was edited by j_ung on Dec 27, 2006, 5:37 PM)

shortfatoldguy

Dec 27, 2006, 5:42 PM
Post #20 of 43 (1229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having been married for twenty years, divorced, and in a new (wonderful) relationship, I'll say that the best thing I ever heard said about marriage was this: "You should get married only as a last resort." Meaning: get married only when you can't think of any other way to express your feelings for and commitment to your partner.

wjca

Dec 27, 2006, 5:49 PM
Post #21 of 43 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shortfatoldguy] marriage--yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are my two gems on marriage, the first of which I followed, the second of which I learned too late:

First: Marry a skiny woman. They only get bigger after you're married.

Second: Don't marry for money. Instead, hang around with rich people until you fall in love with one of them.

bizarrodrinker

Dec 27, 2006, 5:53 PM
Post #22 of 43 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] marriage--yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

how 'bout this one:

You know about the 3 rings of marriage yes?

First you have the engagment ring, then comes the wedding ring, and finally when all is said and done on comes the suffering.

shimanilami

Dec 27, 2006, 9:03 PM
Post #23 of 43 (1177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Sweden and Norway, the majority of "long term" relationships are not actually marriages. Scandinavians have kids together, own homes together, share income, etc. without requiring the marriage thing, and their commitments tend to last longer than ours.

This illustrates a point: commitment is the most important thing, not the label of "marriage" or "domestic partnership". When you are fully willing to commit yourself to another person (or climbing, or a political cause, or a religion, etc.), then getting the "official stamp" (and any baggage that comes with it) is truly secondary. It will neither make or break the relationship.

I would guess that you are young, or a troll. If the former, then try not to get hung up on "technicalities" such as "marriage". Decide first whether you are truly commited to that person/thing for life. Once you know this, the rest will then fall into place.

If you are a troll, you're kind of sad.

(This post was edited by shimanilami on Dec 27, 2006, 10:43 PM)

charley

Dec 27, 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #24 of 43 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] marriage--yes or no? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Should you get married? Hell no. Don't have any offspring either.

organic

Dec 27, 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #25 of 43 (1132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bear829 wrote:
Right now, you may think that you don't want to ever get married, but you aren't mature enough to make that kind of decision. You may be a twenty something guy, but inside, you're a scared little twelve year old. Later on, down the road, you might find a girl or guy that you fall hopelessly in love with and don't want to let them go. You only have one life, if you go through it with a lack of gusto, you are going to die even uglier than you already are, alone, and in a puddle of your own poop. Take my advice, just live your life the way you want. Stop asking stupid questions that no one can answer for you. You are the only one that can make decisions for you.

wow hahahaha

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook