Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Dec 29, 2006, 4:07 PM
Post #51 of 63 (1058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nilregrets] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nilregrets wrote:
jt512 wrote:
nilregrets wrote:
Half Gatorade half water is the way to go. The only reason Gatorade is sold in full concentration is so that people who don't exorcise can drink it down like soda. But as stated before chocolate milk is the way to go.

I'm sorry, but this cannot be more wrong. As I have previously stated, there is a large body of scientific research into the optimal concentrations of carbohydrates and electrolytes in sports drinks, and Gatorade has, and always has had, as close to optimal concentrations as possible.

I challenge each and every one of you who has claimed that diluting gatorade increases its effectiveness for its intended purpose (rehydration for extended periods of high levels of exercise, especially in high temperatures) to present controlled scientific studies to support your claim.

Jay

Run fifteen miles then try and drink a biottle. Then challenge everyone.

When I used to run long distances, I did drink Gatorade, mainly during the run. I don't know about a whole bottle. But I always found -- and this is precisely what studies have shown the formulation to promote -- that the formulation increases the amount of fluid that the athlete drinks.

I know that some people insist that subjective perceptions and anecdotes are more reliable than scientifically controlled studies, I just don't understand why.

Jay

jt512

Dec 29, 2006, 4:24 PM
Post #52 of 63 (1052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

devkrev wrote:
The problem I have with gatorade isn't the concentration, its the ingredients.
High Fructose Corn Syrup isn't my carb of choice for extended endurance forays.

In excess, fructose delays absorption of fluid from the intestine; however, in smaller concentrations, when combined with sucrose or glucose, fructose enhances fluid absorption, which is why gatorade contains some fructose.

Jay

jakedatc

Dec 29, 2006, 8:14 PM
Post #53 of 63 (1041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Run fifteen miles then try and drink a biottle. Then challenge everyone.

This is exactly what the research people at Gatorade do with athletes of multiple skill and intensity levels and perfect every aspect to increase fluid intake, electrolyte replacement etc etc..

but yea.. keep aruging with the nutritionist and scientists at gatorade..

National Athletic Trainers Association's Position Statement from the Journal of Athletic Training. though none of you will read it since it actually has accredited sources.
http://www.nata.org/statements/position/fluidreplacement.pdf

http://www.gssiweb.com/ Gatorade's research site

AngusBeefheart

Dec 29, 2006, 8:38 PM
Post #54 of 63 (1035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"an ingestion rate of 1 g/min [of carbohydrates] maintains optimal carbohydrate metabolism: for example, 1 L of a 6% CHO drink per hour"

so chugging a liter of gatorade after a long hard pitch isn't as effective as drinking it slowly (or, I dunno, perhaps diluting it?)

The article you provided also says plenty about athletes customizing their sports drinks, which says to me that maybe gatorade isn't the perfect blend for everyone.

[editted for hideous typos]

(This post was edited by AngusBeefheart on Dec 29, 2006, 8:40 PM)

sidepull

Dec 29, 2006, 8:44 PM
Post #55 of 63 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about chocolate milk?

http://www.tricities.com/...2006-12-27-0017.html

see #49

Also:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370

AngusBeefheart

Dec 29, 2006, 8:47 PM
Post #56 of 63 (1031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

next time out I'm taking a big glass of chocolate milk and a coconut...

Partner devkrev

Dec 29, 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #57 of 63 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
devkrev wrote:
The problem I have with gatorade isn't the concentration, its the ingredients.
High Fructose Corn Syrup isn't my carb of choice for extended endurance forays.

In excess, fructose delays absorption of fluid from the intestine; however, in smaller concentrations, when combined with sucrose or glucose, fructose enhances fluid absorption, which is why gatorade contains some fructose.

Jay

That might be the case, but gatorade still gives me "tummy aches" where other sports drinks I have tried do not. I'm just giving personal real world experience, trust me, I wouldn't try to go toe to toe with you on the science of it all.

dev

shazinky

Dec 29, 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #58 of 63 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AngusBeefheart] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While taking a "Backcountry Emergency Care" class the instructor told us the same as the original poster. That gatorade should be mixed with at least as much water.
I also have used the powder form while working on commercial fishing boats and found the flavor much too strong following there mix ratio.

reno

Dec 30, 2006, 2:14 AM
Post #59 of 63 (1007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I know that some people insist that subjective perceptions and anecdotes are more reliable than scientifically controlled studies, I just don't understand why.

Because they don't want to let facts get in the way of what they want to believe.

AngusBeefheart

Dec 30, 2006, 2:33 AM
Post #60 of 63 (1004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
National Athletic Trainers Association's Position Statement from the Journal of Athletic Training. though none of you will read it since it actually has accredited sources.
http://www.nata.org/statements/position/fluidreplacement.pdf

i find it funny that the paper you provided simply does not support your point at all. I know at least one person that didn't actually read it...

piton

Dec 30, 2006, 1:41 PM
Post #61 of 63 (984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay you should know better that high fructose corn syrup is just horrible for the human body.

think about the sodium potassium atpase pump and what gets pumped into the cells K+ and out of the cell Na+

flyinglow

Dec 30, 2006, 5:25 PM
Post #62 of 63 (971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pastprime] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Universally, everyone thought the manufacturers of these potions wanted them mixed too thick. Most common ratio was about twice as much water as the directions indicated.

I'm not a champion at the level of the people pastprime was mentioning, but i've done a lot of testing on myself while mountain biking, and i've had some similar results.

I've used gatorade, gu2o, and accelerade. accelerade is what i'm currently using, but gu2o also worked about as well, and slightly better than gatorade.

My testing was done over the course of half a year riding in different conditions. I rode as fast as i felt i could maintain under the conditions. The trail i usually ride takes about 2 hours to complete a lap.
Using straight water, i get muscle cramping that starts usually around an hour in. I end up having to take breaks to rest, and allow my body to recover.
With all of the sports drinks, i get muscle cramping which sets in somewhere between 1:15 and 1:45 into the ride when the drink is mixed at the manufacturers spec.
This can be significantly improved by decreasing the concentration of drink mix/water. (i can usually go 1/2-1 hour longer before cramping using diuted sports drinks)
For me the optimal concentration seems to be around 2/3-3/4 of the recommended concentration. this almost always allows me to finish my rides without bonking, and without severe cramping towards the end of the ride.
I've tried as low as 1/2 of the recommended dosage, and while that worked better than water, I usually felt drained toward the end of the ride.

If my conditioning was better it's possible that the optimal concentration of liquid/carbs could be different. I only trained/did cardio 4-6 hours a week during the period i'm referring to

These results aren't truly scientific, but they're the best thing i've got to go on, as they apply directly to me under the harshest conditions i can muster on a regular basis. It's what works for me.

As for climbing, i've never had big problems with dehydration affecting my abilities. it doesn't seem to be as intense(over the course of a day) as endurance running or cycling. Although i've gotten mildly dehydrated from not drinking enough water, i've never "bonked" from a day of cragging.
I usually carry ~1/2 gallon water, and a quart of gatorade, as well as a few snacks with me for a day of cragging and have never had any problems.

ltj16hb

Dec 30, 2006, 5:46 PM
Post #63 of 63 (970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c22] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

c22 wrote:
I too find gatorade to be somewhat lacking, but it seems to me that adding a little pharmaceutical grade cocaine does the trick just fine.

ahhh my first laugh this morning... thank you

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook