Forums: Community: Campground:
What Tadie has been up to for the last 8 months...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

Partner tattooed_climber

Dec 31, 2006, 3:36 AM
Post #1 of 5 (435 views)
Shortcut

What Tadie has been up to for the last 8 months...
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, 8 months ago (May 10th) I started my Machinist / CNC program at BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology)

Quitting work and becoming a full time student has fucked with my climbing, though, for the first 4 months of my course i couldn't put on my harness without screaming in pain (had a serious accident at work just before i quit there)...and not being able to afford insurance for my truck had alot more to do with it

i've missed climbing and at the same time i haven't...course i got out afew times on the rock (mainly bigwall solo stuff), i've done some gear leads...i haven't missed it because i've been having too much fun being a machinist and i know this is something i want to do for the rest of my life

I'm now done the first term of my course (Machinist ELTT, which is all manual machining) i've also passed the 1st year apprenticeship exam (i'm an unregistered 2nd Year Machinist now)....got 91.2% on that exam and averaged %90 - %100 on all my projects and tests

heres a thread i did awhile ago showing the BCIT machine shop:
By demand, Tadies Shop (BCIT) (pics n stuff)

in 5 days i start my Co-op Term at a local Machine Shop here in Port Coquitlam, its a 15min walk from my house and its a small 5 man Jobber Shop, Prefect! They do Manual, and CNC. As well they do some Steel Fabercation on the side, so all my skills (and welding ticketsTongue) as a fitter/welder won't go lost. The Owner is this super cool Polish dude, and no problem for me to get my red seals through him (i want both the Machinist and CNC trades tickets)

I just finished re-organizing (and photographing) my 41" Tool Cabinet (which is packed full of tools) and tomorrow i'll drop it off at the new shop

Course, i did alot of projects at school (and even more side-projects), theres too many to list
Here's afew of my (more useful) projects

(This post was edited by tattooed_climber on Dec 31, 2006, 4:04 AM)

yak

Dec 31, 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #2 of 5 (402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tattooed_climber] What Tadie has been up to for the last 8 months... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey tadie....that's awesome.

im starting a fitter/machinist apprenticeship next year...well i've already been signed up but don't start the classes until february...we have a cnc milling machine at work that im gonna be using and we have a few manual machines that i will get to use next year when we move into a bigger shed...can't wait...well i know who to send messages to if i get stuck :)

charley

Dec 31, 2006, 2:04 PM
Post #3 of 5 (399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yak] What Tadie has been up to for the last 8 months... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is great. It is so nice to have a job doing something you like. I hope you end up with a nice boss, too.

tradrenn

Dec 31, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #4 of 5 (376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tattooed_climber] What Tadie has been up to for the last 8 months... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tattooed_climber wrote:
The Owner is this super cool Polish dude, and no problem for me to get my red seals through him (i want both the Machinist and CNC trades tickets)

TC You guys have a CNC ticket in BC ?
Last time I checked (2001) in ON we only had a manual machinist ticket here.

Some pics from my shop:

Partner tattooed_climber

Dec 31, 2006, 8:38 PM
Post #5 of 5 (363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] What Tadie has been up to for the last 8 months... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ya....we have a CNC ticket in BC...lots of dudes have both tickets....and BCIT has two CNC courses...CNC Machinist, and CNC Op (programer vs button pusher)

after my program is done i'll be a 2nd year apprentice machinist, and a 2nd year apprentice CNC...i'm not %100 sure if i can do both apprenticeships at once, but while i'm doing my apprenticeships, i'll be going back to bcit part-time for my C welding ticket (i'll be able to challenge it) ....well, i'd do my machinist apprenticeship before CNC....if i do CNC before machinist i could end up as a button pusher

nice shop there tradrenn...theres a nice radial arm drill

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook