Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

uncasid

Dec 27, 2006, 6:12 AM
Post #26 of 63 (3610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AngusBeefheart] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I go for beer, it does a better job of replenishing my needs.. By the way, don't do this two parts water one part beer crap, it is a lie.

notch

Dec 27, 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #27 of 63 (3579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uncasid] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uncasid wrote:
I go for beer, it does a better job of replenishing my needs.. By the way, don't do this two parts water one part beer crap, it is a lie.
Actually, that's the formula for Rolling Rock. Ever wonder what that "33" is on the bottle? It's the percentage of actual beer.

Partner bdplayer

Dec 27, 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #28 of 63 (3577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notch] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So that's why my Guiness has been looking like Bass...

mtengaio

Dec 27, 2006, 3:31 PM
Post #29 of 63 (3567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you talking about Gatorade for post-exercise? Because it is completely useless to drink sport drinks while you're just gragging for a few hours or doing a gym session for a couple of hours. Water is all you need and a balanced diet.

Now for post excercise and to speed recovery I can see drinking a sports drink after a LONG DAY OF CLIMBING/HIKING but not a typical cragging session. People who say "it gives them a little boost while climbing" probably aren't eating as good as they should be then.

winglessangel

Dec 27, 2006, 4:11 PM
Post #30 of 63 (3549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtengaio] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most people here agree that plain gatorade and similars are not the way to go and you should mix with water in some ratio that works for you.

Some other people are saying just plain water is the correct way.

How about coconut water?

cchildre

Dec 27, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #31 of 63 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [piton] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"piton wrote:
stay away from gatorade. look for recharge by the kundson co. with the proper diet all you need is water

HEY THIS GUY WORKS FOR RECHARGE!!!!!!

LOL, JK

IMO, gatorade diluted to that level would have some appreciable effects. During the exercise in question, you don't want to pump the full strength stuff through your system. Sweating so much, you want more water than anything else. My observation has been that I can tell what my body needs. I will drink water first and foremost, but certain times I crave more and gatorade will usually satsify that need that water is unable to fill. I am not sure exactly what it is. I just know that days without any gatorade, I seem to never be able to get enough water. Maybe it is a craving for the sugar, only I know that something is amiss.

winglessangel

Dec 27, 2006, 4:25 PM
Post #32 of 63 (3543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [musicman1586] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

musicman1586 wrote:
Pretty sure about 2 years ago in like Popular Science or some magazine like that they published an article that was supposed to show once and for all that just plain water is better than anything else out there, including gatorade, and since then I've had trouble finding that info, guessing someone got paid to shut up or so, but I remember it was a good read, and in all honesty it does kind of make sense, because were evolved to use the universe's greatest solvent (h20 for those non-science types) most efficiently, it's what were designed to sustain ourself with as is most life on earth, so like I said, think it's logical that such an important thing would be the most important thing in all circumstances.

I disagree.

Ever heard of water poisoning? People on extasy drink 6 to 10 liters of water that changes the balance of their body chemicals and minerals and die?

In a not so extreme situation is my very common condition.
I have low blood pressure. If I sweat my minerals away it will go even lower, I'll feel bad, throw up or even pass out. I'll feel terrible thirst, I'll desire to drink a river of water but If I do drink TOO MUCH water I'll sweat more, produce more urine and feel sick even quicker.

For my long climbs I control myself to drink less water then I think I need. Just a taste of water after each pitch. I don't feel sick, but after a while dehydration starts to kick in I feel very tired.

So if I want to climb then I DO NEED an alternative that keeps me from dehydrate and doesn't make me feel sick. Or I'll just do like other animals in nature, play in the safe side, don't take risks.

jt512

Dec 27, 2006, 4:45 PM
Post #33 of 63 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [winglessangel] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

winglessangel wrote:
Most people here agree that plain gatorade and similars are not the way to go and you should mix with water in some ratio that works for you.

Most people are unaware of the numerous scientific experiments that have been conducted to determine the optimal concentrations of sugar and electrolytes in sports drinks, Gatorade in particular.

In reply to:
How about coconut water?

That was pretty random.

Jay

winglessangel

Dec 27, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #34 of 63 (3530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

winglessangel wrote:
How about coconut water?

That was pretty random.

Jay

not so much...

http://www.living-foods.com/...es/coconutwater.html

Quoting parts of the text:

"Coconut Water is a Natural Isotonic Beverage - The same level we have in our blood.
Coconut water contains more potassium (at about 294 mg) than most sports drinks (117 mg) and most energy drinks.
Coconut water has less sodium (25mg) where sports drinks have around 41mg and energy drinks have about 200 mg!
Coconut water has 5mg of Natural Sugars where sports and energy drinks range from 10-25mg of Altered Sugars.
Coconut water is very high in Chloride at 118mg, compared to sports drinks at about 39mg."

I was just wondering if anyone has experience drinking it during practice of these kind of sports.
Or if anyone knows or heard of an athlet who does.

(and before you imagine someone carrying 10 coconuts in a haulbag I'll alert you that many companies sell it in bottles or tetra packs.)

hirvimaki

Dec 27, 2006, 5:14 PM
Post #35 of 63 (3525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

winglessangel wrote:
(and before you imagine someone carrying 10 coconuts in a haulbag I'll alert you that many companies sell it in bottles or tetra packs.)

That takes the fun out of it, doesn't it?

Me likes coconut water! Although I've never tried it as a sports drink. I guess it is time to give it a go.

Thanks!

PB

phaedrus409

Dec 27, 2006, 5:19 PM
Post #36 of 63 (3521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hirvimaki] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be curious to see what effect altitude has on all of this. Anyone know anything about this? I just got to thinking that perhaps the necessary electrolytes, sugars, etc may (and probably do) differ based on your environment..

brutusofwyde

Dec 27, 2006, 7:20 PM
Post #37 of 63 (3490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phaedrus409] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a general rule, for walls and most long climbing days I mix gatorade at about 2/3 strength. But I also take about an equal amount of plain ol' water on walls.

Also quite often mix my own "sport drink" from lime crystals, sugar or glucose, sodium chloride and potassium chloride (and water of course).

It makes sense to have a hypotonic balance of electrolytes when treating for dehydration. The addition of glucose or complex sugars is a simple way to maintain blood sugar levels when engaging in activities that don't otherwise permit "refuelling on the run", balanced diet or no.

Hypertonic solutions are not optimum for treatment of dehydration.

For cragging it's some sort of soda with sugar and caffeine.

That said, never, NEVER water down your beer.

Brutus

(This post was edited by brutusofwyde on Dec 27, 2006, 7:21 PM)

plund

Dec 27, 2006, 8:07 PM
Post #38 of 63 (3482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notch wrote:
uncasid wrote:
Actually, that's the formula for Rolling Rock. Ever wonder what that "33" is on the bottle? It's the percentage of actual beer.

Been wondering for years WTF the '33' was all about (had a college roomie who swore by RR & Coors Light...I poured a Special Ex into a glass next to a glass of CL & had a good laugh)...thanks for the enlightenment!

reno

Dec 27, 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #39 of 63 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

winglessangel wrote:

Where's the fun in that??

"Rock!... er, Coconut!"

styleboy

Dec 28, 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #40 of 63 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always thought 33 was the percentage of piss in a rolling rock.. it sure tastes like it to me.

BirdDog

Dec 28, 2006, 8:07 PM
Post #41 of 63 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Couldn't find the link, but I have seen fairly credible studies showing that the body absorbs more fluid (water) from a 6% carb solution as compared to plain water.

I have mild hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and I do much better with a drink that has 6% (complex) carbs and protein. I use Accelerade, and no I don't work for the company. The protein helps keep the blood sugar levels stable. Gatorade gives me low blood sugar bonk if I drink more than a glass full.

I mix most of my drinks 1/2 strength, except after weight training when I need the carb/protein now for recovery.

Accelerade website has some interesting info - http://www.accelerade.com/index_ntscp.html

playouts1de

Dec 29, 2006, 1:25 AM
Post #42 of 63 (3404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BirdDog] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I find Gatorade a little strong too. I used to use it when I was laying hardwood floors in hundred degree heat and needed something other than water to replace the salts I was loosing. After around one month, I had a really weird headache and quit drinking the stuff and switched to electrolite pills. Headaches went away.

For anything related to endurance I now use Gookinaid Hydralite. Its amazing stuff. I ran 4 miles after downing almost a liter and didnt cramp. Everyone at the shop I was working at loved the stuff and I was set to disprove them. I got converted instead. BTW it hardly has a flavor, if thats what concerns you.

I usualy use water....unless I am going to be really pushing hard for a long time. Maybe Im just not climbing hard enough.

Adk

Dec 29, 2006, 2:24 AM
Post #43 of 63 (3400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [playouts1de] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Besides mixed drinks, beer and wine is there anything that we as humans like to drink full strength?

I would be willing to bet that if you gave athletes, I was one at a time when dinosaurs walked the earth, a choice of water or Gatoraid after they just worked out they would choose water. What is good for us may not appeal to our taste buds. This is why there are lots of flavors.

There is nothing wrong with drinking a mix of sugars and electrolites (ions that help to carry electrical current) after a work out. In fact, a drink that has an excess of these sugars and electrolytes is exactly what Gatoraid is. Yes, it is true that the original Gatoraid was developed in the 60's in Florida and it is true that the professor that developed it at the time was working with a Doctor to cure schizophrenia.
No dialysis patient ever suffers from it. Neat huh?

The myth: A 32 oz liquid bottle was designed to mix with 5 gal of water.
Fact: If they did design it this way "the company would go broke".

(This post was edited by Adk on Dec 29, 2006, 2:29 AM)

OverspeedCowboy

Dec 29, 2006, 3:30 AM
Post #44 of 63 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [playouts1de] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For recovery just drink chocolate milk
http://www.cbsnews.com/...md/main1342839.shtml

nilregrets

Dec 29, 2006, 4:01 AM
Post #45 of 63 (3382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [OverspeedCowboy] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Half Gatorade half water is the way to go. The only reason Gatorade is sold in full concentration is so that people who don't exorcise can drink it down like soda. But as stated before chocolate milk is the way to go.

jt512

Dec 29, 2006, 6:27 AM
Post #46 of 63 (3370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nilregrets] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nilregrets wrote:
Half Gatorade half water is the way to go. The only reason Gatorade is sold in full concentration is so that people who don't exorcise can drink it down like soda. But as stated before chocolate milk is the way to go.

I'm sorry, but this cannot be more wrong. As I have previously stated, there is a large body of scientific research into the optimal concentrations of carbohydrates and electrolytes in sports drinks, and Gatorade has, and always has had, as close to optimal concentrations as possible.

I challenge each and every one of you who has claimed that diluting gatorade increases its effectiveness for its intended purpose (rehydration for extended periods of high levels of exercise, especially in high temperatures) to present controlled scientific studies to support your claim.

Jay

styleboy

Dec 29, 2006, 7:22 AM
Post #47 of 63 (3367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I challenge each and every one of you to SEND me a gatorade so I can enjoy its thirst quenching abilities.

nilregrets

Dec 29, 2006, 1:12 PM
Post #48 of 63 (3363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
nilregrets wrote:

I'm sorry, but this cannot be more wrong. As I have previously stated, there is a large body of scientific research into the optimal concentrations of carbohydrates and electrolytes in sports drinks, and Gatorade has, and always has had, as close to optimal concentrations as possible.

I challenge each and every one of you who has claimed that diluting gatorade increases its effectiveness for its intended purpose (rehydration for extended periods of high levels of exercise, especially in high temperatures) to present controlled scientific studies to support your claim.

Jay

Run fifteen miles then try and drink a biottle. Then challenge everyone.

Partner devkrev

Dec 29, 2006, 1:32 PM
Post #49 of 63 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nilregrets] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem I have with gatorade isn't the concentration, its the ingredients.
High Fructose Corn Syrup isn't my carb of choice for extended endurance forays. After a while it just sits in my stomach like a rock. I have a much better time with Cytomax.
I usually just drink plain water when I am climbing though.

In reply to:
For recovery just drink chocolate milk
http://www.cbsnews.com/...md/main1342839.shtml

Thats why I hate the news. Most sports drinks are meant to be for recovering, you are suppose to drink them DURING exercise. Obviously chocolate(carbs) milk(protein) will do a better job at recovery than gatorade. Just like my computer is better at playing CDs than my television.

dev

(This post was edited by devkrev on Dec 29, 2006, 1:38 PM)

erclimb

Dec 29, 2006, 3:38 PM
Post #50 of 63 (3343 views)
Shortcut

Re: [organic] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

organic wrote:
I hardly see how this is logical in any sense. why would they waste their money when they could dilute it 1:20 and then sell it to you for the same price?

well, the straight gatorade tastes much better than the watered-down version, and most people who drink gatorade are not high-intensity athletes but weekend warriors who want to feel like (or look like)high-intensity athletes...and because these low-intensity athletes are not working hard enough to burn off all the electrolytes, they end up peeing them out, which makes them more thirsty, which makes them buy more gatorade

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook